Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Hey Martin Truex, hope you enjoyed the time at home with your cancer-survivor girlfriend. Time to quarantine away from her until November!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Also like all the car owners are gonna die because they're old AF.

Except Smoke. He's too ornery to die.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

Also like all the car owners are gonna die because they're old AF.

Except Smoke. He's too ornery to die.

lol like any of them will show

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I swear to God if Michael Waltrip says "you encounter more people on a trip to Walmart" on air, I am calling the FCC on his rear end

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

May 17th- Cup at Darlington
May 19th- NXS at Darlington
May 20th- Cup at Darlington again

May 24th- Coke 600
May 25th- NXS at Charlotte
May 26th- Trucks at Charlotte
May 27th- Cup again (they're missing an opportunity here by not running this one on the roval)

Anybody else think this is NASCAR thinking whichever sport starts again first is going to get massive ratings and this is their chance to seize on that?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Too bad they'll gently caress this up, get the garage sick and be shut down in the fall, when the real TV windows might open up.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
16 people per team for a Cup race is 640 people and that's before you get to NASCAR officials, TV crews, other media, etc

I really don't see how they can do this safely.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody else think this is NASCAR thinking whichever sport starts again first is going to get massive ratings and this is their chance to seize on that?

That's definitely part of it, but it helps that racing is an isolated, individual sport to begin with. They'd be the most safe to restart first. Next would be golf and baseball, forgetting the locker room situations.

skaboomizzy posted:

The answer to that problem was solved in Space Jam!

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

They can't do it safely and the FAQ on NASCAR.com practically says so without saying so.

quote:

Is it safe for racing to resume?
NASCAR is working closely with health experts and government officials to ensure best practices and has a plan in place to minimize any risks associated with the virus.

They forgot the word "yes" in this answer.

quote:

How did NASCAR determine the number of team personnel allowed at the track?
NASCAR worked closely with teams to determine an at-track roster number that ensures the competition remains as strong as ever.

"We worked with teams to see how many people they thought they needed to bring. Social distancing was not part of this decision."

I know of a few people that have encouraged them not to start until June when more widespread rapid-testing is available, but NASCAR's not gonna wait.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

skaboomizzy posted:

The owners don't care about that at all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. Okay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's no way this is anything else.

And gently caress, it's probably going to result in me actually watching a Coke 600. :barf:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Too bad they'll gently caress this up, get the garage sick and be shut down in the fall, when the real TV windows might open up.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Are Suspended > NASCAR 2020: Too bad they'll gently caress this up

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

For god's sake this is your chance NASCAR, you're doing the same track twice in a week, it's time to run clockwise

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the same people who have managed through sheer luck not to have a car enter the grandstands for 30 years do not give one loving iota about safety

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the same people who have managed through sheer luck not to have a car enter the grandstands for 30 years

at least this won't be a problem now

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They should run at Bristol, stands are empty these days anyway.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What are you talking about PCM they've had plenty of spectator maimings

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

To be fair, the 600 last year was one of the best ones in...ever, I guess.

shame on an IGA posted:

For god's sake this is your chance NASCAR, you're doing the same track twice in a week, it's time to run clockwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdpGbKD9QQ

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ok also while I'm wishing, when sports come back all-Japanese booth teams should be mandatory

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Ok also while I'm wishing, when sports come back all-Japanese booth teams should be mandatory

The loving truth.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
This article gets a little more in-depth with the safety/health precautions they're taking:

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/0...s-with-a-twist/

That makes it sound like it can be done reasonably safe, but I still don't see how you can have pit stops or guys working on the car together and still maintain social distance

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

SwampYankee posted:

This article gets a little more in-depth with the safety/health precautions they're taking:

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/0...s-with-a-twist/

That makes it sound like it can be done reasonably safe, but I still don't see how you can have pit stops or guys working on the car together and still maintain social distance

(you cant)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Elitist Bitch posted:

Come back to discord pnut I miss your sense of humor :ohdear:

pretty bold of you to post this right after I got a 3 day probation

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1256630073001684992

I wonder which tracks are losing a date this year.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

hunnert car pileup posted:

at least this won't be a problem now

"Hey, you're right!"

*removes restrictor plates

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
UFC and stock cars back on the same weekend.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

mischief posted:

Atleast it will keep the chuds home for a few hours

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I have to imagine that just about every contract every which way is up in the air now that we've confirmed that they're not running every race. They cannot be substantially fulfilled.

Between economic outlook of the world in general and the downward trend of NASCAR, lots of parties would love to break their contracts, I'm sure.

Even if the May races do iron man numbers, NASCAR's survival is of concern.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Atleast it will keep the chuds home for a few hours

Go outside, honey. You're getting annoying.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pinecone Sample posted:

Even if the May races do iron man numbers, NASCAR's survival is of concern.

Is it too :tinfoil: to wonder out loud if the Sunday and Wednesday night iRacing shows on FOX/FS1 aren't, at least in part, testbeds to see if people would watch eRacing in lieu of the real thing?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mischief posted:

Go outside, honey. You're getting annoying.

:thunk:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it too :tinfoil: to wonder out loud if the Sunday and Wednesday night iRacing shows on FOX/FS1 aren't, at least in part, testbeds to see if people would watch eRacing in lieu of the real thing?

that is like :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

Maybe it is a test bed to running two shorter races a week rather than 1 long as garbage pile on a Sunday? Say 250's in a week, Wed and Sun, rather than 1 500 mile race? I think Indy does it right, like a Saturday/Sunday double header at some tracks? If they ran a Texas 250 on a Wed night and then a 250 on a Sun afternoon this time of year I think that would work out nicely.

Probably a lot of strain on teams, especially the small ones, to get done with a race on Sunday and have another car ready to go that Wednesday but I think the shorter races, and one on a weekday, would be pretty fun to watch.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mischief posted:

to be fair, those two fanbases were dying off on their own before they end up catching covid

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
They should just limit 'em to four people per team; driver, hauler driver, spotter, and one mechanic. Owners can watch on TV like everyone else. If they don't want to attempt real-time one-man pit stops, split the race into stages shorter than a fuel run and have a fifteen-minute break in between each, like the original Truck races back in the day.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Maybe it is a test bed to running two shorter races a week rather than 1 long as garbage pile on a Sunday? Say 250's in a week, Wed and Sun, rather than 1 500 mile race? I think Indy does it right, like a Saturday/Sunday double header at some tracks? If they ran a Texas 250 on a Wed night and then a 250 on a Sun afternoon this time of year I think that would work out nicely.

Probably a lot of strain on teams, especially the small ones, to get done with a race on Sunday and have another car ready to go that Wednesday but I think the shorter races, and one on a weekday, would be pretty fun to watch.

This explanation makes more sense. I'm liking the shorter length of the Sunday race, as it's usually done in under 2 hours.

E- I wondered about the logistics as well. Maybe the weekend races are held around the country and the Wednesday races are somewhere relatively close to Charlotte to somehow create a one-day show.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 3, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If they do go to short races I think they should dump impound weekends, let the teams go all out in quals because it's going to matter a lot more.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
one car, one engine, one setup, just impound everything and haul it around until there is only one car left. congrats, thats your champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
just race the fuckin haulers