Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My favorite thing about Jedi Fallen Order is that there’s a flashback wall running tutorial. If you fail, the Jedi master tells you “FASTER, MORE INTENSE!” Which is famously the only direction George Lucas would give people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Will do, I'll make a point of playing it.

Have you played either Persona 1 or Persona 2 - either Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment? Neither game has amazing gameplay, both have lots of dialogue and interesting plots, and they're part of what convinced me to pick it up - I know I'm down for the writer's brand of wackiness and I'm willing to put up with jrpg nonsense to get there.

e: Though nothing in Caligula will ever top sunglasses hitler being a major boss. Innocent Sin is such a masterpiece of a game.

Huge fan of both P2: EP and IS. If Caligula's plot has at least some of that tone and some of those surprises, I could churn through some repetitive nonsense combat for those highs and lows.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I paid full price for Fallen Order and imo it was completely worth it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fuligin posted:

Gladius is quite good.

It's a pretty decent bundle in general, with a few more obscure things that are reasonably well-reviewed without ever having been dollar-tier discounts in the past. I have most of the better things in it, but I can't see how this is a bad haul for $13 at all.

edit- Niche is a really cool and unique little game, btw

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Bought Streets of Rage 4, I grew up playing Streets of Rage, and i want Streets of Rage, so i got Streets of Rage.

Beat it on normal. Love the music, love the violence, i hate the grenade ladies that show up only like three times.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody wanna talk about the hot game that was hidden from us on Humble Bundle if you stayed subscribed till may?

Train Valley 2?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anybody wanna talk about the hot game that was hidden from us on Humble Bundle if you stayed subscribed till may?

Train Valley 2?

The game that was simply given that no one had to choo-choose?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yep, and decommissioning one is like -50,000 demon points. And you don't have to build one yourself. You can steal one from an FOB (may not be that easy to do these days). But the only thing that gives you mega-demon points is something you can undo immediately.

you absolutely could not negate building a nuke just from dismantling a single nuke. it was the fastest way to do it but it was like, -100 points. so the idea was you had to keep stealing other people's nukes and decomissioning them.

edit: just googed it up:

quote:

Earning Demon Points
+20 - Fail the Fulton extraction of an animal.
+20 - Kill an animal.
+30 - Critically wound an enemy soldier.
+40 - Kill an animal using fire damage.
+60 - Fail the Fulton extraction of an enemy soldier.
+60 - Kill an enemy soldier.
+60 - Lose a Diamond Dogs staff member held hostage by aborting mission 22 (+60 each).
+75 - Destroy D-Walker.
+90 - Kill a Diamond Dogs staff member held hostage.
+100 - Kill a prisoner.
+120 - Kill a critically wounded enemy soldier.
+120 - Kill an enemy soldier using fire damage.
+150 - Destroy a support helicopter.
+150 - Critically wound D-Dog, D-Horse or Quiet.
+180 - Kill a Diamond Dogs staff member.
+180 - Kill a Diamond Dogs staff member held hostage using fire damage.
+200 - Kill a prisoner using fire damage.
+50,000 - Develop a nuclear weapon.
Removing Demon Points
-30 - Fulton extract a common animal, puppet soldier, or Parasite Unit member.
-60 - Fulton extract a rare animal, Diamond Dogs staff member, or a prisoner.
-60 - Extract a puppet soldier, a critically wounded enemy, or Quiet via helicopter.
-120 - Fulton extract a very rare animal, an extremely rare animal, or a child soldier.
-120 - Extract a VIP, a prisoner, or a Diamond Dogs staff member via helicopter.
-240 - Extract a child soldier via helicopter.
-300 - Visit the Animal Conservation Platform.
-1,000 - Dispose of a nuclear weapon.
-1,000 - Earn the "Cry Havoc" or "Speechless" trophy.
-5,000 - Earn the "Cleared", "Trusty Steed", "Man's Best Friend", "War Buddy", or "Reminiscence" trophy.
-10,000 - Earn the "Conservation" trophy.
-30,000 - Dispose of ten nuclear weapons.

so if you dismantle ten (10) nuclear weapons that's 40,000 (1,000 each plus 30,000 bonus) compared to the 50,000 for building one nuke

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 2, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

but additionally the other person who mentioned the refugee missions that got patched in wasn't lying:

quote:

A special Combat Deployment mission was added into the Combat Deployment mission menu called, "REFUGEE RESCUE". It requires SIX DAYS & EIGHT HOURS to complete and only gives a monetary prize of TEN GMP. The Refugee Rescue mission actually acts a secret way to banish the Demon Snake look FOREVER. Once the mission is completed, start another mission/Side Op or return to Mother Base and Snake's appearance will revert automatically.
MISSION NOTE: DEMON ONLY! : This online mission only appears on the Combat Deployment menu if Snake has Demon status. If Snake is still in normal status, the mission will not be shown.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fargin Icehole posted:

Train Valley 2?

oh hey, nearly missed this. Thanks. Train puzzler will go nicely in my library for a time when I'm willing to use my brain when playing games.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

All I see is gold stars, none of the good old red and black. Looks like some revisionist trot poo poo to me :colbert:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Cowcaster posted:

you absolutely could not negate building a nuke just from dismantling a single nuke. it was the fastest way to do it but it was like, -100 points. so the idea was you had to keep stealing other people's nukes and decomissioning them.

edit: just googed it up:

so if you dismantle ten (10) nuclear weapons that's 40,000 (1,000 each plus 30,000 bonus) compared to the 50,000 for building one nuke

I could have sworn I went from full horn bloody to back to normal just from dismantling one nuke.

Oh well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i also don't think you get demon points for stealing nukes, just developing one of your own, so it's very possible you just tipped over the threshold of your own volition and then breaking down a nuke slapped you back across the threshold by a large margin

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've never been wholly clear on where the good and bad parts of MGS5 begin and end. I liked Ground Zeroes well enough, though I didn't go quite so whole hog on repeated completions as some; I have Phantom Pain but got distracted by some other game before a Metal Gear?! even showed up, IIRC

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/9951/Katamari-Damacy-REROLL/

Katamari Damacy for 8$, which is the lowest I've ever seen it!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You can literally set The Man Who Sold The World as your theme song while your helicopter rains down bullets on your enemies

The good never ends and the bad never starts, that game was fire

Okay the bad starts somewhere in the plot if you actually try to make sense of it but who cares about that when you have a goddamn ROCKET ARM and a pet dog?!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/9951/Katamari-Damacy-REROLL/

Katamari Damacy for 8$, which is the lowest I've ever seen it!

Thanks for posting this, been waiting for it to drop under 10. I'll probably wait until my nephew comes over to play it though.

Johnny Truant posted:

You can literally set The Man Who Sold The World as your theme song while your helicopter rains down bullets on your enemies

The good never ends and the bad never starts, that game was fire

Okay the bad starts somewhere in the plot if you actually try to make sense of it but who cares about that when you have a goddamn ROCKET ARM and a pet dog?!

Its mandatory to spin the camera dramatically whenever that one lady sings WHOOOOAAAAAA HOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otaWQIcTodo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its mandatory to spin the camera dramatically whenever that one lady sings WHOOOOAAAAAA HOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otaWQIcTodo

:hai:

This cat gets it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exaggerated camera pans to frisson-inducing music is my jam, I will admit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Playing Katamari Damacy for the first time in like, ten years...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caligula Effect: while I enjoyed my first 49 minutes with it, holy poo poo you have to talk to EVERY NPC at least 3 times to hear unique dialogue from them, and that applies to literally all of them. Who thought this was a good idea?! :psyduck:

And there are so many of them. SO MANY. You have not even begun to make any progress in the talking-to-NPCs grind.

Memnaelar posted:

Huge fan of both P2: EP and IS. If Caligula's plot has at least some of that tone and some of those surprises, I could churn through some repetitive nonsense combat for those highs and lows.

Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no. It doesn't really get anywhere near there. It's more like a competent ensemble isekai anime.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Caligula Effect: from 92 minutes of play, I cannot recommend it (yet?). Like I'm enjoying it, but there are better jrpgs and you should get Digimon instead. Or play Persona 1 and 2 on the PSP (which I hear you can emulate nowadays). I'll speak up if this changes. One niggle: you can't save anywhere, you have to find a save spot. Whyyyy. Why is this not convenient! Compare/contrast with...

Digimon Cyber Sleuth: 3 hours in, and I'm working on smaller investigative cases and getting wide-eyed at how huge the evolution chains for these Digimon are! It continues to feel smooth and fun to play, and I love how it has a save anywhere/load anywhere feature, BUT going to the Digi-Center area where you can heal / check your Farm / evolve your digimon requires finding a terminal, which means it's super exciting to find them! I don't memorize levels so I get hyped to go in and see if anyone can evolve, and this early in the game with 10+ monsters they usually are ready to evolve, and it's exciting literally every time.

I also didn't Katamari much because Ace Combat!

Ace Combat 7: god this is so pretty. And fun, I'm finally clicking with the controls and it feels awesome blowing things up. But oh my god it's so pretty:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Metal Gear Solid 5 could have been the best stealth game of all time, head and shoulders above everything else... if not for a few really bad design decisions that totally destroy the late game.

The game is, however, absolutely excellent for the first 15 or 20 hours... then goes straight to poo poo after that. You realize both maps are boring and awful, getting new items takes a Korean MMO grind, and you have to pay for every single thing, every single time you get out of your helicopter, with money that isn't easy to come by.

Also, and this is pretty telling, the base in Ground Zeroes is BY FAR the best stealth area in both games. Nothing in MGS5 touches it. Actually I think the perfect Stealth game would probably look a lot like Ground Zeroes but you can use all of MGS5's gadgets and tricks. MGS5 would have been way better if it was just a series of individual levels/areas/bases like in Ground Zeroes you could just play forever, actually.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 2, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Digimon Cyber Sleuth: 3 hours in, and I'm working on smaller investigative cases and getting wide-eyed at how huge the evolution chains for these Digimon are!
I believe the evolution tree is so big, you can in fact get from any mon to any other mon with enough work.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5 could have been the best stealth game of all time, head and shoulders above everything else... if not for a few really bad design decisions that totally destroy the late game.

The game is, however, absolutely excellent for the first 15 or 20 hours... then goes straight to poo poo after that. You realize both maps are boring and awful, getting new items takes a Korean MMO grind, and you have to pay for every single thing, every single time you get out of your helicopter, with money that isn't easy to come by.

Also, and this is pretty telling, the base in Ground Zeroes is BY FAR the best stealth area in both games. Nothing in MGS5 touches it. Actually I think the perfect Stealth game would probably look a lot like Ground Zeroes but you can use all of MGS5's gadgets and tricks. MGS5 would have been way better if it was just a series of individual levels/areas/bases like in Ground Zeroes you could just play forever, actually.

nah

i was rich as poo poo in MGSV

Zereth posted:

I believe the evolution tree is so big, you can in fact get from any mon to any other mon with enough work.

i'm picturing a drawing like the timeline in Primer for this evolution tree :psyduck:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Little Nightmares and I had to put some (a lot of) words down to recommend it.

A kind of side-scrolling stealth horror puzzle platformer, Nightmares has you guiding an undersized kid – Six – through a strange and increasingly unnerving structure known as The Maw, trying to escape while dodging its bizarre inhabitants.

Nightmares builds tension through unsettling vibes and a small and helpless main character – practically no gore or (undeserved) jump scares, and virtually nothing that might be considered combat. Instead, you’re trading between climbing, careful sneaking and the occasional mad dash once discovered. The visuals are where the game really shines; it's got a grotesque and surreal, almost claymation style, with an Edward Gorey bent. The whole thing is packed full of quasi-Edwardian gothic detail, and the towering, crooked furniture helps to reinforce your vulnerability. The sound design also deserves a gold star for its very effective restraint, eerily complementing cinematic scenes but backing off when sneaking to maximise the anxiety in every creaky floorboard.

Six’s story has no dialogue or overt exposition, with the narrative revealed through a very effective showing not telling. While definitely not suitable for kids, it is merciful in actual content – the game strongly hints towards dark deeds, but (for instance) fades to black when you’re caught by one of the denizens of The Maw, leaving you to imagine Six’s fate instead. There is a slight TW for suicide as you pass under the feet of a hanging figure in an early scene, which seems… out of place and unnecessary, as it’s not referenced again.

The controls are where Nightmares runs into a bit of trouble; Six handles a little slowly, and the 2.5D / ‘dollhouse’ angle means you can sometimes completely miss a jump when you turn out to be closer or further from the camera than you expected. I think it works overall, as this isn’t exactly Super Meat Boy, but I can see where some players might get frustrated by ‘undeserved’ deaths (especially combined with the checkpoint system). Your very limited tools also mean the puzzles are usually relatively simple, and can get a little repetitive.

Nightmares is also not a long game – I spent a pretty leisurely three to four hours with the main story, but there’s an achievement for completing the game in less than an hour with zero deaths. Even if you accomplished this on your first try, you’d be cheating yourself out of seeing all the weird and creepy details Nightmares has to show, as well as some admirably hidden collectables. The short length might be a point in the game’s favour though, as it’s a linear but efficient story. There’s little replay value, but the DLC is just as long as the main game, has some great new puzzles for the same limited toolset, and expands the story of The Maw while fitting nicely into the original narrative.

Minor issues notwithstanding, Little Nightmares is a gem that seems to have flown under the radar a bit. It’s atmospheric, engrossing game with a lot to offer despite some rough edges. I’m thoroughly looking forward to the sequel.

E: Oh and it's currently on sale too!

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 2, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
so is it like inside but good?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played Inside, but Little Nightmares is definitely spiritually similar to Limbo (which I also enjoyed but not nearly as much).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Another thing about MGS5.

The story is completely bonkers in a bad way. It's just monkey cheese random and completely stupid. For example there are multiple hours of an old guy doing a monologue about stuff like the made-up scientific process of how Kojima's idiotic rust bacteria works... and how to make the perfect hamburger. It's seriously a gigantic waste of time.

The actual plot itself makes less than zero sense in an effort to be cool and mysterious, but it's just stupid and pointless. Everything exists for the Rule of Cool. If you have to play it, just ignore it all and concentrate on getting more toys for your GIJoe main character.

Also your base seems like it will be cool at first but it also just sucks and is a giant waste of time that serves zero practical benefit. Everything it gives you might as well just exist in a menu. Oh and if you want to visit more than the empty main hub, get ready for an unskippable multi-minute cutscene every time you travel from one part of your base to another.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 2, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

GreatGreen posted:

The story is completely bonkers in a bad way. It's just monkey cheese random and completely stupid. For example there are multiple hours of an old guy doing a monologue about stuff like the made-up scientific process of how Kojima's idiotic rust bacteria works... and how to make the perfect hamburger. It's seriously a gigantic waste of time.
The hamburger stuff is good though. Although, I mostly agree with what you are saying. Also, the fact that there is an act II for the game, but it actually doesn't have much new content in it, and most of it is spoiled by the in-game teaser.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Reminder that GreatGreen was the guy who spent kind of a while in the Dark Souls thread complaining about the way Dark Souls checkpoints worked and how they were unforgivably bad game design.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Reminder that GreatGreen was the guy who spent kind of a while in the Dark Souls thread complaining about the way Dark Souls checkpoints worked and how they were unforgivably bad game design.

They are bullshit though. Having to run to a boss through a good chunk of a level makes it drat difficult to learn a boss, and it's a waste of time.

e: Hollow Knight has the same problem. Making the run to the Mantis Lords helped kill my will to continue.

Nioh doesn't, as you're usually parked twenty seconds from the boss. That is honestly why I got as far into it as I did.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 2, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
MGS V could have been the best stealth game of all time if it wasn't 1/3rd of a game copy pasted twice over and with the ending snipped off.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

GreatGreen posted:

The actual plot itself makes less than zero sense in an effort to be cool and mysterious, but it's just stupid and pointless. Everything exists for the Rule of Cool. If you have to play it, just ignore it all and concentrate on getting more toys for your GIJoe main character.

These are all good things and a staple of the series.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Also your base seems like it will be cool at first but it also just sucks and is a giant waste of time that serves zero practical benefit. Everything it gives you might as well just exist in a menu. Oh and if you want to visit more than the empty main hub, get ready for an unskippable multi-minute cutscene every time you travel from one part of your base to another.

We get it homie, you have bad opinions, no need to drive it home so many times

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ace Combat 7: god this is so pretty. And fun, I'm finally clicking with the controls and it feels awesome blowing things up. But oh my god it's so pretty:

I have a low tolerance for Anime bullshit, is there enough here to enjoy if I just skip all the cutscenes to get to the shootin?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

explosivo posted:

I have a low tolerance for Anime bullshit, is there enough here to enjoy if I just skip all the cutscenes to get to the shootin?

There's cutscenes, but they aren't really anime, just melodramatic and overwrought. But they are all skippable. Game fuckin rules.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A Proper Uppercut posted:

There's cutscenes, but they aren't really anime, just melodramatic and overwrought. But they are all skippable. Game fuckin rules.

Good enough for me, thanks!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I put down about 400 hours on MGSV, I'm gay for Metal Gear Solid and i was wanting this game since it was annouced, especially at the prospect of Ground Zeroes multiplied by huge number.

On the topic of the appearance change. There is a hidden demon point score system that increases or decreases depending on what you do. There's three stages. Best is having the helicopter shrapnel piece in your forehead look okay, the changes start when your shrapnel protrudes into a demon horn, but everything else looks okay.

Killing guards gives you a little bit of a negative score, but wounding them and leaving them to die nets you a worse score. The game gives you an incentive to rescuing animals, so Killing innocent animals nets you a fair amount. The biggest mentioned before is having your private army create a loving nuke, which gives you enough of a negative score, it will turn you into a demon.

The Demon snake always has you covered in blood no matter what. You leave bloody footprints on the floor, which can attract guards, and each cutscene is basically Big Boss that just went through some horrible poo poo.

If you want to look normal again, and you have a PC, you can probably change a value in the save and be okay. Normally what you do is, you get an idle mission that takes up a majority of your best men that you recruited on a suicide mission, which acts as a PR stunt to make you look good, and it reverts your score.

If you're going through the game, you need to be a real son of a bitch and spend a lot of time redoing missions to kill people. This is only a thing that comes up way past endgame.

This game is definitely worth 4 bucks. I got my money's worth at full price, even if you consider how incomplete it is and the infighting that led to Kojima leaving and then making Death Stranding 4 years after all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah just skip the Ace Combat cutscenes. Even as someone who likes its special brand of self-colonoscopy it's not worth your time if you just wanna shoot planes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They are bullshit though. Having to run to a boss through a good chunk of a level makes it drat difficult to learn a boss, and it's a waste of time.

e: Hollow Knight has the same problem. Making the run to the Mantis Lords helped kill my will to continue.

Nioh doesn't, as you're usually parked twenty seconds from the boss. That is honestly why I got as far into it as I did.

There are certainly some bonfires across the games that are extremely rough but I don't think most of them are really that bad even for learning the boss. That said I am far, far past being able to have an unbiased opinion on Fromsoft's modern RPGs given how much time I put into them so I could certainly see that being a full stop issue for someone. GreatGreen however wanted to change basically everything that made Dark Souls Dark Souls and would not let it go so it stuck with me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 2, 2020