Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Ok, how am I meant to beat like, the third level of Immortal Defense? Whichever early one it is that is trying to teach you about how clicking an enemy makes everything target it? I genuinely don't see how they expect me to last for the 3 minutes when they send 50,000 armoured enemies at me, and only let me build a single turret to defend with, alongside my mouse. I used the focus thing, but its still two guns against all this armour. I dunno what they expect me to do.

I'm 15 minutes in and already at a brick wall.

How much cache are you starting out with? Are additional Fear Points not unlocking as the level goes? They should unlock pretty quick.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hwurmp posted:

How much cache are you starting out with? Are you not unlocking additional Fear Points as the level goes? They should unlock pretty quick.

Fired back up to check, its the 4th level, and I start with like 2,000ish build. And I played until I was about to lose entirely to the massive swarm of armoured dudes. The icon for the turret guy never lit up again after building the first. I hammered the icon with clicks, mashed the hotkey, but I could not build more than just a single turret.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Where are you placing it, and how many kills is it getting?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

For some reason steam won't take screenshots of the game, so I can't show anything. I put the turret right where its range covers as much of the lane as possible on its loops. I can do the basics of tower defense, but literally every enemy here is armoured, I do not get the option to build any more turrets, and there are far too many enemies to ever possibly kill.

edit: I'm just gonna refund it. either there's some massive bug here, or I'm literally just too stupid to play it, but its been soured bad enough to not matter.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 3, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Funky Valentine posted:

Why would David Hayter be embarrassed about having a fun time voicing his favorite role.

What is with goons and embarrassment.

Goons cannot imagine feeling joy without guilt and project this onto everyone else.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Occultatio posted:

Filament trip report, ~15 hours in (although probably several of those were the game being left running in the background):

Despite surface appearances, it's actually quite unlike The Witness; all it borrows from that game (which, to help you calibrate this review, I think of as one of the best puzzle games of all time) is the open structure, where you can wander the entire ship and start any of the ~15 puzzle sequences in whichever order you choose. The puzzles themselves have very little in common with The Witness's; where TW's were all about deciphering rules governing your movement on a discrete grid, Filament's puzzles play with sequence and precise physical placement of the lines to a degree that requires an entirely different sort of thinking. Puzzles from The Witness could be screenshotted and played with in Paint or something to try and test out ideas; it's completely impossible to test possible solutions in Filament without actually going through the motions in-game.
Anyway I think my final recommendation is: it's a pretty good puzzle game, but the puzzle design holds it back from true greatness. It's worth a purchase if the puzzle style seems interesting to you, because it's legit not a type of puzzle I've seen anywhere before and they get a ton of mileage out of it, but be prepared for an unnecessarily steep learning curve.

drat you took the words right out of my mouth; great write-up. It's a cool puzzle game and I appreciate the "variations on a theme" structure to the puzzles as well as the cool meta poo poo but there's thoughtfulness and elegance in how challenges escalate in The Witness that seems like it would be really easy to replicate, but in practice probably isn't. I can think of a few exceptions, but in The Witness even the hardest puzzles usually have you solving just one or two problems. In Filament, starting pretty early on, there are puzzles that have you solving problems within problems within problems. In some rooms I was able to isolate "rules" and narrow down my options and it felt great, but in a lot of them it just felt like I had to either use trial and error or plan one too many steps ahead for it to be fun for me. I can appreciate it if other people didn't feel that way, maybe that kind of problem-solving is just difficult for me, but it didn't even necessarily make it feel harder than The Witness, just more tedious

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

For some reason steam won't take screenshots of the game, so I can't show anything. I put the turret right where its range covers as much of the lane as possible on its loops. I can do the basics of tower defense, but literally every enemy here is armoured, I do not get the option to build any more turrets, and there are far too many enemies to ever possibly kill.

edit: I'm just gonna refund it. either there's some massive bug here, or I'm literally just too stupid to play it, but its been soured bad enough to not matter.

The game costs 10 cents less than a McDouble

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

That dollar can go towards another game at a time when cashflow is really fuckin' unsure.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ShootaBoy posted:

That dollar can go towards another game at a time when cashflow is really fuckin' unsure.

Orrrr, maybe food?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Orrrr, maybe food?

I'm lucky enough to have the ability to garden. We had an ample harvest of peas and lettuce, and the corn is growing nicely. I have things budgeted, thanks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

I am mostly joshing, I refund stuff too. Steam cuts you off from it if you do what they arbitrarily decide is too many though, and $1.20 is probably where I'd personally just eat the loss

edit:

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm lucky enough to have the ability to garden. We had an ample harvest of peas and lettuce, and the corn is growing nicely. I have things budgeted, thanks.

and that's dope, I wish I had a good space for that in my current place. Nothing like the feeling of eating something you grew yourself

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hayter's no Ōtsuka but I never had a problem with his voice acting for the most part, though I will say that by Peace Walker he went so hard for maximum gruffiness that it actually became kind of distracting in how over-the-top it was. I remember feeliing like a lot of lines in that game sounded like David Hayter was doing a parody of David Hayter.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I don't refund often, and so far it's always been on stuff that just doesn't work, or run well enough to call working. And this time feels like a point, to me, because it annoyed me to hit the unplayable point less than a half hour in, while it's still teaching me.

And yeah, being able to grow stuff is helpful, even if actually doing it is a pain in the rear end. Or your hands and arms if you have an orange tree, drat things have giant, toothpick sized thorns.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

Fired back up to check, its the 4th level, and I start with like 2,000ish build. And I played until I was about to lose entirely to the massive swarm of armoured dudes. The icon for the turret guy never lit up again after building the first. I hammered the icon with clicks, mashed the hotkey, but I could not build more than just a single turret.

You earn additional instances of a certain point as that specific point does enough damage, if you aren't earning any it's because the point isn't doing very effectively for some reason. Are you upgrading the fear point you get? I'm able to beat the level pretty cleanly just by upgrading a single point to level 4. None of the pre-level dialogs explicitly mention upgrading points so it's possible you were understandably unaware of it (though Aa upgrades his points in level 2).

From testing it now it seems putting the point here and aiming the cursor at the enemy in the lead the entire time is enough to win.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Finally finished Filament after 27 hours and... uhhhh, what?

I thought I had a decent grasp of what was going on from the logs, but that ending made no sense. Did anyone else understand it? I'd love for someone to explain it to me like I'm an idiot, because if the game proved anything, it's that I clearly am one. :confused:

Fantastic puzzle game though, definitely worth picking up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm only about an hour in but so far Heaven's Vault is pretty neat. I'm digging the art, looking forward to learning more of the ancient language, and exploring the various locations/nebula/magic-ish streams between locations.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 3, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Garfu posted:

Anyone heard of or played Deity Empires?

Very little information outside of the steam forums and I haven't seen it mentioned in SA at all.

Ever play Master if Magic? This is another MOM successor. Different races with their own semi--unique building tree, units that decrease in power as they lose troops, magic grouped into various schools, etc. The dungeons have a reasonably well done risk/reward thing going on, use autofight after killing everyone because it really does work. I will say that looking at the spell list only Death Magic stands out with a game altering "ultimate spell." But I suppose that summoning a full fledged dragon every fight would be almost as expensive, and probably more effective. Looking at the list again there are other ultimate spells, but not for everyone. Also the developers added new spells to the game, but there doesn't seem to be a good place to look at them in game.

Buy it at the current price if you were one of those folks who complained about units not losing effectiveness with injuries in Age of Wonders 3. Wait for a sale if you want to round out your collection of MOM successors. Don't buy it if hexes and dry arabic numerals are not your thing.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

How's Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? I sometimes have an itch to play a Pokemon-adjacent game, so it caught my eye. I played Dawn/Dusk some time ago but felt it was a 'bit' too grindy, though otherwise enjoyable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm surprised that there's not a site yet that lets you search for a game and see what subscription services (Gamepass, PSNow, Humble Trove, Origin Access, Uplay+ etc) it's on

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mmkay posted:

How's Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? I sometimes have an itch to play a Pokemon-adjacent game, so it caught my eye. I played Dawn/Dusk some time ago but felt it was a 'bit' too grindy, though otherwise enjoyable.

It’s fun but it definitely has that Japanese game problem of an incredibly slow start. It takes a few hours to really open up.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Orange trees have thorns?

WHAT?

Next you'll tell me that rice paddies don't come with giant alien insects.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Garfu posted:

Anyone heard of or played Deity Empires?

Very little information outside of the steam forums and I haven't seen it mentioned in SA at all.

I bought it some time ago but I haven't played it much yet. If you want to know more, check DasTactic's channel in youtube, he has done several LPs.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I'm really tempted to get that Stay Home and Play JRPG bundle.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
What're the standout games in the Golden Week and Tower Defense sales?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kanfy posted:

Hayter's no Ōtsuka but I never had a problem with his voice acting for the most part, though I will say that by Peace Walker he went so hard for maximum gruffiness that it actually became kind of distracting in how over-the-top it was. I remember feeliing like a lot of lines in that game sounded like David Hayter was doing a parody of David Hayter.

A lot of that probably goes to the direction received, since it's not just Hayter's call what voice he does. Localisation staff for the MGS series pretty much just got worse and worse as the years went on, and Hayter's never really had much sway with Kojima.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the biggest issues that led to the SAG-AFTRA strike in 2017 was that voice actors for games would often be signed onto projects where they weren't even made aware of the history of the franchise or the scale of its production. So you'd have actors doing a thousand hours of voicework for pennies on $50mil AAA franchises with iconic characters and no ability to negotiate for better rates on sequel that featured the same character.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I never played any Metal Gears so I only know Hayter from voicing Bucky on Marvel Heroes. He was good in that imo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What're the standout games in the Golden Week and Tower Defense sales?

Immortal Defense
X-Morph: Defense
Creeper World
Particle Fleet
Atom Zombie Smasher
Yakuza
Ace Combat 7
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Valkyria Chronicles
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
428 Shibuya Scramble
AI: The Somnium Files
Return of the Obra Dinn
Okami
a whole bunch of Falcom games
Earth Defense Force
Chrono Trigger
Touhou Luna Nights
La-Mulana
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
Puyo Puyo Tetris

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought Black Mesa at Christmas and have only just started it, I know it was a long time coming but its astounding how great it looks and even how half life plays today - a string of great set pieces without being explicitly directed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I kind of wish they'd thrown in the gravity gun just for laughs, but yeah, Black Mesa rules. Just wait until you see what they've done with Xen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

I never played any Metal Gears so I only know Hayter from voicing Bucky on Marvel Heroes. He was good in that imo.

Man, I miss that game. As do a lot of goons, that thread is still going, two and a half years after the servers shut down. Perfect for when you want something absolutely braindead.

Hwurmp posted:

Immortal Defense
X-Morph: Defense
Creeper World
Particle Fleet
Atom Zombie Smasher
Yakuza
Ace Combat 7
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Valkyria Chronicles
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
428 Shibuya Scramble
AI: The Somnium Files
Return of the Obra Dinn
Okami
a whole bunch of Falcom games
Earth Defense Force
Chrono Trigger
Touhou Luna Nights
La-Mulana
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Atom Zombie Smasher kicks insane amounts of rear end. Very fun with a great soundtrack. I love basically everything Blendo has done.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

ShootaBoy posted:

Ok, how am I meant to beat like, the third level of Immortal Defense? Whichever early one it is that is trying to teach you about how clicking an enemy makes everything target it? I genuinely don't see how they expect me to last for the 3 minutes when they send 50,000 armoured enemies at me, and only let me build a single turret to defend with, alongside my mouse. I used the focus thing, but its still two guns against all this armour. I dunno what they expect me to do.

I'm 15 minutes in and already at a brick wall.

It's been years so I forget all the levels but that level either wants you to charge attack which I think kills enemies in a row, OR it's where it gives you armor enemies that have a weakspot in the back and should still die to a few normal hits if you position the mouse correctly.

Also one thing about immortal defense is turret upgrades and all that become super important, it's one of the harder TD games I've ever played as especially later you have to be on point with turret placement and choosing which ones to power up. Most other games are pretty hands off, this one doesn't let you rest.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 3, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, I miss that game. As do a lot of goons, that thread is still going, two and a half years after the servers shut down. Perfect for when you want something absolutely braindead.

I miss it SO MUCH this weekend for some reason. I love Path of Exile but man, it's not at all the same.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's no way it's been a whole two and half years since the last switch was flipped.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

there's no way it's been a whole two and half years since the last switch was flipped.

It was around thanksgiving 2017. Time flies!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghostlight posted:

November 2017 - shutdown early because Mr Gaz couldn't even manage that properly

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

I kind of wish they'd thrown in the gravity gun just for laughs, but yeah, Black Mesa rules. Just wait until you see what they've done with Xen.
Yyyeah. I'd say about 75% of Black Mesa owns. The rest is Interloper.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hayter's so embarrassed by his performance in one of the most famous voice roles in video game history that he goes on Cameo to wish people happy birthday as Solid Snake.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Atom Zombie Smasher kicks insane amounts of rear end. Very fun with a great soundtrack. I love basically everything Blendo has done.

Tell me more about Atom Zombie Smasher. It's on my wishlist but I keep going back and forth on actually picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tell me more about Atom Zombie Smasher. It's on my wishlist but I keep going back and forth on actually picking it up.

You know those old, old webtoys where you had a bunch of pink pixels running around a grid of lines, and a green pixel would go around turning them green? I don't even remember what the hell they're called, but Atom Zombie Smasher takes those and makes an RTS out of them. You have to use your rescue chopper to airlift out as many people in an area as possible before everyone left gets zombied--or if possible, kill all the zombies. You get combat units to help fight them off including infantry squads that move around the streets, snipers that cover a narrow cone across the map, zombie bait, mines, barricades, and most importantly, rooftop artillery cannons. Learn to love your artillery cannons.

Campaigns are score-based with a set amount of points for final victory. You score points for rescues and kills, and Team Zombie scores points for spreading the infection. The strategic layer has a fair amount in common with XCOM--random mission modifiers, scientists to rescue for upgrade points, zombies spreading from district to district, a bunch of campaign start modifiers to adjust length and difficulty, etc.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 3, 2020