Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This thing doesn't launch for me on Game Pass PC. It launches a black window and attempts to run but then gives up 20-30 seconds later.

Drivers are up to date. Not really sure what is going on. Other games on Game Pass work as usual but this one is having some kind of issue. Hope there's a patch soon to fix it because there are several reviews on game pass mentioning the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jolo posted:

This thing doesn't launch for me on Game Pass PC. It launches a black window and attempts to run but then gives up 20-30 seconds later.

Drivers are up to date. Not really sure what is going on. Other games on Game Pass work as usual but this one is having some kind of issue. Hope there's a patch soon to fix it because there are several reviews on game pass mentioning the same problem.

Do you have a VPN? It was said upthread that VPNs were giving Gamepass PC owners trouble.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DLC Inc posted:

funny thing is I had to get used to how Cherry's attacks go + some delay on her specials. Axel felt more grounded and predictable with how his attacks hit for me + I like his air special/defensive whirl. Maybe it's my imagination (probably is) but I felt I took a little more damage as Cherry.

You probably do. It was like that for Skate in SoR3 IIRC. I think all of the characters have something they do a bit better (Cherry has her speed, Blaze the air attacks/specials seem a bit better, Axle seems to have the best ground attack string, Floyd is the grappler) and something that's a bit worse (Axle doesn't have mad ups, Cherry has lower health, Floyd is slower, I think Blaze may have weaker grappling) with Adam being the middle of the road at everything.

I'm really liking this roster though, everyone plays similarly enough that you can jump between characters easily but it's just different enough to be flavorful. It does seem like there's a hell of a lot of depth to it despite there not being a lot of controls or things to wrap your head around.

Hitstun immunity on bosses for seemingly no reason can gently caress right off though. That's my one major nitpick and it makes bosses like Max and the ch 4 guy kind of poo poo.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I take it streets of rage 1-3 aren't secret unlockables in this or anything? Playing this is just giving me a hankering for more and i don't think they're on the switch.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do you have a VPN? It was said upthread that VPNs were giving Gamepass PC owners trouble.

No VPN. I checked through the network adapters just to make sure there wasn't anything funky in there.

Oddly enough it actually launched this time when I tried. It popped up the same pre game window but actually launched this time. I dunno what the obstruction was. It's odd.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Kin posted:

I take it streets of rage 1-3 aren't secret unlockables in this or anything? Playing this is just giving me a hankering for more and i don't think they're on the switch.

They are in the Sega Genesis Classics on Switch though!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kin posted:

The only option currently available to play SOR 1-3 on the Switch is via the Sega Genesis Classics compilation. I'm not sure what the emulation quality of that collection is like, but then again, I'm so picky about the quality and accuracy of Genesis/Mega Drive emulation that I still use actual hardware and a CRT TV to play those games.

I mean they probably play fine for most folks.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 1, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you have a 3DS I heard that the SoR2 port on there is pretty brilliant.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Yeah, the "3D Classics" releases of both SoR1 & 2 are definitely worth picking up, more so if you can handle having the 3d on.

Also got it yesterday, beat it using Axel all the way through on Normal. There's definitely a couple of spots where I game over'd, specifically Estel1, as well as Stage 12 in general, but for the most part I found it rough but doable. Definitely agree that the bosses have way too many super armor moves, especially the Commish. Like, if I throw out a 15+hit combo, including an F-Special and hit with everything, I would like to not immediately get punished by being thrown into the wall 3 times in a row, thanks.

At the same time, I think a dodge-roll button (like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter) would go a huge way to making it faster, both movement and combat. Adam's little forward dash is neat, but I just wish I could tap a shoulder button and do that instead of mashing my d-pad all the time. Minor nitpicks, though, as overall I liked it as a new entry into the series.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I'd like the opportunity to replay earlier levels in story mode so I can play around with what I've learnt, but I really don't get why the Steam forums (I know, I know) are so down on this game. Play the game and learn the tricks! Even SoR2 had this with, for instance, Blaze being Queen Stabby, and Max's chip damage is nuts with the right enemy, and so on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

If you have a 3DS I heard that the SoR2 port on there is pretty brilliant.

In my mind the 3ds release of SoR2 is the definitive version. It’s so good

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
How many of you fine folks are using the legacy controls? As I think the menu calls them.

It felt really alien to me having to press a separate button to pick things up with the standard controls, that and throwing enemies in the manner I wanted always seemed to end up with me just harmlessly vaulting them, so I switched to legacy and found things slightly better but I question if I am somewhat gimping myself given how Normal in this game feels like Hardest+ from the originals :D.

I'd rather fight two O.G. R. Bears at once than SoR4 Barbon again :<

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The slow walking speed of Axel and Blaze really hurt them, especially now that you can no longer special out of getting comboed this time around.

Also, gently caress that train stage. Thank God it was super short.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The PC version updated today

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791465418481/announcements/detail/2215152154591067114

Looks like maybe it will fix the crashing for those of you experiencing it?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 2, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

blackguy32 posted:

The most irritating thing about this game is just how many bosses have or use super armor in some way

It just drags out the fights so much... ugh.

Artelier posted:

The worst enemy for me are the short mohawk people because MY GOD that dash attack hitbox's huge. Like I've lost most of my lives to them

That one room in level 6 with them is why I had so much trouble on the level. Then it was on level 10 that I noticed jump kicks seem to have higher hit priority for stopping them. I hope it wasn't a fluke last night...

Just the last stage left if I read the thread right. Soon today I'll wrap up on normal.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Maybe it's too early to ask; how do the classic characters work with the new systems? Are they just a looks swap, or are they different?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I just wrapped up my first playthrough as Axel, I really dig this game and don't mind the lack of a dash so far, though I am excited to play as the other characters to see how they fight. I got one Game Over on the Sky Train level last night, but I was pretty hammered and when I picked it up again today I breezed through the rest of the game. I got pretty close to dying on the final boss though.

Overall I think this game is pretty incredible; it reminds me of DooM 2016 in that it feels like it's from a parallel universe where this genre never really died out and they continued to evolve the formula in a way that makes sense in 2020. I would recommend to anyone who likes this game to check out Streets of Fury EX, the previous game from one of the developers of this one, Guard Crush Games. It's lane-based, which isn't my cup of tea, but these weirdos clearly have a real love of the genre and understand what makes it fun beyond just punching people (i.e. the little intangibles like hit-pause etc). I was super on board with SoR4 when I heard that they'd be a part of the project, and it makes me happy to know that they got to work on the revival of one of their big inspirations. It feels like a really excellent cover band that gets to tour with a legendary classic act.

One other game for people who want a good modern beat-em-up with a lot of depth is Fight 'n Rage. It nails the same jazzy, improvisational combo style that SoR has going for it, and while it's very satisfying to play from the beginning, there is a high skill ceiling and it's very fun to juggle/wall bounce enemies from regular combos to throws to specials, etc.

Bloodly posted:

Maybe it's too early to ask; how do the classic characters work with the new systems? Are they just a looks swap, or are they different?

They play exactly the same as in their games. SoR1 Axel is very powerful due to his fast and strong 4 hit combo, though he obviously has no access to blitz moves.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 2, 2020

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
They play exactly how they did in the game they came from. For example, the SOR1 characters only have the bazooka cop as a special move.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bloodly posted:

They are quite different, generally ports of their characters from old systems. SoR1 characters hit like a truck with their normals but have a tiny toolbox, SoR2 characters are more fully featured and have very short attack animations that let them get some sick combos. In some ways they feel like what SoR4 characters should be. SoR3 characters have very good movement with dash and dodge roll.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Adam is ridiculously good. I was getting owned super hard as Axel because he's just so slow, and Adam's quick-dash and his quick-dash double-punch do ridiculous damage. I completely dunked the Y Twins in all 3 encounters because I could easily cross the entire screen in a second or two and juggle them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Edit: never mind figured it out.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 2, 2020

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DeathSandwich posted:

Hitstun immunity on bosses for seemingly no reason can gently caress right off though. That's my one major nitpick and it makes bosses like Max and the ch 4 guy kind of poo poo.

From memory that was always a SOR thing, or at least a SOR2 thing - they'd have no hitstun on the first fight but they would on subsequent refights.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Part of me is a little bummed out that you can't just Grand Upper through everything like SoR2 but that's probably for the best. I've only really played as Axel so far but I feel like every tool at your disposal has a purpose and by the end of the game I felt like I could use them all well. The neutral special works well as a counter, forward special when you have enough room to pull it off, same for the blitz move but you need it to be a little quicker. Jump kick for getting some space/repositioning as always, charge attack for blowing away the guys in front of you so you can focus on the ones behind you. It's cool to have all the little pieces you need to get the space you need for really loving some guys up.

Also, two elevator levels, what a rush! I really love the glass elevator especially, it felt like a cool twist on the trope.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From memory that was always a SOR thing, or at least a SOR2 thing - they'd have no hitstun on the first fight but they would on subsequent refights.

The SOR games rarely used super armor like that- most of the way the bosses dealt with it was having copious amounts of counterattacks to get out of being hit stunned.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Floyd can grab and then press Special and electrocute the held enemy. He really is just Max with Dr. Zan arms.
Feels good to Forward+Special, neutral attack x2, special and electrocute the hell out of them. Almost as must damage as Max's old neck crank (which is nerfed to hell in this game vs. bosses).

It feels really good pulling off long combos with Axel. Grand Upper being able to be canceled from almost anything feels great.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 2, 2020

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Panzeh posted:

The SOR games rarely used super armor like that- most of the way the bosses dealt with it was having copious amounts of counterattacks to get out of being hit stunned.

It might be specific wakeup attacks that stop being invincible or something but there are definitely stun loops you can do on the bosses on the rematches that don't work the first time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love this game so I'm going to post some Floyd tech now. After Floyd does his Forward+Throw against an enemy into a wall, you can press Attack x1 then cancel into his Forward+Special (the extendo-grab). So you could do this (works on bosses):
Grab, Neutral Attack x2, Forward Throw (into wall/corner)
Attack x1, Forward+Special
Repeat as long as your health allows

If you want to finish up the loops, you could press Special while grabbed to do the shocking grasp then, then cancel that into his Blitz Attack for a big finish.
Here's an infinite combo for Floyd
Attack x3, pause, Attack x3, pause, Attack x3, pause...
Other enemies will generally try to walk up to you, and get caught in Floyd's massive jab range and be added to the group. Takes a little bit of timing to pull off, but can't be broken out of, and completely skips boss second phases.

\/\/ The key to Blaze's mobility is jumping, and pressing Special instantly as she leaves the ground. She is also considered airborne during her Blitz Attack, so you can cancel that into her air Special, too.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 2, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played through story on normal as Blaze. Too much Axel going on in this franchise so I had to give it a shot. I really wish she moved faster.

Well there were two more levels left, not one more, so that took a bit longer. As did getting my rear end handed to me. By the 3rd pass of a level the game stops being nearly as challenging, though I'm still not good enough at the genre to dive into harder difficulties without hesitation (it's gonna be bad).

Oh, and was there something at the end of the credits, or was that space between the last hit and the credits the breadth of the ending?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

gredgie posted:

How many of you fine folks are using the legacy controls? As I think the menu calls them.

It felt really alien to me having to press a separate button to pick things up with the standard controls, that and throwing enemies in the manner I wanted always seemed to end up with me just harmlessly vaulting them, so I switched to legacy and found things slightly better but I question if I am somewhat gimping myself given how Normal in this game feels like Hardest+ from the originals :D.

I'd rather fight two O.G. R. Bears at once than SoR4 Barbon again :<
I couldn't get used to the button for item pickup and use legacy, I tried classic adam and soloed the game finally, it does seem easier solo on normal at least, classic adam does hit like a truck, but not too much utility.

I used to main skate even though he's fragile and weak, so cherry was fun, and I multiplayer joined someones game that had em to try it out feels good man can't wait to unlock him, but he doesn't >> attack spin with the katana anymore and he can barely swing anything it's kinda weird.

I'm loving it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man even just playing through on Normal I was getting my rear end beat towards the end. I'm kinda bummed that Axel and Blaze don't have dash and rolls anymore, I am just too used to SoR3/SoRR control style at the moment so I probably got a lot of punishment for that

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Just got this and played through on normal and then jumped into a random online game. Really feels different with another player, you can juggle some bosses and manage crowds in ways you just can't alone. Kinda want to try 4-player on the higher difficulties.

Aces High posted:

man even just playing through on Normal I was getting my rear end beat towards the end. I'm kinda bummed that Axel and Blaze don't have dash and rolls anymore, I am just too used to SoR3/SoRR control style at the moment so I probably got a lot of punishment for that

Yeah, I switching to Adam for his dash and then found out Cherry can run and it was like regrowing a lost limb. Blaze can cover some ground by jumping but there are lots of enemy types where it isn't safe to jump in, and with Axel you're better off just using Grand Upper to close the distance with enemies across the screen.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
With Axel don't be afraid to use the jumping special basically all the time. It closes distance, hits, and any life lost from specials now can be immediately gained back by punching like twice. I was having a slog with him too until I noticed that, it's his only move with good lateral movement.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

BurningCourage posted:

Apparently the Steam version supports Remote Play Together so that could be a solution for 4 player online?

This is the first I've heard about Remote Play Together and I'm floored. Very excited to try it out. Has anyone tried it with SoR4?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
has anyone else noticed how the Y logo looks a bit like a huge T

also I hated how slow Blaze is until I started spamming her specials. Her flying kick can be done twice and covers a poo poo ton of ground, and her double tap forward attack isn't bad for position either. The kick is especially good for getting out of an attack zone--I can't get it consistently yet, but her aerial knee bounce thing can be chained straight into the flying kick for hit and run shenanigans.

game is extremely good and I want more, I hope a bunch of the side characters/bosses get their own playable campaign but specifically Estel

other good poo poo I'm typing so I don't forget--I suplexed an enemy and then hit them with the charged backfist as they bounced, it was a total accident but it's a pro tier strat I aspire to do forever now

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 2, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah I think with Blaze you're meant to use her air special for mobility. It covers a huge amount of ground and you can usually get all your health back right away with a wall splat or back throw. Blaze's corners combos are really fun to pull off in general.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm taking my time with this game, man even though the levels are short the game is genuinely challenging on normal so I'm always on my toes, this game loving rules. the music rules. wow this is so much better than I anticipated. Also Cop lady is really a cool antagonist.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
is that a giant butt plug in the art gallery level

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish I was good at Cheat Engine.
I really want to set both player's health (and time? is there a timer?) to infinite in Battle mode, so I can practice my combos in peace.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stark Fist posted:

This is the first I've heard about Remote Play Together and I'm floored. Very excited to try it out. Has anyone tried it with SoR4?

Works perfectly in the game, and I did a 4 player run two nights ago! The only downside is if you have multiple copies, only the host's progress moves up. Graphics quality and possible slight lag since you're technically streaming the game from them but functionally flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think that's true everywhere because you can't select characters the host hasn't unlocked yet. Too many scrubs out there with no Skate!