Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1256244240281001984?s=21

I’m starting to think these people aren’t just hankering for a haircut!

https://twitter.com/veryimportant/s...pagenumber%3D14

edit:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I thought the CIA was barred from operating domestically?

has that stopped them before?

double edit:

lmao meltdown may doesnt disappoint

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1256239554148724737

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’m admittedly stupid and didn’t know what work sets you free was referencing so I’m here to say the history curriculum in this country sucks

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm still baffled that Tesla isn't a Theranos situation and they have been producing and selling a popular product for years. All of Musk's behavior would indicate the opposite.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Woofer posted:

I’m admittedly stupid and didn’t know what work sets you free was referencing so I’m here to say the history curriculum in this country sucks

If anyone else is curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbeit_macht_frei

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

Not being an rear end when I ask this, where did you go to school? I'm yet to find a textbook that doesn't have the picture and explanation for the phrase. I've seen school texts from a half dozen different states, and not a single one didn't have it and cover it. I'm asking, because I'm legit shocked. I know there are half rear end schools, and half rear end teachers, but this surprised the poo poo out of me.

Again, legit, not intending to be an rear end in a top hat.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not being an rear end when I ask this, where did you go to school? I'm yet to find a textbook that doesn't have the picture and explanation for the phrase. I've seen school texts from a half dozen different states, and not a single one didn't have it and cover it. I'm asking, because I'm legit shocked. I know there are half rear end schools, and half rear end teachers, but this surprised the poo poo out of me.

Public school in Florida. The only history class I remember was American history (which didn’t get much into the Holocaust) and my sophomore year history class with a teacher that was changing careers after the school year and his effort reflected it.

Then I dropped out.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

It is great that Musk is starting Meltdown May off strong

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

Public school in Florida.

All you needed to say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

In elementary, middle, and high school in rural Tennessee we never made it to World War 2 in any history class. We always started at the beginning and the lesson plan had us getting through the 70s but we always fell behind. I was lucky to have supportive family who would answer questions and generally fill in blanks, but even stuff like the Vietnam War was a black hole for me until I took a class on it in college.

We would really be better off starting history classes with world war 2 and running to present day because that does more to help kids make sense of the current world than going over the Fertile Crescent and Pharaohs for the tenth time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I dont think we really covered Vietnam or the civil rights era at all but we always had time to skip ahead and marvel at how Ronald Reagan saved the world

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I dont think we really covered Vietnam or the civil rights era at all but we always had time to skip ahead and marvel at how Ronald Reagan saved the world

We didn’t do that, but then again he was still in office when I was in elementary school.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pretty sure I discovered AMF independently of history class and I'd still say my history education was above average for public schooling. WW2 tends to be pretty late in the semester and you'd be surprised at how quickly teachers pass through it

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

I think this one tops turning all the frogs gay.

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1256074030697689088?s=19

Alex Jones is a progressive when it comes to rear end-eating.

Man, and here I thought the guy had a line of nutrition products that would definitely not result in you looking like...like him.

That Works posted:

Oh wild my grandpa's factory had that as its motto

:stare:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Professional historian take: best practice for HS history -- if it's general US, and students are getting an hour a day -- should start in 1609 and get to the American Revolution in 2 weeks, 3 if you want to do a unit on colonial slavery (which I think you can usually push off to the Antebellum with minimal loss of understanding). From there 4 weeks to the Civil War. Another 3-4 weeks to get to 1900, and then the rest of the class should essentially be the American Century up until 2001. I.e.: you should get to 1900 by Christmas break at the latest.

You need all that early poo poo to help understand how the system we live in functions (and why it does things the way it does) but really, yeah if you're trying to get kids to understand the US, the more recent the better. Problem is a LOT of history teachers have a hard on for the Revolution/Civil War/World War II and spend too much time gearing up to get to those events which they then spend far too much time on in class.

I've often thought about teaching a course where the history is told in reverse. Start at the present day and work backwards but I've never figured out a good way to do it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m glad I took the AP history classes in high school because you had to be dragged through the entire thing come hell or high water.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mlmp08 posted:

I’m starting to think these people aren’t just hankering for a haircut!

wow can we please tone down the guillotine jokes

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't realize this was so common.
My view is also skewed by the fact that I never had to put effort into history, and CLEP'd every history course available. History was always my thing.
I know what my teacher's covered, but I guess I covered more by actually reading my textbooks when my classmates didn't. My teacher spent an entire semester on WW1/WW2/Fall of Colonialism because he felt it was more important than covering the American Revolution half assed again.

My son's teacher does a two week unit on Rebellion in America. I like him. We live very close to Gettysburg, so I always get worried, but he covered it pretty accurately, for the age group. Destroys the State's Rights Revisionism.

E-

Doc Hawkins posted:

wow can we please tone down the guillotine jokes

I didn't do French Barber Correspondence courses for nothing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Michigan "protestors" had kids dance in black face:

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1256268844785635329?s=20

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BUG JUG posted:

Professional historian take: best practice for HS history -- if it's general US, and students are getting an hour a day -- should start in 1609 and get to the American Revolution in 2 weeks, 3 if you want to do a unit on colonial slavery (which I think you can usually push off to the Antebellum with minimal loss of understanding). From there 4 weeks to the Civil War. Another 3-4 weeks to get to 1900, and then the rest of the class should essentially be the American Century up until 2001. I.e.: you should get to 1900 by Christmas break at the latest.

You need all that early poo poo to help understand how the system we live in functions (and why it does things the way it does) but really, yeah if you're trying to get kids to understand the US, the more recent the better. Problem is a LOT of history teachers have a hard on for the Revolution/Civil War/World War II and spend too much time gearing up to get to those events which they then spend far too much time on in class.

I've often thought about teaching a course where the history is told in reverse. Start at the present day and work backwards but I've never figured out a good way to do it.

When I was in high school.the Georgia legislature was debating having US history jump from the revolutionary war straight to reconstruction.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

When I was in high school.the Georgia legislature was debating having US history jump from the revolutionary war straight to reconstruction.

A lot of the homeschooling materials try to use Uncle Tom's Cabin to portray slave owners as compassionate.

Its pretty hosed up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m glad I took the AP history classes in high school because you had to be dragged through the entire thing come hell or high water.

:same:

Our teacher also assigned us readings from Howard Zinn, and we ended the semester by watching The Power of Nightmares.

That was a good class.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

hobbesmaster posted:

Same, and after the AP exam, my teacher would basically alternate between doing deep dives on whatever topic we had an interest in and civics materials. We watched all of Band of Brothers in class over the course of a few days, and he also invited a cop (not our rear end in a top hat, moto school resource officer) to come in and do a Q&A with the class. The cop basically said that you'd be an idiot to answer any police questions and all but directly implied that our SRO got that job because no one wanted to work with him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All I remember from high school world history though is the teacher describing being woken up concussed by a VC mortar attack covered in the remains of his squadmate from bunk over.

That was a thing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Michigan "protestors" had kids dance in black face:

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1256268844785635329?s=20

not to defend these idiots but thats not blackface :confused:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

I think starting in the 1600s would be good to do for world history classes too because again, the Code of Hamurabi doesn’t do a lot to explain why Israel and their neighbors don’t get along. The Memento approach to a history class is something I kicked around too but like you could never come up with a way to present it that wouldn’t lose half the students.

hobbesmaster posted:

I wish we’d had AP. My school system was garbage.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
When I was in 8th grade (late '90s) we had to take a Louisiana History class. When we got to the civil rights era our teacher brought photos of herself in blackface performing in a minstrel show sometime in the '50s.

We also learned about how kids had to buy their own schoolbooks every year until Huey Long made free textbooks a campaign issue. Caddo Parish fought him on it so he threatened to take away Barksdale and they folded lmao

The punch line is gonna be when he gets another visit from the SEC lmao

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Basticle posted:

not to defend these idiots but thats not blackface :confused:

On the one hand, I kinda agree that wearing some Obama-Halloween-grade-mask isn't exactly "blackface", but with the context of the demographics in that protest, and the fact that they're having loving children put on an Obama mask for some political interpretative dance, I'm perfectly happy to condemn the whole act as "exquisitely racist".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:same:

Our teacher also assigned us readings from Howard Zinn, and we ended the semester by watching The Power of Nightmares.

That was a good class.

You just lost VVG's vote

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

The punch line is gonna be when he gets another visit from the SEC lmao

The SEC didn’t do poo poo to him last time, hasn’t done anything to him for all his loving around since then, and won’t do anything to him this time either under the fig leaf of “protecting stockholders.” They’ve basically been ordered not to go after anyone of high net worth for the last several years.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Midjack posted:

I think starting in the 1600s would be good to do for world history classes too because again, the Code of Hamurabi doesn’t do a lot to explain why Israel and their neighbors don’t get along. The Memento approach to a history class is something I kicked around too but like you could never come up with a way to present it that wouldn’t lose half the students.

I wish we’d had AP. My school system was garbage.

The thing I love about history is also the thing that makes it so drat difficult to teach: There's a lot of it, it's all interconnected, and there's always more of it. Not to mention the fact that a lot of teachers (And a good part of the general public) see history education as a bulleted list of meaningless dates and names, which is extremely boring and will kill the interest of even the most dedicated students.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing I love about history is also the thing that makes it so drat difficult to teach: There's a lot of it, it's all interconnected, and there's always more of it. Not to mention the fact that a lot of teachers (And a good part of the general public) see history education as a bulleted list of meaningless dates and names, which is extremely boring and will kill the interest of even the most dedicated students.

That is the exact thing I hated in HS and survey/100 or 200-level college classes. Once I took an upper-division class I took to that and loved my undergrad history education. There's an alternate Earth where I am an adjunct professor making 25k/year with massive student debt.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

25k/year is a good year for adjuncting. I think my best year of just adjuncting was 20k. In the Boston area, teaching at three different schools.

I hope to hear back soon about a summer course I usually teach, maybe this is the year to get experimental with it since everything else is going insane

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

one of my high school history teachers was my sister and our father had been chief foreign correspondent for Latin America for the new york times, and during shall we say The Interesting Years. he pushed the line a few times in a few places, had to spend some time in the embassy in chile once, to not be whatevered. lately he's been trading emails with a history phd candidate in rio about journalism under the military government in Brazil, which he also reported on.

i remember finally realizing no one else my age knew that the cia had mined civilian harbors in Nicaragua. the fact that they had did not upset me at the time. i didn't even think they were still doing war crimes any more, just like how i didn't think the army was still running the trail of tears. i just thought it was normal thing to know about. but some people would get angry and try to make me take it back, like i was telling them a scary story and they were five years old instead of eighteen.

i understand now that i was hurting them, and i do regret it, but i'm more sad that they were left so vulnerable, so unprepared for reality. history is a weapon.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1256287584810160139?s=20

Sure, I trust her completely

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

On the one hand, I kinda agree that wearing some Obama-Halloween-grade-mask isn't exactly "blackface", but with the context of the demographics in that protest, and the fact that they're having loving children put on an Obama mask for some political interpretative dance, I'm perfectly happy to condemn the whole act as "exquisitely racist".

Eh, the Obama Mask is easily the least gross part of that entire... what ever the hell that was.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BUG JUG posted:

Problem is a LOT of history teachers have a hard on for the Revolution/Civil War/World War II and spend too much time gearing up to get to those events which they then spend far too much time on in class.

Part of the other problem with the teachers that get hard ons for teaching RW/CW/WWII is that they like to focus on the battles and military stuff and ignore everything else.

I was fortunate that I had a teacher in high school that went into detail about Antebellum (Bleeding Kansas, John Brown, etc) and just how bad chattel slavery was and then spent a solid week covering Reconstruction.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's difficult for teachers too because they are mandated by a lot of state education requirements to teach specific dates/people and it constrains them in a lot of ways. You get to college and most programs moved away from the "Great Man" theory of teaching history decades ago, which makes things refreshing and more exciting if you have a genuine interest in the subject, but it still persists in grade school in many places.

I had thought about pursuing a career as a history teacher while getting my degree but moved away from it and have no regrets after talking with friends that are in that profession. It's a lot of loving hoops to jump through sometimes.

I still get to work with history for my current job, and I love it (helps that I'm paid reasonably well too, esp. compared to teachers), but jobs like mine are incredibly rare.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What's always confused me is the folks I've known who dismiss history as boring, but then can recount the entirety of the extended history of Middle Earth. Sure there's no magic and fantasy creatures in real history, but it's full of insane drama that is often super compelling.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's always confused me is the folks I've known who dismiss history as boring, but then can recount the entirety of the extended history of Middle Earth. Sure there's no magic and fantasy creatures in real history, but it's full of insane drama that is often super compelling.

It sounds stupid but sometimes you just gotta find that gateway drug to get people to give a poo poo about history or realize it's not all boring dead old white dudes. For me (and a lot of other white dudes) military history is where I first really dipped my toes, but ended up doing a ton of tech and economic history semi-connected to military history in college. If you had asked me to look at the economic history of WWII when I was a teenager, I'd have told you to gently caress off with the boring stuff.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 1, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i cant even get people to learn some lessons from 2016 let alone get them to give a poo poo about the great depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Lasted about a minute.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1256292049235697666