Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3DFwAuAOoo

started playing Shenmue on my personal computer recently and its better than i ever expected. i have no clue how far in i am but the skinhead jumping Ryo in the arcade to eat his ticket to hong kong was one of the coolest video game cutscenes ive ever seen. ive also been continually being blown away by the detail they put into every single room in the game. every morning I grab a can of coffee from a vending machine and get to work. today I start my job at the harbor assuming Goro actually came through for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

does ANYBody know what theyre saying in the Bob's Pizzeria theme. its driving me insane.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcJeJIqca4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKm90g61xbc

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hell yes. It’s insane to me how much unique dialogue villagers in Dobuita have even about a quest even when they’ve nothing to do with that quest line. I really like Ryo’s dream of Lan Di just doing Kung Fu in the dark, feels like something you’d only get in a game with a very specific creator vision.

Hiya Ryoooo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the dreams are wicked sick and remind me of Pathologic lol.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I can’t help but think of Duncan’s GBS thread when I see this game. I’ll try and actually play these at some stage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me finding another bizarre detail on Shenmue or interaction like waiting for the bus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jBJfvdzxXU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Me finding another bizarre detail on Shenmue or interaction like waiting for the bus

I missed the bus once bc I was looking at my phone waiting for it to show up and realized gaming peaked 21 years ago.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Goro rules

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that you can find the police phone number but if you dial it ryo hangs up and says it’s for him to deal with lol

Also that era of menus owned not this slick Ux poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

I missed the bus once bc I was looking at my phone waiting for it to show up and realized gaming peaked 21 years ago.

Agreed

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

EmmyOk posted:

Hiya Ryoooo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Japanese developers are simply lightyears ahead of westerners

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue rules. It blew my socks off when I played it on Dreamcast at its release. I’m always happy to see others discovering and enjoying it, but it’s definitely not for everyone.

Enjoy the journey. Pray for Shenmue 4.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZy80khfFjE

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

In Training posted:

does ANYBody know what theyre saying in the Bob's Pizzeria theme. its driving me insane.
Bobuzu Pizza

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured since Goro was gonna get me a job in the harbor he also worked there but while I'm driving around busting my back 9-5 I just see him walking circles between Tom's hot dog stand and Hisaka's lunch counter

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

hes a classic guy who knows a guy

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Goro knows the best place to take a leak

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Found a guard standing 8 feet from some Mad Angels graffiti on a conspicuous door who said he's never heard of the Mad Angels.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Goro became a good guy after facing Ryo’s fists of justice

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I read somewhere that the developers looked up old weather forecasts from this prefecture for 1986 so the weather of each day in the game is accurate to what that day's weather was.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I read somewhere that the developers looked up old weather forecasts from this prefecture for 1986 so the weather of each day in the game is accurate to what that day's weather was.

the weather isnt real (i think its randomized?) but once you beat the game you can turn on historical weather patterns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

the weather isnt real (i think its randomized?) but once you beat the game you can turn on historical weather patterns

Insane

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Brass Hand posted:

I can’t help but think of Duncan’s GBS thread when I see this game. I’ll try and actually play these at some stage.

Me too can someone one hit an imp up with a link.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Christmas set up is cool as hell too and you can meet a Santa at night going home

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Me too can someone one hit an imp up with a link.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710941

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you, I read it again, thanks to you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1256925379316637696?s=21

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't really understand how the hell im supposed to be finding the mad angels in the harbor. Everybody says the same thing every day and there's no end in sight to these crates

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

I don't really understand how the hell im supposed to be finding the mad angels in the harbor. Everybody says the same thing every day and there's no end in sight to these crates

You’ve five days of work to do and just go around chatting in the evenings and lunch breaks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

You’ve five days of work to do and just go around chatting in the evenings and lunch breaks

nice, I think shits about to pop off. Caught the angels roughing up mark and I know where they gather at nights now. It's cool how this feels like a completely different game once you get a job bc you lose contact with all your friends and the days start bleeding together and all you do is work sleep and eat. Work sucks!!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol ya

There’s five days of work with an event each day so you can repeat days if you miss the event and tour next day will play out the same. This never happened me but it can happen. If you ever have two possible routes for stacking crates just alternate them

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah if you don’t follow the work route on the map, you’ll miss events and just repeat the same day over and over lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok thank you for the advice all. It turns out that I played the Route 2 day 3 times over bc I was hitting the quota and then playing Mario maker until the shift ended. I wasn't triggering the cutscene bc it happened at like 330 in the warehouse. I got punished by the game for being lazy on the job lol.