Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
96 L plasma turrets :lol: yeah that'll do it. Watching space battles from a station is pretty awesome. I had to dock at a station that was being sieged from overhead by a Xenon K and the view was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm still at the game where taking on an I seems like a daunting task.
Can't wait to mount a crazy amount of L turrets on a station next to every single jumpgate from enemy territory.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

X isn't a series that's difficult to learn in the sense that you have no idea what you are doing, it's just difficult in the sense that there's lots of possible things you could be doing and it's never obvious what's optimal.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was going to smash the patriarchy but they are the only ones currently building ships at my first wharf so I may let them live a while longer while I take all their cash at 150% ship price.

And in the game…

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I spend more time designing mega stations than every other activity combined.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

guys i did it, i sat in an asteroid field and found some crystals, they were worth 15k a piece, so i sold them, did a few easy missions and bought a mining ship with the cheapest fit (argon drill i think). figured out how to auto mine, set it up in black hole sun IV and now he mines and sells at the ore refinery there, makes like 50k every 10 mins!

then i noticed the wharf just north of there, the TEL one or whatever was taking damage so i went to have a look, and some big rear end red ship was kicking its rear end, so i started shooting it with my starter ship and nearly died, so i ran away, then another fleet showed up and killed it.

game good

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't find a damaged singularity engine to save my life, orz.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
If you only have one miner you should set it to Nvidium for max cash. It eventually will run out of places to sell but that'll be dozens of hours. FWIW the pricing for mineral seems to be nvidium > silicon > ore > ice.

D. Ebdrup posted:

I can't find a damaged singularity engine to save my life, orz.
Same but with the flux capacitor, 90 hours in the game and I've never had SETA been craftable despite murdering a lot of Xenon and pirates!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

If you only have one miner you should set it to Nvidium for max cash. It eventually will run out of places to sell but that'll be dozens of hours. FWIW the pricing for mineral seems to be nvidium > silicon > ore > ice.

Same but with the flux capacitor, 90 hours in the game and I've never had SETA been craftable despite murdering a lot of Xenon and pirates!

I think the flux capacitor drop from khaak

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

this game....

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Krogort posted:

I think the flux capacitor drop from khaak

Well gently caress

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Dal Busta's clown shoes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

It would be loving rad if the venture system would let us send parts to each other.

staberind posted:

this game....
The evolution of manintelligent life?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If crafting SETA has you down you can consider using the Early SETA mod which lets you craft it for just one interface unit, available for cheap from most trader corners and also as a freebie from Boso Ta at the beginning of the player HQ quest line.

queeb posted:

game good

:emptyquote:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

timn posted:

If crafting SETA has you down you can consider using the Early SETA mod which lets you craft it for just one interface unit, available for cheap from most trader corners and also as a freebie from Boso Ta at the beginning of the player HQ quest line.
Eh it's probably fine, it forces me to actually do things while stuff happens for now.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

loving holy moly. i moved the trader dude over to grand exchange, set him to sector mine nvidium sicne thats the only place i could find selling. he flew around to grand exchange IV, i went off to crystal mine, like 15 mins later he makes a 550k sale. jesus. im over 1m now with the crystals I mined. time to kit out another 3 miners

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah a full tank of nividium in a medium miner is about 500k, some of the best starting money you can get. It does fill up the trading stations though so you can't do too many of them until the nividum... dissolves into the ether or however it gets out of the trading station.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ill probably leave him doing nvidium and toss the other 3 just doing ore or something, just so i dont over saturate.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah it's a great way to boot strap your game to do non-boring stuff :)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am certainly glad the days of X3 Energy Cell trading in an M5 are definitely over.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
There are by my count six sectors with a trading station in which you can also plop a 0 star auto miner for nvidium, 3 in Teladi space and 3 in Argon space. A single medium auto miner will suffice to saturate each, and between the six of them you'll have plenty of passive income to outfit some combat ships and build up a big station of your own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

queeb posted:

ill probably leave him doing nvidium and toss the other 3 just doing ore or something, just so i dont over saturate.

You can have them mine and sell nividum in other sectors with a trading station that buys it, there's about five sectors you can put them in I think.

E: Or six!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

amazing, time to do some exploring! I think i found 3 so far. the world seems huge

timn
Mar 16, 2010
That said with enough piloting stars you might be able to use the more advanced auto miner commands to supply trade stations which don't have local nividium too. However by that time you've probably got enough other passive money making schemes in the works that it's not worth the extra effort to bother setting it up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually think literally every trading station that buys nividium can mine it locally in the same sector (or cluster, because sectors linked by blue/orange superhighways are counted as the same sector for AI purposes)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Patiently awaiting a screenshot of a station-sized Dal Busta floating in the void of space

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i have 5 million bucks now, i dont even know what to do with all this cash. i guess theres a personal HQ quest? ill google that and do it while these guys make me assloads of money

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 1, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Get 10 rep with the Paranid or the Split and buy yourself a Nemesis or a Dragon, respectively. Trick that thing out for busting Xenon and then probably start working on building your first station.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

OwlFancier posted:

I actually think literally every trading station that buys nividium can mine it locally in the same sector (or cluster, because sectors linked by blue/orange superhighways are counted as the same sector for AI purposes)

No, there are definitely ones that buy it even though they have no nvidia in their sector. Specifically the ones in Tharka's Ravine and Open Market, at least.

queeb posted:

man i have 5 million bucks now, i dont even know what to do with all this cash

I'm still convinced Dal Busta is his wrestling name.

As for money: you can buy a bigger boat, buy many smaller boats to follow your big boat or rest inside you, buy more miners to make more money to buy even bigger boats, or buy a plot of space to build the pleasure resort/industrial hell-hole of your dreams.

Anyhow, random newbie tips without too many spoilers in them:
  • When on foot you can run by double-tapping 'w'. Or, better yet, by rebinding 'w' to run instead of walk.
  • Shift-D will teleport you to your ship from anywhere on a station, no need to run there.
  • Once you find The Highway, ride it for a bit to explore some sectors, it's always easy to get back where you started if you want to.
  • You can turn off the setting where entering the map makes your boat slow down to a stop.
  • You can turn off the automatic align-to-plane roll in the settings. Having more roll control is useful for combat thrusters, which pitch up and down much faster than they yaw left and right.
  • Scanning an NPC station by entering scan mode and crawling all over it to make the % go up unlocks information about what goods the station has in storage, how its production chain is set up, and things like that. Don't try to get a 100% scan of a station, it's boring and you usually can't.
  • The tutorial mentions the data leaks you find while scanning. There are actually two kinds of data leaks: comm leaks, which give you "shady" missions and are useful if you need to find black market traders or want a life of crime, and signals which give you things like discounts at the station and later can unlock component blueprints. If you need signal leaks you can use crafted EMP bombs from your spacesuit, which spawn 4 signal leaks on the bombed component but piss off station security.
  • Your spacesuit repair beam can be used to repair your boat for free if you're too poor for a professional job. Just get out and shoot it for a minute.
  • When selling a ship you get more money by first selling all the parts and then selling the actual ship.
  • When you give an order to "your" ship while at a station and at some other times it will enter a "waiting for signal" mode where it needs you to com it or talk to the captain and say "proceed with current orders" before doing what you told it. This is to prevent you from accidentally ordering your ride away, and is annoying.
  • There are two helpful newbie/"story" missions you want to pick up soonish:
    • One (that you found) is Hatikvah's Trade Revolution, which you can accept when near the Hatikvah's Choice system.
    • One is a mission you always get the first time you find a communications leak while scanning a station.
  • Once you unlock the SETA, you can activate the very strong and powerful disco mode by cycling through all the 4 ship modes very quickly.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 1, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

No, there are definitely ones that buy it even though they have no nvidia in their sector.

Are you telling me they're been making 2080ti's with that poo poo this whole time? What rep do I need before I can sign up to become a board partner?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hmm, do stations spawn in different areas or stuff? There's supposed to be a trading post in holy vision but I've searched the whole thing and there isnt one there.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
They can get blown up and the faction will rebuild it somewhere else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

One is a mission you always get the first time you find a communications leak while scanning a station.[/list]
Fwiw, I've had it not be the first one, on my most recent start.
That's also the start where it felt like I had some idea of what I was doing, which was kinda fun and a nice chance of pace, instead of just floundering around.

If you ever put down the game because you want to let it cook some more (my reason), I do encourage think starting over is a much better idea than picking up where you left off.

queeb posted:

hmm, do stations spawn in different areas or stuff? There's supposed to be a trading post in holy vision but I've searched the whole thing and there isnt one there.
So far as I've been able to tell, the way each sector is designed is such that stations can be in different spots for each sector, depending presumably on some sort of initial seed feature which determines a bunch of universe-generation stuff.
I also get the impression that it may be possible for the Wharf and Shipyards of some of the factions (but not the Argon and Paraid?) to be in different sectors, but haven't been able to completely confirm that.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Fwiw, I've had it not be the first one, on my most recent start.
That's also the start where it felt like I had some idea of what I was doing, which was kinda fun and a nice chance of pace, instead of just floundering around.

If you ever put down the game because you want to let it cook some more (my reason), I do encourage think starting over is a much better idea than picking up where you left off.

So far as I've been able to tell, the way each sector is designed is such that stations can be in different spots for each sector, depending presumably on some sort of initial seed feature which determines a bunch of universe-generation stuff.
I also get the impression that it may be possible for the Wharf and Shipyards of some of the factions (but not the Argon and Paraid?) to be in different sectors but haven't been able to completely confirm that.

I can totally 100% confirm this, I've only had the game a week ago but I've restarted countless times while trying to get a feel for it, trying the different starting options and different mods to work out what I wanted before investing 500 hours into something that just wasn't exactly what I wanted...

Several times I've had a wharf or shipyards etc in different sectors to what the out of game map I've been using have said. They've never been far away, but they have certainly changed. It's usually, from what I've seen, the Paranid and Teladi.

But then again, I could be 100% crazy after being locked in my house for weeks on end and having nobody else to talk to other than strangers on the internet. :iiam:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

No, there are definitely ones that buy it even though they have no nvidia in their sector. Specifically the ones in Tharka's Ravine and Open Market, at least.

Oh... yeah... those are xenon sectors in my game so... :v:

timn posted:

Are you telling me they're been making 2080ti's with that poo poo this whole time? What rep do I need before I can sign up to become a board partner?

Nividum, in case anyone isn't aware, is what they call platinum in X.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Nividum, in case anyone isn't aware, is what they call platinum in X.
I thought that was teladinium.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
In Ianamus Zura at the Thuruk's Demise jumpgate, the last couple starts I've begun there's been a little cutscene with a split ship coming through with the Argon federation icon stamped on it, talking about stars matching old charts and this being a way back to the 'old federation'.

I have no conversation options with the ship I see afterwards. What's this all about?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

I thought that was teladinium.

Teladianium is a weird metal rich ceramic that the teladi use as a construction material. They actually have a whole alternate production chain for it in X4, though it uses the same inputs.

Duodecimal posted:

In Ianamus Zura at the Thuruk's Demise jumpgate, the last couple starts I've begun there's been a little cutscene with a split ship coming through with the Argon federation icon stamped on it, talking about stars matching old charts and this being a way back to the 'old federation'.

I have no conversation options with the ship I see afterwards. What's this all about?

It's a small cutscene that plays when you first encounter a gate to the split DLC sectors. Nothing more. There's an equivalent one if you start on the other side of those gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I have bounced off X4 many times just because I struggled so much with the controls, but I have finally bought a HOTAS and oh! the difference. I am really enjoying this now I can actually shoot things.

So: are the map sectors actually joined up, or do the cells only have a few defined exit points? I mean, if I am in Trinity Sanctum for example and just fly south east, will I ever reach Hewa's Twin?