Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

semi-related to super 8, wasn't there a movie that was basically live action american akira that came out around the same time? I CANNOT for the life of me remember the name of it. I remember seeing it in theaters and really enjoying it but that's about it, it's like the memory of it itself is made of oil, like trying to grab it and focus on it makes it zip out of my hands/memory comically

pretty sure it had the tetsuo-alike throwing buses and poo poo with mind powers during the finale

That’s the max landis superhero movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Heroes was one of those shows that got t-boned by the 2007 Writers Strike and just never recovered from it, the other big example being Battlestar Galactica and its infamous humdinger of a final season. Also Jeph Leob going “gently caress ya’ll, I’m out” after said strike-curtailed second season didn’t help things either.

Also 2000s-Era NBC was the reign of Jeff Zucker, who couldn’t cultivate talent for poo poo and saw just about every one of NBC’s shows hit the skids and the network as a whole drop from #1 Must See TV to losing to loving Fox and the CW. Post-season 1 Heroes and Kings were among his many victims along the trajectory of his upward failure.

Season 3 was the BSG season that got t-boned by the writers strike. Season 4 managed to recover a little bit, but it was pretty much mired in the trappings of season 3 and the damage was done.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

poparena posted:

Chronicle? aka the only time Max Landis and Josh Trank didn't poo poo the bed?
THAT'S the one! thanks! I knew it was a single word name like that, but couldn't quite recall it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it’s worth, I’ll straight up admit the only musical track in the Sequels that I actually like is Rey’s theme. It’s such a good theme for her intended character arc at the start of The Force Awakens (not so much for her actual realized arc, however). The only other theme I can recognize is Kylo Ren/the First Order’s theme, and that’s just Vader’s theme from A New Hope but Williams played a nasty game of pool with the note arrangements, just another “here’s something you might remember from Star Wars”. Everything else just sounded like it wasn’t even there aside from the other “here’s something you might remember from Star Wars” returning favourites like Leia’s theme, and the Force theme, etc.
I also liked Ahch-to / Jedi Steps. Rose's theme is fine too, it's just tied to the worst subplot in a movie with some bad subplots.

Scherzo for X-Wings was one of the only times that an OT theme was used in a new, interesting way and it was great.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

That’s the max landis superhero movie

What? Don't be ridiculous. Hatsune Miku made the movie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Anyway, here's an actually funny review of FF7R:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMPF40-5rb0

Like the third chapter of the game is Tifa breaking down how going around and doing odd jobs for people will improve his reputation so that he can in turn get more work. He's a mercenary, if no one knows who he is and he has no one to vouch for him, getting work then becomes even harder! They explained the thought process really early on!

Even if it is just a kid asking for help with something low stakes you're kinda stuck doing it otherwise people will start feeling weird about that mercenary whose only talent is killing monsters. Boy, sure hope he's not willing to be an assassin for 800 gil...

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like in a world with monsters in it, "guy that kills monsters" would in not be a strange thing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that's why he's on my 'watch closely' list. i get that those may be the only sources for information vital to some of his episodes, but were i personally in that position, if those were the only places i could get info for a video i was making i would just opt to not make the video.

of course those are by and large his most popular videos, so i also get the decision to use those sources.

Maybe it would help if someone were to reach out to Knudsen and ask him to stop using ED and KiwiFarms.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 1, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuebot posted:

I don't know, I laughed at a lot of the weird poo poo goons found and poked fun at so I'm clearly no saint, but I just don't get the obsessive need to document and continually harass hosed up people. Whether it's pestering someone who obviously needs help but isn't getting it and driving them into a shittier spiral, or just continually raining attention down on someone who feeds on even negative feedback.
it's the degrees of difference between going on a safari tour, going on safari, and owning a tiger farm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I feel like in a world with monsters in it, "guy that kills monsters" would in not be a strange thing.

Oh yeah, I just mean it's probably not a good look if you're walking over to people going 'Hello, is there any monster problem you need dealt with?' 'Oh thank god you're here, we let our daughter go play with her friends and they haven't come back-' 'Okay goodbye, call me if you need a dragon killed.'

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

McCloud posted:

It's poo poo that some dog ate, puked up, was then licked up by another dog and then shat out again. It's atrocious, and the only reason I still have an ounce of respect for JMS is because he wrote one of the greatest sci fi series ever, but man, he really balanced that one out with Grounded.

Captain Power and the soldiers of the future was definitely good for a toy commercial, but not sure if it's one of the greatest ever sci fi shows...

Beefstew posted:

I remember him reading the Channel Awesome document and getting to the part where it claims that female producers' grievances were more ignored then men's, and he responded, "I have my own thoughts on that, but I'm not gonna say." Felt like he was trying to be diplomatic but also go "check out these crazy broads." Which is the vibe I've been getting from a lot of his videos.
I was watching the part where it was talking about Dan Olson, Lindsay Ellis and gamergaters trying to get him removed, and as soon as gamergate came up, DTRH got the gently caress out of dodge on that section, with a "okay, I don't know what's going on here, but it sounds like they handled it badly" or some similar "no comment" dismissal, on to the next part *right now*.

He may or may not be a chud himself, but he knows he relies on an audience of them.

Casey Finnigan posted:

After that wingsofredemption video I had to stop watching any of the DTRH video about internet people. There was just nothing to say about the dude - he's a guy who made low-effort call of duty videos, got a little popular, got trolled during it, and was just unhappy in general. Who cares? It was such a waste of time to watch, and even more of a waste of time to research, record, and edit a video on someone so banal.

I could understand the TempleOS video because the guy behind that went to extraordinary lengths to design a bizarre operating system as a monument to God. Making a video on him is like making a video on Henry Darger. But doing a deep dive on people who made some crappy YouTube videos or self-published a lovely book is just pointless.

Mine was the cat cafe video. Besides his kiwifarms reliance, my big thing with so many of his online-only stories is they're frankly, well, boring and forcefully drawn out to his usual run-time. 90% of it is him reading message board posts or just "____ said this happened *reads long ramble*. _____denies this *another long ramble*". Some of those barely have anything resembling research, it's just 30+ minutes of him reading peoples' internet rants or other peoples' research on said people.

As a point of contrast, while still attracting the same audience, Whang covers similar internet oddball history but at least realizes most of those stories have enough legs for 10-20 minutes max. DTRH has bloated to 30-90 minutes now and some of those topics just don't have enough meat on the bones for that.

Captain Invictus posted:

semi-related to super 8, wasn't there a movie that was basically live action american akira that came out around the same time? I CANNOT for the life of me remember the name of it. I remember seeing it in theaters and really enjoying it but that's about it, it's like the memory of it itself is made of oil, like trying to grab it and focus on it makes it zip out of my hands/memory comically

pretty sure it had the tetsuo-alike throwing buses and poo poo with mind powers during the finale
Yeah, Chronicle had some shots that would charitably be described as "homage" to Akira. Kanye beat Trank by a few years anyway with his music video for "Stronger".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
TheSuperSNES AKA PJ DiCesare is doing another gimmick Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts run, the "Choo Choo Challenge" wherein he is challenging himself to beat everything using nothing but trains(multi-part vehicles connected by towbars) which in a game with as many PHYSICS as this one has, should be a good time for all involved.

The first video or two are mostly of him going around the starter town using said PHYSICS to get to a shitload of vehicle parts he shouldn't be getting right away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buONnLfc7o4&hd=1

PJ's always a good, relaxing watch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

poparena posted:

Chronicle? aka the only time Max Landis and Josh Trank didn't poo poo the bed?

max landis' problems are entirely with him as a human being and not with him as a screenwriter; he's done a lot of stuff and the vast bulk of it is fine-to-good (I also really genuinely like American Ultra, and both Channel Zero and Dirk Gently are really good shows)

josh trank, meanwhile, has made a grand total of two movies, one of which is the one we're talking about, and the other of which got wrestled out of his hands by the studio halfway through production because... his cats pooed in an apartment and he smoked weed... question mark? and the stuff from Fantastic Four that's unambiguously his work is also pretty easily the best material in the movie

e: like, i get where you're coming from and landis deserves to be shat on for just about anything you can poo poo on him for, so i'm not too ruffled about that part, but trank really doesn't need the extra hell. his rep is one hundred percent the result of studio PR fuckery (from what I gather, he wanted to make Fantastic Four artsy and weird, Fox told him "gently caress you, make it a Marvel clone," he tried to fight it, and they responded by planting a metric fuckload of stories about how he's "unstable" and ending his career before it even properly began) and people who have a platform, and should reasonably know better, shouldn't be repeating that PR fuckery.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 1, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rise of Skywalker's implosion makes me sad not only because it is a disaster of a film but because it's put Disney on damage control and utterly desperate for a win with Star Wars. They got a mulligan when Mandalorian turned out to actually be a drat solid space western, but cleaning up the damage from episode 9 means they are going in hard for season 2 to try and tie it into the rest of their products and make it their new flagship Star Wars media. I'm happy that season 7 of The Clone Wars happened, but I really don't need Ahsoka Tano becoming the Duncan Idaho of Star Wars and being injected into absolutely everything. Season 1 of Mando is great fun, but I am worried as hell about Season 2 being overtaken by the suits.

In an ideal world Episode 9 would have been a good movie and Mandalorian could have gone along being its own fun adventure but live in a poo poo world where Abrams shat the bed and Disney is evil and won't let things be.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i have no facts to back this up, but i feel mandalorian was relatively ignored by execs because they were so focused on making sure actors looked into the camera and apologized for last jedi in every scene of ros. so it got to be a little more fun and creative. now that mandalorian is disney's only unanimously approved of sw product they're gonna be sucking all the life out of it like the vampires they are

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I've seen some decent-ish sources backing that up and it fits Disney's profile. I don't know that you'd call the Pirates of the Caribbean series great cinema, but the only reason the trilogy was fun and it got off to a good start was supposedly that the execs completely abandoned it after their galaxy brain idea of a Disneyworld ride-inspired line of movies failed hard and they left it alone as a sunk cost doomed film.

And yeah, I'm a little worried that they're going to gently caress up what made the Mandalorian good now that they're pinning everything to it. There's a major shift in merchandising to Mandalorian stuff. Not just Baby Yoda either. I guess the Obi-Wan series, if it ever comes out, might give us a better idea of what direction the suits want.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Don't worry, I'm sure S2 of Mando will be perfectly serviceable but nerds will still make 8 hour long videos on how it literally murdered their childhoods or whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It still hurts because it was just five years ago that I was enthralled that Star Wars was actually back and seemed like it was going to be good. I'd had my heart broken by the old EU with the dreck that is Legacy of the Force, so Force Awakens was something I I really clicked with. There was potential and promise there.
And then the next five years happened and my optimism for it waned as stuff continued to pile up, with clunky scripts and too much nostalgia baiting from Rogue One, good ideas with weak execution like Last Jedi, outright disasters like pretty much everything EA has done with the games license until Fallen Order came out, and a general sense of distancing settling in. It was a blip of optimism, but the reality was that nothing had actually changed with Star Wars except the ownership. It's no better than the EU. It has ups and (many more) downs and what is good will get ground down as the suits overcorrect.

I just look at Disney and feel resigned that these assholes own everything and it gets hard to reconcile the stuff of theirs I like (Mandalorian, Guardians of the Galaxy) with how concerned I am at their growing monopoly on popular culture. Everything needs to be rendered down to appeal to all groups. Movies get re-edited to hide bare asses with CGI hair, or Simpsons episodes have their visual gags ruined by messing with aspect ratios. And Disney owns all this poo poo now so you can't get it anywhere else, let alone the versions of things you might actually want to see.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Heroes was one of those shows that got t-boned by the 2007 Writers Strike and just never recovered from it

The finale of Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 both existed before the strike, so you really cannot blame the strike for the show sucking. They just dropped the ball, and the strike made it even harder for them to pick it back up.

Heroes continues to make me so angry by how spectacularly it hosed up. I can't think of any other show that has ever completely poo poo its bed like that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

for the record max landis was only an executive producer for channel zero and didn’t do any writing, and also only for the first two seasons. that said i agree that both it and dirk gently are fantastic shows even if his involvement leaves a really loving sour taste in my mouth

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jamesman posted:

The finale of Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 both existed before the strike, so you really cannot blame the strike for the show sucking. They just dropped the ball, and the strike made it even harder for them to pick it back up.

Heroes continues to make me so angry by how spectacularly it hosed up. I can't think of any other show that has ever completely poo poo its bed like that.

Its mind boggling to this day just how hard Heroes bombed after season 1 with regards to everything.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Every season of Channel Zero is really ambitious and interesting, but imo only season two actually delivers on the premise/ideas at play and becomes truly great.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i feel like im in a bizarro universe when people praise channel zero because i thought it was like 4 straight seasons of people's very poorly conceived and executed student films. the first season is a masterclass in failed plot execution

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Calico Heart posted:

Every season of Channel Zero is really ambitious and interesting, but imo only season two actually delivers on the premise/ideas at play and becomes truly great.

yeah season 2 is loving incredible but the rest i’ve seen is still fun. helps that the seasons are pretty short

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Dark Angel. It pulled off the impossibe: it was an 00s sci-fi show on Fox that was good, popular, and got a second season. No other Fox sci-fi show aside from The Orville has managed to score all three prongs of the trifecta like that. They usually get one or two, never three.

However, things go to poo poo in the closing minutes of its first season finale. It had a perfectly serviceable and satisfying ending firmly in its grasp only to swing hard right into Major Drama and undo all the good will it had earned up to that point. Season 2 started out rocky and then spiraled uncontrollably into poo poo because the plotline they cooked up to replace the season 1 arc really sucked and was some weird poo poo about animal people.

It also earned a lot of satillite ire, iirc, because it basically either ended or contributed to the premature end of WWE wrestler Lita's career, as she was one of the most popular, accomplished and promising female wrestlers of the time... and she basically destroyed her neck iirc doing a stunt gone wrong while filming a guest star bit on DA season 2. So it's like "wow, your show went to poo poo AND you ruined a woman's career in the process? No wonder you never got a third season."

This was also by the way one of James Cameron's numerous James Cameron Development Hell Special attempts to make a live action Battle Angel: Alita, as if the title wasn't enough of a giveaway.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 1, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just look at Disney and feel resigned that these assholes own everything and it gets hard to reconcile the stuff of theirs I like (Mandalorian, Guardians of the Galaxy) with how concerned I am at their growing monopoly on popular culture. Everything needs to be rendered down to appeal to all groups. Movies get re-edited to hide bare asses with CGI hair, or Simpsons episodes have their visual gags ruined by messing with aspect ratios. And Disney owns all this poo poo now so you can't get it anywhere else, let alone the versions of things you might actually want to see.

Yeah, Disney owning as much of American pop culture as they do has been a constant source of frustration for me, mostly because everyone else seems okay with it. Like, if Disney announced that it was buying Time Warner tomorrow, people would just be excited that we'd get a JLA/Avengers crossover movie instead of freaking out over Disney owning almost all of American entertainment. I get that there's only so much we can do, but it really bothers me that people would be okay with Disney owning more if it meant that they'd get more merch of their favorite property.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

max landis' problems are entirely with him as a human being and not with him as a screenwriter; he's done a lot of stuff and the vast bulk of it is fine-to-good (I also really genuinely like American Ultra, and both Channel Zero and Dirk Gently are really good shows)

Clip of Landis talking about wanting Bright to be his Star Wars here.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Solitair posted:

I still listen to the stream where Fredrik dunks on Empress Theresa (the book, not the history of its publication) from time to time. Maybe it's punching down, but I still like to hear Fredrik get worked up so much about it.

Speaking of, I forgot if I posted it here or not but Krimson Rogue finished his in-depth practically line-by-line critique of the book. It ended up clocking in at 7 hours over 5 parts. Here's a link to it in a playlist if you want to watch the whole thing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Captain Invictus posted:

TheSuperSNES AKA PJ DiCesare is doing another gimmick Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts run, the "Choo Choo Challenge" wherein he is challenging himself to beat everything using nothing but trains(multi-part vehicles connected by towbars) which in a game with as many PHYSICS as this one has, should be a good time for all involved.

The first video or two are mostly of him going around the starter town using said PHYSICS to get to a shitload of vehicle parts he shouldn't be getting right away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buONnLfc7o4&hd=1

PJ's always a good, relaxing watch.
PJ is uniquely tallented at breaking games in really stupid ways to the point where things seem to just passively go wrong for no other reason than his proximity to them.

I'm also reminded of that old Nuts and Bolts LP where one of the goon submited entries for a long jump challenge was a towbar powered contraption that was so unstable that it just spun up into the air and never came down again.

I am looking forward to some incredible bullshit

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

man nuts and bolts is such a great game and i hate that people shat on it when it came out

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

fun hater posted:

i feel like im in a bizarro universe when people praise channel zero because i thought it was like 4 straight seasons of people's very poorly conceived and executed student films. the first season is a masterclass in failed plot execution

I said "Ambitious and interesting", not good. The first season is probably the most by-the-numbers they get and really falls apart in the latter half. I'll defend two as pretty great, but three is at least really weird and ambitious despite a lot of obvious failings. I didn't care as much for four but, overall, still appreciate how unique and crazy and odd the show was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

man nuts and bolts is such a great game and i hate that people shat on it when it came out

Well have you seen another B&K game since? The problem with it was it was going to either be good and spawn more Nuts and Bolts style games, or it tanks and the publishers go "well that means nobody wants more Banjo-Kazooie". There wasn't a l path to "people actually want Banjo and Kazooie 3, have Rare make that" anywhere in that.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Civvie plays the Postal 4 alpha and it... actually makes me interested in playing a Postal game again. And I'm not even 12 anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiahtZX9PiQ

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I was surprised when I actually saw gameplay of it because I was expecting something awful and it turned out to look like a really good game with a lot of interesting mechanics and I regret not buying it back when I had an Xbox 360.

People fuckin hated it.

Also if they came out today with Banjo Kazooie 4 and it felt exactly like an updated version of the old games, and was designed the same way as the originals, people would also hate that. That style of game design has not held up. People are no longer impressed by a large map that you can run around in.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 1, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Casey Finnigan posted:

That style of game design has not held up.

Large disagree, I can still play B-K 1 and 2, Conker's Bad Fur Day etc. just fine, people haven't made many good collectathons anymore is the problem.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I've never seen Heroes. Does anyone mind explaining what exactly went wrong? Or post a link to a video explaining what went wrong?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

Also if they came out today with Banjo Kazooie 4 and it felt exactly like an updated version of the old games, and was designed the same way as the originals, people would also hate that. That style of game design has not held up. People are no longer impressed by a large map that you can run around in.

I mean they made a spiritual sequel in the form of Yooka-Laylee and that was decently received. (Alltho it did have its fair share of critics sure)

Edit:oops sorry for double posting

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time were stellar and loved by basically everyone. You can absolutely make a collectathon platformer in 2020 and make it work

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh wait yeah A Hat In Time was super good too, I almost forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Archer666 posted:

Civvie plays the Postal 4 alpha and it... actually makes me interested in playing a Postal game again. And I'm not even 12 anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiahtZX9PiQ

Don't support the ultrachuds at Running With Scissors.