Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

Wrong!
The TRD badge allows my wife and I to perform the joke to each other as follows:

Point to a 'TRD Sport' badge and go 'lol turd sport'

Yeah half the guys at my office drive “taco turd pros”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ilkhan posted:

I will readily admit Ford and good transmissions don't go together very often.

Understatement of the year.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

The 6M in the MGT may not have been the best, but did the job just fine for me.

I will readily admit Ford and good transmissions don't go together very often.

The MGT manual was a blast to drive and the engine noise was intoxicating. I really like that car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BloodBag posted:

The MGT manual was a blast to drive and the engine noise was intoxicating. I really like that car.
Me too. Miss that car.

Trading it in for the truck is the only reason I was able to see my now wife at all for weeks at a time, probably wouldn't be married if I hadn't done that. So not a mistake, just... I miss that car.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kraftwerk posted:

No offense to you or the rest of AI but over the years I’ve gotten the impression that AI hates all new cars. Full stop. And will never be satisfied until they can get a 6MT,all weather with a roof version of an Ariel Atom for $25,000 (which they’ll buy used 4-8 years later and spend more time tinkering with it in the garage than driving it).

I dunno about the AI hivemind, but yeah, I'll own it. I hate the vast majority of new cars. They look like poo poo and are effectively disposable commuting appliances, or are priced like houses and still have the same build quality and interiors as the effectively disposable commuting appliances.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Where do you live thst yoh vsn buy a house fir yhsy price

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Flyover country.

The land of $80k trucks and $150k houses.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. I've never really had a problem with him, most of his videos are ok, but that one was deliberately over the top like he was trying to piss someone off at Toyota for some reason.

100% serious. He's worse than Matt Farah and Jay Leno, and that's saying a lot.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

antimatt posted:

100% serious. He's worse than Matt Farah and Jay Leno, and that's saying a lot.

Jay Leno redeems himself time and again by having interesting cars and a genuine interest in them. I can even tolerate Brian from Regular Car Reviews when he's got an interesting car and finds his groove. Doug deMuro just pegs the ol' Annoying-Douche-O-Meter hard.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I don't think anyone actually likes Doug, they just like watching Doug

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wheeee posted:

I can barely go through 5 minutes of a Doug vid before closing tabs unless he's reviewing something really interesting to me.

Scotty Kilmer's a different kind of annoying, but enough people seem to like his loopy, semi-zany delivery.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I dunno about the AI hivemind, but yeah, I'll own it. I hate the vast majority of new cars. They look like poo poo and are effectively disposable commuting appliances, or are priced like houses and still have the same build quality and interiors as the effectively disposable commuting appliances.

You forgot "packed with pointless, expensive gimmicky poo poo that will definitely break after a couple of years' use"

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Grakkus posted:

You forgot "packed with pointless, expensive gimmicky poo poo that will definitely break after a couple of years' use"

*cries in air suspension*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

90s Solo Cup posted:

*cries in air suspension*

Raises a glass to yours...cries in hydraulic suspension.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

90s Solo Cup posted:

I can barely go through 5 minutes of a Doug vid before closing tabs unless he's reviewing something really interesting to me.

Scotty Kilmer's a different kind of annoying, but enough people seem to like his loopy, semi-zany delivery.

I can’t watch him at all, but the impression I get from people who do is that they’re laughing at him.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Wheeee posted:

I don't even like watching Doug. He looks like an inhuman caricature of a human trying to be human. It makes my skin crawl. Doug is what Jerry Seinfeld would describe Matt Farah's lunch being so he Matt could remain human for another video release.

Also kinda interested in the next STI. Can I just get an EVO III with modern crash standards and ABS?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

90s Solo Cup posted:

It's this for me, the only reason I watch him at all is because of the interesting cars, certainly not him.

So I haven't really got to the point where he grates on me because I haven't really watched enough of them yet I guess.

But the Avalon video was ridiculously over the top annoying

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grakkus posted:

"Infotainment"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like brand new cars with all the bells and whistles where everything is under warranty and I don't have to think about maintenance. I don't even change my own oil any more. Gimme that overstressed 500 HP turbo 6 on a lease and let it blow up for the next guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

"Infotainment"

This will be interesting. I asked this to someone a couple decades ago. " So if any of these shitboxes actually become collectible, how would they be judged at say some concourse event?" Took him a while and basically said "emulation".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The weirdos who treat cars like museum pieces will have old damaged circuit boards repaired by hand.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

antimatt posted:

I don't even like watching Doug. He looks like an inhuman caricature of a human trying to be human. It makes my skin crawl. Doug is what Jerry Seinfeld would describe Matt Farah's lunch being so he Matt could remain human for another video release.

Also kinda interested in the next STI. Can I just get an EVO III with modern crash standards and ABS?

You guys seem to have very strong opinions about car youtubers.

They’re all pretty much the same imho: white guys who have money to fall back on in case things didn’t work out.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea that’s most business owners

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol yep, and mostly restaurants/bars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Doug is pretty annoying but I find some of the quirks and features interesting sometimes. Like most reviewers will talk about panel gaps and then how fast it is but he'd find some interesting stuff you'd only know if you owned the car for a while. This is especially true for weird-rear end Italian or Japanese cars.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I can't imagine getting worked up over someone as harmless as Doug DeMuro.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Liquid Communism posted:

I hate the vast majority of new cars. They look like poo poo and are effectively disposable commuting appliances

This has always been the case, at least now they're somewhat reliable and much, much safer.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also my only problem with new cars is that I can't afford any of them.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Neo_Crimson posted:

I can't imagine getting worked up over someone as harmless as Doug DeMuro.

Absolutely same, dude is pretty inoffensive if mildly annoying with some of the things he says but really he's just another car dude I successfully ignore except for when people talk about him. I don't subscribe to his channel and as such the only time I see videos are when people are complaining about him. :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KillHour posted:

The weirdos who treat cars like museum pieces will have old damaged circuit boards repaired by hand.

True, hell that industry has been in place since '84 or so.

Now you have a giant flat screen in your "rare" car. How would it be judged in 50 years when you can't get the parts nor repair them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the real answer is that no one is going to judge them because that whole industry is going to rapidly die out as that generation does.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Please don't judge me when I pay tons of money to restore a 1992 Mazda Protegé.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Charles posted:

I'll judge the quality of your work, because the concept is awesome.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Charles posted:

See you at Barrett Jackson in twenty years, bidding on our first cars. If it’s teal blue it’s mine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

See you at Barrett Jackson in twenty years, bidding on our first cars. If it’s teal blue it’s mine.

Tropic Emerald Metallic, color code Z1!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

True, hell that industry has been in place since '84 or so.

Now you have a giant flat screen in your "rare" car. How would it be judged in 50 years when you can't get the parts nor repair them.

That's not a new problem. What do you do if your 50's jag needs a new part? You hope you can find one on a dusty shelf somewhere and pay out the nose for it. Old cars are rare and expensive because the parts aren't around to keep them all running.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charles posted:

I still have BG parts around somewhere. Between my brother and I we have owned 7 BGs. Proteges, 323s, EGTs and even a Kia Sephia with a BP.

SGt Fox's 323 is basically my wet dream, if anyone hasn't seen his thread yet go check it out now.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Charles posted:

I had two separate opportunities to buy one and didn't because the first one's interior smelled like it had the mother of all water leaks. The other one was a stick and I'm too much of a lazy poo poo to deal with manual transmissions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Lol, you definitely don't want an auto in a Mazda that old - they hadn't figured them out for at least another decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

90s Solo Cup posted:

I had two separate opportunities to buy one and didn't because the first one's interior smelled like it had the mother of all water leaks. The other one was a stick and I'm too much of a lazy poo poo to deal with manual transmissions.

Mine was the easiest car I've ever driven. Would be great to teach somebody, compared to my notchy shifter and jumpy clutch on my Mazda 3.