Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

caligulamprey posted:

It was pretty weird to wake up today and find myself in a promo video for the new Man Man album, but I'll take my street cred wherever I can get it.

rebecca black? is it you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

That movie was absolutely not played straight. It's campy as gently caress and most of the actors look like they're having a good time particularly Max Von Sydow (who outright said he took the role because it would be fun), Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed.

We apparently are polar opposites when it comes to this stuff and will never agree lol. My problem is I wanted more campiness out of it, I wanted something more than just a perfect remake of a slightly dull 1930s scifi film serial. It feels so restrained to me, like a higher up told them they couldn't be tongue in cheek/have jokes/poke fun etc, that it had to be a "serious" film. poo poo, I had even thought that Brian Blessed was the only one who got it and was having fun with it, but it could be his wild scene chewing and slight over acting compared to everyone else.

The Flash Gordon soundtrack is still a worthwhile listen though. Football Fight is one of my favorite songs from it, and due to owning the fancy rear end box set, I can be a hipster douche and slightly prefer the earlier version that has normal piano instead of synthesizer.

Um let's see vinyl content.... I got my obligatory laser etched copy of True Colors by Split Enz coming in the mail. Lot's of conflict and confusion on the internet as to what releases have this feature though. First google result is a forum thread where some people feel that laser etched blank sides don't count and that modern hologram etchings don't count either as it's a different process or something. I think everything that uses this particular effect (rainbow-y, reflective, and on playable sides) is the Split Enz single from this album, Styx - Paradise Theater, and the Superman II soundtrack.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

We apparently are polar opposites when it comes to this stuff and will never agree lol. My problem is I wanted more campiness out of it, I wanted something more than just a perfect remake of a slightly dull 1930s scifi film serial. It feels so restrained to me, like a higher up told them they couldn't be tongue in cheek/have jokes/poke fun etc, that it had to be a "serious" film. poo poo, I had even thought that Brian Blessed was the only one who got it and was having fun with it, but it could be his wild scene chewing and slight over acting compared to everyone else.

The Flash Gordon soundtrack is still a worthwhile listen though. Football Fight is one of my favorite songs from it, and due to owning the fancy rear end box set, I can be a hipster douche and slightly prefer the earlier version that has normal piano instead of synthesizer.

Um let's see vinyl content.... I got my obligatory laser etched copy of True Colors by Split Enz coming in the mail. Lot's of conflict and confusion on the internet as to what releases have this feature though. First google result is a forum thread where some people feel that laser etched blank sides don't count and that modern hologram etchings don't count either as it's a different process or something. I think everything that uses this particular effect (rainbow-y, reflective, and on playable sides) is the Split Enz single from this album, Styx - Paradise Theater, and the Superman II soundtrack.

Oh the Flash Gordon soundtrack on its own loving rules no matter what you think of the movie. You'll ahve no disagreement from me there. I never even got into Queen and that's still one of my favorite pieces of my collection.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of, new stuff!

I finally got the Windwaker Soundtrack CD, and chose this one over the Windwaker HD Sound Selection version from Club Nintendo for a couple of reasons. First the above one is two discs of all the game music including little 10 second clips like item fanfares and such whereas the the Sound Selection is just that: a curated collection of the longer songs of the game. Secondly a big US based eBay seller happened to have this new at the magic $40 price point. A good thing since word on the street is Japan has temporarily suspended EMS shipping to America so importing stuff will be a bigger pain for a while.

I am so pumped for you! Glad you decided to treat yoself :c00l:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

You know, there's a part of me that looks at someone who buys $100,000 speakers and $500 records while people are starving and unable to afford housing and healthcare and thinks - yeah, there's the argument against capitalism right there.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

"Even amid the coronavirus pandemic, Hutchison said, the company’s records have been selling as fast as ever"

Thank you NYTimes, stunning insight.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't even understand who would even buy that poo poo. Or why. Even if I could afford things like that there are so many better things you can do with it. How good could that poo poo possibly sound? Does the record sucks your dick and make you fly and shoot laser beams out of your eyes? Who loving cares? I'm admittedly someone who has argued and argued and argued about the superior sound of vinyl records and even I'm like "gently caress off this is just a bunch of bullshit.". If you want a copy of some record from the fifties that sounds exactly like the copy from the 50s just buy that.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

CPL593H posted:

I don't even understand who would even buy that poo poo. Or why. Even if I could afford things like that there are so many better things you can do with it. How good could that poo poo possibly sound? Does the record sucks your dick and make you fly and shoot laser beams out of your eyes? Who loving cares? I'm admittedly someone who has argued and argued and argued about the superior sound of vinyl records and even I'm like "gently caress off this is just a bunch of bullshit.". If you want a copy of some record from the fifties that sounds exactly like the copy from the 50s just buy that.

You know you're loving up when even the people who think vinyl sounds superior think your $500 record is a load of bullshit.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of, new stuff!

I finally got the Windwaker Soundtrack CD, and chose this one over the Windwaker HD Sound Selection version from Club Nintendo for a couple of reasons. First the above one is two discs of all the game music including little 10 second clips like item fanfares and such whereas the the Sound Selection is just that: a curated collection of the longer songs of the game. Secondly a big US based eBay seller happened to have this new at the magic $40 price point. A good thing since word on the street is Japan has temporarily suspended EMS shipping to America so importing stuff will be a bigger pain for a while.

Oh snap, we can post our CDs here, too? I see your game soundtrack imported from Japan and raise you my own plus a Milo and Otis video game.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
the Hot Stampers guy is worse

pwn
May 27, 2004

LastGoodBoy posted:

Oh snap, we can post our CDs here, too? I see your game soundtrack imported from Japan and raise you my own plus a Milo and Otis video game.

Now to determine who paid more :shepicide:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

pwn posted:

Now to determine who paid more :shepicide:

Oh I highly doubt it was me.

Very nice ones, though. Do either of those have the vocal arrangement of Pollyanna?

pwn
May 27, 2004

LastGoodBoy posted:

Oh I highly doubt it was me.

Very nice ones, though. Do either of those have the vocal arrangement of Pollyanna?

Mother 1 is all vocal arrangements, except the final track!

Also yeah you got the better deal.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

pwn posted:

Mother 1 is all vocal arrangements, except the final track!

Also yeah you got the better deal.

Yeah, sadly mine isn't, it's just the chiptune tracks (at least I'm 99% sure. The one I downloaded was and I don't open sealed albums because I'm obsessive like that), but it's still a great album either way. I'm definitely going to look into getting copies of those ones, though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Oh, we doing Earthbound/Mother today?

Been enjoying this release published by Debug records

and in the second pic, you can see my other recent videogame purchase, Celsete B-Sides

(Sorry it's blurry, it was playing when my brother in law wanted a pic of it and I wasn't stopping it for him)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
If you guys like the Mother/Earthbound soundtrack you should absolutely check out Moonriders or anything Keiichi Suzuki produced

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Someone post a Danzig Mother 7” please

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

LastGoodBoy posted:

You know you're loving up when even the people who think vinyl sounds superior think your $500 record is a load of bullshit.

What's up youtube it's ya boy bloodplay it again here with the whitest, hottest stampers available. Last week the bloodplay family tested five VIRAL tiktok videos and this week we're comin at ya with the classics. We're gonna be huffing jenkems and ANAL(heh)yzing this week's white hot stampers: 1988's soundtrack to Big and Grateful Dead '72 Live. Get ready, get strapped, let's go.

*Ultra bassy intro that goes on for 45 seconds too long*

This video spoonsored by nord vpn. Why let your ISP harvest marketing info when you can pay us instead? Sign up now for 33% off a five decade subscription.

Yooooo just LISTEN to how good this white hot stamper sounds on my Crossley and over 360p youtube. What do you think? Leave a comment below and don't forget to like and subscribe in these unprecedented times.

E: oh drat it I didn't see the comment about stampers guy being worse. That's what I get for not scrolling down.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

the Hot Stampers guy is worse

I'm still dying to know how to get in on that scam.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CPL593H posted:

Be an old white guy and throw out as much bullshit jargon as possible

The people who buy Stampers are going to convince themselves it sounds incredible and was worth it for a $399 copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bloodplay it again posted:

E: oh drat it I didn't see the comment about stampers guy being worse. That's what I get for not scrolling down.

But it was worth it and you should be proud!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ballz posted:

Whoa, not sure how long it's been the case but Badbadnotgood has their collab album with Ghostface up on their Bandcamp.

Today's also another day that Bandcamp is waiving revenue sharing, so give your favorite starving musician some money!

Sadly I slept on the bandcamp waving their fee day but its cheaper from lex records website in a 2 record bundle as this release is being shipped from the UK (39 pounds bandcamp vs 36 pounds). Also: you absolutely want the bundle as the second album is the instrumental.

pwn
May 27, 2004

1988's soundtrack to Big

Lol

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

incoherent posted:

Sadly I slept on the bandcamp waving their fee day but its cheaper from lex records website in a 2 record bundle as this release is being shipped from the UK (39 pounds bandcamp vs 36 pounds). Also: you absolutely want the bundle as the second album is the instrumental.

Indeed and I did order it as a bundle yesterday through Bandcamp. I can download/stream it through Bandcamp as well, so for me it was worth the few extra pounds.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

What's up youtube it's ya boy bloodplay it again here with the whitest, hottest stampers available. Last week the bloodplay family tested five VIRAL tiktok videos and this week we're comin at ya with the classics. We're gonna be huffing jenkems and ANAL(heh)yzing this week's white hot stampers: 1988's soundtrack to Big and Grateful Dead '72 Live. Get ready, get strapped, let's go.

This whole post is amazing this is not an empty quote

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I always figured the whole thing is one big SEO play. Beyond the famously over-the-top descriptions of thos Stampers, the site also has hugely long blogs where the guy tells long rear end stories about why Stampers are a thing, how he found them, customers who write in to be like “I never believed these could be worth it, but they are!” and such. Given that some pressings of records can legitimately sound better than others, obsessive fans are probably going to beat the internet up trying to find them; all the keywords on that guy’s site make it easy for search engines to find it. From there, it’s just a matter of waiting for someone susceptible to confirmation bias to find the site; it’s not like you have to sell too many of them to get paid as hell. And since he’s not sharing the actual details on how to pick a Stamper out of all the thrift store trash, there’s no way to check his work without giving him money.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

screaden posted:

If you guys like the Mother/Earthbound soundtrack you should absolutely check out Moonriders or anything Keiichi Suzuki produced

not to mention the track "Satellite Serenade" which had a very popular trance remix in the early 90s. or the Beatniks stuff with Yukihiro Takahashi. Keiichi Suzuki's work seems pretty well known but nobody really seems to know who he is and Moonriders stuff is still super obscure outside of Japan. can't say all their albums are good but they've got a lot of really great material.

kinda similar to Susumu Hirasawa, his soundtracks are very popular and well acclaimed but nobody seems to want to check out his solo stuff. which is a shame, because once you do you realize those soundtracks are basically the B-sides to his (almost uniformly excellent) solo albums

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Anyone else manage to snag a copy of the Palm Mall Mars red repress in the 4 minutes before it sold out? Think I wore out my refresh button waiting for it to go up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

nm

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 4, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LastGoodBoy posted:

Anyone else manage to snag a copy of the Palm Mall Mars red repress in the 4 minutes before it sold out? Think I wore out my refresh button waiting for it to go up.

I managed to get one too. :hfive: Between that and the Streets of Rage 4 CE vinyl bundle, that was an expensive day for me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anybody know why the alternate version of Pay No Mind was only ever on one specific pressing on the vinyl LP and never any other version of Mellow Gold. Aside from the extra verse it sounds like maybe it's a different take or at least a different mix too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I didn't even know that was a thing.

A friend of mine has an OG copy of Mellow Gold still sealed and I'm gonna force him to break that fucker open the minute we get outta quarantine now, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing.

A friend of mine has an OG copy of Mellow Gold still sealed and I'm gonna force him to break that fucker open the minute we get outta quarantine now, though.

So two things, what kind of rear end in a top hat would own that and not listen to it. It's not on all the old LPs there was a specific pressing or something. I don;t remember how to identify but discogs probably does. I think the dead wax says Motherload on it. That version of the song is usually referred to as "motherload version". This is the best quality recording of the song I can find on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7mPvMhVqds

Just a heads up about getting one of the original LPs of Mellow Gold. There are a shitton of bootlegs, a lot of them seem to come from Japan so I wouldn't buy one from there. I just got the reissue from a few years ago. It sounds good and I wasn't interested in paying 100 bucks for that album as much as I like it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I had no idea that was a thing either!

Beck has so much unreleased material, I hope he actually gets around to releasing more of it. The Way It Seems is one of my favorite Beck songs, and comes off an album that was intended to be a follow-up to One Foot in the Grave. But to date it's the only song from this 25+ year old album that's actually seen the light of day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

I had no idea that was a thing either!

Beck has so much unreleased material, I hope he actually gets around to releasing more of it. The Way It Seems is one of my favorite Beck songs, and comes off an album that was intended to be a follow-up to One Foot in the Grave. But to date it's the only song from this 25+ year old album that's actually seen the light of day.

In his early days he would sing all kinds of different versions of this song at shows. Sometimes they'd last as long as ten minutes. Here's a clip of him doing a completely different version of the song on MTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_dng3X7mk

He's pretty clearly just loving around here but it's likely that a bunch of this poo poo is from other versions or just the type of improvisation he did live.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Beck rules. Odelay thru Sea Change is an incredible run

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Also my frank ocean 7s finally shipped today. Ordered them on October 19th of last year. gently caress you frank I will be flipping these immediately upon receiving them. The songs didn’t even turn out to be that good!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Beck rules. Odelay thru Sea Change is an incredible run

If you don't like One Foot in the Grave and Mellow Gold we can't be friends.

edit: I saw him live last summer and he still puts on a really good show. It was a co-headlining tour with Cage the Elephant which I'm not a huge fan of but they put on a good show and they have a really dynamic front man. So then when Beck finally comes out he's standing on this lit diamond shaped mini stage and the screen behind him shows him from above. And he's just doing this off the cuff slide guitar thing, then suddenly just starts playing Loser. And withing ten seconds of an over played 25 year old single he completely blew away the other band. The whole rest of the show was just incredible. He still has it. I also saw him when he was touring Morning Phase and at the start of the encore he says "I'm going to bring my friend on to help us out." and it was Jack White. If you can ever see Beck you absolutely must.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 5, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Sadly I’ve never listened to either. I was actually going to go to to the Missouri show on that tour but couldn’t make it work financially. His newest album wasn’t half bad either so hopefully he gets back out there. You know when we start getting to do concerts again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Actually now that I think about it did you ever listen to that single he cut at Third Man? Definitely worth a spin if you can get ahold of it