Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

everythingWasBees posted:

no I am very genuine about encouraging shinju no nectar chat in this thread

I don't even mind the premise and if there's a series where the MC gets his powers from sucking dicks I'd be all over that too

I'm just saying this smells like double standards

e: what a fuckin snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Er, how did Wolf Doesn't Sleep end up in the "wholesome" thread anyway. I love the web novel, and he writes pretty fast.

For people who like it, the original web novel author has a couple of other highly regarded fantasy series out and completed!

Meikyuu no Ou (King of the Labyrinth)

Henkyou no Roukishi (Old Knight of the Borderlands)

The latter has a manga adaptation too, it seems.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Legitimately tho an actual story deep diving the world of medieval book crafting would own so much.

I’ve been researching it for a while for an unrelated project, the industry existed for a pretty short time - a century or three between the transition from book craft being purely monastic and the invention of the printing press. They had Bookman’s Streets, which were just entire city streets devoted to the work of making books. Scribal copying, papermaking, bookbinding, ink preparation - each book was a bespoke product, and the amount of work that went into them was immense. The scribes developed fonts, too, they would master specific script hands and advertise their ability to produce these scripts in large font sheets they’d hang outside or tuck into the back of the books.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I’m not sure I’m able to judge what’s boring, I think my favorite manga these days is the one that’s just a deep dive on the troubles of being a postal worker in a fantasy world

Which series is this? I feel like I've seen it before but can't pin a name to it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Legitimately tho an actual story deep diving the world of medieval book crafting would own so much.

I’ve been researching it for a while for an unrelated project, the industry existed for a pretty short time - a century or three between the transition from book craft being purely monastic and the invention of the printing press. They had Bookman’s Streets, which were just entire city streets devoted to the work of making books. Scribal copying, papermaking, bookbinding, ink preparation - each book was a bespoke product, and the amount of work that went into them was immense. The scribes developed fonts, too, they would master specific script hands and advertise their ability to produce these scripts in large font sheets they’d hang outside or tuck into the back of the books.

There probably is one, it just isn't translated. I've stopped being surprised by what exists at least as comic in the japanese scene now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Motto posted:

Which series is this? I feel like I've seen it before but can't pin a name to it.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/43354/the-dragon-the-hero-and-the-courier

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

Er, how did Wolf Doesn't Sleep end up in the "wholesome" thread anyway. I love the web novel, and he writes pretty fast.

For people who like it, the original web novel author has a couple of other highly regarded fantasy series out and completed!

Meikyuu no Ou (King of the Labyrinth)

Henkyou no Roukishi (Old Knight of the Borderlands)

The latter has a manga adaptation too, it seems.

https://mangadex.org/title/27114/henkyou-no-roukishi-bard-loen

Bard Loen is just fantasy, it is very good but I talk about it elsewhere. A recent scene which is very interesting is the hero shooting down a young person who wants to become a knight by detailing what the real historical life of a knight was like. A bit of a funny dichotomy since its still otherwise a fantasy world.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What I want is basically documentaries about obscure subjects, except with cute animes kissing or fighting sometimes

E: Bard Loen is a cute anime

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 29, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is this the thread for Karate Idiot Isekai? Because there's new Karate Idiot Isekai.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That manga really needs to be a weekly, it’s paced for a weekly but at monthly release it feels interminably slow.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh it is real good and well researched, I agree

I just, like, I legitimately can’t tell any more when the poo poo I like is boring to other people because the answer appears to be hella random

I want more people to just do manga that are deep dives on a thing they know a lot about

If you like a Wolf, you'll also like Undead Adventurer. Both have that vibe of having been written by people who actually know and play a LOT of DnD and both feature protagonists who are badass, but also have a sort of goofiness to them due to being socially awkward in their own ways while also being the best adventure bros you could party with.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/872334/32

The new chapter of Wolf is brutal and I want to see where it's going.

It's rare to see a series that has a more believable setup for an adventurer's guild. In this instance, addressing the issues of having commission based payments from individuals who would not be able to afford the cost of services. And to your later post, I also think it's important that there be an exchange of ideas as well as a sense of "equality" when someone gets isekai'd. Despite his immense skill and strength, Lecan has been easily read by those who are very knowledgeable despite his efforts to conceal key information information. And that he was willing to part with a valuable personal effect also speaks to how much he had bonded with the Zeidmore family in general and Luvie specifically; doubly so in the aftermath of her Marrying off

It's a shame I didn't pick this one up sooner, it's very much in a similar vein to Bard Leon and the same group translates it as well. This one is really good, art is on point as well. Thanks.

Lecan should write a book on practical applications of maze monster behaviors in child rearing. That chapter was magical

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Didn't see it get posted for a while, but a new chapter of Chronicles of Hardships in the Sengoku Era got a new chapter.

This chapter reminds me of Shogun: Total War again, what with using your own garrison to put back law and order in your newly captured territory, as well as winning over the loyalty of the people. Out of all the things they could have done, I definitely didn't expect them quoting loving Mark Zuckerberg. :laffo:

What I like about Shizuko as a protagonist is her humility. She knows full well that the technology and concepts she's introducing in the Sengoku era aren't her own invention, so she makes sure everyone knows it's Namban technology and never takes any credit for it. She's really uncomfortable about getting rewarded for it, too. And now her current goal is to eventually come up with something that's 100% her own creation so she can be proud of having something to pass on to future generations. It's really refreshing, especially when a lot of isekai stories where the protag introduces technology and such just glosses over the fact that they're profiting off others' inventions, all while the people of the world fawn over them for being a genius.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

It's because it's genuinely well-written, has a different take on the isekai genre being a transfer from one fantasy world to another fantasy world, isn't excessively fanservicey, and so far hasn't done any of the other gross poo poo that would get it kicked out of the thread. It's on the same level as Faraway Paladin to me, maybe even a little higher (wrt how much I look forward to updates and enjoy reading each chapter).

Lecan looks scary and edgy but he's just a goob who filters all of his life experiences through the prism of dungeon clearing including how to interact with children

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 29, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It might be just me projecting, but I get strong autism vibes off Lecan basically only having this one lens that is his special interest and solving every problem by forcing his lens to work for it, plus his genuine enthusiasm for learning new stuff that will help his special interest.

Just, his special interest is Being Adventurer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

It might be just me projecting, but I get strong autism vibes off Lecan basically only having this one lens that is his special interest and solving every problem by forcing his lens to work for it, plus his genuine enthusiasm for learning new stuff that will help his special interest.

For better or for worse, he would get along very well with Laius from Dungeon Meshi.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

From the WN, he grew up in poverty, but at one point or another he was basically adopted as the son or foster son or something to that effect of the king or his region. It's why he knew the courtly bow. I'd need to read it again to verify. A big thing with him is an overwhelming desire to self-improve as much as he can across several fields that can help his adventuring.

Edit: He was also quite reticent about giving the Pendant to Luvie since it was enchanted with several buffs, but very much "read the room" and didn't want to do something as untoward as decline what was very clearly her showing him her favor like she did.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 29, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mors Rattus posted:

I just, like, I legitimately can't tell any more when the poo poo I like is boring to other people because the answer appears to be hella random
Because everyone has their own tastes and interests and even if a work caters to those tastes and interests it can do so in a way that puts off that reader.

Reader tolerance is important to think about as well. Like, I'm getting close to dropping Tyrant's Sister and a False Confession because my tolerance for their antics is running low. Tyrant's because I'm having a hard time understanding the weird political double-talk between the MC and the Princess and because the MC's weird 'plan to become a couple around my tyrant brother' has used the same joke twice for it falling apart.

False Confession because it reminding me entirely too much of the perpetual romantic tension that I have had enough of thanks to Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Ah My Goddess! and some Love Hina etc. in my teens.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

doomrider7 posted:

From the WN, he grew up in poverty, but at one point or another he was basically adopted as the son or foster son or something to that effect of the king or his region. It's why he knew the courtly bow. I'd need to read it again to verify. A big thing with him is an overwhelming desire to self-improve as much as he can across several fields that can help his adventuring.

Edit: He was also quite reticent about giving the Pendant to Luvie since it was enchanted with several buffs, but very much "read the room" and didn't want to do something as untoward as decline what was very clearly her showing him her favor like she did.

oh yeah, fair, that second one at least doesn't square with my identification

or, at least, doesn't square with my experience of being autistic, anyway

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lecan really valued that magic pendant, and despite the replacement having effects that were new to him it was still worse than the original. he still gave it away with barely any hesitation, because he's cool like that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lecan really valued that magic pendant, and despite the replacement having effects that were new to him it was still worse than the original. he still gave it away with barely any hesitation, because he's cool like that.

Disagree about the effects. The new ones effects are an overall improvement since it's a 50% attack damage increase. Basically he swapped the Cloranthy Ring for the same buff quality as the Morion Blade + Red Tearstone Ring, but without the issue of needing to be under 20% hp. It was a case of Sweet and Sour Grapes where he got a completely unexpected improvement from something he expected to be a pure net negative since the Pendant's effects are purely passive and only affect damage dealt so it's not like he FEELS stronger, he just does more damage.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Disagree about the effects. The new ones effects are an overall improvement since it's a 50% attack damage increase. Basically he swapped the Cloranthy Ring for the same buff quality as the Morion Blade + Red Tearstone Ring, but without the issue of needing to be under 20% hp. It was a case of Sweet and Sour Grapes where he got a completely unexpected improvement from something he expected to be a pure net negative since the Pendant's effects are purely passive and only affect damage dealt so it's not like he FEELS stronger, he just does more damage.

I agree it's a straight upgrade. Especially when you consider that even with diminishing returns he can still restore his stamina through medicine. It kind of took away some of the weight of him giving up his original necklace when the next chapter he finds he gets bonus damage

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

I agree it's a straight upgrade. Especially when you consider that even with diminishing returns he can still restore his stamina through medicine. It kind of took away some of the weight of him giving up his original necklace when the next chapter he finds he gets bonus damage

I kind of liked it though, like a sort of positive karmic retribution and even then it's still something that gets evened out since it's now the stamina medicine is an issue he needs to consider. Not a big issue, but still something he now has to worry about.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I kind of liked it though, like a sort of positive karmic retribution and even then it's still something that gets evened out since it's now the stamina medicine is an issue he needs to consider. Not a big issue, but still something he now has to worry about.

That stamina pills work less during subsequent uses is still a strong tradeoff. The pendant also worked as a magic regen accessory as well and that's been an even more pressing concern to him given he requires multiple magic gens to replenish after bursts of activity for things like his [wind] spell. It's not bad that he gets rewarded for his sacrifice, but it's the speed of the reward that pulls some of the punch out of handing away such a precious tool from his original world.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Another thing I like about the pendant exchange is it wasn't just a one-off thing that happened then was forgotten; there are continuing repercussions to it like the stamina stuff. I kinda wonder if at some point we'll find out that on her end the other one ended up helping her in some way unexpectedly as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

Another thing I like about the pendant exchange is it wasn't just a one-off thing that happened then was forgotten; there are continuing repercussions to it like the stamina stuff. I kinda wonder if at some point we'll find out that on her end the other one ended up helping her in some way unexpectedly as well.

Given what likely becomes her royal profession, most likely yes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his old pendant was better for extended dungeon dives, which is what lecan really cares about (though not what he ends up doing much, in practice). he would also be able to use the consumables for burst recovery even if he still had the old pendant. the attack bonus is decent enough, but it doesn't suit lecan's lifestyle or preferences. heck, he barely even uses the thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's also one his things that means a lot from his world that means a lot to him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anyone reading Past Life Regressor

I took a look expecting it to just be another The Gamer knockoff but instead i'm like fiften chapters into the protag doing Gin to Kin bullshit on the stock market and exploiting the 1997 Asian financial crisis to his own benefit. Kind of neat.

The one downside is the translation is not that great.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

Late to respond, but I've gotten similar vibes from Rentt in that he looks at several things through the eyes of how they'd relate to adventuring and his occasional lack of social cues especially towards Lorraine.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

As someone on the spectrum:
Man you guys are projecting like no tomorrow :|

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Siegkrow posted:

Wouldn't surprise me which is why I never actually bring it up since it's likely completely wrong and kind of wrong to assume. Sorry if came off as offensive.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Stairmaster posted:

Anyone reading Past Life Regressor

I took a look expecting it to just be another The Gamer knockoff but instead i'm like fiften chapters into the protag doing Gin to Kin bullshit on the stock market and exploiting the 1997 Asian financial crisis to his own benefit. Kind of neat.

The one downside is the translation is not that great.

I don’t know anything about the financial market but this is has been a fun read. I’m surprised it’s spent so much time going into detail about it instead of laying the fantasy end of the world on really thick.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll take this back when they finally make a "I Was General Sherman and Got Reincarnated as a Communist Abolitionist of Bullshitworld. Let's March to the Sea!"

Well they already got Putin with Rider King, so it wouldn't be that far of a leap...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I don't know how Autism works in even the broadest sense so I just kinda assumed that it makes sense to try and use examples of things you've seen to solve a problem. Like if you knit and make clothes a lot and you say that you can apply that pretty easily to making a lattice pie then I'll believe you. My sense of disbelief is pretty low. Or high. I can buy into a lot of stuff from the guy who is also a storage chest is what I'm saying.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I've been really enjoying Beware of the Villainess lately. Has some amazing faces and the pace of releases has been ridiculous. While it's not bakarina tier I think it's worth looking at if you, like me, can't get enough villainess isekai.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Haha that's fun. I hope they keep up the releases.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Herbotron posted:

I've been really enjoying Beware of the Villainess lately. Has some amazing faces and the pace of releases has been ridiculous. While it's not bakarina tier I think it's worth looking at if you, like me, can't get enough villainess isekai.

Just read this as well! :v: It's fun and the faces are hilarious, but one thing about it bothers me a little. I think it's how the story feels like it doesn't really allow the villainess to flex her agency. I get that the point is that she's forced to deal with lovely men in her life, but I feel like it might get annoying how every time she tries to clear misunderstandings or tell them to gently caress off, they just completely ignore her wishes.

The pacing is a little slow, too. In other stories where a lady tries to improve and get even with the terrible people in her life, it takes about the second or third chapter for them to score some kind of win against her tormentors. Here, it took about 13 chapters before she was able to humiliate the prince during the ball by bringing someone else as her date. And even then, her plan still failed because Nine ditched her at the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It kind of bothered me at first too, but I'm getting into its rhythm. I don't think it's necessary in these kinds of stories to have immediate wins as it were and I'd argue that part of the conflict, externally is gaining back agency (I mean I hope it is) as a maligned fictional female character who was designed to get screwed over by the narrative which blames her downfall entirely on herself and not the male love interests who don't really get punished by the way they treat her.

Bakarina and a lot of villainness reincarnation stories sometimes start off being reborn in childhood so they have an advantage of being able to change perceptions about themselves early on in order to change their bad ending. Melissa doesn't have that luxury and is working more at the starting point of the story she's in. So, in that way, I can believe why there's a slow pace; the other characters have known her for years as a bratty, pitiful and spiteful girl with a major temper issues. Of course they'd hang onto the idea that she's just being the same and not take her seriously even though she's actively pushing against them to show that they're not innocent in how they've treated her back.

As much as I love Bakarina, there are times where the adoration she gets doesn't feel earned even though she does do things that cause everyone to fall in love with her. That might be with just a few certain characters, not necessarily all of them. It's supposed to be a fluffy romcom at heart after all.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 2, 2020