Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Yeah, super high temps in prime95 isn't something to really worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's still 20 degrees below throttling so that's not even "super" high. The "65W" i7-8700 will draw almost 150 W (ie. only a little bit less than the "95W" i7-8700k) with AVX if you let it. It's pretty neat that we're running these things with low profile coolers at all :v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't seem to have an option to AVX or MCE in the BIOS for my ASRock Z730M-ITX.

On another note, gaming isn't as bad as it used to be but it's still higher than what'd I like to have but unfortunately many of newer SFF Cases or cooling options don't exist yet. :smith:

EDIT - Looking at the Ghost S1 this might be a better deal. One of these with small top hat with 2x120mm on exhaust would probably solve my problems.

EDIT - If anyone know of place to order the Silver Ghost S1. Hit me up. Amazon has only the grey case in stock. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 22, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

This can't be understated. It's mental what people will pay for a 3770K or even a 2600K, let alone a 4790K.. basically, if it's less than 10 years old and is overclockable, there's a market.
Another Thank You for this because I would have never thought anyone would want a CPU from 2013 but...drat. Mine's "low" use all things considered so I will have to remember this.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Another Thank You for this because I would have never thought anyone would want a CPU from 2013 but...drat. Mine's "low" use all things considered so I will have to remember this.

I pretty much refreshed my 3570k by putting a new heatsink and TIM on it, then getting an all-core 4.2GHz with max temps sub-80. If I hadn't already been wanting to build a new PC, I'd be pretty happy running this one till it burns out.

(When I was in the BIOS of my board I learned it didn't have voltage settings :wtc:, so I couldn't try and push to 4.5. 4.3 was unstable and 4.4 wouldn't post.)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Did passmark update or something and now scores are lower?

I could have swore the i7-3770 was around 9k passmark, now it is showing around 6k.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Scientist Al Gore posted:

I don't seem to have an option to AVX or MCE in the BIOS for my ASRock Z730M-ITX.

On another note, gaming isn't as bad as it used to be but it's still higher than what'd I like to have but unfortunately many of newer SFF Cases or cooling options don't exist yet. :smith:

EDIT - Looking at the Ghost S1 this might be a better deal. One of these with small top hat with 2x120mm on exhaust would probably solve my problems.

EDIT - If anyone know of place to order the Silver Ghost S1. Hit me up. Amazon has only the grey case in stock. :smith:

I have pretty much the same setup as you and zero issues with noise. Dan A4, i7-8700, Asrock Z370, MSI 1070ti. Corsair SF600 platinum PSU. I have the cryorig cpu cooler and a Noctua set up as an exhaust fan.

After I built the computer I was getting quite a lot of fan noise. The solution was altering the fan curve for I think both the cpu and the case fan in the Asrock motherboard setup. The curve it sets automatically kicks in really early and ramps up rapidly, I just adjusted it to come in a bit later.

I also delidded the cpu, replaced the standard stuff with liquid metal, and undervolted in XTU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crossposting my question from the PC building thread that I could use some help with:

teagone posted:

Can anyone recommend a low profile cooler for an i7 4770? Case allows for max cooler height of 65mm, but the PSU goes right over the CPU so I'm looking for something maybe smaller than 40/30mm. The Noctua NH-L9i seems like a good one, but is there something cheaper maybe that still would provide adequate cooling? [Edit] it's also probably not a good idea to stick a cooler rated for up to 65w TDP on an 84w TDP processor, right? :haw:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I know some of the smallest of builds use the alpenfohn black ridge: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html There are a few others in that size category as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Comedy option: Thermolab/Cooltek LP53 (optional: zip-tie quieter fan to it). It's probably more expensive than a NH-L9i though :v:

It's a really good copper heatsink, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What case is it?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvoNRrG0UzE

Jay just built a pretty small PC in a carry case. ITX but not super small. It's got a handle and is watercooled.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What case is it?

CM Elite 130. The shoebox/microwave looking case.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

teagone posted:

CM Elite 130. The shoebox/microwave looking case.

Case can take a 120mm AIO. Or try an sfx power supply for more room above cpu? Comedy option put power supply up at front of case and let the psu get fresh air from the mesh front and then you’ll have all that room above the cpu for activities.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wonder if any of the new Z490 Intel boards are compatible with low profile heatsinks, the new VRM heat sinks are huge.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

I wonder if any of the new Z490 Intel boards are compatible with low profile heatsinks, the new VRM heat sinks are huge.
As long as the cooler isn't larger than the cooler clearance zone (which is unchanged from previous sockets as far as I can see) there shouldn't be any issues.

It will be harder for coolers like the Alpenföhn Black Ridge whose footprint is larger than the clearance zone and parts of the cooler overlap VRM setups or the PCI-e slot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I ended up just getting this HSF https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTYSJ9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 48mm height, but I think I'm gonna look for an SFX PSU anyways to try and clear up some space above the CPU.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

As long as the cooler isn't larger than the cooler clearance zone (which is unchanged from previous sockets as far as I can see) there shouldn't be any issues.

It will be harder for coolers like the Alpenföhn Black Ridge whose footprint is larger than the clearance zone and parts of the cooler overlap VRM setups or the PCI-e slot.

That's exactly what I have! Personally, I think SFF case manufacture should just design heatsinks for the motherboard and the case. The Alpenföhn Black Ridge could easily be 140mm even in the DAN A4.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think if a 140mm fan was feasible in that case Dan would have tried it for his HSLP-48 project (which was sold off to EKL who made the Black Ridge, because the original boutique / Kickstarter version wouldn't have been economically viable).

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat. Good point.

Crazy idea, I want to try direct die cooling but are there intel mounting brackets that allow for this?

Lastly, the silver Loque Ghost S1 is out of stock until Q3.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I just put my SM560 case + cooler up for sale over in SA mart since I switched to the SM580. Thought someone in this thread might be interested, forgive me if this self-advertisement isn't appropriate here.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok here’s a thought. Tightly integrate the main board, GPU and PSU. Those are where all the messy wiring comes from. Make the GPU part of the mainboard. You can still upgrade the CPU, ram, storage. Only the GPU is beholden to upgrading the mainboard as well. Then make the PSU have a single simplified connection to the mainboard and that’s the only power routing you’ll need.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I just had a crazy idea,

Someone needs to design a motherboard that uses the rear I/O as exhaust with a blower style fan though removing extra ports because with bluetooth you don't nearly need as many. If anything - we just need 2x USB, Ethernet and Wifi.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not that crazy, considering some people remove their I/O shields in order to let warm air escape more easily. You ccould try to MacGyver a tiny fan in there to help :getin:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I just had a crazy idea,

Someone needs to design a motherboard that uses the rear I/O as exhaust with a blower style fan though removing extra ports because with bluetooth you don't nearly need as many. If anything - we just need 2x USB, Ethernet and Wifi.

Pretty sure some of the high-end Asus boards with active chipset and VRM cooling do this, though that is only for the VRM airflow, not (by design at least) the rest of the case.

Just checked at yeah, the Crosshair Impact has some vents above some of the USB and the SPDIF port.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Pretty sure some of the high-end Asus boards with active chipset and VRM cooling do this, though that is only for the VRM airflow, not (by design at least) the rest of the case.

Just checked at yeah, the Crosshair Impact has some vents above some of the USB and the SPDIF port.

Too bad it's in a strange DTX form factor. I wonder how effective the fans are at removing exhaust.

Hopefully we'll have a ITX Intel version soon enough.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're using a fan but it's apparently not blowing out the back: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z490-I-GAMING/overview/
Asrock uses two fans on their TB3 version but, same deal as Asus (no room for rear exhaust): https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z490%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp
Maybe MSI? It has holes at least :v: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15723/the-intel-z490-motherboard-overview/40

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

I just had a crazy idea,

I used to have an old AMD64 board years ago that had a big remote heat sink integrated into the rear IO panel, with a mesh cover bulging out the back. That relied on case fans for airflow, though.

I've been pondering designing/commissioning an ITX case for a while now and at this point I'm thinking it would be cool if the entire rear of the case was something like speaker mesh, attached to whatever minimal structural support.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The apex PC SFF form is basically a console with more power and a few swappable components.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Too bad it's in a strange DTX form factor. I wonder how effective the fans are at removing exhaust.

Hopefully we'll have a ITX Intel version soon enough.

I'm still mad it's the only AM4 board that fits in an M1 and has the key A header for the front panel.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wish there were more cases that copied the Corsair One lay out. Pretty much a vertical sandwich case with a big exhaust fan at the top to draw air thru side mounted radiators. If other manufacturers were going to copy the idea make it wide enough to put fans on the side radiators instead of relying solely on the big top fan as Corsair does.

Looks like Sliger gets close: https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sv590/

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 4, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Wish there were more cases that copied the Corsair One lay out. Pretty much a vertical sandwich case with a big exhaust fan at the top to draw air thru side mounted radiators. If other manufacturers were going to copy the idea make it wide enough to put fans on the side radiators instead of relying solely on the big top fan as Corsair does.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x

:v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/louqesweden/status/1257310230292992000?s=21

Q2 2020.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking to venture into the mITX world (whenever B450 mITX boards come back in stock...), and am currently debating between a Fractal Designs Nano S and Lian Li TU150 as my first mITX case. I like that the TU150 is a bit more space efficient (PSU up top instead of below the GPU) and looks pretty slick to boot, but at the end of the day I doubt the 3L difference in volume will make much practical difference (in terms of perceived case size). I'm planning on air cooling, so the additional AIO options the Nano allows aren't relevant to me, but its inclusion of 2 fans and easily removable dust filters on all the intakes (from what I can tell the TU150 comes with a front filter, but nothing on the bottom) combined with the already cheaper price make it hard to pass up value wise. 'Quiet' is a priority for me, but I'm assuming both cases are more than capable of good noise levels with reasonably priced fans and CPU cooler.

Anyone have strong opinions on either of these cases, or have other suggestions?

I should note that my plan would be to go with a SFX PSU even with the Nano, both to add some clearance below the GPU, and for compatibility with SFF cases should I want to go that route in the future.

I would like to go with a sub-20L case eventually, but I don't want to spend that kind of money (or go down this even deeper rabbit hole) right now. From what I've gathered, most of the quality SFF cases are in the $200+ range (I've been looking at cases like the M1, Sliger Cerberus/SM5XX, DA2 etc), plus it seems like more money needs to be spent on cooling solutions to obtain acceptable temps/noise level in some of those cases as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Splinter posted:

I'm looking to venture into the mITX world (whenever B450 mITX boards come back in stock...), and am currently debating between a Fractal Designs Nano S and Lian Li TU150 as my first mITX case. I like that the TU150 is a bit more space efficient (PSU up top instead of below the GPU) and looks pretty slick to boot, but at the end of the day I doubt the 3L difference in volume will make much practical difference (in terms of perceived case size). I'm planning on air cooling, so the additional AIO options the Nano allows aren't relevant to me, but its inclusion of 2 fans and easily removable dust filters on all the intakes (from what I can tell the TU150 comes with a front filter, but nothing on the bottom) combined with the already cheaper price make it hard to pass up value wise. 'Quiet' is a priority for me, but I'm assuming both cases are more than capable of good noise levels with reasonably priced fans and CPU cooler.

Anyone have strong opinions on either of these cases, or have other suggestions?

I should note that my plan would be to go with a SFX PSU even with the Nano, both to add some clearance below the GPU, and for compatibility with SFF cases should I want to go that route in the future.

I would like to go with a sub-20L case eventually, but I don't want to spend that kind of money (or go down this even deeper rabbit hole) right now. From what I've gathered, most of the quality SFF cases are in the $200+ range (I've been looking at cases like the M1, Sliger Cerberus/SM5XX, DA2 etc), plus it seems like more money needs to be spent on cooling solutions to obtain acceptable temps/noise level in some of those cases as well.

Could you make it work in an SG13?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Nano S is incredibly well made and is the nicest case I’ve used. Sound dampening is great too. As an ITX case though, it’s pretty huge. Having half the GPU being covered by your PSU is kind of a letdown, but mitigated a bit of you get a SFX unit. If you go this route , you’ll likely need an extender for that 24 pin power cable. My Corsair SF600 had a cable which was functionally too short because the distance from the motherboard and PSU is pretty significant. Either get a cheap $10 extender on amazon or get a custom compatible cable (I’m sure you know this but mixing PSU cables leads to tears and violent wallet spasms.) the only real fault i found with the Nano S was the misleading name

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Splinter posted:

See my post here for the TU150 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post503585569

I only have the single 120mm front fan (can't fit any under 3 slot GPU) and it's great temp/noise wise; you're still going to hear it but it's quiet enough without headphones. Keep in mind the default fan curves seem to be garbage for AMD stuff. I looooove the tool-less panels on everything.

If you wanted dust filters on the bottom you could do these https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-FF122-Filter-Magnet-Cooling/dp/B006NB271U

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 5, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Could you make it work in an SG13?

Not a big fan of the SG13 for a few reasons: limited CPU cooler options, limited space below the GPU (looks like 2 slot is the absolute max thickness), tough to work in w/ the PSU on top of the mobo, looks. It just seems like it would be a challenge to build a 'quiet' gaming rig in that case and would severely limit component flexibility (from what I gather an AIO is recommended for the CPU to keep noise down, and an AIO limits GPU length even more). I'm thinking something like an M1 is as small as I'd want to go for my first SFF case.

Should note that I'm looking for a case with a relatively clean/minimal appearance (not too busy, gamer-y or too heavy w/ logos) and no window on the side panel, which further limits my options.

Also should note that I'm planning on waiting until next gen cards are released before upgrading my GPU (going to roll with my GTX 960 4GB until then), so I don't want my case choice to limit my GPU options too much. This is another reason why I wanted to hold off on going with a true SFF case until a later date. At this point I'm planning on going with a Ryzen 5 3600 for the CPU.

buglord posted:

Nano S is incredibly well made and is the nicest case I’ve used. Sound dampening is great too. As an ITX case though, it’s pretty huge. Having half the GPU being covered by your PSU is kind of a letdown, but mitigated a bit of you get a SFX unit. If you go this route , you’ll likely need an extender for that 24 pin power cable. My Corsair SF600 had a cable which was functionally too short because the distance from the motherboard and PSU is pretty significant. Either get a cheap $10 extender on amazon or get a custom compatible cable (I’m sure you know this but mixing PSU cables leads to tears and violent wallet spasms.) the only real fault i found with the Nano S was the misleading name

Yeah I was planning on getting extensions for the 2 motherboard cables if I went with a Nano S + Corsair SF PSU as I've seen multiple reports that the cables aren't quite long enough for comfortable routing. The hugeness is my main hesitation, as it's almost "why even bother with mITX" huge, but it is still somewhat comparable to other similar mass produced mITX cases (like the TU150, NZXT H200), smaller than most mATX cases (except for the Ceberus) and would be a significant downsize from my ancient Antec Mini P180 (which comes in @ ~40L IIRC).

Gonna Send It posted:

See my post here for the TU150 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post503585569

I only have the single 120mm front fan (can't fit any under 3 slot GPU) and it's great temp/noise wise; you're still going to hear it but it's quiet enough without headphones. Keep in mind the default fan curves seem to be garbage for AMD stuff. I looooove the tool-less panels on everything.

If you wanted dust filters on the bottom you could do these https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-FF122-Filter-Magnet-Cooling/dp/B006NB271U
That looks great! Builds like this are why I want to avoid a windowed side panel, as I'd be tempted to go all out on making the interior look nice. Good to hear that the TU150 can be done with relatively low noise, especially with that CPU/GPU combo.

Sounds like it'd be hard to go wrong with the Nano S or the TU150, so it might just come down to my mood/wallet once B-450 mITX boards are re-stocked.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Splinter posted:

Not a big fan of the SG13 for a few reasons: limited CPU cooler options, limited space below the GPU (looks like 2 slot is the absolute max thickness), tough to work in w/ the PSU on top of the mobo, looks. It just seems like it would be a challenge to build a 'quiet' gaming rig in that case and would severely limit component flexibility (from what I gather an AIO is recommended for the CPU to keep noise down, and an AIO limits GPU length even more). I'm thinking something like an M1 is as small as I'd want to go for my first SFF case.

Have you looked at the Raijintek Metis Plus or Cougar QBX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Nano S is alright. It feels a bit flimsy, but it’s mostly a cheap materials thing.

The filter on the bottom is kind of annoying to slot back in, but it does work. Thirding the PSU extension cables.

I currently have mine loaded up with all air cooled everything, but my 2070 is really starting to piss me off since one of the fans has started to click at 30%; however, since it’s so big and has a million options, I can easily mount an AIO on the bottom or move the front fans to the bottom, etc.

E: pic of the comically short psu cable