Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Like....what does this mean prequel? Cause I think by now we have almost everything and alternate takes on stuff from the Transformers universe. Unless it is prequel to the classic movie that sets it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

Like....what does this mean prequel? Cause I think by now we have almost everything and alternate takes on stuff from the Transformers universe. Unless it is prequel to the classic movie that sets it up

The entire 1984-1985 cartoon series was a prequel to the 1986 movie. We would assume this is a prequel to the Bumblebee movie, but who knows now.

There's also a Netflix animated series about the War on Cybertron based on last year's comic and toys to be released in June.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Godzilla 2014 is afraid of showing the monster like it's ashamed that it's a kaiju film or something.

I wanna see a absurdly large lizard piledrive a mean looking blanket into some miniatures goddamn it.

I've never understood this argument. G14 shows plenty of Godzilla, it just likes to build the sense of anticipation.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The MSJ posted:

The entire 1984-1985 cartoon series was a prequel to the 1986 movie. We would assume this is a prequel to the Bumblebee movie, but who knows now.

There were even episodes of the G1 series that went back in time to the creation of the Transformers, to the beginning of the Great War, to them ending up on Earth.

The whole timeline has been covered.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

CheshireCat posted:

Did Godzilla 2014 have a Puffy Daddy/Jimmy Page song collaboration? Thought not. :smug:

If it counts, Godzilla: King of the Monsters from last year had a cover of Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. But this version has Serj Tankian, Brendon Small and Gene Hoglan (of Dethklok), an orchestra, and taiko drumming/chanting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There needs to be a Transformers cartoon based on the More than Meets the Eye comic book. Gay robot buddies having wacky space adventures with their pal Megatron. It'd print money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HannibalBarca posted:

I will concede that G'98 at least made Godzilla explicitly the result of nuclear testing. G'14 opted for some (IMO underwhelming) mythology about an ancient race of radioactive god-monsters and blah blah blah

That's literally more accurate to the original movies.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Action Jacktion posted:

There needs to be a Transformers cartoon based on the More than Meets the Eye comic book. Gay robot buddies having wacky space adventures with their pal Megatron. It'd print money.

More Than Meets The Queer Eye

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Capn Jobe posted:

If it counts, Godzilla: King of the Monsters from last year had a cover of Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. But this version has Serj Tankian, Brendon Small and Gene Hoglan (of Dethklok), an orchestra, and taiko drumming/chanting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

Not to nitpick, but Gene Hoglan is probably one of the most prolific drummers in all of metal and he predates Dethklok by like two decades. There's a reason they credited him and Small separately and didn't just say "half of Dethklok" even if that would be technically accurate; dude commands some level of real respect in metal, given that he's drummed for Death, Testament, Dark Angel, Strapping Young Lad and Fear Factory (just off the top of my head).

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I really think G98’s big misstep is going all Jurassic Park with the baby Zillas in the third act. Why assume everyone wants to see that instead of just focusing the film on mommy G with the possibility of babies as a teaser at the end?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, when people go “they needed more Godzilla, less of the other monsters” I always wonder if they’ve ever actually seen a Godzilla movie. The baddies always dominate the first half alongside whatever human story is going on, with Godzilla being a brief interlude as he’s vacationing somewhere, until finally the bad kaiju does something bad enough around the halfway point that Big G gets pissed off, comes ashore, slaps it around a bit until it dies or goes away, then goes back to bed.

There are movies that don’t follow this formula, of course, but they usually are stories directly about Godzilla (like Destroyah and the whole “melting down” thing), or are like that one that’s more about a latchkey kid getting lost in Tokyo that I’m pretty sure just used old footage like a clip show.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I can at least remember aspects of Godzilla 98 unlike 2014 which I can barely remember a single thing about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I remember that it had Ferris Bueller and Jean Reno in it. And that's it.

Also something about Madison Square Garden and eggs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It also rained a lot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and people outright miss the whole point of the first half of the movie is the monsters are seen framed through TVs, windows and apertures, as a recurring motif. It's not very subtle about it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I like 98 Godzilla. Dunno if it's a good "godzilla" movie, but it's fun taken on it's own. Had a fun cartoon, too.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Action Jacktion posted:

Heck yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My guess is 'Prequel' as Transformers go might mean a movie primarily set on Cybertron showing the lead-up to the bigass war rather than the usual hit-the-ground-running approach. Which is a lot more interesting than it sounds- Cybertron is a hosed up place.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m a fan of robbits that turn into other robbits.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The recent Transformers comics have taken a lot of details we take for granted when we were kids and made them pretty serious stuff. Why does Shockwave have a camera head and only one hand? Turns out it was a punishment in the old days of Cybertron. Why does Soundwave have animal robots living in his chest? He was born with the ability to read minds which almost drove him insane until he met oppressed minorities beast-formers like Laserbeak and Ravage who helped him control it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Cybertron has a long, long history of despotic rule, racial oppression and imperialism, leading to the planet being a total powder keg by the time Megatron comes along.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUk7bbeIr2U

man it must be getting real cheap to make movies

is there a spooky christian thread for this type of poo poo?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is this a Christian movie? Cuz he basically pulled a logic on the muslim guy with the Allah thing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Trollipop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUk7bbeIr2U

man it must be getting real cheap to make movies

is there a spooky christian thread for this type of poo poo?

okay this is gonna be a long quarantine I'm gonna have to save the second half

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alan Smithee posted:

is this a Christian movie? Cuz he basically pulled a logic on the muslim guy with the Allah thing

Yes. But it's remarkably weird and well-done for those meager standards, so it's been making the rounds.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do they even do the whole "But you muslims revere Jesus too!"

"muahaha that's just how evil we are!" thing or did they not even do that much research

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
They actually do point out that Jesus is a prophet, yeah, and in fact part of the film does revolve around "Look, let's do as little damage to the timeline as possible in trying to assassinate Jesus. We just want to stop Christianity... no witnesses means it's all good, bro!"

This is the most I'll say because it's loving buckwild and I feel I've already tipped some hand.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Shouldn't they have been trying to murder Peter or Paul or the council of Nicaea then?
Or at least Tertullian, that absolute fucker

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At first I thought it's just a Christian ripoff of Assassin's Creed, but this is apparently someone throwing a 21st century Clancy and Crichton novel adaptation into a telepod together.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Godzilla 98 also had the Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page some Come With Me, which everyone secretly likes.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ancient race of god-monsters was really only Mothra's thing back in the day. Maybe Varan if you want to be pedantic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

ancient race of god-monsters was really only Mothra's thing back in the day. Maybe Varan if you want to be pedantic.

Godzilla was at least as old as the dinosaurs and that's pretty drat ancient.

Mind you, I have an inordinate fondness for Skull Island and its batshit insane ecosystem of horrors.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

They actually do point out that Jesus is a prophet, yeah, and in fact part of the film does revolve around "Look, let's do as little damage to the timeline as possible in trying to assassinate Jesus. We just want to stop Christianity... no witnesses means it's all good, bro!"

This is the most I'll say because it's loving buckwild and I feel I've already tipped some hand.

If I watch that whole video is it still bad movie night material

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Godzilla was at least as old as the dinosaurs and that's pretty drat ancient.

Mind you, I have an inordinate fondness for Skull Island and its batshit insane ecosystem of horrors.

well yeah, but the distinction I'm drawing is that the original Godzilla leans pretty hard into "abomination born of atomic testing", something that G'98 at least touches on, even if there's absolutely no depth involved (and they fob responsibility off onto France, which, eh)

G'14 feels something like a more technically competent and less psychedelic version of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (Godzilla used as plot resolution device; plot primarily driven by antagonist monster with environmental destruction themes), and there's nothing wrong with that, per se. But a lot of the hype and buz for the movie leaned into Godzilla himself as nuclear allegory, which the movie didn't exactly deliver on. Eh. Probably no use rehashing five-and-a-half year old arguments at this point, to be fair.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Godzilla 98 also had the Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page some Come With Me, which everyone secretly likes.

But not as much as Deeper Underground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUAC03YMlA

And "No Shelter" by Rage Against The Machine, which is wild if you listen to the actual lyrics.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 1, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HannibalBarca posted:

G'14 feels something like a more technically competent and less psychedelic version of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (Godzilla used as plot resolution device; plot primarily driven by antagonist monster with environmental destruction themes), and there's nothing wrong with that, per se. But a lot of the hype and buz for the movie leaned into Godzilla himself as nuclear allegory, which the movie didn't exactly deliver on. Eh. Probably no use rehashing five-and-a-half year old arguments at this point, to be fair.

I think the key to understanding is that G14 doesn't use Godzilla as a nuclear allegory, because that's a metaphor that would be largely lost on a modern American audience. He and the Mutos are instead an allegory for climate change and environmental apocalypse - note how the Mutos are awakened by strip mining. Original recipe Godzilla actively hated humanity and went out of his way to attack humans. G14 is barely aware humans even exist and there's not a drat thing we can do to stop him once he's moving.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and people outright miss the whole point of the first half of the movie is the monsters are seen framed through TVs, windows and apertures, as a recurring motif. It's not very subtle about it.

I got the point, the movie was just boring as gently caress outside of the 20 minutes of battle at the end.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I think the key to understanding is that G14 doesn't use Godzilla as a nuclear allegory, because that's a metaphor that would be largely lost on a modern American audience. He and the Mutos are instead an allegory for climate change and environmental apocalypse - note how the Mutos are awakened by strip mining. Original recipe Godzilla actively hated humanity and went out of his way to attack humans. G14 is barely aware humans even exist and there's not a drat thing we can do to stop him once he's moving.

Yeah, that's what the movie was going for. But, for me, the most integral and interesting part of Godzilla movies (the ones trying to be serious anyway, which G'14 definitely was, if you take the comments of the creative team at face value (which...well, that's another discussion)) is the relationship between Godzilla as an idea and humanity, whether as a whole or the individual characters themselves. I felt like G'14 had pretty slim pickings in that regard. And look, I get that the Godzilla sequels for the most part gradually lost interest in that angle too. But for a movie meant to reintroduce Godzilla as a character to global audiences, it felt like Godzilla was almost an afterthought in terms of plotting and story. For the record, this is not a screen-time argument; I'm just saying that Godzilla didn't feel like a particularly fleshed-out part of the narrative.

I know that it's insane to expect anything like G'54 to be made in modern America with a blockbuster budget. But I still feel like there was more that could have been done to make Godzilla the center of the film. Something like Godzilla 2000, where there's an antagonist monster for Godzilla to fight but the relationship between Godzilla and the characters is still a fundamental part of the film, seems like it would have been a good blueprint for that. As hinted at above, I have a sneaking suspicion that there were some studio dictates and creative limitations that led to this, but that's just my opinion.

In any event, G'14 is a much better Godzilla movie than G'98 was, even I do think there are some fair criticisms to make of the former. I can't exactly fault non-fans who find more stuff to remember from G'98, but the memorable stuff is memorable mostly by virtue of being truly abysmal.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Godzilla 98 sound track is GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I completely forgot that Godzilla 98 was a Roland Emmerich movie. Also kind of funny that he completely switched gears for The Patriot next.