Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, that top picture especially looks like the only thing holding it together is a prayer and the new(?) interior silicone. the wall to wall silicone is in really bad shape. In the bottom picture the left side of the joins are dark and clear, which is properly sealed but they're already breaking up on the right side. Any stuff which is whitish is not watertight at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

That's disappointing but thanks for all the input, clearly I need to either redo the joints/gaskets, repurpose it or give it away. Glad I caught it before the worst could happen though. I now have the itch to get something bigger so I'll keep an eye out for any deals locally.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You could try your hand at doing a terrarium or similar, those joints would probably be fine without a full load of water on them. There's still a lot you can do with a glass box even if you don't fill it with water.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stoca Zola posted:

You could try your hand at doing a terrarium or similar, those joints would probably be fine without a full load of water on them. There's still a lot you can do with a glass box even if you don't fill it with water.

Tropical plants love being in a humid environment vs a dry American/European house if you/your gf want to try planted tanks/etc. And lots of terrestrial animals (geckos, dart frogs, tree frogs, etc) that would happily live there- esp if the tank is bioactive.

Alternatively, 30 gal provides a nice big size for herps like bearded dragons/skinks/ackies/juvenile tegus/etc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Tropical plants love being in a humid environment vs a dry American/European house if you/your gf want to try planted tanks/etc. And lots of terrestrial animals (geckos, dart frogs, tree frogs, etc) that would happily live there- esp if the tank is bioactive.

Alternatively, 30 gal provides a nice big size for herps like bearded dragons/skinks/ackies/juvenile tegus/etc.

For them to grow out in maybe! Even a 40 breeder is the min for a beardie.

So I redid my mouse/fish room the other day, heavily cleaned it up and moved tanks, and after breaking the last 20 long down (it only had two plecos and some shrimp in it) I realize I don't have a QT tank set up anymore. Ah well, I got rubbermaid totes when I need em.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

For them to grow out in maybe! Even a 40 breeder is the min for a beardie.

Yeah you’re totally right. Bit of morning brain there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever used a leak detector near their aquarium? My filter somehow backed up and poured about 10 gallons on the floor for my wife to deal with while I was at work. It was an easy fix once she noticed it, but obviously that was 10 gallons too late.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Oh yeah, they're a top 10 aquarium accessory in my mind and absolutely required if you're in the hobby for more than a couple years. All of my original Leak Frogs have died or been abducted (since they're also great for dishwashers, and clothes washers, sump pumps, basement sinks, etc.) so I use Zircon Leak Alerts now, they're usually like 10-12 USD each but well worth it. Make sure to keep them clean, salt creep in particular can cause false positives as well as corrode the sensor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool. I didn’t know how effective they’d be. I’ve never had a problem before so I was blissfully unaware of the danger. I’ll check out those Zircons.

Between purigen, biomatter, and the sponge I have too much stuff in the filter and if it’s set to heavy flow it backs up.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
So for a moderately planted tank with a footprint of 30x48 (inches) about how many plants do I need to order? Mostly looking to do java fern, anubias, maybe some crypts, easy poo poo.

Also it seems like every single site I can find is out of stock on Java ferns. Those were gonna be my bread and butter. Hm. Maybe I need to change tact.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 5, 2020

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is there anyone who reliably ships moss? I had bought some from Buceplant, but it went from half brown to a lot brown. I'm not even sure if I wanna keep it in the tank anymore, but I do want moss.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

Is there anyone who reliably ships moss? I had bought some from Buceplant, but it went from half brown to a lot brown. I'm not even sure if I wanna keep it in the tank anymore, but I do want moss.

Look up Tropica, I use their stuff and it's great. Most local shops stock it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can't understand how anyone can kill moss. Well maybe fissidens is a little less hardy, but I found a tiny 3 gallon tank I forgot about that I had confiscated from my sister when we got her a 15gallon for her birthday a few years ago, and the lights had come unplugged. It had been sitting dark long enough that the java ferns were ghost white, the duckweed was all long dead, but moss had pretty much taken over and was probably still 75% green. So my theories are: moss might die from frost, we don't get frost here. Moss might die from stagnant water, the pump was still running in that tiny tank and only the very centre of the moss mass had browned up. Moss would most likely eventually die from lack of lighting but it would take weeks and weeks I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

even then it'll just go dormant. I had an old driftwood I removed and stored for a few years, dry. When I put it back in a tank it was sprouting moss again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Not just the moss, but all the fat and sassy tardigrades living in it too!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not just the moss, but all the fat and sassy tardigrades living in it too!

How can you forget about the fat and sassy tardigrades?!

Well you assholes have really done a number on me, I can't stop looking at fish tanks to upgrade to. I saw this one on Kijiji:

I'm wondering if there are any challenges with a tank shaped like this. It's 30 gallons and doesn't come with a hood, light or filter so I'd need to address those myself. I figure a HoB filter can go on one of the flat sides. My real hesitation is having to fuss over or worry about the seals after the issues with my last used tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Assuming it's recent, a pic of it holding water is a good sign. I don't see anything that would pose too much trouble, but I'd double check that the corner braces and base are all in good shape. If you wanted to add lights, a lot of them will have adjustable metal rails that will rest on the rim of the tank.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hoods are bullshit and lights have been rimless compatible for years. My no-name $30 reef/plant/‘it’s plenty for a 10gal and possibly stressing out my Cyphastrea’ light sure is!

If you have jumpers you can easily make a lightweight lid out of a number of materials or get one assuming the top is rectangular.

That tank is tacky as poo poo and if all the seams look good I think you should jump on it like some prime booty

post build pics

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
That tank is weird as hell you gotta buy it.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I honestly have no idea. I got in the mail and it was like, 3/4ths brown. I thought we could revive it but NOPE. I had to peel it out of my tank. I'll look into this Tropica thing, thank you.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I don't have any pics but last night just before I went to bed I found a leak in my betta's tank so now he lives in a bucket with some stuff from his tank and if he survives this I will be amazed. :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

stevobob posted:

I don't have any pics but last night just before I went to bed I found a leak in my betta's tank so now he lives in a bucket with some stuff from his tank and if he survives this I will be amazed. :(

Get an airline running in the bucket and he should be solid. Maybe an auto heater if you think he needs it.

What’s your situation with the old tank? Is it an all-in-one or a basic black rimmed Petco special? Getting a replacement shouldn’t be tough, and there’s options for each budget.

With price matching from chewy or amazon and curbside pickup you can have a replacement tank plus hob/under gravel/sponge filter today for ~$20 if there’s a Petco in your area.

I don’t buy animals from them and I don’t condone loitering in stores during covid19 with or without a mask, but I’m not gonna deny that being able to rush in at opening time when nobody’s around and grab supplies, price match them to something I can actually afford, and dash home has saved my rear end a bunch recently.

Like, when you gotta replace a tank (or a heater...or you need an emergency box of saltwater, which honestly ain’t bad when it’s about a buck a gallon and you’re dealing with a 10gal) you gotta replace a tank!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 8, 2020

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get an airline running in the bucket and he should be solid. Maybe an auto heater if you think he needs it.

What’s your situation with the old tank? Is it an all-in-one or a basic black rimmed Petco special? Getting a replacement shouldn’t be tough, and there’s options for each budget.

With price matching from chewy or amazon and curbside pickup you can have a replacement tank plus hob/under gravel/sponge filter today for ~$20 if there’s a Petco in your area.

I don’t buy animals from them and I don’t condone loitering in stores during covid19 with or without a mask, but I’m not gonna deny that being able to rush in at opening time when nobody’s around and grab supplies, price match them to something I can actually afford, and dash home has saved my rear end a bunch recently.

Like, when you gotta replace a tank (or a heater...or you need an emergency box of saltwater, which honestly ain’t bad when it’s about a buck a gallon and you’re dealing with a 10gal) you gotta replace a tank!

It was a Bettaflo 2.5 all in one. I've put the heater and pump in the bucket, behind some rocks so he can't get to the heater, and the water is circulating. Doesn't aerate much though so I'll have to consider that. Also put his live plants in the bucket too.

I'm thinking of a plain 10g rimmed from PetSmart, get another heater and pump and cycle the tank with a plant/some gravel/wood from the old tank, plus some new stuff until the numbers are right. I've got a big piece of driftwood I've been dreaming of including in a setup and this is an opportunity.

He hides from me when I look in the bucket to feed him so I know he's super stressed :( but he's a fighter so if he survives this he'll have a bigger territory to explore. Fingers crossed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
2.5 gal is unacceptably small for a betta, dude. Doesn’t matter what the boxes say.

5 gal minimum for one male or maybe a sorority of 2 females, maybe 3 but that’s really pushing it. 10 gal means you can do some really elaborate planted setups and sororities are no sweat.

Petco/petsmart will do you a 5 gal or 10 gal for 15 bucks, I wouldn’t bother with a lid. If he’s a jumper, you can make a better cheaper lid out of eggcrate. You’ll need a small heater (an automatic one set to 78 degrees is fine) and a filter- these are pricey if you pay MSRP. Like really pricey, 2-4x what you pay online.

Find your model of filter and media and heater, and really anything else you need. Need rocks? Just google that poo poo on to your phone. Be shameless. Petco’s website is routinely half the price of their store, and they match Amazon, chewy/petsmart, etc.

If you’re using material from the old tank, water from the old tank, etc, I wouldn’t worry a ton about waiting to cycle before getting him out of the bucket and into the new tank. Bottled bacteria/“turbo cycle” products are also actually really good now, so you could toss a bottle of that in (price match it, natch), let the filter run for a bit and then pop him in.

Ultimately the least stressful thing is to get him situated in a stable home as quickly and seamlessly as you can. But also bettas are hardy as gently caress. There’s a reason they survive those lovely cups.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 8, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Addendum- I notice you said Air pump a bunch. I’d encourage you to get an actual filter of some sort if you’re going up to 5-10 gal. I got the one that’s currently on my reef tank (originally for a totally different project) for like $12. They’re basically commodity items.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I don't have an air pump right now, I have a water pump and filter setup (or did, in his old tank). Now it's just the pump to keep the water moving a bit in his bucket until I get his new home sorted. I'm also on Canada so I'll be using whatever I can get at the LFS or PetSmart or online. I've got a solid idea of what I'm going to do with regards to equipment and already have some scaping ideas.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Bettas are labyrinth fish so he can breathe air if he needs it, he doesn't need an airline in the bucket but if you could put plastic wrap over the bucket (leave a gap for air exchange) it will keep it more humid for him and maybe stop him from jumping out if he gets startled. If you have a sponge filter running that's fine for one betta. As long as he's got heat he'll be okay, you can cut back his feeding for a bit to reduce the wastes he's producing while his filtration situation is a bit sketchy. I had a look at the bettaflo tank and I can't work out where or what the filtration media is, I was going to say it would be fine to put your filtration media loose in the bucket but if it just has cartridges that might not work. Live plants won't help much without light but could help keep wastes down if they are getting light from somewhere. I'd say don't panic and take your time to get his new home right before you move him, you've got a few days or longer if you water change the bucket regularly.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Sorry to disappoint the thread but I didn't get the tacky as gently caress bowl shaped tank, ended up settling on a Seapora 29 gallon rectangle with an AquaClear 50 filter similar gravel/pebble substrate as in my 10 gallon. I filled it with a few gallons from my 10g and have started cycling. Would it be useful to throw the filter cartridge and specialty filter pad from my 10g into the AquaClear if they fit?

My intention is to go DIY for the lighting and forego a hood . I've seen a number of videos on YouTube using a piece of rain gutter, end caps and LED strip kit. From what I've read I need 10-20 lumens or 2-5 watts to support "easy" plants so I figure I find a LED strip kit with a high lm/ft and use that. The tank is 19" deep which I've read is the bottom threshold for requiring T5 or something else, I figure once I build up the substrate that should be a nonissue. Any suggestions?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hygger makes a really good light for like $25. There’s a jillion good Chinese aquarium lights with timers and different color temp settings and dimmers and epoxy-sealed seams and poo poo on Amazon/etc.

It’ll look way better and save you some pain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've reduced my puffers to blood worms every other day as I try to convince them to eat the baby snails from another tank.

This puffer gets it. The others, not so much. And yeah, those things on the glass are from the mystery snails that hatch and then I never see them again. So maybe the puffers are feeding.

EDIT: Well, this kind of sucks. Are Imgur gifs not showing up embedded anymore? Seems to work on the Awful app. :shrug:

https://imgur.com/OXSoZeC

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 9, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Ughhh aquarium progress is hella slow because poo poo just isn't shipping in a reasonable timeframe these days. Pandemic does some weird poo poo.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've reduced my puffers to blood worms every other day as I try to convince them to eat the baby snails from another tank.

This puffer gets it. The others, not so much. And yeah, those things on the glass are from the mystery snails that hatch and then I never see them again. So maybe the puffers are feeding.

EDIT: Well, this kind of sucks. Are Imgur gifs not showing up embedded anymore? Seems to work on the Awful app. :shrug:

https://imgur.com/OXSoZeC

You have a very cute, determined murder bean.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I have this light coming for my 19" deep 29g tank: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FMFPGPZ/?ref=exp_jcpaquarium_dp_vv_d. I've had the tank cycling for a few days and it'll be a week or so before the light gets here. Looking into plant and livestock options, from what I've read so far these are the best options for my fantail goldfish:
Plants - Java Ferns (windelov, narrowleaf, etc...), Anubias, Bacopa Caroliniana, Water Sprite, Indian Water Fern, Elodea, Duckweed (needs to be grown elsewhere) - my understanding none of these would require different or additional lighting

Companions - Snails, Bamboo Shimp, Hillstream (Butterfly) Loach, White Cloud Minnows, Weater Loach (Dojo), Fantails, Ryukins

I've read many of these are community creatures meaning I'd need to get 3+ and I'm wondering if my tank will be big enough to support em. I've read the rule of thumb of 1g per inch but also that goldfish are an exception to this rule. I have built a new DIY internal filter that I think should add significant filtration and could add even more if necessary fwiw.

Comboomer - you suggested turning my 10g into a planted refugium which I'd love to try after I'm done using it as a quarantine tank for whatever companions I want to add to my 29g, any resources you'd suggest I look at?

Here's a picture and video for those interested: https://imgur.com/a/3cc9Qmn

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Corte posted:

I have this light coming for my 19" deep 29g tank: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FMFPGPZ/?ref=exp_jcpaquarium_dp_vv_d. I've had the tank cycling for a few days and it'll be a week or so before the light gets here. Looking into plant and livestock options, from what I've read so far these are the best options for my fantail goldfish:
Plants - Java Ferns (windelov, narrowleaf, etc...), Anubias, Bacopa Caroliniana, Water Sprite, Indian Water Fern, Elodea, Duckweed (needs to be grown elsewhere) - my understanding none of these would require different or additional lighting

Companions - Snails, Bamboo Shimp, Hillstream (Butterfly) Loach, White Cloud Minnows, Weater Loach (Dojo), Fantails, Ryukins

I've read many of these are community creatures meaning I'd need to get 3+ and I'm wondering if my tank will be big enough to support em. I've read the rule of thumb of 1g per inch but also that goldfish are an exception to this rule. I have built a new DIY internal filter that I think should add significant filtration and could add even more if necessary fwiw.

Comboomer - you suggested turning my 10g into a planted refugium which I'd love to try after I'm done using it as a quarantine tank for whatever companions I want to add to my 29g, any resources you'd suggest I look at?

Here's a picture and video for those interested: https://imgur.com/a/3cc9Qmn

Sure. Can you refresh my memory on my comment? I’m not sure if I meant refugium as an addendum to/filter for a display tank or a simple planted tank or what.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Goldfish are particularly heavy waste generators and require a particularly strong filtration/beneficial bacteria counterpoint to keep water balanced and tanks looking spotless. If you go into big goldfish sites (there are goldfish-specific forums, btw. You should visit them) you’ll notice that people with big tanks are generally using big canister filters or sump/refugium builds as though they were running reef setups. They’re providing a home for all that bacteria. Hell, even something like a diy box filter or just running your water line through a sealed container filled with media would add a ton of biological filtration potential.

If you’re feeling like a tinkerer and you’re working from home, you could try building a second tank into something like a sump. Better yet, try building a planted refugium. Maybe put some shrimp or like a crayfish or freshwater crab in there too......omg now I wanna live vicariously through you and loop a fish+deep gravel planted crayfish tank together.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Semi-edit: you could also build a nitrate filter by filling a container with fast growing algae/plants and hitting it with a light/sun. There’s a lot of ways to harvest the power of photosynthesis for your fishy needs

Edit to the semi edit- you could also try sticking something like a pothos in your HOB filter (some ppl add them just for this) or tank.

Highlighted part I should have paid attention to in the first place. So basically was discussing filtration options for my tank at the time. The stand I'm using for my 29g has a compartment below it that could fit my 10g but it would be a bit tight, especially with the HoB filter, would need to create a way to slide it in and out. or cut out the shelf above for more room.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

stevobob posted:

It was a Bettaflo 2.5 all in one. I've put the heater and pump in the bucket, behind some rocks so he can't get to the heater, and the water is circulating. Doesn't aerate much though so I'll have to consider that. Also put his live plants in the bucket too.

I'm thinking of a plain 10g rimmed from PetSmart, get another heater and pump and cycle the tank with a plant/some gravel/wood from the old tank, plus some new stuff until the numbers are right. I've got a big piece of driftwood I've been dreaming of including in a setup and this is an opportunity.

He hides from me when I look in the bucket to feed him so I know he's super stressed :( but he's a fighter so if he survives this he'll have a bigger territory to explore. Fingers crossed.

ive had a bunch of betta tanks and imo the minimum size for a happy betta is 20g

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Corte posted:

I'd stay away from the loaches, you don't have room for dojos and I don't think the conditions will suit hillstream loaches, I also don't think you'll have room/filtration for other goldfish but you could easily fit 10 white clouds along with your fantail. If you have nothing else you could even fit up to 15 according to aqadvisor. Any rule that looks at length of fish is kind of rubbish, realistically what matters is the entire volume of the fish, and white clouds are quite small slim fish, they don't have anywhere near as much bioload as the other fish you mentioned. I think a school of small fast fish does help feel other fish feel comfortable and safe from predators too as if the little fish are safe, everyone is safe.

Those plants all sound good to me, I'd add hygrophila polysperma to that list, it does better for me than water sprite does. I think the fish will eat some of the plants but they might grow fast enough to stay ahead of a single goldfish.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

I'd stay away from the loaches, you don't have room for dojos and I don't think the conditions will suit hillstream loaches, I also don't think you'll have room/filtration for other goldfish but you could easily fit 10 white clouds along with your fantail. If you have nothing else you could even fit up to 15 according to aqadvisor. Any rule that looks at length of fish is kind of rubbish, realistically what matters is the entire volume of the fish, and white clouds are quite small slim fish, they don't have anywhere near as much bioload as the other fish you mentioned. I think a school of small fast fish does help feel other fish feel comfortable and safe from predators too as if the little fish are safe, everyone is safe.

Those plants all sound good to me, I'd add hygrophila polysperma to that list, it does better for me than water sprite does. I think the fish will eat some of the plants but they might grow fast enough to stay ahead of a single goldfish.

Thanks! I'm still not able to access aqadviser for some strange reason. I read up on white cloud minnows and my key concerns were that they could end up food for my fantail and they prefer a cooler temp than my apartment typically is at. What about non-fish friends like shrimp, apple, mystery or zebra snails?

What if I were to use my 10g as a planted refugium or sump, would that provide sufficient additional filtration to support a greater volume of fish? Could add a sponge filter too.

I have repurposed a bottle to be an aquarium ornament, I'm sure there's a a way for me to secure the top opening to prevent fish from getting in which would allow me to grow something inside unhindered! Curious if you have any suggestions.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Have a go on http://freeproxy.win that's how I'm getting it to work. Like this:

You're right I think, they COULD be small enough to get munched but with plant cover and a large school they might be okay (or the plants might be more tempting to the goldfish than the minnows are). It's going to come down to the temperament of your fish as to whether it's interested in eating other fish or not. Zebra danios are bigger and still can handle cool water so they might be a viable alternative - but on the down side if your fantail has a predatory streak, a danio might get stuck on the way down and cause big problems.

Regarding tank size, let's say you add a 10g sump to your 29g tank. The sump won't run at full capacity, it will really only be about half full, lets say you'd have 35g in the system total instead of 29g. If you were running a tropical tank with smaller fish, that's a not insignificant amount of extra dilution plus a pretty good amount of extra surface area for filtration media. For large heavy waste fish like goldies, that might as well be nothing, dilution wise but the extra filtration would definitely help. Extra filtration surface area adds to the rate of change of ammonia to nitrate; the total tank volume is what adds to dilution, which is what affects the rate of increase in nitrate concentration. A heavily planted, well lit plant refugium will also affect that rate of change of nitrate concentration by slowing it as the plants consume some of the nitrates, but a heavy fish load will overload that no problems at all. Think about it like a normal food chain, to support one predator you need a ton of land area for prey animals to live on, and a ton of plants to feed every prey animal. It's the same situation but with ammonia and filter bacteria. Your goldfish is like a wolf in someone's back yard, you just can't fit enough sheep and grass to keep that wolf alive with no intervention. Maybe the worst analogy I've ever come up with haha since the "wolf fish" is preying on clean water not sheep. The other factor to consider is the tank surface area, which limits how much oxygen is available to the fish - it's not just volume, a shallow wide tank can support more fish than a tall narrow tank of equal volume, so adding a sump doesn't really add to this factor. I was reading up on whether danios are compatible with goldies and came across someone who has eight fancy goldfish in a six foot long 100 gallon tank - and that tank is at capacity. I don't think you've got a good grip on how much you have to scale things up for these longer lived, heavier waste producing fish. Meanwhile you could keep 30 white clouds with no problem at all in your 29 gallon tank. The one inch per gallon rule only works as a coincidence here, and I think it isn't a terrible rule for small tropical fish like tetras, rasboras and danios as long as standard shaped tanks are used.

I like your terrarium inside aquarium idea, I am pretty sure SerpaDesign on youtube has tried something like that, his channel is worth a watch. At this point I avoid doing stuff like that because my guppies always find a way to kill themselves on or in anything I made (including no moving parts matten filters wth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I cannot get my nitrates down. They've been consistently in the 'stress' level during testing. Ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrates are the only problem.

Would Seachem Denitrate work on a HoB filter? All of the reviews refer to canister filters. If I stick it in a mesh bag and shove it in my Aquaclear with everything else would that potentially cut my nitrate levels?