Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the Ace of Choco Pro?
Akki
Mei-chan
Sakura-san
Anton
Chris Brookes until literally anyone on this show beats him
Yunamon
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

watching the latest show and that triple threat fuckin whipped. Now I'm listening to a blown up Akki call Honda vs Sayaka(?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/CheeZeFX/status/1252821969185071106?s=19 think I've ended up watching this every day this week and it never fails to cheer me up. Gatoh Move owns so much

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

that cross body into the wall just looks burly as gently caress no matter who's involved.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

A wrestling league predicated mostly on slapstick and recurring bits continues to own. Mei-chan being locked out of the windows repeatedly is tremendous

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

coconono posted:

watching the latest show and that triple threat fuckin whipped. Now I'm listening to a blown up Akki call Honda vs Sayaka(?)

Even the opener was a blast, considering Sakura was working with a 1 year rookie who started training at the spry age of 44 (and that's loving awesome).
The triple threat had me in stitches with the window sill splits bit and Mei being locked out. Sayaka Obihiro's 10 year anniversary match turned into fight and Honda can be a pretty convincing rear end in a top hat when he wants to - that place is gonna explode when she finally pins him.

Neodoomium posted:

A wrestling league predicated mostly on slapstick and recurring bits continues to own.

And janken tournaments.

EDIT: Happy Mei Day everybody!

https://twitter.com/Mei_gtmv/status/1256130886782775297

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 1, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i missed this until now holy poo poo all of this rules

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm starting to watch Choco Pro and my main issue is that it's hard for me to tell what people's names are. Is there like a roster page or something?

Barring that, what's the name of the lady in the main event of Chocopro 2 with the Okada-tier entrance coat and sunglasses? She rules.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just remember Yunamon has the best hair

https://twitter.com/tropicalyahho/status/1255833005714599936

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Takuan posted:

I'm starting to watch Choco Pro and my main issue is that it's hard for me to tell what people's names are. Is there like a roster page or something?

Barring that, what's the name of the lady in the main event of Chocopro 2 with the Okada-tier entrance coat and sunglasses? She rules.

A helpful roster page is right here. The answer to the second question is Ryo Mizunami (wait 'till you get to her singles match against Sakura), and she's coming back on the 3rd.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The patron is up now: https://www.patreon.com/chocoprolive

It’s only got like 30 patrons which is pretty sad, so consider helping out if you can.

In other news, Mei is attempting to only speak English:

https://twitter.com/Mei_gtmv/status/1256254044865089536

And there’s a new show from 2017 going up at like 7am Eastern time:

https://twitter.com/gatohmove/status/1256380468066258944

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I translated a recent article where Emi Sakura introduces ChocoPro and explains her motivations behind starting it, if anyone is interested in that: https://headmeetchair.com/2020/05/chocopro-wrestling-for-an-online-age/

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I got the gist of that article via google translate, but this was so much better - thanks Johnny!

Edit: big mom energy explained

quote:

Constantly producing new ideas, Sakura says she’s “just trying to find a way to survive in the world of wrestling.” She knows she can’t afford to get hung up on formality in pursuit of the new.

“I want to leave behind a legacy that shines. There are always women who want to excel in their field, whether it’s song or dance, or other sports, or anything else. Women who want to sparkle. Of course that’s true for wrestling, too. When I debuted at age seventeen, I wanted to sparkle as a wrestler. That girl is still inside me today.”

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 2, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The livestream was good until YouTube took it down for whatever reason

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The livestream was good until YouTube took it down for whatever reason

Community strike

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

ChocoPro is definitely worth 8 dollars a month in patreon. I'll probably end up buying a bunch of poo poo from their PWT store soon.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

J-Ro posted:

A helpful roster page is right here. The answer to the second question is Ryo Mizunami (wait 'till you get to her singles match against Sakura), and she's coming back on the 3rd.
She was also in the six-woman Joshi Showcase at AEW's Double of Nothing :eng101:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

She was also in the six-woman Joshi Showcase at AEW's Double of Nothing :eng101:

I knew I'd seen her somewhere before, but couldn't place it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's already a ways in but ChocoPro 9 is on now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOh9b5xYr4c

Mei continues to be the best.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Congrats Akki

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

There was even a Queen sing-a-long today... And then Mei decided to get her chest caved-in by Ryo.

https://twitter.com/SpiritOfBotan/status/1256767519483760641

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 3, 2020

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Apologies for the double post, but a friendly reminder that Choco Pro #10 starts in ~20 minutes:

Antonio Honda Vs Tokiko Kirihara

Mei Suruga vs Sayaka Obihara

Emi Sakura vs Baliyan Akki

https://twitter.com/EmiSakura_gtmv/status/1256763381576433664

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When is the Yunamon last man standing match. Tonight at 2300 est?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
it happened around five hours ago

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Watching the Last Man Standing now.

I think my only issue with Choco Pro (and it's neither a major one nor simply solvable) is that the format can be a bit of a barrier to entry for new viewers. If you're already on board, then Akki giving a fifteen minute bilingual intro is charming and part of what you're there for. If you're not, it can be a little impenetrable at first. I could see people going "okay... what am I watching?"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lamuella posted:

Watching the Last Man Standing now.

I think my only issue with Choco Pro (and it's neither a major one nor simply solvable) is that the format can be a bit of a barrier to entry for new viewers. If you're already on board, then Akki giving a fifteen minute bilingual intro is charming and part of what you're there for. If you're not, it can be a little impenetrable at first. I could see people going "okay... what am I watching?"

for me the intro is perfect time to gather my snacks and adjust my surroundings to pleasant. Its a nice change from DONT LOOK AWAY WE MIGHT DO SOMETHING EXCITING that a lot of wrestling shows do.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Lamuella posted:

True, but this also felt like an extreme case - usually you get Sakura and Akki doing the (way shorter) opening with Honda quipping behind the camera so it flows better.

Edit: Btw, the last bit of Choco Pro #9 watch party (pretty much when they stop watching the show) is worth the ~20 minutes of your time, especially when Sakura gets the Choco Godzilla patreon notification.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 5, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Akki rules and I want to know more about him

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Neodoomium posted:

Akki rules and I want to know more about him

same. I'm more or less convinced the entire chocopro crew lives in the same building as their venue. Akki shares an apartment with Honda and a common wall with Yunamon. Sometimes they tap to each other at night.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

So Ichigaya Chocolate Square used to be a dentists waiting room apparently; and then something led to it becoming a venue that Emi Sakura uses regularly for training and for very small shows. Its not a new thing; when Emi Sakura launched Ice Ribbon it was called the Itigaya Ice Box and they used it very regularly until 2009 until the purpose-built Ice Ribbon dojo was opened and then when she left Ice Ribbon to form Gatoh Move they went back to their roots and changed the name because, well, they didn't really want to reference Ice Ribbon with their new promotion. I've read that Emi lives very close to it and I imagine that with a promotion the size of Gatoh Move Akki may well live with her or someone else involved with the promotion (and who knows about Mei; she's always around though so it may well be a gang of three thing) but that could be wrong. For a lot of the others Gatoh Move is 100% a part-time thing and they have real jobs as well - for example Lulu Pencil is a legit freelance writer and she's written for IGN Japan a fair few times as an example.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah when Emi mentioned she lives nearby in one of the interview vids. And since they've been using the same crew for the chocopro shows in the middle of the lockdown I assumed they are living nearby as well.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Mei is apparently from Kyoto (at least that's what Sendai Girls announce for her and what cagematch says and I don't get why that's something you'd lie about) so unless she's earning a lot of money from the wrestling thing (she is a full time wrestler; works all over the place and is very well regarded) it'd make sense if Emi is putting her up.

Pretty sure proximity is a reason for why they're booking the Gatoh Move wrestlers they are: it might also be a thing of spreading dates out a little bit and perhaps prioritising people that could do with the bookings more: RinRin worked the first show but none since, Lulu only worked a couple of shows but some other people are working a lot more regularly than that while the outside people are 100% either Emi's pals (that's why Anton is on these shows; Masahiro Takanashi would also be all over them if he wasn't injured; Chris Brookes might count in this category as well since he seems to do the things because he enjoys doing them and they all like him) or outside talent that Emi has met over the years to give Akki some bucket list matches - how many people have wrestled both Minoru Suzuki and Masato Tanaka?

One story that people might like that's relevant to this thread about Mei. She worked Pro Wrestling EVE in London last November (I was there live, was a small round robin tournament that involved working four matches in two days wrestled a singles match against Jazz in what will be the most random match I probably will ever see) because Emi has connections with them and semi-regularly works there. Whenever a Gatoh Move wrestler works internationally she tends to go with them because she feels responsible for them but she couldn't do that this time because, well, she was working for some random obscure American promotion that they've kindly started promoting on their shows so she sent Lulu Pencil instead (and they ended up booking an unannounced Mei-Lulu match on the finals show it ruled). EVE run a venue that's a night club that does lots of burlesque shows so they typically have a performance before the main event of their shows which is often, well, rather risqué to put it mildly and Emi asked them if they could possibly put on some slightly less extreme performances because she didn't know if Mei would like it. Nice little story I think; I think it shows how much Emi seems to look out for her people.

Oh also the rankings are out:

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1257671485201637376?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so is anyone gonna tell Cody(don't tell Cody)

watching the Last Man Standing match now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh this match is about as insane as I'd imagine.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

What a loving match. Minoru Fujita would have broken me in 5 minutes flat. Yunamon is a badass. Book her big Emi.

e: omfg the post interview and the tournament

coconono fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 5, 2020

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

coconono posted:

e: omfg the post interview and the tournament

Fujita trying his damnedest to cheer Yunamon up after her loss just to turn around and win the janken game was just too good (poo poo, hidden just in case someone wants to go in unspoiled).

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 5, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

J-Ro posted:

Fujita trying his damnedest to cheer Yunamon up after her loss just to turn around and win the janken game was just too good (poo poo, hidden just in case someone wants to go in unspoiled).

Yeah seriously, the match was loving great. I didn't time but it was like 15 minutes plus of Yunamon doing her damndest to kill Minoru Fujita who goes from bemused to actually working hard because Yunamon is fuckin tank.

But the post segment was just as amazing. Just like the Suzuki show interview, you get some rampaging monster suddenly become very human. Fujita and Yunamon exchanging stories of woe and hardship was just as powerful as their match. I know that sounds dramatic but that's how excited this poo poo got me.

Fujita taking the Jankem tournament was either a happy accident or clever booking because either way it put him on the spot where he was obligated to book himself into a tag just to cheer up Yunamon, lol.

ChocoPro strongest AEW brand.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

if you don't do squats with the choco pro crew you're a bitch

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The lastest Gatoh Move Experience on Fite dropped today:

code:
Name of the event: Gatoh Move Japan Tour #403
Date: 12.01.2019
Arena: Ichigaya Chocolate Hiroba
Attendance: 70

Mitsuru Konno vs. An Chamu

Masahiro Takanashi vs. Mei Suruga

Emi Sakura, Riho & Sayaka Obihiro vs. Baliyan Akki, SAKI & Yuna Mizumori
I can not get over the fact that Mei's barely 8 months in at that point and having matches at this level. Takanashi having 16 years of experience and being trained by Ultimo Dragon definitely helps, but still... An Chamu's weird leg submission near the end of the match broke my brain. Main event is exactly what you'd expect from everyone involved, the Emi / Yunamon exchanges get slightly vicious.

No commentary, but all non-match interactions are subtitled which is nice.

Smoking Crow posted:

if you don't do squats with the choco pro crew you're a bitch

Hey! We're not here to judge, but qft.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 6, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Fun ChocoPro this morning. Akki is dressed as Brian May. Hopefully he'll avoid the bizarre gardening accident

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1258656804143276032?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Fujita's t-shirt is phenomenal holy poo poo.