Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh drat lamp oil sounds like a good idea. I'll start using that I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You can turn the tainted bones of a butchered Zed into charcoal with the right equipment as well.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Unless you need some serious wood burning, I'd suggest replacing that stove with a simple oil-lamp cooker. Lamp Oil is an easily renewable resource, just butcher some zombies and render the fat into tallow and the tallow into oil.

You are a disgusting monster and I would never visit your home

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can turn the tainted bones of a butchered Zed into charcoal with the right equipment as well.

wtf stop it you guys its a perfectly good wood stove that can burn WOOD

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pryor on Fire posted:

wtf stop it you guys its a perfectly good wood stove that can burn WOOD

Look, you shot that zombie. You killed that zombie.

Don't let it go to waste. A real survivor uses every part of the zombie.

Seriously, though, one of these days I need to do a "Innawoods" survival game of Cataclysm with the city spawns set to zilch and start out naked and alone or something dumb like that. Treat it like its Unreal World or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I use every part of the zombie when I chop it up and throw it into my oven to fuel the flames.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So lockpicking is its own skill now and so far a single pick (and destroying it) I got 8% of a level. And there are no books. This is why I got a halligan bar.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Charcoal is good even with a wooden stove because you can use the smoking rack, which works while you do other stuff and I believe also counts for other cooking recipes, meaning you don't need to keep feeding the fire or lighting your stove up to cook.

It remains useful, because smoked sausage is the bee's knees.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Starting to sort out all the crap in my shelter, deciding what to load up into my mostly ready-to-roll mobile base and I've apparently managed to collect nearly 90 lbs of bar soap...

[edit] :3:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 2, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Charcoal is good even with a wooden stove because you can use the smoking rack, which works while you do other stuff and I believe also counts for other cooking recipes, meaning you don't need to keep feeding the fire or lighting your stove up to cook.

It remains useful, because smoked sausage is the bee's knees.
I really wish other prolonged crafts that don't need supervision could work like this. Yeah, boiling an entire drum's worth of water is going to take a very, very long time. No, I don't need to stand next to it staring into it unblinking the entire time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Found a survivor with 8 archery... and 5 strength :haw:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leal posted:

So lockpicking is its own skill now and so far a single pick (and destroying it) I got 8% of a level. And there are no books. This is why I got a halligan bar.

It's also frustrating because that used to be a way to train up mechanics if I remember correctly.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've just been brute forcing it by smashing cars and making like 30 improvised lockpicks at a time since all you need is scraps and a steel chunk to use as a hammer and they take next to no space in a bag. Doesn't seem to be any penalty to just cramming metal in there until the lock finally chokes on it?

Wait I think I did find the MT guide to lock picking or something like that somewhere. Only raised the skill to like 2 though.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 2, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got a blade arm now, and I've become a cyber warrior. I need to find a pain suppressing CBM though, and if it exists, something for stamina.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Seriously, though, one of these days I need to do a "Innawoods" survival game of Cataclysm with the city spawns set to zilch and start out naked and alone or something dumb like that. Treat it like its Unreal World or something.

I've done this. Fun, but keeping warm is pretty trivial. What kills you is that without shelter you get the wet morale malus any time it rains and get so depressed your character refuses to do anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arven posted:

I've done this. Fun, but keeping warm is pretty trivial. What kills you is that without shelter you get the wet morale malus any time it rains and get so depressed your character refuses to do anything.

Use a towel (in shelter)? Make a waterproof leather cloak?

If anyone doesn't know, you can use a towel to instantly remove wet status form your character. This also works when you're blinded by boomer slime blasts.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 2, 2020

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Isn't there also a perk you can take at chargen that modifies the wet penalty? Outdoorsman IIRC, but I haven't looked at any recent versions.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Where is power armor most likely to spawn? It'll be the final piece of my Cyber bear-man journey.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish other prolonged crafts that don't need supervision could work like this. Yeah, boiling an entire drum's worth of water is going to take a very, very long time. No, I don't need to stand next to it staring into it unblinking the entire time.

Yeah. I don't know if it is still in, but the multicooker did this and it owned but was super rare to find. I also wish I could let my npc buddies cook. Like tell them to keep X number of Y things on hand, and they'll automatically spend time using the resources I bring in to make them and throw it all in the fridge.

The problem has gotten worse because as the game has gotten more involved the simulation takes longer and longer, so a long craft can be just you looking at the second monitor for like 2 minutes while your character spends a day doing something. If the NPC's could do it then I could be off playing the game more. Kinda running into this with my cyborg friends. I have to stay by the auto doc for it to remove implants from them, so after freeing 2 npc's it's gotten to the point where I'm out of things in the area to disassemble and drag back to my car for future projects.

Still worth it, they all have kinda crap stats, but I love my rag tag bunch of cyber men and a women, Including one who somehow forgot she was a cyborg and has a hilarious origin story she tells about dreaming about the cataclysm and talking to their psychic.

On the upside, other NPC tasks work great in the simulation. In fact it's easier to chop a car up if I set them on task and leave for a day then if I stick around, they'll just stop after a few hours and I have to go find the part they are stuck on and remove it. More stuff in the midgame should be like that loop. Set your buddies on a task, go loot and explore, come back to check in on them and tow a fresh vehicle into the chop shop.

Dandywalken posted:

Got a blade arm now, and I've become a cyber warrior. I need to find a pain suppressing CBM though, and if it exists, something for stamina.

Both of those exist. The blood oxygenator lets you regen stamina faster for power, and it kicks in automatically when you drown, letting you breathe underwater. The pain suppressing CBM is called a sensory dulling or something, and it's great because it will remove the need for anesthetic, as well. Your survivor will just sit there, motionless, counting the ceiling tiles as the auto dock carves their eyes open. It's metal.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 2, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm having keybinding problems. Arrow keys, specifically. My numpad bindings don't seem to work in all menus, I have to use the main keyboard arrow keys for some things, and yet when I look at the keybindings and even press the numpad ones, it tells me that that key's already bound as 8/4/6/2 or whatever? And it works most of the time.

One particularly annoying place where this happens is on the which limb? bandaging screen, if that's a common problem.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My main problem with NPCs doing activities is that I can make them build walls, fix cars, chop cars, butcher a hundred zombie corpses.

But I can't make them dig a hole in the floor since they removed "dig a pit" from the construction menu.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Starting to sort out all the crap in my shelter, deciding what to load up into my mostly ready-to-roll mobile base and I've apparently managed to collect nearly 90 lbs of bar soap...

[edit] :3:

it's been a while since i played but what, in the context of cataclysm, does toilet paper do?

did they rework the nutrition system that much, or is it just a source of paper/trade good or something?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Isn't there also a perk you can take at chargen that modifies the wet penalty? Outdoorsman IIRC, but I haven't looked at any recent versions.

Outdoorsman does this, or you can start as an escaped experiment and take Phelloderm, which strongly reduces wet penalties and also gives you something else (either reduced thirst or a bit of damage resistance, if I remember right).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's been a while since i played but what, in the context of cataclysm, does toilet paper do?

did they rework the nutrition system that much, or is it just a source of paper/trade good or something?
Afaik it does nothing and is just a novelty item you can hoard

On the upside, other NPC tasks work great in the simulation. In fact it's easier to chop a car up if I set them on task and leave for a day then if I stick around, they'll just stop after a few hours and I have to go find the part they are stuck on and remove it. More stuff in the midgame should be like that loop. Set your buddies on a task, go loot and explore, come back to check in on them and tow a fresh vehicle into the chop shop.
Do NPCs need the skills to complete such tasks? I have a couple of heavy vehicles in my base that need to be scrapped down and I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. As you say I'd much rather be out and about

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I mean yeah, but that totally negates all the challenge of doing a no-city game.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Leal posted:

Found a survivor with 8 archery... and 5 strength :haw:

He can flawlessly nail every zombie with those little suction cup arrows from a nerf bow.

But yeah, in cataclysm those who can't do: teach.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 2, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Afaik it does nothing and is just a novelty item you can hoard

Do NPCs need the skills to complete such tasks? I have a couple of heavy vehicles in my base that need to be scrapped down and I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. As you say I'd much rather be out and about

Yes, but if you have the books for the skills, and the npc can read, then you can give it to them and tell them to read from it, and they'll read till they get a level. I just put my NPC's on a few days of reading mechanics and electronics, which covers most tasks with chopping cars. Do set them on the task before you leave the area, NPC's tend to stop for various reasons and can be finicky if you're in the area, but leave and come back and they'll have worked as if it was a constant effort. Good for cutting forests too, plenty of charcoal tinder to be gotten, or lumber as you can have them make planks too.

edit: 5 str is enough for a few bows, self bow, compound bows (low) (the kind you can loot), shortbow takes 4, making it usable even if they get pained. There's a few str 5 bows too:

https://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Bows

Also the slingshot works as an archery weapon. It's not super effective, but to be honest I don't trust NPC's with high damage weapons. As much as I'm sure they don't trust me with my rifle, considering how many times I've winged them in battle.

edit 2: Oh NPC's can train skills as well. It's not as powerful as it once was where you'd get an entire level, but given time they can boost your own skills up at higher levels where practice is harder to come by, like I have an NPC with high dodge that I've gleaned a level off from asking them a few times a day to train me.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
love me the kung fu montage of grizzled american survivalists attempting to wheedle other grizzed american survivalists into teaching them their dodging techniques and being denied every day because its forbidden knowledge.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yes, but if you have the books for the skills, and the npc can read, then you can give it to them and tell them to read from it, and they'll read till they get a level. I just put my NPC's on a few days of reading mechanics and electronics, which covers most tasks with chopping cars. Do set them on the task before you leave the area, NPC's tend to stop for various reasons and can be finicky if you're in the area, but leave and come back and they'll have worked as if it was a constant effort. Good for cutting forests too, plenty of charcoal tinder to be gotten, or lumber as you can have them make planks too.
Thanks for the info! I'll try to get my NPC to read some stuff while I'm currently busy with base building and maintenance. And then I'll try to get them on a task when I head out again. Though I assume I also need to give them them a toolbox and welding equipment+tool to make it work?

Also, is there any negative effect to having a fridge/freezer outside of a house? I'm currently making a couple large storage batts and while thinking about how I'll expand my solar station I wondered if I could just add a fridge/freezer to it instead of using a cable to get power into my house and set it up there

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You could punch out a window and route the "vehicle" through it :v:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the info! I'll try to get my NPC to read some stuff while I'm currently busy with base building and maintenance. And then I'll try to get them on a task when I head out again. Though I assume I also need to give them them a toolbox and welding equipment+tool to make it work?

Also, is there any negative effect to having a fridge/freezer outside of a house? I'm currently making a couple large storage batts and while thinking about how I'll expand my solar station I wondered if I could just add a fridge/freezer to it instead of using a cable to get power into my house and set it up there

I used a tool box, later I made survivor toolbelts for each npc. I haven't had much luck getting them to weld, I might try again if I can scrounge a power source and a toolset cbm for one of them.

Outside temp does make some difference. When I came across 5 fresh dead cows I rapidly deployed a vehicle cooler in my basement I lived in and it froze everything down there, including stuff in my fridge before I got it's own room dug out with a door on it.

I think that at some point that works out better than even the large aftershock full sized freezers for long term storage. You can fill the freezer with warehouse shelves and it'll hold like 3k plus liters per tile? And you could keep a very large number of those frozen with just one vehicle cooler.

As for transfering power, on the same z level you can just run a vehicle frame through a window or doorway. Not a good idea for the cooler as you kinda want to contain it's cold air, but works fine for most other things. A jumper cable will work for just a z level or transfer, and industrial cables work great.

They are also easy to find, look for recycling centers, they have a ton of jumper cables and usually a few industrial cables. Butcher the ones that aren't full lenght and rebuild them afterwards. You'll have a ton easily enough.

Motherfucker posted:

love me the kung fu montage of grizzled american survivalists attempting to wheedle other grizzed american survivalists into teaching them their dodging techniques and being denied every day because its forbidden knowledge.

It's even funnier because it was a NPC who's half fish and likes mutagen teaching a dragon who escaped a prison island as a political prisoner. I don't think I've managed to find a classic NPC yet. There was a farmer, but he died fighting zombies in the barn I found the dead cows in. Everyone else is a bunch of beep boops I tool the broken parts out of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got a decent amount of perfect upgraded solar panels and a book to make vehicle welder kits. Now to slowly build the outdoor garage welder kit to inside the house and get me a kitchen unit and fridge.

I got a jumper cable CBM but I can't seem to find any, for a while I had the cables in my crafting list but when I finally got the needed wires the recipe is just gone :confused:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I want deathmobile designs, I poached an almost pristine atomic SUV and with just enough components for military composite armor I made the whole front bumper into a milcomposite ram and plated the front half. also installed an RV kitchen thing and a minifridge, plus a bed by removing all of the three seats in the second row.

Currently looking for more components for military composite plates but with the ram alone I've cleared out nearly a whole city. There's far, far more than enough scrap metal to weld together into a heavy duty frame for the rear as well, which helps because with electric motors inertia in reverse is almost as important as inertia for forward motion as far as zombie crushing is concerned.

And THEN, I found two military vehicles, both with intact turret mounts, one with a Mk19 and the other with an M240, and holy mother gently caress I torched an entire office tower of zombies with the combination. Unfortunately ammo is scarce and I'm not sure how to make new grenade belts/7.62 ammo belts which is apparently what I need to reload them with--even if I could find the 40mm grenades for the latter to start.

So anyway, I need some ideas because making a death bus is kinda 0.3 and I'm all about highly mobile indestructible micro murdermachines atm. What should I be planning for outside of the above? :getin:

E: I also found a couple solar panels which I installed so that I could let the reactor sit for a bit, also put in a 60L tank for clean water and a faucet I hacked together out of some poo poo, so free drinks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My Mobile Base hardly qualifies as a "death mobile", being a modded VW T2 Bus, but I'll post it anyways. :v:

The Z-Groover:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I consider an essential part of a mobile base being able to close up the back so that you can't see in/out. Otherwise I always get interrupted while sleeping/crafting.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

:toot:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Am I missing a setting for NPCs to make them stick to single shot? They keep using auto and destroying poo poo

Hey found a ruger 14 which is single shot only and uses these thousands of 5.56 rounds I got laying around.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 3, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Lone Badger posted:

I consider an essential part of a mobile base being able to close up the back so that you can't see in/out. Otherwise I always get interrupted while sleeping/crafting.

All the windows and doors on my van have curtains (on the windows) or aisle curtains (where normal curtains can't go).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The best deathmobile I ever made was 7 tiles wide and 10 long. It bristled with turrets and menaced with spikes of metal, and it could push anything out of the way, or just ram right through it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You know, if they keep up development long enough and continue with the NPC advances, the endgame enemies aren't going to be zombies or aliens or anything, it's going to be rival gangs of equally crazy survivors and their deathmobiles.