Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
That makes a pretty compelling argument. :) Thanks for the advice and saving me a headache later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

HBO is offering a bunch of tv series and movies for free for a limited amount of time.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/02/hbo-makes-some-top-shows-movies-and-documentaries-free-to-stream-on-hbo-now-and-hbo-go/

quote:

HBO makes some top shows, movies and documentaries free to stream on HBO NOW and HBO GO
Giving people even more of a reason to stay home and follow the social distancing measures designed to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S., HBO said it would be making 500 hours of programming free to stream over HBO NOW and HBO GO without a subscription, starting Friday, April 3.

Shows that audiences can stream include some of the best television shows ever made, like “The Sopranos” and “The Wire,” and other very good HBO shows like “Veep” and “Six Feet Under.”

Movie titles like “Pokémon Detective Pikachu”, “Crazy, Stupid, Love” and back catalog gems like (one of my favorite movies of all-time) “Empire of the Sun” join docuseries including “McMillion$” and “The Case Against Adnan Syed” as free-to-stream offerings as well.

Viewers who want to watch what is inarguably the best show ever made (it’s “The Wire”) can download the HBO NOW or HBO GO apps or visit HBONOW.com or HBOGO.com.

The network’s distribution partners will also make the shows available to stream for free in the coming days, the company said. This offer marks the first time that HBO has made this amount of programming available for free outside of the paywall on either of its apps, the company said.

The full list of HBO content available to stream without a subscription includes:

Ballers (5 Seasons)
Barry (2 Seasons)
Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)
Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)
The Sopranos (7 Seasons)
Succession (2 Seasons)
True Blood (7 Seasons
Veep (7 Seasons)
The Wire (5 Seasons)

10 Docuseries and Documentaries
The Apollo
The Case Against Adnan Syed
Elvis Presley: The Searcher
I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter
The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley
Jane Fonda in Five Acts
McMillion$
True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
United Skates
We Are the Dream: The Kids of the MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

20 Warner Bros. Theatricals
Arthur
Arthur 2: On the Rocks
Blinded By the Light
The Bridges of Madison County
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Empire of the Sun
Forget Paris
Happy Feet Two
Isn’t It Romantic?
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Midnight Special
My Dog Skip
Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase
Pan
Pokémon Detective Pikachu
Red Riding Hood
Smallfoot
Storks
Sucker Punch
Unknown

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah wanna watch Barry

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

Oh yeah wanna watch Barry

It’s real real good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

It’s real real good.

I love Bill Hader. The HBO apps on the Xbox are rated really low (2 stars max).
edit: The video compression isn't great. Oh well, I didn't even have to sign in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

I love Bill Hader. The HBO apps on the Xbox are rated really low (2 stars max).
edit: The video compression isn't great. Oh well, I didn't even have to sign in.

TBF the HBO apps on all platforms suck loving balls.

The PQ on the amazon app or through The Apple TV (integrated) app are light years better.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I got my HBO through prime primarily so I wouldn’t have to sign in to another app. I also like that I can make the subtitles really small.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It anyone really cares you can sign up for HBO Max for 12.99 a month for a limited time (You get that price for a year).

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/559643

I wish I knew how it was going to work. I’m subscribed to HBO through Apple (since the PQ is significantly better and I can download shows) so I have no idea if that comes with Max content.

I’m incredibly hesitant to sub directly through HBO since the NOW app is hot loving garbage so I have like no faith in the new app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

It anyone really cares you can sign up for HBO Max for 12.99 a month for a limited time (You get that price for a year).

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/559643

I wish I knew how it was going to work. I’m subscribed to HBO through Apple (since the PQ is significantly better and I can download shows) so I have no idea if that comes with Max content.

I’m incredibly hesitant to sub directly through HBO since the NOW app is hot loving garbage so I have like no faith in the new app.

https://www.hbomax.com/faq/#howtoget

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed through Apple or Google Play will also get instant access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost). Check back with us here as we add additional partners to the list."

Looks like you're ok.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.hbomax.com/faq/#howtoget

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed through Apple or Google Play will also get instant access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost). Check back with us here as we add additional partners to the list."

Looks like you're ok.

Oh excellent then!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sigh.

Annoyingly, my HBO sub through Amazon doesn't end until the 25th (wish I would have checked the billing cycle earlier) and there's no way to go through another provider UNTIL your billing period ends. They say the deal is open until the launch of the service on the 27th, but it also says there's a limited number available. So, unless I want to sign up under a different email address, I appear to be SOL.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sigh.

Annoyingly, my HBO sub through Amazon doesn't end until the 25th (wish I would have checked the billing cycle earlier) and there's no way to go through another provider UNTIL your billing period ends. They say the deal is open until the launch of the service on the 27th, but it also says there's a limited number available. So, unless I want to sign up under a different email address, I appear to be SOL.

It’s a bit of a pain but if you have Gmail (I’ll assume others are the same maybe) you can just add a period anywhere in the name part and it gets delivered like normal.

Accounts systems treat the period like it’s a whole new address.

Like Marcus.SA@gmail.com

You can in theory have as many email addresses as letters in your account.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You can also go directly to the HBO Max website to get the 11.99 deal. You won't get blasted with all the ad trackers and redirects. My adblocker went insane when I tried the slick deals link.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I’m tempted. Never really cared about getting HBO before but if this supposedly has every movie available for HBO, Cinemax, and some Warner properties, I might bite. Googling shows a few different things but does anyone know of a complete list of what is planned to be available?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think they've said fully, just some of the hightlights.

Content that SHOULD be eligible (we just don't know how covered the libraries will be at launch or what the schedule will be.)

Warner Bros.
New Line
DC Entertainment
CNN
TNT
TBS
TruTV
Turner Classic Movies
Cartoon Network
Adult Swim
Crunchyroll
Rooster Teeth
Looney Tunes

What we do know:

All regular HBO content (movies and shows)
Friends
Doctor Who
Top Gear
South Park
Rick and Morty
Big Bang Theory
2 1/2 Men
Search Party
Doom Patrol
Fresh Prince
The West Wing
CW Shows from Batwoman moving forward
All HBO MAX originals obviously

What we know will not be on the service:
Cinemax Shows (don't know about the movies).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

YouTubeTV and viacom have struck a deal. The following channels will be coming this summer.

quote:

BET
CMT
Comedy Central
MTV
Nickelodeon
Paramount Network
TV Land
VH1
BET Her
MTV2
Nick Jr.
NickToons
TeenNick
MTV Classic

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

YouTubeTV and viacom have struck a deal. The following channels will be coming this summer.

I'm sure because that's zero channels I want that I won't have to pay more, correct?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Meh, I’ll just watch the random stuff from them on Pluto.TV for free.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure because that's zero channels I want that I won't have to pay more, correct?

That's the first thing I thought. "When is the price hike coming"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder how much AT&T will try keep me as a TV customer when I call in the next few weeks to go fiber internet only. I only took their TV package as it was decently discounted and I got all my local hockey games without having to deal with anything. Now there is no sport, and nothing to watch there's definitely no reason for me to keep it. Antenna for locals into my HDHR, and hockey through NHL and my DNS poo poo will give me all I need and will pay for itself in a few months.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder how much AT&T will try keep me as a TV customer when I call in the next few weeks to go fiber internet only. I only took their TV package as it was decently discounted and I got all my local hockey games without having to deal with anything. Now there is no sport, and nothing to watch there's definitely no reason for me to keep it. Antenna for locals into my HDHR, and hockey through NHL and my DNS poo poo will give me all I need and will pay for itself in a few months.

Call and find out. It's all you can do. I see stories posted here where the provider bent over backwards to keep a customer and there's been stories where the provider says, "Well just cancel then." These are in places where there's competition and places where there is not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EL BROMANCE posted:

Now there is no sport, and nothing to watch there's definitely no reason for me to keep it.
Doesn’t having a TV package give you unlimited internet bandwidth?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you're a Uverse or DirecTV customer, they won't do anything. I went through this in February. The good thing though is that you get unlimited bandwidth (and HBO Max apparently) when you jump to gigabit. Also for some reason I'm getting a $20 monthly discount on my internet service with no other AT&T services so I'm only paying $50 a month for better speeds and no bandwidth cap. :iiam:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

Call and find out. It's all you can do. I see stories posted here where the provider bent over backwards to keep a customer and there's been stories where the provider says, "Well just cancel then." These are in places where there's competition and places where there is not.

Yeah exactly, and if you deal with the right department ('customer loyalty' in their particular case) gets you to people who are good for the most part, rather than the indian call centers following scripts. They still make mistakes (my free HBO got wiped out months back and I've just not been arsed to deal with it) but it's a way better experience. It helps when you're genuinely happy to cancel, as they can't call your bluff then!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Doesn’t having a TV package give you unlimited internet bandwidth?

The gigabit fiber package is already unlimited, but lower packages are capped. I believe the TV package gives you unlimited bandwidth because they can't monitor it properly. I know the monitoring on my connection is completely useless... it told me on a day last month I used 1gb of data and I know for a fact I pushed 200.

e:

TheWevel posted:

If you're a Uverse or DirecTV customer, they won't do anything. I went through this in February. The good thing though is that you get unlimited bandwidth (and HBO Max apparently) when you jump to gigabit. Also for some reason I'm getting a $20 monthly discount on my internet service with no other AT&T services so I'm only paying $50 a month for better speeds and no bandwidth cap. :iiam:

drat, you've lucked out there. Can't see me getting that, I pay like $80 for my gigabit with discounts so it's only going to go up. My total bill for gigabit and U200 is $130 a month at the moment after fees, taxes etc. I won't save a huge amount going internet only, but it'll make a difference.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bull3964 posted:

Sweet, the Viacom stuff was probably the most noticeable gap in the YTTV lineup vs. Sling and Philo. I'm an old who finds a music video channel (MTV Classic) oddly comforting. Yeah I know and use Pluto but there's always a thin layer of jankiness there... literally the same loud commercial 5 times in a row can kill the "chill background noise" factor sometimes

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Jose Oquendo posted:

I cancelled my spectrum package that had 10 channels of my choosing for $23 and starz, hbo, showtime and cinemax for an extra $20 last week when I saw my 2 years was up and the price doubled. They didn't try to change my mind, just cancelled it after spending 20 minutes on hold waiting for an operator.

Yesterday they called and offered me 60 channels for 7 days free, $8 for the first 30 days and $12 forever after that. The guy said yes to having tcm, tnt and nbc sports but I couldnt see a list unless I agreed to the 7 day trial. The entire package is viacom/paramount channels, AMC channels, a and e and discovery networks. So I guess I'll spend the week catching up on Bar Rescue from the last couple years and cancel next monday.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The American Dream posted:

I cancelled my spectrum package that had 10 channels of my choosing for $23 and starz, hbo, showtime and cinemax for an extra $20 last week when I saw my 2 years was up and the price doubled. They didn't try to change my mind, just cancelled it after spending 20 minutes on hold waiting for an operator.

Yesterday they called and offered me 60 channels for 7 days free, $8 for the first 30 days and $12 forever after that. The guy said yes to having tcm, tnt and nbc sports but I couldnt see a list unless I agreed to the 7 day trial. The entire package is viacom/paramount channels, AMC channels, a and e and discovery networks. So I guess I'll spend the week catching up on Bar Rescue from the last couple years and cancel next monday.

I'm on Spectrum. That first package you mentioned (I can't remember the name) would be perfect for me but it's not available in my market for some reason. The other one you mentioned is a newer one. It's not the worst deal around but it doesn't have locals which is a bummer for me.

I've been happy with YTTV but I'd probably cancel when/if they hike the price after those new Viacom channels get added.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm on Spectrum. That first package you mentioned (I can't remember the name) would be perfect for me but it's not available in my market for some reason. The other one you mentioned is a newer one. It's not the worst deal around but it doesn't have locals which is a bummer for me.

I've been happy with YTTV but I'd probably cancel when/if they hike the price after those new Viacom channels get added.

My antenna works great so I'm ok without those. When I had the 10 channel package I realized how few channels I needed. TCM for old movies, usa was only for wrestling which is on hulu the next day. NBCsn for hockey. Im a bartender so I can my local college games on espn at work. Adult Swim hasnt put on a new show that I liked since rick and morty. And everything on fx is on hulu now.

If I was someone that wanted to watch house shows and gawk at 600lb people all day this is a great package. But this is every channel I never watched when I had full cable. And I'm pretty sure most of these shows are on hulu or amazon anyways excluding bar rescue which seems like a 24/7 pluto station as soon as they want to do it.

I guess I'll just have to hope hbomax takes care of my TCM fix.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder how much AT&T will try keep me as a TV customer when I call in the next few weeks to go fiber internet only.

They will say :byewhore: also we aren't even prorating your cancellation, even if you have returned the hardware already.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh they can have the hardware back within minutes, it’s crap compared to Xfinity. And I don’t really miss that.

Tbh not fighting to keep my tv account is probably preferable. Regardless of what deal they could cut, it’s going to be cheaper not having it regardless.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh they can have the hardware back within minutes, it’s crap compared to Xfinity. And I don’t really miss that.

Tbh not fighting to keep my tv account is probably preferable. Regardless of what deal they could cut, it’s going to be cheaper not having it regardless.

Honestly I was fighting with them to keep it because I really absolutely did not want to retrain my husband how to watch TV but I couldn't justify us spending $100 more a month when we could get all the channels we wanted with Hulu Live. They wouldn't budge a penny. Nothing, they were more than happy to see us go. Keep in mind our bill with AT&T is $400 a month NOW, we weren't some low level account that they might be happy to get rid of.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Just logged into the Amazon app to finish Season 1 of Sopranos....fuuuuuuuuuu

I guess that’s what I get for procrastinating.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

I would pay the $15 to finish it. I'd say HBO has enough content in their back catalog you could sub for a couple months and watch tons of AAA top tier amazing stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I was on S2e8 of Carnivale, first time watching it. Oh well, I already know it ends on a cliffhanger.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would pay the $15 to finish it. I'd say HBO has enough content in their back catalog you could sub for a couple months and watch tons of AAA top tier amazing stuff.

Plus HBO Max is starting next week and will add a poo poo ton of content.

I don't know if the the HBO Now deal they were offering is still going on ($11/mo) that automatically converts into a Max account, but you might want to check to see if you can save a few bucks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just a note that hbo max still doesn't have a deal with Roku or Amazon

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't know if the the HBO Now deal they were offering is still going on ($11/mo) that automatically converts into a Max account, but you might want to check to see if you can save a few bucks.
It is still going on, and will be until launch (2:59 EDT on May 27).

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

wormil posted:

I was on S2e8 of Carnivale, first time watching it. Oh well, I already know it ends on a cliffhanger.

It’s a satisfying ending that opens the door for the next 2 year story arc. It’s good enough.

So I take it hbo pulled off all that old stuff that was on amazon for the last few years?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, gotta round the wagons for the HBO Max launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cinemax went off too. I was in S2 of Banshee.