Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Um, why would you let him read your diary? What is there to gain from that? Scratch that, why would HE like to read your diary?

Because this is the only way he can communicate information, both to other characters and to the audience, in this "no dialogue" comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 29, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hahahaha holy gently caress.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just noticed Snout is circumcised in that pic when I'm pretty sure he wasn't in earlier strips. That or his dick is a finger.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Kavak posted:

I just noticed Snout is circumcised in that pic when I'm pretty sure he wasn't in earlier strips. That or his dick is a finger.

He put a piece of salami on his dick to trick you, like Joey on "Friends." That or Mookie is an inconsistent hack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The solid monotesticle is still the most horrific thing about this comic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's like a bar of soap.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Fister Roboto posted:

The solid monotesticle is still the most horrific thing about this comic.

Maybe he had testicular cancer.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe he had testicular cancer.

Reminds me of another funny Shortpacked! mentioned on YWIBAYSFB

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There was incest in funky winkerbean?? :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Who What Now posted:

There was incest in funky winkerbean?? :psyduck:

Not explicitly, but the two blond-haired people in that strip (brother and sisters) were very close, and often gave each other Looks. With a capital L. i.e. not the kind of look one usually gives to their sibling.

(If you're interested, come on over to the Comic Strip Megathread, I'm sure someone over there can regale you with the full story.)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Is the Ink Witch blatantly manipulating Snout actually...canon? and that week of Snout writing down questions actually had a purpose? This page actually ain't bad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Either way Snout is exceptionally dumb for going along with it. The question is whether Mookie intended for him to come off that dumb.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

boy it's a good thing insert name here ceases to exist whenever the camera isn't looking at her or she might have tried to do something to prevent this

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

How...does that ink work there...he wiped ink across the words and then...wrote in white-out? Are the white letters negative space where he removed ink? How are we not seeing the original letters underneath? Did he write this with his finger? Snout has a pen!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He's an ink warlock, obviously.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now I’m just imagining that there’s probably sectarian violence between the different groups of inkmancers based on what type of ink they use for their magic.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Why do they all have the same handwriting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, even Arudak doesn't know her name?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ink Witch powers are passed down from one person to the other. For each generation there's only one Ink Witch, so when they get their powers they shed their old name and become just "The Ink Witch".

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just assumed they knew Snout called her Ink Witch and they told with it. Her real name is probably some sort of unholy marriage of Welsh and Russian.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ague Proof posted:

Why do they all have the same handwriting.

Fonts.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

oriongates posted:

How...does that ink work there...he wiped ink across the words and then...wrote in white-out? Are the white letters negative space where he removed ink? How are we not seeing the original letters underneath? Did he write this with his finger? Snout has a pen!

The implication by Mookie is that the ink on this page, which Snout has been carrying for weeks, is somehow still wet yet has not smudged. Arudak smeared the ink with the pad of his finger, and then scraped the ink away from the paper with that claw (which orcs do not have) Mookie conspicuously emphasized in the penultimate panel. He did not use ink magic to rearrange the letters (hey, why the hell not? Maybe that could provide a reason why he and inkwich are fighting: they are both inkmancers) which is why his finger has poo poo on it.

Inkwich actually manipulating Snout would be too close to something that would happen in a real comic, so Arudak is just lying.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

To determine who is trustworthy, Snout must sleep naked with a topless Arudak and not get a boner.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He's probably supposed to be a reverse ink witch or something. Maybe an eraser warlock.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
we're going to find out she secretly works for a shadowy corporation, and is in fact an Inc. Witch

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He's probably supposed to be a reverse ink witch or something. Maybe an eraser warlock.

Whiteout Warlock was right there for the taking.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't bother to explain further, Arudak. Just leave it at that.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Inkwich actually manipulating Snout would be too close to something that would happen in a real comic, so Arudak is just lying.

I know it's stupid of me to believe in him at this point, but it's so, so close to having self-awareness that I don't think there's a writer alive I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt on this. In terms of doing something interesting with his story and the first interesting thing in the legacy ever Mookie's on the 1 yard line and up by 49

But I just know I'm gonna be disappointed.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I know it's stupid of me to believe in him at this point, but it's so, so close to having self-awareness that I don't think there's a writer alive I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt on this. In terms of doing something interesting with his story and the first interesting thing in the legacy ever Mookie's on the 1 yard line and up by 49

But I just know I'm gonna be disappointed.

In a vacuum, with any writer other than Mookie, I would probably agree with you.

But on the other hand, we have the entirety of Dominic Deegan and Legacy.

I know which one I'm betting on.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

we're going to find out she secretly works for a shadowy corporation, and is in fact an Inc. Witch

:haw:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheHan posted:

Is the Ink Witch blatantly manipulating Snout actually...canon? and that week of Snout writing down questions actually had a purpose? This page actually ain't bad.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Either way Snout is exceptionally dumb for going along with it. The question is whether Mookie intended for him to come off that dumb.

Yeah, this shifts the problem from "character that is doing bad and shady poo poo is also unquestionably good" to "snout is a stupid protagonist that is not keeping pace with the audience". The only way to really save this is if Snout responds with "I know".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not even that the ink witch is lying to him. It's that he just stopped asking questions well before she'd really explained anything and just went along with whatever ill-justified plan they had.

Snout is dumb as hell, and that's fine, writing a character dumb is not inherently bad writing. But he seems so arbitrarily and willfully dumb that it feels contrived.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
So the next chapter is going to have Snout say 'I know' for sure then, because no Mookie protagonist is allowed to be outsmarted or not secretly in control of the situation behind the scenes for long.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hey, something vaguely resembling conflict!

Can't wait to see how Mookie heads this off.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hey, something vaguely resembling conflict!

Can't wait to see how Mookie heads this off.

Inkwich will say "no, u." Snout will then unquestioningly believe her and we'll move on, ignoring this entirely.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We'll just have to see if Mookie's hackishness outweighs his hatred of women and their manipulative use of Nice Guys like him Snout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kavak posted:

We'll just have to see if Mookie's hackishness outweighs his hatred of women and their manipulative use of Nice Guys like him Snout

That's an interesting point. In order for this feeeeeeeeeeemale to be evil and manipulative, she'd have to be smarter than his weird-dicked self-insert, and Mookie could never accept that, so his misogyny and hackiness work hand in hand in this scenario, as usual.