Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I thought RE3 remake was awesome. So. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm a couple of hours into R3make and struggling to maintain interest. There just doesn't seem to be any real exploration or atmosphere, just a lot of linear levels and scripted Nemesis fights. I loved how on RE2make you could backtrack all the way from the cable car to the police station, it really gave the game a sense of being a real place that this just doesn't. Also it's weirdly stuttery on my PC whilst RE2make ran just fine at almost max settings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Thinking back, what I loved most about RE2 Re make was learning routes and ways of building shortcuts.

And RE3 doesn't have much of that. And that's really a shame.

But on the flip side, RE2 had some really long tedious bits (the slog through the sewers, Ada or Sherry's bit) that whenever you have to replay you go "oh no. This part coming up sucks."

And RE3 doesn't really have bits like those apart from maybe the very start or the head rolling downtown. So while a shorter ride, it is much smoother than 2.

And my other favourite bits of RE2 are when it leans into the metal and goes all out badass. And RE3 outdoes it there, particularly the Aliens/Anime style last fight.

I honestly had a lot of fun paying through the game, unlocking stuff and doing it again on harder difficulties. So I feel like I got my money's worth.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Fhqwhgads posted:

The first runthroughs blind are what it should be judged off of. In that I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed RE2 more. Once I unlocked everything, an Inferno runthrough took me under an hour. I laughed at that "Leon's 69th playthrough" video until I did literally that to S rank everything in an hour each time. Even unlocking everything in RE2, getting an S+ on Hardcore was a little more anxiety inducing. I think I spent more total time on RE2 than RE3 with all the extra playthroughs.

In that case, a little over 6 hours for RE2 and a little under 4 for RE3. RE2 had a lot more routing going on that kept me occupied while Mr. X was still a new threat, while RE3 just doesn't. It's an alright game, and I'll probably play more of it, but it's not worth 60$. 30 seems way more reasonable to me for what you get.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

$30 is the price point I'm waiting for after all the discussion on here. I got more money's worth out of RE2make because I'm pretty slow at all the windy area traversal puzzles, but I'm guessing I'll be closer to an average playtime for 3.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rikimaru posted:

I thought RE3 remake was awesome. So. Yeah.

Same. I enjoyed it a ton.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm pretty slow at all the windy area traversal puzzles, but I'm guessing I'll be closer to an average playtime for 3.
Yeah, there just isn't a whole lot of that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Resident Evil 3's set-pieces were just similar enough to where most of the city just looks like the same city, the Hospital was nice, but the sewers and lab looked like the same sewers and lab in 2 more or less.

In Resident Evil 4, you had the "Village/Countryside" where one area was a huge survival brawl at the beginning of the game, then you had a the Church/Graveyard, a cliffside, another survival scene inside a house, a giant cliffside area after you get the riffle for the first time and it becomes a sniping haven, a large loving lake, some caves, and all sorts of other smaller areas that make the Village feel much different from itself while technically being the same set-piece. Then you get to the Castle and even in there they shake it up a ton with a giant lava pit underground

If they'd spent another year or two designing set pieces for RE3 I think it would've been much better. They could've added places like a giant supermarket/Costco type place covered in zombies and collapsed aisles when you're low on ammo to make you really think about the best way to get through the area, a larger parking garage with Nemesis plowing through cars and walls and constantly changing the layout as you try and escape him, maybe a large park somewhere in there with packs of dogs and very little cover; the City itself was pretty narrow and they only really took a detour for the spider area.

The hospital was probably my favorite part of the game. The sewers in 2 were my absolute least favorite because they were so large and sprawling and easy to get turned around in, but in 3 they were largely forgettable because it was just Point A > Point B with some side rooms. The lab was just as forgettable to me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I agree, personally. The hospital was one of the strongest parts of RE3make, which is kind of surprising, because it's such a non-entity in the classic game. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's also the part of the game that plays the most like RE2make did, so I think that's not without reason.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Starting up RE7 to see how it holds up after enjoying RE2make again, it was my second favorite beforehand but I also haven't really replayed it since launch. Interesting how different it feels from the start, I'll be curious to see how the first-person viewpoint fares immediately after really good third-person.
Also I forgot how interesting the whole "find a videotape, then actively play through what's on it" mechanic is. That's a neat conceit and a good way to give you little tidbits of different gameplay.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Captain Hygiene posted:

$30 is the price point I'm waiting for after all the discussion on here.

I think this is the right call and wish I hadn't paid full price. In general though I think $80 (:canada:) is too much money for most games especially ones that are a single player campaign.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I personally tend to think that single player campaigns deserve it more. At least those involve a lot of writing, voice acting and scenario scripting and all that. Multiplayer games tend to be very "make your own fun" which just seems to me like there's less production values and effort invested, although I suppose you get more out of it in terms of hours of play time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also I forgot how interesting the whole "find a videotape, then actively play through what's on it" mechanic is. That's a neat conceit and a good way to give you little tidbits of different gameplay.

Yeah its alright if you dont poo poo your pants, gently caress that poo poo man. Why am I, a complete agnostic about everything, get creeped out by imaginary video game and movie poo poo?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That's fair. I guess to me it depends on total hours I'll get out of a game as opposed to single vs. multi, now that I think about it. I'll pay $80 for XCOM or whatever because I'll play it for hours and hours. RE3 on the other hand, I played through it once, and will eventually play through it again I guess, but yeah so far I got about 6 hours out of it and maybe 6 more in a very bad multiplayer game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

codo27 posted:

Yeah its alright if you dont poo poo your pants, gently caress that poo poo man. Why am I, a complete agnostic about everything, get creeped out by imaginary video game and movie poo poo?

There's usually enough of a disconnect while controlling a game that I'm unsettled more than outright scared in stuff like this (although I haven't really gone for any truly SpOoOkY series). I will say though, I'd forgotten how...visceral some of the hand damage you sustain early on is, I don't think a game has ever made me clench so hard. So maybe I'm forgetting some scarier stuff along the way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

That's fair. I guess to me it depends on total hours I'll get out of a game as opposed to single vs. multi, now that I think about it.
I find that very understandable. It's not as easy as saying that more hours = better game, but there's a certain minimum amount of content I expect a full-price game to have before I feel cheated and like I didn't get my money's worth. RE3make is certainly one of those - if it came bundled together with RE2make, the way it was apparently originally planned, I would say that together, they are worth 60+$ easily. Standalone, they're both short enough to come across as a bit anemic.

codo27 posted:

It's really intense and I absolutely loved it as an alternative to non-interactive cutscenes or badly interactive QTEs in cutscenes.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

klapman posted:

In that case, a little over 6 hours for RE2 and a little under 4 for RE3. RE2 had a lot more routing going on that kept me occupied while Mr. X was still a new threat, while RE3 just doesn't. It's an alright game, and I'll probably play more of it, but it's not worth 60$. 30 seems way more reasonable to me for what you get.

Under 4 hours for a blind run seems pretty fast. I don't even know how you'd get that unless you guessed the right routes, skipped cutscenes, did very little inventory management, didn't read files etc.

Regardless, I think a pretty large boon of the game is that it has the best hard mode I've ever played in a game (I mean nightmare, not hardcore.) It feels really fresh. RE7's nightmare mode was solid too but I think it stopped having any real encounter changes after the Baker estate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Holy poo poo, apparently I never got caught enough early on in my first playthrough to see Jack hack off my foot, then let me pick it up as an item and smirkily let me have a super heal potion to graft it back on my leg :stonklol:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Holy poo poo, apparently I never got caught enough early on in my first playthrough to see Jack hack off my foot, then let me pick it up as an item and smirkily let me have a super heal potion to graft it back on my leg :stonklol:
The first time that happened to me, it completely blew my mind. I hadn't ever seen that happen to anyone else before.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Scissorfighter posted:

Under 4 hours for a blind run seems pretty fast. I don't even know how you'd get that unless you guessed the right routes, skipped cutscenes, did very little inventory management, didn't read files etc.

Regardless, I think a pretty large boon of the game is that it has the best hard mode I've ever played in a game (I mean nightmare, not hardcore.) It feels really fresh. RE7's nightmare mode was solid too but I think it stopped having any real encounter changes after the Baker estate.

I'm going by the time reported by the game, which I now remember doesn't count cutscenes. As for the rest, I played RE2 a lot:

and was super familiar with the engine and gameplay style. I'm also really used to perfect dodge systems from Platinum games, so I was able to use that effectively almost immediately on Standard difficulty. As for inventory management, I got just about every item in the game and unlocked every lock. The areas are small, and since most of the locked stuff either requires bolt cutters (obvious from their use in RE2) or are very obviously lit up locks, I knew exactly what I'd need to go back and get whatever was in there, and knew how much ammo/healing I'd need to make it.

Nightmare sounds fun though, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I am surprised that scene wasn't mandatory because a lot of people (including myself) miss it.

Though TBH it feels like a tutorial for a game mechanic that doesn't exist in the main game. Like between the opening and that it felt like "you can lose your limbs" was going to be a thing and they just cut it out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Though TBH it feels like a tutorial for a game mechanic that doesn't exist in the main game. Like between the opening and that it felt like "you can lose your limbs" was going to be a thing and they just cut it out.

Oh yeah, I didn't really think about it the first time but with that second scene it absolutely feels like that. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get it wrong and have it be an annoyance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't really think about it the first time but with that second scene it absolutely feels like that. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get it wrong and have it be an annoyance.

Honestly I suspect that is why they would have cut it out (if it even existed.) Reducing the protagonist to crawling around until they can find green glue for their leg is the kind of idea that sounds cool on paper but absolutely horrid to play.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Captain Hygiene posted:

Starting up RE7 to see how it holds up after enjoying RE2make again, it was my second favorite beforehand but I also haven't really replayed it since launch. Interesting how different it feels from the start, I'll be curious to see how the first-person viewpoint fares immediately after really good third-person.

i thought the video tape concept was kind of interesting the first time and before the game was over became something i never wanted to do ever again, and something i wished was entirely skippable on replays.

also on the topic of RE3 i agree with whoever mentioned the pace of the thread as the best indicator of how people felt about the game. i think even if you liked it there's just not a lot to keep people coming back. or maybe it just didnt do as well as RE2 remake? i don't know, but i remember that game having a long tail of people coming in here and discussing their hardcore speed runs or just playthroughs in general that it feels like RE3R hasnt had

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i thought the video tape concept was kind of interesting the first time and before the game was over became something i never wanted to do ever again, and something i wished was entirely skippable on replays.

I forgot about it enough that I'm not sure whether or not it wore me down over time. I do want to skip the second one, but that's because it switches to a weak character/instafail stealth run, which is something I believe I hate without exception in any game that tries it :arghfist:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fired up 7 again. I bought it, I dunno almost 2 years ago now? My savegame is at like 90 minutes. It takes so long before I can go back and play after I do, that I forget where I am. I thought I was at the tape where you are the girl evading the old hag. That was long ago. I walked outside the save room and there was a very uninviting set of stairs beneath me. I guess those things down there are what you call the molded? Look like regenerators but...not? I tried to keep telling myself "its just RE, its just RE" and I dispatched them quite quickly but just moving around room to room is too unnerving to me. Doesn't help you run so god drat slow. I had to shut it off again after like 10 minutes. gently caress the dog heads. I'll find em another time. I did pick up a key that opens grandmas room apparently. Not the least bit interested in heading back up to try that out either.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finished REMake in 10 hours and found two files at odds with each other. Is it the Progenitor virus or the Primogenitor virus?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

codo27 posted:

Fired up 7 again. I bought it, I dunno almost 2 years ago now? My savegame is at like 90 minutes. It takes so long before I can go back and play after I do, that I forget where I am. I thought I was at the tape where you are the girl evading the old hag. That was long ago. I walked outside the save room and there was a very uninviting set of stairs beneath me. I guess those things down there are what you call the molded? Look like regenerators but...not? I tried to keep telling myself "its just RE, its just RE" and I dispatched them quite quickly but just moving around room to room is too unnerving to me. Doesn't help you run so god drat slow. I had to shut it off again after like 10 minutes. gently caress the dog heads. I'll find em another time. I did pick up a key that opens grandmas room apparently. Not the least bit interested in heading back up to try that out either.

Once you realize that blocking negates a lot of damage, they aren't so bad. You got this. The spookiest thing to me is the enemies that follow you, but they don't really follow you until you "activate" them.

I don't remember there being too many jumpscares.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I am surprised that scene wasn't mandatory because a lot of people (including myself) miss it.

It's very rare, but you CAN get your leg lopped off by the big-armed Molded. By which I mean, it's happened to me exactly once over the many times I played through the game, then I saw it happen to a friend once when he streamed the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DanielCross posted:

It's very rare, but you CAN get your leg lopped off by the big-armed Molded. By which I mean, it's happened to me exactly once over the many times I played through the game, then I saw it happen to a friend once when he streamed the game.

Wow, really? That's amazing.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdSLk7Fw6w

Not my video, but coincidentally, this happens to be the room it happened to me in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's insane. It's a shame Ethan's essentially a nobody thanks to the game's presentation, I'm just imagining Leon constantly making dumb wisecracks while sewing his body parts back together, and it's something I really wanna see

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil32020/mods/185

now we're cookin

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

also on the topic of RE3 i agree with whoever mentioned the pace of the thread as the best indicator of how people felt about the game. i think even if you liked it there's just not a lot to keep people coming back. or maybe it just didnt do as well as RE2 remake? i don't know, but i remember that game having a long tail of people coming in here and discussing their hardcore speed runs or just playthroughs in general that it feels like RE3R hasnt had

It is entirely skippable on replays. You can pull the secret lever if you know where it is and the code from the puzzle tape is all you need to know it solve it. The other tape is just optional and doesn't have any important info on it beyond letting you peek at an area that you haven't been to yet. So out of four tapes only one is a continuation of the gameplay and just part of the story.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 3, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Finished REMake in 10 hours and found two files at odds with each other. Is it the Progenitor virus or the Primogenitor virus?

progenitor is the first version of the virus that umbrella did, that was gonna be in a version of re4 and i think primogenitor is the one thats in the flowers in re5 which is the primal base

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That flat facial expression is what really sells it. BOWs have layers for sure.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DanielCross posted:

Happened to me once while playing on Madhouse - quite a surprise to be sure.

I also only recently discovered you can in fact shoot Marguerite enough to get her to run away and leave you alone in the old house.

I now only have to do a no item box (not counting the three mandatory openings) run and that’s RE7 100%’ed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SettingSun posted:

Same. I enjoyed it a ton.

I'm in also and (mostly) don't regret the purchase but feel like Capcom should toss some free DLC our way even if they're just side chapters. Was that Marvin at the RCPD entrance getting bit?

I like it RE3 remake LESS than RE2 remake but am still enjoying it and LOVE having head shots work again along with the return of exploding barrels. I get a little tired of the "run from everything" strategy that RE2 remake uses and sometimes have fun just wasting fuckers. Zombie's heads aren't rucking cinder blocks in this game.

Having said that, second run on normal/assisted with the AR and it's WAY too loving easy. I'm drowning in weapons headed to the hospital and haven't died once so I guess on run #3 I'll up the difficulty and and turn off assisted aim along with whatever poo poo I can buy from the shop. Do those purchases stack? Meaning on my 2nd run, I got the bolt cutters and lockpick so on run #3 are they already available?

You guys sure the gun wii controller on RE4 isn't worth it because it seems like it would be a natural fit. Use the nunchuck to move and aim with the gun sounds like fun.

Glad I FINALLY use for my Wii in quarantine, BTW. It's been sitting there for years and now me and my son are playing Zelda: Twilight Princess and he can't wait to do RE4. Good times during horrible times.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I had the RE4 Chainsaw for a long time and it is very not worth it for anything besides a collector's prop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys sure the gun wii controller on RE4 isn't worth it because it seems like it would be a natural fit. Use the nunchuck to move and aim with the gun sounds like fun.

It's not from personal experience for me, I never tried one because locking the nunchuck *behind* the wiimote just looked like it'd be an uncomfortable position to deal with permanently. For me, not locking the controls together was a big part of what made motion aiming fun to use.