Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
plain mild dish detergent like dawn is fine

edit: i don't really understand engine bay people because that poo poo just gets dirty again and you aint lookin at it. as long as you're cleaning off mass dirt and grease i don't see the point in perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Megs APC 4:1, a pressure washer, and armor all tire foam or equivalent are my go to's. Maybe a light scrubbing with a soft wheel brush if it's really grody in there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

plain mild dish detergent like dawn is fine

edit: i don't really understand engine bay people because that poo poo just gets dirty again and you aint lookin at it. as long as you're cleaning off mass dirt and grease i don't see the point in perfection.

Nice to have clean stuff. I cleaned and protected the wheel wells. Probably makes more sense than the engine bay to be honest as it's actually a place that sees salt and poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nice to have clean stuff. I cleaned and protected the wheel wells. Probably makes more sense than the engine bay to be honest as it's actually a place that sees salt and poo poo.

right exactly, that's useful

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For whatever its worth, when I used to be a detailer at a GM dealer, I used to just spray degreaser on the engine brush it for a few minutes, and spray it off with a regular garden hose and nozzle . I'd do my best to avoid completely soaking the alternator/fuse boxes etc.. but I wouldn't spare the water either when rinsing.

Perhaps it was the confidence of having the dealer service department to fall back on, but I never got worried about the car not starting or check engine lights coming on. Even if it happened, which was maybe only once or twice I'd probably just be all "yeah, I dunno what happened, CEL just came on when I drove it out of the wash bay". These were 1990s GM products after all....

But when doing my, or other people's cars, I always had a nagging suspicion of "omg what if the fuckin light comes on or it doesn't start"? It happened to my old Mazda the one time that I sprayed the engine it wouldn't start afterwards. I ended up taking a wet dry vac and sucking a bunch of water out of a bunch of poo poo, and it started working again. Another time on my brother's car, the check engine light came on and of course "I broke his car".........

God I hate dirty cars, but I also hate cleaning them. Being a detailer was the worst job I ever had. Probably because I was awful at it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

right exactly, that's useful

Yeah but I must have looked nuts to anyone who saw me...
To be fair though, if not too dirty from the start the engine takes like 5 minutes to clean once or twice a year.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My advice would be to take the car for a good rip after rinsing the engine bay, to shake out any standing water and help it evaporate faster. Other than avoiding dousing the alternator I generally just go for it, anything modern has weathertight electrical connectors and fuse boxes. This is with just a garden hose, pressure washing is a bit more precarious.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
If you run into a problem putting water on your engine, then something isn't sealing right and you found yourself a lil project.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have been experimenting with stuff I have and I have also been leery of using water on engine bays but....

One of those kids with supercar channels on youtube this kid swears by scrubbing bubbles for engine bays and i had some under the sink...and i have to tell you, i have just used it lightly and i have been very impressed.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I thought diluted Simple Green was the pretty much standard engine bay degreaser.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

everdave posted:

I have been experimenting with stuff I have and I have also been leery of using water on engine bays but....

One of those kids with supercar channels on youtube this kid swears by scrubbing bubbles for engine bays and i had some under the sink...and i have to tell you, i have just used it lightly and i have been very impressed.

That makes me twitch a little. I'm always concerned about accelerated aging (brittleness leading to cracking) of plastics due to cleaners and it seems like a bathroom cleaner might be a little dicey.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TacoHavoc posted:

That makes me twitch a little. I'm always concerned about accelerated aging (brittleness leading to cracking) of plastics due to cleaners and it seems like a bathroom cleaner might be a little dicey.

:agreed:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Totally see your point and I am not aware and concerned, but I did a light mist and immediately wiped off hoses and things. Definitely didn't do a soak and leave on plastics or rubber.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I put a light coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond on my car a few weeks ago, I think around 3 weeks. I wanted to try out some Collinite 845 with a coat of P&S beadmaker, but first I was going to use my iron decontamination spray and claybar it. Should I try to remove the wet diamond with IPA or something before doing all this, or not even bother?

The wet diamond is many, many years old, if that makes a difference. Not sure if they changed their product at all.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Here's a dumb loving question: I really don't like dealing with autogeek and i hate their customer service and I'm trying my best not to give Jeff B any more of my money. Where else should I be getting my car care products?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/home.asp

I'm kinda biased because I can do local pickup, but they've always done me well.

The detailers club discounts are DEEP, but the catch there is you have to pay full price for shipping when you are a member. Still though, you can easily get membership paid back in one order of you are buying some of the pricier bulk chemicals.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 2, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have no idea if they're still the same company or still good, but autopia was big back when I was more into detailing ~10 years ago

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Arson Daily posted:

Here's a dumb loving question: I really don't like dealing with autogeek and i hate their customer service and I'm trying my best not to give Jeff B any more of my money. Where else should I be getting my car care products?

I'm happy with detailing.com. Not a lot of reviews on their products, but stuff is always in stock.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

I have no idea if they're still the same company or still good, but autopia was big back when I was more into detailing ~10 years ago

They got bought by PBMG (owner of Autogeek, "Max" AKA Robert McKee of McKee's 37) several years ago, who then sold PBMG to someone else. If I remember correctly at that time the Autopia forum and store were split - the store was owned by PBMG but the forum was owned by 3D/HD and was later also bought by PBMG.

Autoality is my usual go to retailer if I can't get it on Amazon depending on prices/shipping.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm happy with detailing.com. Not a lot of reviews on their products, but stuff is always in stock.
I'll second this. They carry a good range of decent brands and people in the physical store are super helpful. Sales are a 10-15% discount around major holidays.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone know of any places with a discount going on? I just got a car I like and was wanting to get a 2 bucket car wash kit or something like it

E: Or alternatively a decently priced place to piecemeal together one, chemical guys buckets and grit screens seem overpriced for what they are

DoubleT2172 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 2, 2020

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I use 3 ace hardware buckets with detailing.com grit guards in two of them (third for wheels/tires). But the grit guards are same price as the chemical guys ones. 2 buckets, 2 guards and a mitt will probably run you 45 dollars anywhere.

Throw in 3 or 4 bottles of stuff and you're up to 80-90 bucks. Plus microfiber towels adds another 20ish bucks. Frankly, I'd definitely add in clay plus lube if you're doing any sort of polish.

I've had good experience with both detailing.com and chemical guys physical stores and online customer service.

I get why chemical guys gets the hate. They are like the Sam Adams of car care. But I've always had positive experiences in their stores.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I'm thinking about painting my wheels, is this about what I'd need?

Sand or media blast first then

HF HVLP sprayer
Epoxy primer
Optional metallic basecoat
Urethane basecoat, ie for shimrin2 that'd be the base plus color plus fx plus reducer
Urethane clear coat

How many oz am I looking at for 4 wheels?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 4, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Two weeks ago I did just the hood, front fascia, and front quarter panels of my SUV with Collinite 845 and a coat of Beadmaker the next day, since then it's been parked outside plus I drove through the mountains and hit tons of bugs. I was able to clean the front yesterday by just spraying it with a jet nozzle on the hose, a little bit of quick detailer and a towel for some of the bug guts, and the water beaded up so well I could dry it solely by using a leaf blower. I was so impressed I finished cleaning and claying the rest of the car, then applied Collinite 845 all over the rest of the car. This is what I imagine having a ceramic coating to be like, I'll see what I think next weekend but I think I'll be able to do a quick 10 minute hose + leaf blower wash and get the car 95% clean.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MomJeans420 posted:

Two weeks ago I did just the hood, front fascia, and front quarter panels of my SUV with Collinite 845 and a coat of Beadmaker the next day, since then it's been parked outside plus I drove through the mountains and hit tons of bugs. I was able to clean the front yesterday by just spraying it with a jet nozzle on the hose, a little bit of quick detailer and a towel for some of the bug guts, and the water beaded up so well I could dry it solely by using a leaf blower. I was so impressed I finished cleaning and claying the rest of the car, then applied Collinite 845 all over the rest of the car. This is what I imagine having a ceramic coating to be like, I'll see what I think next weekend but I think I'll be able to do a quick 10 minute hose + leaf blower wash and get the car 95% clean.

Collinite holds up for months. 6th months or more in Florida parked outside but under a carport. It's super great.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Old school combo is Jescar Powerlock and then Collonite 845 on to of it for added longevity.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If I could get 4 months out of it I'd be pretty happy, 6 months in Florida is pretty good. I'll see how many of the easy to clean and dry properties were from Collinite versus the Beadmaker, but it may have filled my use case of "I'd really to ceramic coat my car but I don't have time to polish it right now, so I need the next best thing."

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hail, auto goons. Would love a little advice here

Just purchased a 2006 Lexus GX470. It has a clear, protective film across the front of the hood, the front bumper, the side rear view mirrors, and other areas that receive some wear and tear with highway travel. It seems like a lot of Lexus owners were sold these as both cars I saw had the same wraps on them.

It’s getting a little old and dirty. Think it may be time to pull it off.

I’ve seen that they can generally be removed with a heat gun, adhesive remover, and plastic scraper. Is this a recommended DIY job? Would obviously hate to scratch up the paint in the process and turn it into a much more expensive deal.

Also, the headlights look like they also have this protective film, but I can’t find the seam. Is it possible they are wrapped? It seems I can scratch the surface of the headlights with a fingernail so I’m pretty sure it’s a protective layer as the actual covers wouldn’t scratch so easy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My Fiance's TTS windshield got destroyed by a big rock on the freeway a few weeks ago, and she's getting a new one installed tomorrow, assuming Safelite actually shows up.

I am very tempted to apply one of those ceramic glass coatings. Should I order the Gtechniq windshield/glass ceramic coating or is there something else out there that is better or cheaper or easier to apply with a very long lifespan?

I have been meaning to replace the windshield on my Mazdaspeed3 so if the Gtechniq or other kit can do more than one windshield and isn't impossible to apply on new glass, I won't feel bad splitting the cost between two+ cars.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I went with, but haven't applied yet, the CarPro Forte line. Don't know if it's cheaper, but it got good reviews and performed well. I'm putting CarPro ceramic coating on as soon as the weather is a bit more predictable so I decided to keep it in the Ecosystem.

Also, I'm both glad and annoyed at having stone chips already on a car that's 5 months old. I keep maximum distance and take every precaution. But in the end it's a daily driver that I couldn't justify putting thousands of $ of PPF on so yeah. Better to "let it go" than keep worrying.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

hobbez posted:

Hail, auto goons. Would love a little advice here

Just purchased a 2006 Lexus GX470. It has a clear, protective film across the front of the hood, the front bumper, the side rear view mirrors, and other areas that receive some wear and tear with highway travel. It seems like a lot of Lexus owners were sold these as both cars I saw had the same wraps on them.

It’s getting a little old and dirty. Think it may be time to pull it off.

I’ve seen that they can generally be removed with a heat gun, adhesive remover, and plastic scraper. Is this a recommended DIY job? Would obviously hate to scratch up the paint in the process and turn it into a much more expensive deal.

Also, the headlights look like they also have this protective film, but I can’t find the seam. Is it possible they are wrapped? It seems I can scratch the surface of the headlights with a fingernail so I’m pretty sure it’s a protective layer as the actual covers wouldn’t scratch so easy.

I removed my film from my 08 ISF myself. I used a steamer from harbor freight. Once you pull up a corner, the steam gets behind the film and it pulls up pretty easy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been meaning to polish my black car since I got it almost two years ago, then recently I let water spots sit on it with no wax so I had to break out the polisher. I used ultimate compound with an orange Lake Country pad, it did a pretty good job but I still have this weird "stain" (this is taken from the passenger side, looking towards the front of the car. the stain is on the quarter panel):

My pads were looking a little tired so I just ordered more yellow, orange, and green pads, but I'm thinking I should probably try hitting that with 105 and a yellow pad? And then follow up with 205 on a green pad I'm guessing.

I also noticed something I haven't seen before when I've been polishing, the other quarter panel had what I'd call ghosting, but without looking that term up to see if that's not something different. Kind of hard to explain, but it was like seeing spider webs / haze, but as you'd change angles they would completely disappear. Maybe the pad was too dirty by that panel, or maybe I need to follow up with something finer.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sounds like it could be compound haze that you need to polish out.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Got the new windshield installed on the TTS yesterday from Safelite. The glass has the Audi stamps so definitely got an OEM windshield. I also just ordered the Gtechniq G1/2 so I'll be trying out application of that soon. Wish me luck

What should I do as far as prepping installation on a brand new windshield. It won't need any polishing. Do I just need to do an IPA wipe or something?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MetaJew posted:

Got the new windshield installed on the TTS yesterday from Safelite. The glass has the Audi stamps so definitely got an OEM windshield. I also just ordered the Gtechniq G1/2 so I'll be trying out application of that soon. Wish me luck

What should I do as far as prepping installation on a brand new windshield. It won't need any polishing. Do I just need to do an IPA wipe or something?

I'd get something stronger than IPA like a panel wipe IPA is good, but won't remove (as well) any greasy crap that's there is. I bought something called UPOL panel wipe, which is euro based, but used as panel wipe before painting cars etc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrOnBicycle posted:

Old school combo is Jescar Powerlock and then Collonite 845 on to of it for added longevity.

This is what I use now. Is there a "better" alternative?

One thing I've been thinking about is getting my car ceramic coated. I spent a decent amount of money getting a good local place doing paint correction/replacing the PPF on my car back in February. I've seen a bunch of places advertising putting on ceramic coating, but is this something I can DIY for significantly cheaper? Any recommendations?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Look at my posts in this thread and you'll find a link to the stuff on AliExpress that most of us have gotten at some point.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Residency Evil posted:

This is what I use now. Is there a "better" alternative?

One thing I've been thinking about is getting my car ceramic coated. I spent a decent amount of money getting a good local place doing paint correction/replacing the PPF on my car back in February. I've seen a bunch of places advertising putting on ceramic coating, but is this something I can DIY for significantly cheaper? Any recommendations?

If you don't care about polishing the car before, you can just clean the car properly and apply the ceramic coating. The main cost of applying the coatings is the hours it takes to polish. There are also "light versions" like Carpro Cquartz Lite that won't last as long, but also aren't something that will need polishing to get off. The AliExpress stuff is super cheap and works fine. I personally won't be using it as I don't think the name brands are that much more expensive and I know what I'm getting.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thinking (again) about doing some swirl removal on the GTI. I put on some Wolfgang's sealant last year that seems to still be going strong, what's the process for getting it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

a mysterious cloak posted:

Thinking (again) about doing some swirl removal on the GTI. I put on some Wolfgang's sealant last year that seems to still be going strong, what's the process for getting it off?

Some paint surface prep should remove it easily. I think it might be UK/Euro only, but I have used Upol system 20 degreaser to prep for putting on coatings etc. Works well and is very well regarded in the UK detailing community.