Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Steve Naghavi's into Q poo poo? I heard about the anti-lockdown COVID stuff, which is stupid, but QAnon makes no sense for a non-American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mennoknight posted:

I recommend friggin KLACK

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jeffe posted:

This is my first experience as far as I can remember where I am questioning whether to stop listening to a band due to their beliefs. I am typically ignorant of that stuff, I don't bother reading lots of interviews, and it helps that lyrics are often abstract enough (and mangled with Google Translate) that I'd never get a sense of something being "off" (plus And One's lyrics never make sense). I'm getting all philosophical now, because there are "lines" that, when crossed, would make you want to drop a band, but where is that line? Right-leaning is not in and of itself enough, I'm mostly centrist/left-leaning, but Q is a ball of nuts that caused actual trouble and feels way over that line. Now I want to remain purposely ignorant of this for other bands I like.

Note that this is in regards to bands which normally don't make it an issue in their music so it's a surprise that probably would never have come up without stupid social media. And there are a lot of terrible far-right bands which make their feelings quite clear and I'd avoid them right away. I just don't want to have to question everything now, lyrics are often too ambiguous, or a band is only trolling/being theatrical (think: Christians who listen to Ghost).

Sorry to derail a little with this, but it's actually relevant, we're dealing with a lot of European bands which don't sing in English (and are mostly German), and the genre is often accused of being full of a bunch of Nazis by default for that. I've had to explain more than once to people that Rammstein aren't. This just surprised me so much that I've been thinking about it all day.

Something that someone elsewhere said, that tbh sounded pretty sensible to me, was really that everyone needs to decide where to draw their own line and sometimes it's kinda flexible and a very personal decision. I mean if you've already got some of their music then continuing listening to it doesn't earn them money, so it's not like you're funding the weird conspiracy nut. So you could keep listening to what you've got, but don't buy any more.

Or maybe the line is you're happy to listen at home and even buy their next release if it's good - but you wouldn't play it at a night you were DJing or reccomend it to friends because you don't want to come across as someone who supports that kind of thing.

I think its a tough decision when the views you don't agree with aren't a part of their music, but you still know about them - but for me, if I like an artist's older stuff and I've already got it, the artist isn't gaining anything from me putting on their old CDs or mp3s that I've got, so most of the time I'm ok with that (depending on what they've done/said - of course.. there are some hard lines that will lead to me 'cancelling' them completely as far as my own listening goes)

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
^^^I agree with this. My friends and I talk about this now and then.

If someone comes out as being genuinely lovely, or especially has personally been lovely to someone I know, it tends to sour me on them. I used to love 3TEETH but in addition to disliking the direction of the last album and just hearing some personal stories from friends/djs/other bands about the band I've pretty much stopped listening to them. Plus Lex posted some pretty fuckin tone-deaf stuff when the lockdowns started happening, and then the 9/11 3TEETH post was beyond trolling into just plain being lovely IMO.

If you already own the music, I don't see harm in listening to it- it's yours to do what you want with it. My personal stance would be to stop buying from someone who says/does something lovely.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

the brainwaves are thinking
And One's lyrics have always been hard to put a finger on one side or the other but drat didn't know he was that far right, I wouldn't have guessed from just the music alone. I don't really care about the personal beliefs of a band over my own or anything it's not like I'm going to stop listening to the stuff I like

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Isn't Steve an Iranian-born German? Why would he fall for far-right crap, seems so strange to me, like you're one of the people that they hate and want to be rid of...

But I never heard anything off in their songs myself, the only one I can remember that got me to raise my eyebrows was Steine sind Steine but not enough to make me stop listening to them.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

TatoPancakes posted:

And One's lyrics have always been hard to put a finger on one side or the other but drat didn't know he was that far right, I wouldn't have guessed from just the music alone. I don't really care about the personal beliefs of a band over my own or anything it's not like I'm going to stop listening to the stuff I like

I've always just chalked it up to a "ehhhhn..." command of English.

My personal philosophy is that you shouldn't financially support bands, authors, etc. that have morally reprehensible viewpoints or have been credibly accused of gross misconduct. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy their art, take that to mean what you will.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I was just reminded of the existence of Killing Miranda. Burn Sinister was a fantastically silly song about necrophilia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxW-dinxOWU

Then and now, I can't stop giggling at "is this stiffness rigor mortis?" and "come kiss my ice-blue lips, my cold dead flee-eee-eesh, yeeeaah!"

I also remember hanging out with them after one of their shows in London in 2001. They were pretty chill and friendly.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Steve Naghavi confirmed for full-on chud.

https://twitter.com/ANDONEofficial/likes

I loving hate this.

How the gently caress does an Iranian-born, German synth pop musician - who named an album Aggressor and pointedly did not have any English lyrics on it because he didn't want to speak the language of the aggressor George W. Bush - go loving ga-ga over Donald Trump?!

And yes, I verified that is indeed really the official And One twitter... The Facebook page is now the official And One homepage (yuck), it links to their Soundcloud which links right back to this Twitter account.

2020 is loving terrible.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jesus loving christ, gently caress you Steve

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

In more fun news, Rummelsnuff released two new videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hBT1hfwLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyxFg0tdF_k

Edit:
She Hates Emotions, a project from Chris Pohl from Blutengel also released a new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxf9oq8m6zE

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 9, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

In the eternally ongoing Steve Naghavi drama, he is now saying his Twitter and Facebook were hacked. Exciting

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
PatriotismA claim of hacking is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

In the eternally ongoing Steve Naghavi drama, he is now saying his Twitter and Facebook were hacked. Exciting

On one hand, this poo poo seemed to have been going on for a long while.

On the other hand... gently caress it, if he says he's hacked over this, maybe he was. :shrug:

I haven't bought an And One album in 8 years and this isn't really going to change that either way.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
best band ever

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

LabyaMynora posted:

Steve Naghavi confirmed for full-on chud.

https://twitter.com/ANDONEofficial/likes

I loving hate this.

How the gently caress does an Iranian-born, German synth pop musician - who named an album Aggressor and pointedly did not have any English lyrics on it because he didn't want to speak the language of the aggressor George W. Bush - go loving ga-ga over Donald Trump?!

And yes, I verified that is indeed really the official And One twitter... The Facebook page is now the official And One homepage (yuck), it links to their Soundcloud which links right back to this Twitter account.

2020 is loving terrible.

Man I’m guessing they deleted the entire twitter account?

I really wish the poo poo I liked could just come with a fascist/not fascist disclaimer and make it easy. It’d make liking a lot of Scandinavia/Norse poo poo easier too :sigh:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
https://www.rivetingnews.org/2020/05/and-one-twitter-hack.html

Ah, the old WE GOT HACKED!

....and then deleted all their social media presence.

Right then.

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

Yeah, good job deleting everything instead of you know, coming out and denouncing it so we could just maybe believe you’re not a nazi.

But hey, get that hacker

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As somebody on Telekon was saying, it's weird seeing Riveting News doing basically straight reporting.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Random question, but can anyone explain why Project Pitchfork - Rain would have over 9 million views?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCPVLjrHDTs

Don't get me wrong, I loving LOVE Project Pitchfork, but their popularity seems to have been in severe decline for well over a decade, and their other newer songs don't get nearly this much attention.

One clue might be a comment saying that the Birthday Massacre brought them to it?

edit: drat I really like that video

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've never listened to much Project Pitchfork but when I listen to a song on YouTube and just let it automatically progress it will, regardless of genre, eventually fall into a cul-de-sac of about 15 or 20 songs, all club hits like Call the Shops to Port and Military Fashion Show. Rain is one of those songs. I suspect I'm not the only one whose Google account does this.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

I've never listened to much Project Pitchfork but when I listen to a song on YouTube and just let it automatically progress it will, regardless of genre, eventually fall into a cul-de-sac of about 15 or 20 songs, all club hits like Call the Shops to Port and Military Fashion Show. Rain is one of those songs. I suspect I'm not the only one whose Google account does this.

Yup, Rain constantly pops up in my YouTube recommendations. I've even watched it two or three times over the years, but it still just keeps popping up every couple of weeks. :shrug:

Same with VNV Nation's newish "Where is the Future" video, which I'm far less enthusiastic about.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well that's interesting! I only thought about it because my brother was wondering about it when it came up on his recommendations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Their popularity seems to be in decline? That does not match my impression of the crowds they draw at pretty much any European festival they headline.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pope Guilty posted:

spotify does this too, and yes it's "Call The Ships To Port" and "Military Fashion Show" also

hbxli
Aug 4, 2004

BABIES... THEY'RE BABIES
gently caress TRUMP

https://bixlee.bandcamp.com/track/you-cannot-silence-us

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I was stoked when a new Unter Null popped up my on Spotify new release thingy, but it's just some dude singing in German over a lovely beat? Is it April Fools or something?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I was stoked when a new Unter Null popped up my on Spotify new release thingy, but it's just some dude singing in German over a lovely beat? Is it April Fools or something?
Eh, what did you think Unter Null was? Because that sounds pretty spot on.

Edit: I’ve never listened to Unter Null and it seems the dude sings in english. The rest holds up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Unter Null is a woman.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sloppy posted:

Nah I think it's a different artist with the same name. Spotify gets confused by that a lot and lumps them in together because The Algorithm can't tell them apart

yeah it's this https://www.discogs.com/Unter-Null-Eisb%C3%A4r/release/452947

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

divabot posted:

spotify does this too, and yes it's "Call The Ships To Port" and "Military Fashion Show" also

I get Call the Ships to Port but not Military Fashion Show. Youtube prefers to offer me Kirlian Camera's Sky Collapse.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

How about something ... "new"

https://metropolisrecords.bandcamp.com/track/without-you-2

Nifty cover of a Seabound b-side... with Frank still singing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
So hey, this compilation has come out today - made by folk from the I Die: You Die and Talking To Ghosts slack channel with a bunch of g/i and scene-adjacent music on it. Proceeds go to the NAACP Legal Defence & Education fund and if it's bought today (the 19th), bandcamp's cut does too.

https://idieyoudie.bandcamp.com/album/telekompilation-vol-3

Also, it features at least two SA goon contributions (potentially more, idk, I lose track of who's who elsewhere).
One of them is me - I've started (as in, this is my first released track and tbh have no idea what I'm doing) some kind of EBM thing under the name Trellick.

Anyone else can either out themselves or I guess keep quiet if you're not wanting to shout about your secret life as an industrial superstar :ninja:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s me I’ve got a new project called Univerkko that’s very much not industrial

You should listen to the compilation for It Is Good, especially this track by a total newcomer called ”Trellick” I think that track slaps in a fun old school way

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

It’s me I’ve got a new project called Univerkko that’s very much not industrial

You should listen to the compilation for It Is Good, especially this track by a total newcomer called ”Trellick” I think that track slaps in a fun old school way

Dammit I have not actually listened to it yet even tho I posted about it (because I bought it at 8am then logged on to work and sit on Zoom calls all day) :-D

Soooooooon

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

Danger - Octopus! posted:

So hey, this compilation has come out today - made by folk from the I Die: You Die and Talking To Ghosts slack channel with a bunch of g/i and scene-adjacent music on it. Proceeds go to the NAACP Legal Defence & Education fund and if it's bought today (the 19th), bandcamp's cut does too.

https://idieyoudie.bandcamp.com/album/telekompilation-vol-3

Also, it features at least two SA goon contributions (potentially more, idk, I lose track of who's who elsewhere).
One of them is me - I've started (as in, this is my first released track and tbh have no idea what I'm doing) some kind of EBM thing under the name Trellick.

Anyone else can either out themselves or I guess keep quiet if you're not wanting to shout about your secret life as an industrial superstar :ninja:

Just picked it up, thanks for the heads up. Needed new music and glad to throw money towards a good cause

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

new Lamb of God video has Randy wearing an En Esch shirt for the entire video which sparked me to go listen to the new track he was on which was some good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kz5BHmw-Os

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Join IDYD’s Telekon if y’all want to chat about this poo poo and hang out somewhere that’s not run by a domestic abuser!

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

extradite THIS! posted:

Join IDYD’s Telekon if y’all want to chat about this poo poo and hang out somewhere that’s not run by a domestic abuser!

Join the slack, we have cat pics and food pics and site admins eating durian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ohrwurm posted:

Join the slack, we have cat pics and food pics and site admins eating durian

What's the slack info?