Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Well, that makes that easier. The hunt continues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't see what the original ad was and you didn't indicate what the car was at all...

What are you looking for exactly? The Miata's clutch is like doing a 10lb leg press, so even if you have a bum left knee, looking for a manual car should be viable.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Going to parrot what Phone said. The OEM Miata clutch is roughly 16 lbs. It's feather light. You really should try driving a manual Miata.

Unless you have already and we just look like jackasses for telling you to drive a manual car.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
It was a 2000 Miata, someone else bought it so it's a bit moot. I haven't tested a manual one yet, I'll give it a shot when one pops up. My knee isn't that fragile, I'm just going off of my experience with older (lovely) cars that didn't agree with me. Thanks all.

E: comedy alternative I think about every now and then, but forget anyways. MR2 Spyder with their funky autoclutch sequential transmission.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 1, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the zzw30 smt by all accounts is a miserable box to deal with, like 500ms (optimistic) shifts

that said... i have seen a lot of them somewhat recently with hardtops and a 2AR-FE swap does seem to be kind of enticing... 205whp/190ft-lbs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txbkFiOZtU4

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Keep hearing the Be-beep chime x3 in my NC1. Not sure what it means. All doors are closed, trunk is closed, PRHT is all the way up/down, lights are either on or off, smart key is inside the car.

Any ideas?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm currently deliberating this, wanted someone else's opinion.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/swannanoa-2000-mazda-miata-mx5/7114466783.html

My problems with it are the front bumper gap to the hood seems a bit larger than it should (didn't wiggle or move under hand pressure, but I don't know if it's sagging or if I'm just not familiar with it), the shifter feels wobbly (from what I've read it's worn out bushings, shouldn't be too hard to fix but still, first impression wasn't very favorable) and the stereo doesn't work. The top seems secure at speed, no tears and he said no leaks, the interior is worn, but not excessively so for its age. Yes I know automatic is usually the wrong way to go with miatas, but bum knee so manual isn't really that viable.

Is there anything else I need to check, or bargain over? I'm leaning towards walking away from it and waiting for one in better condition.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/167140024538952/

$4000 1994 Miata with Auto in black 139,593 miles

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Oh drat, I think I saw that car recently too (or at least another black NA). Guess I need to re-open my facebook account.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 1, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

Oh drat, I think I saw that car recently too (or at least another black NA). Guess I need to re-open my facebook account.

What years are you interested in? I saw a decent NC with an Auto as well.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Coredump posted:

What years are you interested in? I saw a decent NC with an Auto as well.

I always preferred the NB's styling, but I'm open to the NA and NC as well. Price is a bigger sticking point, I was wanting to keep it below 5 grand or so.

E:vvv I'm 5'8, not too worried about height. Width might be trickier in an NA though, I'm well insulated. The NB I test drove was cozy but not claustrophobic. And yeah, I imagine the 1.6 with the auto would be slow as hell.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 1, 2020

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Are you tall? I'm 6' with a long torso and fit the NA much better than the NC and way better than the NB. The seat-roof ratio is just right in the NA, and the NB feels like a skyjacker for some reason. I've heard NA automatics are peak miserable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NA automatics aren't horrible, I bought one for my MIL years ago in Florida and shipped it up to her in western NY. It was still fun to drive around the back twisties, way better than a loving minivan which was the alternative when we went to visit lol.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Are you tall? I'm 6' with a long torso and fit the NA much better than the NC and way better than the NB. The seat-roof ratio is just right in the NA, and the NB feels like a skyjacker for some reason. I've heard NA automatics are peak miserable.

That's odd, I'm 6'1 with a long torso and was too tall for my NA (tried foamectomy and everything), but just squeeze by in my NC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Auto NCs are garbage.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So passed my test a few months ago. Couldn't think of a better first car.

2.0l sport tech. Got a fantastic deal on it too. I've always longed for the open seas.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
drat good choice!

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Has anyone found a decent bike rack install/solution for their miata? Looking for recs (ND if it matters)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I have a Hard Dog Hideaway hitch for mine. It adds a 1.25" hitch which is removable from the base structure. The install is not too bad and just involves removing the rear bumper. Be sure to get the anti-rattle kit because the removable part does not fit flush.

For the actual rack, I have a Kuat Transfer 2 which is pretty good for the price. If you have money to burn then get a 1up rack which are really really nice.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Butternubs posted:

So passed my test a few months ago. Couldn't think of a better first car.

2.0l sport tech. Got a fantastic deal on it too. I've always longed for the open seas.

my friend bought the cheapest facelift phrt in the uk at the time conveniently located in the north of scotland. got it back down south and then took it off the road, completely re-undersealed it and we then swapped the entire suspension and driveline from a 2016 nc onto it. this was last summer, we only got it on the road a couple of weeks ago.

It's been a fun experience mostly and I'm still impressed with how refined the nc is, the next step is to goad him into getting a supercharger kit for it.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

track day bro! posted:

my friend bought the cheapest facelift phrt in the uk at the time conveniently located in the north of scotland. got it back down south and then took it off the road, completely re-undersealed it and we then swapped the entire suspension and driveline from a 2016 nc onto it. this was last summer, we only got it on the road a couple of weeks ago.

It's been a fun experience mostly and I'm still impressed with how refined the nc is, the next step is to goad him into getting a supercharger kit for it.

Sounds familiar! I had this one delivered from >250 miles away. It's going to be my daily driver for a while so won't be doing anything major with it for now but I've got some plans when I'm tired of that. I don't think the NCs are popular enough that it'll be worth selling when I'm done with it so might as well stick a V8 in it or something else insane and throw it round a track until it disintegrates. I'm already fantasising about turbo kits that are worth more than I payed for the car...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2.5L swaps are an easy way to play Mazda legos that’s good for about ~195-205 at the wheel over the 140 stock.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

2.5L swaps are an easy way to play Mazda legos that’s good for about ~195-205 at the wheel over the 140 stock.

Problem is in europe the market for 2.5L petrol engines is tiny, it only came in one model of Mazda 6 over here and 99% of Mazda 6's are diesels as they'd end up being sold as a company cars which usually end up being the most frugal model. Even then Mazda 6's aren't that common a car here either.

I can see why you guys do it because it also came in 9000 different ford models.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

track day bro! posted:

Problem is in europe the market for 2.5L petrol engines is tiny, it only came in one model of Mazda 6 over here and 99% of Mazda 6's are diesels as they'd end up being sold as a company cars which usually end up being the most frugal model. Even then Mazda 6's aren't that common a car here either.

I can see why you guys do it because it also came in 9000 different ford models.

It's not THAT expensive to have one shipped over from the US :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Re the black NA on Facebook -- fwiw I paid $3800 for a '92 NA with 68k miles on the clock, a 1-owner/1-mechanic-who-bought-it-and-never-drove-it-for-18-months before selling it on to me. I found it on craiglist on the first day I went looking for Miatas and bought it that afternoon.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

I always preferred the NB's styling, but I'm open to the NA and NC as well. Price is a bigger sticking point, I was wanting to keep it below 5 grand or so.

E:vvv I'm 5'8, not too worried about height. Width might be trickier in an NA though, I'm well insulated. The NB I test drove was cozy but not claustrophobic. And yeah, I imagine the 1.6 with the auto would be slow as hell.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/676145863181468/

1999 White Auto 166,440 miles for $2500

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Just took my MX-5 out for the first time. I know people say these babies are slow but I learned to drive in a Megane and compared to that, this thing accelerates like a rocket, plenty of speed for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Speaking of slow, a friend of mine and I got onto an abandoned airstrip and had a rolling start drag race. I lost by maybe half car length against the most shameful bmw, a 116. I think I really need a supercharger.

E: oh you got a 2l NC, that makes things (slightly) better

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Just took my MX-5 out for the first time. I know people say these babies are slow but I learned to drive in a Megane and compared to that, this thing accelerates like a rocket, plenty of speed for me.

miata power is only a real concern in the states where you might have to pass a dodge ram who does 70 in the passing zones and 35 on turns

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just did the head gasket/ timing belt on my friends ‘01 NB BRG SE with VVT (the acronym special) and it felt quite a bit faster... and smoother and better than my ‘95 NA.

Kind of makes me wish I started with an NB, but oh well mine should still be great when I’m done upgrading it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Miatas are fast to 35, which is the more important metric for this car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Miatas are fast to 35, which is the more important metric for this car.

Yeah, they’re excellent city cars - I don’t understand why people think only compact hatches can fill that role.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

blk posted:

Yeah, they’re excellent city cars - I don’t understand why people think only compact hatches can fill that role.

Whenever I park in San Francisco I worry about the softtop getting ripped into for theft (not sure how much this actually happens but I'm sure it does), also there's not really much space for costco sized bags of toilet paper

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

For every 24-hour interval your car is street parked in SF, the probability it will be broken into increases 2-3 percentage points. I’m so glad I have a garage spot. Even then, just running errands has left my bumper with a few scrapes from license plate holder screws.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Yeah if I was street parking this in a city with crime I’d get a hardtop

blk
Dec 19, 2009
True, I opted for a PRHT this time around. I used to just leave the doors unlocked my NA and keep it empty. People got in a couple of times, but no feces or needles. There are about 2-3 breakins a night reported on NextDoor; it’s crazy.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Popping these bearings out today with an actual press and not some combo of a sledge hammer and various wood/debris from around my garage was a real treat.

If Nocheeze is still reading this thread his old nb is getting a nice refresh with some low mileage nb2 control arms and new hubs, hopefully in time for MATG.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

In the process of wet sanding and polishing, I burned through the clear and base coats down to primer in a couple spots :cry: I'm so gutted about it I just want to throw in the towel.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Whenever I park in San Francisco I worry about the softtop getting ripped into for theft (not sure how much this actually happens but I'm sure it does), also there's not really much space for costco sized bags of toilet paper

But you can transport very long items with the top down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ethanol posted:

miata power is only a real concern in the states where you might have to pass a dodge ram who does 70 in the passing zones and 35 on turns

There is a section of my work commute that is several miles of twisty two lane road with no passing zones except at either end.

I need an LS swap.