Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Thermopyle posted:

Seems like a good location to me.

I don't know how big the Eufy doorbell is though.

Not that this seems applicable to you, but I'll put this out there for anyone else who might care: I 3d printed a more extreme angled adapter for my Nest Hello doorbell because my front door is close to an inside corner and the wall coming out perpendicular to the door took up 50% of the field of view even with the included angled adapter, which seemed a waste.

It's about as tall as a phone. Kinda chunky. I did some experimenting right after posting, I might not need the offset:

View from that position:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Eufy (Anker brand) announced some new indoor cams with some pre-order discounts. They're not too expensive

https://www.eufylife.com/activities/indoorcampreorder

Gonna risk preordering one cause I know someone who could use something like it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles posted:

Eufy (Anker brand) announced some new indoor cams with some pre-order discounts. They're not too expensive

https://www.eufylife.com/activities/indoorcampreorder

Gonna risk preordering one cause I know someone who could use something like it.

Very cool, I like how it has Homekit support. I would definitely preorder if they had my country as an option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Great write up here if you're nerdy enough.

quote:

Shortly after IRIS was shut down in April 2019, I started looking at the code on GitHub. As part of open sourcing IRIS, Lowe's included most of the code but omitted any documentation. Fortunately, a few days later a few architecture diagrams were committed, which served as a starting place for better understanding the Arcus architecture. IRIS was originally hosted on Apache Marathon, but the configurations for Marathon were very specific to the deployment and not included as part of the open-source release. Command-line tooling for setup on developer machines was included, but the configuration options and setup process were not included. As a result, it took a few days of reading through the code and troubleshooting to reach a system that could be considered "working".

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So question on what may be best described as the architecture of a smart home.

As background, I started with a couple Ecobee thermostats, then got some Philips Hue lights. Those are integrated to Google Home, and there are a few of those speakers around the house. I have a few basic automations, but it's actually half using the Philips Hue features and half using the Google features.

Now we've added an Abode home security system. Now I'm trying to figure out how best to really integrate everything with each other without having to do a million things and potentially run in to conflicting automations or something.

Is there a "master" to this system that I should use? Does it matter, or will it all work out fine (or maybe better) if I automate things individually or in different ways?

Like if for example I want the lights to blink yellow when I set the alarm system to "home" or something, or maybe turn on when I disarm the alarm in the evening. Would I drive that from Abode? Or would I use Google?

edit: I have IFTTT, but I only used it briefly to connect something via Stringify, which is no longer available so it doesn't do anything at the moment, and I haven't explored it much.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 30, 2020

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DaveSauce posted:

So question on what may be best described as the architecture of a smart home.

As background, I started with a couple Ecobee thermostats, then got some Philips Hue lights. Those are integrated to Google Home, and there are a few of those speakers around the house. I have a few basic automations, but it's actually half using the Philips Hue features and half using the Google features.

Now we've added an Abode home security system. Now I'm trying to figure out how best to really integrate everything with each other without having to do a million things and potentially run in to conflicting automations or something.

Is there a "master" to this system that I should use? Does it matter, or will it all work out fine (or maybe better) if I automate things individually or in different ways?

Like if for example I want the lights to blink yellow when I set the alarm system to "home" or something, or maybe turn on when I disarm the alarm in the evening. Would I drive that from Abode? Or would I use Google?

edit: I have IFTTT, but I only used it briefly to connect something via Stringify, which is no longer available so it doesn't do anything at the moment, and I haven't explored it much.

Home Assistant would work for that, however it's a very featureful and powerful thingamajig so it might be too complicated for what you're wanting to do...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Seconding Home Assistant for this. It does well to tie multiple ecosystems together, and it supports a LOT of devices.

They have got it to the point where many users don't even have to touch the YAML config files directly anymore, everything can be done with the GUI.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Not that this seems applicable to you, but I'll put this out there for anyone else who might care: I 3d printed a more extreme angled adapter for my Nest Hello doorbell because my front door is close to an inside corner and the wall coming out perpendicular to the door took up 50% of the field of view even with the included angled adapter, which seemed a waste.

Hot diggity, that’s where I’m at with looking at 3rd party options. Haven’t gone to install, but it’s in a corner and I’m not going to get much out of 15 degrees.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dr. Habibi posted:

Hot diggity, that’s where I’m at with looking at 3rd party options. Haven’t gone to install, but it’s in a corner and I’m not going to get much out of 15 degrees.

If you know someone with a 3d printer they could print this one for you. It's the one I used.

You might get someone in the 3d printing thread to print it for you.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

Seconding Home Assistant for this. It does well to tie multiple ecosystems together, and it supports a LOT of devices.

They have got it to the point where many users don't even have to touch the YAML config files directly anymore, everything can be done with the GUI.

Im pretty smart, and the last time I looked at home assistant, I went crosseyed.

I *just* wanted to put a tablet in the kitchen that would act as controller to run a few switches, wyze cams, and some alexa routines.

Has it changed much in 6 months? I need a stwp by step.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cornjob posted:

Im pretty smart, and the last time I looked at home assistant, I went crosseyed.

I *just* wanted to put a tablet in the kitchen that would act as controller to run a few switches, wyze cams, and some alexa routines.

They've definitely really streamlined things and have been putting out a major release every 3-4 weeks now

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Thermopyle posted:

Home Assistant would work for that, however it's a very featureful and powerful thingamajig so it might be too complicated for what you're wanting to do...

So what's the best way to set this up? I've never used a raspberry pi before, so just go snag one of those and let 'er rip?

I'm not afraid of complication, I just have no idea how to navigate what seems to be the wild west that is home automation products. Seems like everyone and everything has their own thing that may or may not play well with others, and I can't really tell how to take full advantage of all the stuff I have. So if the price of making everything work is having to sit down and figure it out, then it is what it is.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

So what's the best way to set this up? I've never used a raspberry pi before, so just go snag one of those and let 'er rip?

I'm not afraid of complication, I just have no idea how to navigate what seems to be the wild west that is home automation products. Seems like everyone and everything has their own thing that may or may not play well with others, and I can't really tell how to take full advantage of all the stuff I have. So if the price of making everything work is having to sit down and figure it out, then it is what it is.

They have a pretty good guide to getting started:
https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/
It's well worth the effort to put everything in one place

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

They have a pretty good guide to getting started:
https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/
It's well worth the effort to put everything in one place

Yeah I basically already said gently caress it and ordered the 4gb Pi 4 kit from SparkFun, so there's that. It seems like a no-brainer the more I look at it.

Is there an Android app or other slick way to interface with it via phone/tablet? Or would I need to run it from a local webpage interface or something? edit: that is to say, is there a way to create a quick-access panel with buttons/displays? I understand the majority of the setup and writing automations would be done on a PC.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 1, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I basically already said gently caress it and ordered the 4gb Pi 4 kit from SparkFun, so there's that. It seems like a no-brainer the more I look at it.

Is there an Android app or other slick way to interface with it via phone/tablet? Or would I need to run it from a local webpage interface or something?

Yes there's an android and iphone app
It essentially just uses the web interface with a few additional features though like device tracking/data and push notifications

edit:
here's what it looks like on web-view for me vs. through the app

I have separate tabs for the individual perimeter/presence/device sensors as well as the custom alarm panel setup (which is a bit challenging to get working properly, tbh)

You can set it up so users can only see certain tabs as well, and all of the developer options can be hidden from non-administrators so if you don't want kids/spouses/other family members to break anything, they can't. I think you could create a separate user for the app and web interface as well to allow you to have an app-specific view too.

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 1, 2020

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Yes there's an android and iphone app
It essentially just uses the web interface with a few additional features though like device tracking/data and push notifications

Awesome, thanks.

Kind of on the subject, but is geofencing any good these days? When I tried it years ago for basic phone automation stuff (like using Tasker to turn my phone to silent when I was at work) it was wildly unreliable. I've read that Abode's geofencing is similarly unreliable, so I'm still not sold on it. Is there a trick to it, or is it just inherently unreliable?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, Home Assistant is also an installable web app which functions identically to the Android app mainly except for device tracking, you even get push notifications if you set it up.

When you visit the web interface on your phone or tablet it'll ask if you want to install it to your app drawer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cornjob posted:

It has absolutely changed a ton. Meaningful auto discovery of a lot of things, no more editing YAML files needed if you stick to the common stuff that's been put in the GUI (a LOT of it including zwave) and a meaningful GUI that is customizable enough to use on tablets.

When I started it was editing YAML files and using a 3rd party dashboard system.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Motronic posted:

It has absolutely changed a ton. Meaningful auto discovery of a lot of things, no more editing YAML files needed if you stick to the common stuff that's been put in the GUI (a LOT of it including zwave) and a meaningful GUI that is customizable enough to use on tablets.

When I started it was editing YAML files and using a 3rd party dashboard system.

Fiddled again. Still perplexed. How can I add alexa routines to the home assistant interface?

Also, I have wyze lights, and gosund (smart life) switches, neither of which seems to Home assistant compatible.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cornjob posted:

Fiddled again. Still perplexed. How can I add alexa routines to the home assistant interface?

Also, I have wyze lights, and gosund (smart life) switches, neither of which seems to Home assistant compatible.

To use the native Alexa integration,you have to subscribe to "Nabu Casa", (https://www.nabucasa.com/) which is their $5 per month thing that lets you easily access Home Assistant outside your network, and also gives a endpoint for Alexa and Google Home to use for native integration. You can then expose entities to Alexa... After you select which entities in Home Assistant to expose, they will be picked up by Alexa automatically when you install the Home Assistant skill on Alexa..

As for Wyze bulbs... Those are quite new and the API for those was just recently figured out, it has not been integrated into the mainline release yet.. It is available as a custom component though: https://github.com/JoshuaMulliken/ha-wyzeapi

The Gosund Smart Life switches are yet another Tuya based product. They will work with the Tuya integration: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tuya (this is one of the few where you still have to add it to the config file manually) A ton of cheap HA stuff out there is Tuya based.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It does work well once you get it setup..

Personally I have a good mix of devices.

Several Zwave switches, dimmers and a energy monitoring module, 2 Tuya based RGB Lighbulbs, 2 TP-Link Wifi switches, 2 Wyze contact/door sensors, 1 Wyze motion sensor, 1 cheapo RGBWW LED controller(using "LEDNet" protocol), Alexa, and Google Home.

I also have a custom temperature sensor and garage door opener I built myself based on a ESP8266, but running ESPHome/ESPEasy integration built into HA.

Despite all these different platforms, inside Home Assistant, they all look and behave the same. Ditto when exposed to Alexa and Google Home. This is what makes it so useful.

In the above screenshot are devices from 4 different platforms. Zwave (light switches and energy monitor), ESPHome (door opener and temp/pressure sensor), TPLink (garage light switch), and Wyze (door sensors).

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 1, 2020

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

To use the native Alexa integration,you have to subscribe to "Nabu Casa", (https://www.nabucasa.com/) which is their $5 per month thing that lets you easily access Home Assistant outside your network, and also gives a endpoint for Alexa and Google Home to use for native integration. You can then expose entities to Alexa... After you select which entities in Home Assistant to expose, they will be picked up by Alexa automatically when you install the Home Assistant skill on Alexa..

As for Wyze bulbs... Those are quite new and the API for those was just recently figured out, it has not been integrated into the mainline release yet.. It is available as a custom component though: https://github.com/JoshuaMulliken/ha-wyzeapi

The Gosund Smart Life switches are yet another Tuya based product. They will work with the Tuya integration: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tuya (this is one of the few where you still have to add it to the config file manually) A ton of cheap HA stuff out there is Tuya based.

My desire for alexa integration is the opposite (but also i dont fully understand HA yet). I dont need alexa to control HA.

I want alexa routines to be buttons on the Home assistant UI. Is that part of nabu casa?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cornjob posted:

My desire for alexa integration is the opposite (but also i dont fully understand HA yet). I dont need alexa to control HA.

I want alexa routines to be buttons on the Home assistant UI. Is that part of nabu casa?

Ah no... Not as far as I know. Generally people do the opposite. Setup the routine in HA (called scripts/automations in HA).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just discovered that my Google Home is registered to me, with my wife's email as an "other account". However, when I go into the new "Hey Google" sensitivity setting, I can't adjust anything because it says "Only the person with the primary account on this device is able to update this setting". What is going on and how can I convince the device that I am the person with the primary account?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

Ah no... Not as far as I know. Generally people do the opposite. Setup the routine in HA (called scripts/automations in HA).

From what i have read, it seems i can do 90% of what i need just using alexa routines. I wanted to add HA to get some extra functions, but mainly, i jst want a touchscreen to have easy control of every routine i have created, as well as easy access to specific devices.

HA doesnt seem to quite meet this need for mw, yet.

If only alexa allowed routines to be home screen widgets on my phone, problem would be solved.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cornjob posted:

From what i have read, it seems i can do 90% of what i need just using alexa routines. I wanted to add HA to get some extra functions, but mainly, i jst want a touchscreen to have easy control of every routine i have created, as well as easy access to specific devices.

HA doesnt seem to quite meet this need for mw, yet.

If only alexa allowed routines to be home screen widgets on my phone, problem would be solved.

Can you not just do your automations in HA instead of in Alexa routines? Seems like that would solve your problems and its the reason people usually do the opposite of what you're attempting.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i am completely new to home automation so forgive me if this is facile, but i am looking for a way to have my lights turn on when i'm like 50' away from my apartment. just a simple thing that would be based on the location of my phone, which is pretty much always on me. any recommended devices? any considerations i need to keep in mind? it's really only just for two different lamps so it doesn't seem complicated--maybe it is, i don't know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i am completely new to home automation so forgive me if this is facile, but i am looking for a way to have my lights turn on when i'm like 50' away from my apartment. just a simple thing that would be based on the location of my phone, which is pretty much always on me. any recommended devices? any considerations i need to keep in mind? it's really only just for two different lamps so it doesn't seem complicated--maybe it is, i don't know.

Do you care about a 3rd party service knowing where you are all the time based on your phone location and then selling that data on (and likely paying a monthly fee for the privilege)? If not, there are several easy solutions.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm fairly sure they already know all that from my phone itself so no. i mean, if there's another solution that doesn't do that, i would prefer that route, but it's not a dealbreaker solely because we are all monitored to the gills as is.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

How many light bulbs or switches do you need to turn on?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

two. might add some other things later on, but for now, two.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I tried to use Wink back years ago when I first was looking into home automation. I ended up not using them for a variety of reasons and returned their janky sensor and kit.

I just got an email from them saying they're going to a paid subscription service.
https://blog.wink.com/wink-blog/2020/5/6/introducing-wink-subscription

So if you used Wink, you now get to look at a $4.99 a month service fee in order to use your lightbulbs. So hopefully RIP Wink (and not that other companies will be copying this).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Another reason people should support projects like Home Assistant.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IUG posted:

So I tried to use Wink back years ago when I first was looking into home automation. I ended up not using them for a variety of reasons and returned their janky sensor and kit.

I just got an email from them saying they're going to a paid subscription service.
https://blog.wink.com/wink-blog/2020/5/6/introducing-wink-subscription

So if you used Wink, you now get to look at a $4.99 a month service fee in order to use your lightbulbs. So hopefully RIP Wink (and not that other companies will be copying this).

Yeah just got an app alert for this, it feels like a suicide move because they can absolutely go gently caress themselves if they think I'm paying for a system that doesn't work.

And I literally use it for turning lights on and off and barely anything else, so your description is not far off the mark.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

two. might add some other things later on, but for now, two.

If its for lamps rather than lights on a light switch you could use a couple of these, I have about 8 around the house now and they provide the ability to turn the power on and off as well as giving a heap of stats.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-energy-meter-5v-24a-usb-ports-4-pack/

You can flash them with custom firmware easy enough and then bring them into something like Home Assistant.

Pic of the dodgy dashboard I need to clean up;

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Ok, so one of my hose-end valves driving my drip irrigation system died, and I'm considering a DIY solution using some proper 24VAC irrigation valves and some sort of controlled relay bank.

First option is OpenSprinklerwhich seems comparable to the commercial smart controllers at a fraction of the price.

Second is a multi-bank relay like the Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 that's then switched by automations running on HomeAssistant.

The second is WAY more affordable than the first, but I'm a bit leery of the Sonoff devices. It seems like everything has to go through some chinese cloud service? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any comparable zwave bases controller... Any suggested alternatives would be great!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

Ok, so one of my hose-end valves driving my drip irrigation system died, and I'm considering a DIY solution using some proper 24VAC irrigation valves and some sort of controlled relay bank.

First option is OpenSprinklerwhich seems comparable to the commercial smart controllers at a fraction of the price.

Second is a multi-bank relay like the Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 that's then switched by automations running on HomeAssistant.

The second is WAY more affordable than the first, but I'm a bit leery of the Sonoff devices. It seems like everything has to go through some chinese cloud service? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any comparable zwave bases controller... Any suggested alternatives would be great!

I didn't even click your sonoff link, but they can usually have firmware flashed that makes them locally controllable. ESPHome probably supports it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I didn't even click your sonoff link, but they can usually have firmware flashed that makes them locally controllable. ESPHome probably supports it.

Yeah, I think ESPHome supports them, and I know for sure that Tasmota does.

Tasmota gives it a local web interface with some basic automation built in, and allows it to integrate with Home Assistant and other stuff.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Hubis posted:

Do the sonoff and flash the Tasmota firmware. I have over ten devices running that firmware on a mix of sonoff modules and other custom built ESP based things, and the firmware has been solid and reliable for several years now. Tons of customization options and expandability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Alright, cool. ESPHome is one of those things I keep seeing mentioned but hadn't dig into much yet. Sounds like I'll give it a look and take the plunge...