Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
https://twitter.com/EVO/status/1256308529163452416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
By online are they saying “we’re going to stream some small event and maybe just do the Marvel 2 invitational in an auditorium limited to 5 people at a time or something” or “we’re going to try to have online tournaments” because the latter is going to end up being the biggest blow up for every fg dev involved

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it means theyll do a stream and ban the dead or alive devs again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're probably going to do an online invitational and it will be really boring.

stratego
May 6, 2007

In Training posted:

They're probably going to do an online invitational and it will be heavily colluded.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

clopspeeds, you pleb

lmao

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
An online event featuring SF5 is gonna be hilarious. It's definitely gonna be an invitational, but flying players in is out of the question so it's gonna be a boring invitational.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/ProtomCannon/status/1256338437931597825?s=20

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Get ready for Quarantine Quarrel 2020

Covid Conflict 2020
Remote Rumble 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Looks like skullgirls will finally get main stage since it will be one of the few games that handles international net play well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dias posted:

An online event featuring SF5 is gonna be hilarious. It's definitely gonna be an invitational, but flying players in is out of the question so it's gonna be a boring invitational.

My locals has been running online SFV tourneys every week I can't imagine how that's actually fun for anybody

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Looks like skullgirls will finally get main stage since it will be one of the few games that handles international net play well.

Excited for the big Killer Instinct resurgence personally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Good timing for the pony game, I guess.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MechaX posted:

"we’re going to try to have online tournaments” because the latter is going to end up being the biggest blow up for every fg dev involved

:hmmyes:

This needs to happen

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If they limited Evo to only current games with good online, would a single Japanese game make it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If they limited Evo to only current games with good online, would a single Japanese game make it?

It would be Skullgirls only and it would have a grand total of three entrants

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe america just needs to get better internet, and also have everyone live within two hours of each other.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In my professional opinion the only games a fighting game tournament needs are Skullgirls and Killer Instinct

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Puyo Puyo Tetris

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
The realest of the real know the only answer is Pong.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gologle posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris

doesnt even have spectator mode and the netcode is also atrocious

which i guess means it fits right into the fgc

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I’m having a hard time finding a lot of Last Blade 2 resources, so put the Steam version of that with the rollback beta in the lineup so i can learn some tech

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Most of animevo is just gonna be fine netplay-wise.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's our turn

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there a fighting game on PC that has a strong community at the moment? I'm really missing my old MK days and they've ruined the last two games with their loving character variations so I'm looking to get into something new

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

Is there a fighting game on PC that has a strong community at the moment? I'm really missing my old MK days and they've ruined the last two games with their loving character variations so I'm looking to get into something new

If you're just looking to grind matches online and easily find lobbies, your best best is probably:

SFV
Tekken 7 or
DBFZ

You'll be able to find matches at all hours of the day in any of those games. Which to pick is honestly up to you, but T7 is a solid recommendation if you're into 3D fighters. DBFZ is a lot of fun, but can get kind of same-y after you get sufficiently good. SFV has problems, but they've done a ton to fix it with the championship edition and I think it's fine now, even if I'm still not really that into playing it.

Outside of that, you can generally find some level of matches in other random fight games but you'll have to fairly often look for people on discord or something, especially when you start getting to the smaller but excellent games like UNICLR and such.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've been bouncing around characters in Granblue Fantasy Versus trying to find a main and gave Ladiva a shot tonight in some online matches.

I landed the first SPD I've ever successfully used against a resisting human opponent. Wow. Wooooow that's fun.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HerniaFlange posted:

The realest of the real know the only answer is Spot: the Video Game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Magical Drop 3 will seperate the children from the gamers

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

codo27 posted:

You're gonna have to qualify "strong" a bit here, but in general SG community is still holding things down well lately with more online tournies, more and more new players/communities and regular streams, ever-growing solid resources to help people get good at the game, etc. Check out the official SG discord which has like everything there.

That said, if your old memories of older MK days were from offline, then online communities can only remedy that so much, but it's still a much different experience.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, I played MK2 online for years like 2007-2011 or so? And MK9 too when that was big. I've only ever played anything else sparsely. 3D I feel like is a bit of a jump for me though I did have tekken when I first got my playstation

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MechaX posted:

I’m having a hard time finding a lot of Last Blade 2 resources, so put the Steam version of that with the rollback beta in the lineup so i can learn some tech

srk wiki- http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Last_Blade_2
dream cancel wiki (in the process of making this the primary resource hub)- https://www.dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php/The_Last_Blade_2
discord- https://discord.gg/mFGyNVW

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

codo27 posted:

No, I played MK2 online for years like 2007-2011 or so? And MK9 too when that was big. I've only ever played anything else sparsely. 3D I feel like is a bit of a jump for me though I did have tekken when I first got my playstation

Huh that's pretty interesting, was there a big online community for those older MKs? I never heard about them.

Also small point I wanted to add to my last post, but Sonicfox literally put out a character guide today for SG (as well as ragging GO1 to start playing SG), so that game is keeping up :v:

Really though, idk too many other FGs that are that similar to MK and imo it's usually best to just go with what's similar/familiar to you. KI might be more similar? Ironically, the only real MK player I know who's really gone on to other FGs is...Sonicfox, so yeah.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Marn to be shown playing on a deserted island with a lone palm tree for shade, EVO resumes as normal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ventana posted:

Huh that's pretty interesting, was there a big online community for those older MKs? I never heard about them.

I wouldn't call it big but there was a forum I was on that staged tournaments and such. I still recognize some of the names that used to be floating around in those days on PSN. I had to make a second account cause many people would not play me, I wasn't hardly the only one guilty of that

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Jiro posted:

Marn to be shown on a deserted island with a lone palm tree for shade, thinking about what he's done. The komodo dragon stuck on the island with him is closing in. He has to survive for 3 more days before help comes. He hopes the coconut launcher he built is enough to defend himself with until then.

e: I'm probably giving Marn way too much credit here, he'd probably survive by figuring out some weird way to get the komodo dragons to drown themselves or something.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 2, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my man

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
NEO TURF MASTERS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im way more into Palaois Turf Masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pomp posted:

Magical Drop 3 will seperate the children from the gamers

It'd be another game for Justin Wong to dominate at, he might seriously be the besd MD3 player in the world