Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man I'm running into the same problem I did a few years ago, I've finished my Survivor Hippie Van, I've got my "Freedom".... and now I have no idea what I want to do. :v: I'm bad at sandboxes sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man I'm running into the same problem I did a few years ago, I've finished my Survivor Hippie Van, I've got my "Freedom".... and now I have no idea what I want to do. :v: I'm bad at sandboxes sometimes.

I mean, Cataclysm doesn't actually have an endgame or anything to really work towards besides finding more poo poo to kit your survivor out with. Once your car is good enough, you have enough gun and you've completed your apotheosis into a mighty cyborg and/or off-brand ninja turtles character it's time to move on another character or another game. If your willing to hunt around Magiclysm has a demon spider queen in her lava nest you'll probably suicide on if that's your bag.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

You know, if they keep up development long enough and continue with the NPC advances, the endgame enemies aren't going to be zombies or aliens or anything, it's going to be rival gangs of equally crazy survivors and their deathmobiles.

Thats what I'm hoping for. There is only so many variations of "so here is a zombie, but this is does MORE melee damage/can throw electricity" they can throw in. Factions building up bases and doing supply runs until all the supplies have been grabbed and then thats when the raids start.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Rockopolis posted:

You know, if they keep up development long enough and continue with the NPC advances, the endgame enemies aren't going to be zombies or aliens or anything, it's going to be rival gangs of equally crazy survivors and their deathmobiles.

oh you mean an ideal outcome?

I mean I actually like Cataclysms apocalypse soup where every single possible apocalypse happened at once but I'd like it if I didn't know what the heck I was gonna encounter in each town, its too 'zombie forward' wheres my robot uprising town? wheres my interdimensional incursion town?? wheres my mega haunted town???

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was doing some quests for a rando squatting in a hunting goods store who eventually sent me out to an unmarked house out in the swamp where I got ambushed by a Wraith. Like it had 400 health or something and would heal in the darkness and would summon these little shadow minions that had zap back and that was pretty cool considering how limited most mobs are in their tactics. I'd be down for a ghost town.

Honestly I miss poo poo like tank drones and chicken walkers and proper turrets in urban area's, or even some jackass survivor with a flamethrower. Yeah they were kind of a cheap way to get killed sometimes but seeing some other poo poo out there tearing it the gently caress up was fun and a good opportunity to do stuff while all the zeds are homing in on the explosions. Now all you got is like maybe the Fungus hits town while you were napping.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 3, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

if I was gonna do ghosts they'd be there all the time but only solid and visible in darkness. But they'd be there during the daylight, blindly, invisibly and intangibly floating through stuff and existing... Would be kinda fun using your headlights to protect yourself while you raid a house or whatever or seeing them visible in the darkness of a building knowing that the whole place is gonna be fully uninhabitable at sundown.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

if I was gonna do ghosts they'd be there all the time but only solid and visible in darkness. But they'd be there during the daylight, blindly, invisibly and intangibly floating through stuff and existing... Would be kinda fun using your headlights to protect yourself while you raid a house or whatever or seeing them visible in the darkness of a building knowing that the whole place is gonna be fully uninhabitable at sundown.

This would be cool as gently caress

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

This legitimately sounds like some cool as fuckery mod of some I am legend poo poo that needs to happen

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Hell, it's already MO to scout around sundown and loot at night, unless you want to be in running gun battles that only end when your limbs, bandaged ripped and torn thrice over, are finally ripped from you entirely as your last breath is "gently caress, that milsurp store was not a good target."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Rats, so, I successfully backed into the first riot turret, but I tried ramming my way backwards through the roadblock, got stuck, had to dive out the door and get in a lucky hit on the other turret. Truck seems to be okay, just need to get it unstuck. Unfortunately I think I crushed most of the loot, and worst of all I can't find my toolbelt and a couple of my tools anywhere. I hope they didn't fall out or get destroyed or something.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I have a serious love hate relationship with the vehicles in this game. The first custom build I wanted to unveil to my hordes of admirers outside my fortified garage ended up with me Austin Powers'ing the thing until I could finally unjam it from the winch (:confused:) which by that time I had already destroyed most of my piles of construction materials. :shrug: eh it's a process.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What a difference clearing a few labs makes. Uncanny dodge and hydraulic muscles CBMs with a lucerne hammer makes even the worst hulk manageable.

I slipped up and pulped an armored zombie that I needed to use a mind splicer on for a quest though; is there any way to debug my way through the quest from Hub 01?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I thought you need to use a special corpse for that, it should be around the wreckage somewhere. It's not a zombie.

If it's still relevant you need to use the mind splicer on a dessicated corpse. The debug menu can spawn one.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 3, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Motherfucker posted:

This is some extremely cool poo poo and I would love to see it

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Caidin posted:

I thought you need to use a special corpse for that, it should be around the wreckage somewhere. It's not a zombie.

If it's still relevant you need to use the mind splicer on a dessicated corpse. The debug menu can spawn one.

Oh wow, thanks! I tried to use it with the corpse in my inventory and it didn't work. Needed to be standing over the body apparently.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Ultimate death mobile endgame when npc factions start building them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plA7N05y81M

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I used a tool box, later I made survivor toolbelts for each npc. I haven't had much luck getting them to weld, I might try again if I can scrounge a power source and a toolset cbm for one of them.

Outside temp does make some difference. When I came across 5 fresh dead cows I rapidly deployed a vehicle cooler in my basement I lived in and it froze everything down there, including stuff in my fridge before I got it's own room dug out with a door on it.

I think that at some point that works out better than even the large aftershock full sized freezers for long term storage. You can fill the freezer with warehouse shelves and it'll hold like 3k plus liters per tile? And you could keep a very large number of those frozen with just one vehicle cooler.

As for transfering power, on the same z level you can just run a vehicle frame through a window or doorway. Not a good idea for the cooler as you kinda want to contain it's cold air, but works fine for most other things. A jumper cable will work for just a z level or transfer, and industrial cables work great.

They are also easy to find, look for recycling centers, they have a ton of jumper cables and usually a few industrial cables. Butcher the ones that aren't full lenght and rebuild them afterwards. You'll have a ton easily enough.

It's even funnier because it was a NPC who's half fish and likes mutagen teaching a dragon who escaped a prison island as a political prisoner. I don't think I've managed to find a classic NPC yet. There was a farmer, but he died fighting zombies in the barn I found the dead cows in. Everyone else is a bunch of beep boops I tool the broken parts out of.

Couple of questions, where are you getting dragon mutagen and how do you create vehicle coolers? I have aftershock and arcana + vampirism but I can’t see any dragon mutagen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PiCroft posted:

If they ever do NPC deathmobiles they should just have players submit their designs.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PiCroft posted:

Couple of questions, where are you getting dragon mutagen and how do you create vehicle coolers? I have aftershock and arcana + vampirism but I can’t see any dragon mutagen.

I believe you need the sanguine codex to make it, but let me pull up my game. It's not obviously labeled as mutagen, which is probably the problem.

Here's the vehicle cooler though:
https://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/mountable_cooler/craft

Three books have the recipe to make it. It's quite powerful, but you'll want a sealed room. I mined out next to my basement.

Here we go, the dragon mutagen is called Blood Effigy, it's arcana 5 cooking 3. To go post threshold you'll need... congealed blood, which takes a putrid heart, and will make you a full dragon. I've not killed the dragon yet so I'm just pre threshold, but it's mostly useful. A few encumbrance penalties, but some nice extra attacks, some armor, and a beefed up metabolism that makes you heal really quickly if need lots of food and water. Carnivore was the worst, but I purified it easily enough. Keeping cannibal, it lets me dissect human cyborgs without getting sad.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

PiCroft posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plA7N05y81M

You hear Rule Britannia x 99

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I've managed to set up a mini fridge in my house by connecting a heavy cable between it and my solar bank. I can finally cook real meals and don't have to work around them or the leftover ingredients going bad before I have the need to eat them :toot:

I did a quick test and yes it actually works even when neither the solar bank nor the fridge show me any info to power consumption which is kinda annoying. I would like it to do that so that I can gauge how much electric stuff I can hook to my solar bank without pulling too much juice during the night.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Every so often this game has a major game changer update that also happens to break a lot of things.

It just happened again

Nested containers means that you can drop stuff into a backpack, take the backpack off, and that stuff doesn't spill all over the ground. It means you can unload and consolidate glass jars of jam, sugar, or flour. It means you can make a bag for your essentials in case you need to GTFO of wherever you are right now, and pick it up really fast.

But right now it also means that trying to drop a cellphone makes you take your pants off instead.

I would advise against updating to the latest experimental for a little bit. Stick to 0.E stable for now.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Every so often this game has a major game changer update that also happens to break a lot of things.

It just happened again

Nested containers means that you can drop stuff into a backpack, take the backpack off, and that stuff doesn't spill all over the ground. It means you can unload and consolidate glass jars of jam, sugar, or flour. It means you can make a bag for your essentials in case you need to GTFO of wherever you are right now, and pick it up really fast.

But right now it also means that trying to drop a cellphone makes you take your pants off instead.

I would advise against updating to the latest experimental for a little bit. Stick to 0.E stable for now.

This loving owns and I can't wait for the stable release, volume storage was such a weird abstraction

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Man I've been there.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

HiroProtagonist posted:

This loving owns and I can't wait for the stable release, volume storage was such a weird abstraction

I messed with it, and even in its current state, it was lots of fun. Playing a serious game with this version of the game is basically impossible, but I suspect if you give them a week or two, they'll work most of the kinks out of the system.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My kingdom for a working centrifuge and console!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tin Tim posted:

I did a quick test and yes it actually works even when neither the solar bank nor the fridge show me any info to power consumption which is kinda annoying. I would like it to do that so that I can gauge how much electric stuff I can hook to my solar bank without pulling too much juice during the night.

I put a full-size fridge in my outdoor charging station thing and 4 solar panels seems to be just barely enough.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Looking forward to it, bags being bags and not abstract volume holders is one of the best things about Project Zomboid.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cool to finally see that in the base game. Someone made a mod that did this like 2 years ago but it was it’s own game download so it was annoying to update.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

Man I've been there.

code:
Expected result:
Cellphone moved

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Looking forward to it, bags being bags and not abstract volume holders is one of the best things about Project Zomboid.

That had its own.. quirks, let's say (bags within bags) but I have a hunch given the systems already in place in CDDA that it will work out much more smoothly and in line with the overall motif, I guess I'll say, of everything else here.

I also like PZ don't get me wrong, but it's development cycle was like a carbon copy of this game just accelerated about 24x, which led to some hilarious poo poo happening.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ugh, I was hopping they'd fix the annoying bug pop ups before breaking experimentals again, it was getting so close.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

kinda wish you could input custom sounds for your car horns like 'the drum fill from hawaii 5-0' or whatever so that when you activate it or your cars alarm you get messages like 'You hear The Scream from Down With the Sickness' x 5

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I was thinking about jumping into 0.E stable. I haven't played in a long time, not since before cities and loot were overhauled, around the time when freezing was a fairly new mechanic. I have kept up with most of the new features, so I don't need a primer on all the new stuff. And I know there's lots of little quirks and oddities, like the hunger bar being very unintuitive even if it's Working As Intended.
What I'd like to ask for is a quick primer on all the majorly broken stuff as of that stable. I've heard a lot about "this feature is hosed" but it's hard to remember the total list of features that were mentioned, when they were broken, whether they've been fixed, etc. Basically if anyone's got a bullet point list of stuff that's broken/sucks in the 0.E stable, and I guess if there's a more recent version that's stable/playable that does it better.

For instance, I know bows are broken (in the sense of being ridiculously weak) and I know gun mods are still broken in the sense of their bonuses are outweighed by their literal weight. Any other major standouts I should be aware of, even as someone following the game, that are still in the way?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I believe in Stable bows are ridiculously powerful. Composite bow outdamages many rifles.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Someone posted about that on the last page, and people did up effort post responses iirc

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Man it really sucks that I have neither found an electrohack or the books that let me build it. I have 10+ electric gunsafes marked on my map and I want to crack them so bad...

The Lone Badger posted:

I believe in Stable bows are ridiculously powerful. Composite bow outdamages many rifles.
I wouldn't exactly say that but bows perform way better for me in the stable release compared to what people said about the current balance. Though a lot of their power comes from them critting for huge damage spikes compared to the basic
damage numbers

Vib Rib posted:

Basically if anyone's got a bullet point list of stuff that's broken/sucks in the 0.E stable, and I guess if there's a more recent version that's stable/playable that does it better.
I'm a new player myself so my input is limited but try to move away from cooking with an actual fire as fast as you can. The temperature mechanics for fire are all kinds of hosed up inside of houses. You can get away with it in early spring and fall/winter when you stand like five tiles away from the fire while cooking(and may also need to open the windows and doors depending on the general temperature). But in summer it will overheat you after like one hour of cooking and probably faster depending on the time of day and the warmth of your gear. And standing away from the fire and having all doors+windows open does not help in summer. Going for charge-based cooking tools like the charcoal smoker or the hobo stove asap will save you a lot of frustration imo

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Another thing that helps is srtting up in a basement with a furnace; basements are naturally cooler and i think thry resist temp. changes better as well

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thanks for the responses, sounds like it mostly got its poo poo together.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Someone posted about that on the last page, and people did up effort post responses iirc
I can't find such a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Inglonias posted:

It just happened again

On the one hand this owns and I’ve been wanting this feature for a long time. On the other hand I can imagine this will probably break the everloving poo poo out of mods, including the big ones like Aftershock.

Also the concept of a character wanting to drop a cellphone they are carrying in their trouser pocket so they conclude that dropping their trousers is the way to go is super funny.