Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

YggiDee posted:

You're right, but also in this case the driver is getting out of the car so they can punch someone in the audience.

Wait, so Manny was Argyle? How many Die Hard references were there in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
#LetDonaldNap2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2H5M0tqsYg

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm surprised having a roboboy go without a helmet got through.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boyd is adorable :3: I'm really glad they didn't just leave him dead in that pool. That was one of the more cruel things the show has done, but the writers definitely knew how cruel it was and played it as Lewey crossing a line and something that needed to be fixed before the episode ended.

This also continues the trend started with Lena of villains creating children they don't care about for the sake of a scheme and those children going on to become way better people than their rear end in a top hat parents. I can only assume this means Glomgold's puppet is going to come to life in a future episode and become a philanthropist.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Boyd is adorable :3: I'm really glad they didn't just leave him dead in that pool. That was one of the more cruel things the show has done, but the writers definitely knew how cruel it was and played it as Lewey crossing a line and something that needed to be fixed before the episode ended.

This also continues the trend started with Lena of villains creating children they don't care about for the sake of a scheme and those children going on to become way better people than their rear end in a top hat parents. I can only assume this means Glomgold's puppet is going to come to life in a future episode and become a philanthropist.

Well that or one of his sharks becomes sapient

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

That idea is even better.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, we've already seen Glomgold's rogue creation. His name is Flinheart Glomgold, created by Duke Baloney to menace Scrooge, only to end up saving the world from moon-people.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Phylodox posted:

“Yippee ki yay, Mr. Falcon.”

That’s a thing that happened. Pop culture has reached its apex.

I love this show in so, so many ways.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

drrockso20 posted:

That idea is even better.

Didn't he actually care about the Sharkas?

The idea is loving great, don't misunderstand me.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

This also continues the trend started with Lena of villains creating children they don't care about for the sake of a scheme and those children going on to become way better people than their rear end in a top hat parents.

Would be an interesting spin on Webby, if her parents do turn out to be FOWL agents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just realised why FOWL aims to wipe out Scrooge's whole family- not just out of petty malice, but because any survivor would inherit the entire fortune and all the assets to go with it, and be on the warpath.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just realised why FOWL aims to wipe out Scrooge's whole family- not just out of petty malice, but because any survivor would inherit the entire fortune and all the assets to go with it, and be on the warpath.

It's like the Queen of Fables always said: You need to end the bloodline.

(The Harley Quinn show is a good series btw, I recommend checking it out if you're looking for something to watch in between Ducktales episodes. Be warned though: it is very violent and adult oriented.)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So clearly FOWL needs to spare the most sane and well-adjusted member of the family who will definitely be able to move on from the loss of his loved ones and not be consumed by revenge.

It's Launchpad :ssh:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

amigolupus posted:

So clearly FOWL needs to spare the most sane and well-adjusted member of the family who will definitely be able to move on from the loss of his loved ones and not be consumed by revenge.

It's Launchpad :ssh:

In some weird alternate universe the token survivor would be Louie, who'd con his way into being part of FOWL and then mercilessly destroy them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everyone posted:

In some weird alternate universe the token survivor would be Louie, who'd con his way into being part of FOWL and then mercilessly destroy them.

Don't you mean mercilessly command them?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Could be both!

...actually that strikes me as basically the backstory of a particularly messed up yet charismatic Batman.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Could be both!

...actually that strikes me as basically the backstory of a particularly messed up yet charismatic Batman.

Batman Holy Terror*, does something along those lines, though it's version of Bruce is probably one of the more sane and balanced ones honestly

*no relation to the Frank Miller comic Holy Terror which was originally intended to be a Batman comic as well

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"I'm your grandmother, dear. I have no secrets from you here on out"

Yeah, she's not Webby's real grandma

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

If you had given me a list of episode synopses and told me to pick the one that seemed the most like filler I probably would have guessed this one, but they clearly spent like 5000000 years animating the poo poo out of this one. New episode was a blast.

It's funny how "the characters go to Japan and there's anime robot fights" is like a long-running stock western cartoon plot, but this is probably the first time I've seen it done where it felt very fun instead of embarrassing, likely because modern cartoonists are much more likely to have actually at least visited Japan once in their lifetime

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The part where Fenton says "Bl-" to activate only part of the Gizmoduck armor had me in stitches for some reason. Also major LOL at the Glomgold billboard in the background during the major fight scene.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

That was a brilliant use of 80's Gyro.

Also, "That is not how doctorates work, and I don't care!" was the best line of the episode.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Hi! I'm Boyd! A definitely real boy!" :3:

This season has been fantastic so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A really good episode all around. The Glom energy drink was a good sightgag too. I expect to see Professor Akita again though since he seems like a probable fit for FOWL (as long as he's kept on some sort of leash). Also, part of me expected him to the the chopsticks thing with the potato chips, but that might've been too much animating effort.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The reveal of Gyro having been his happy-go-lucky DT87 incarnation before countless failures turned him jaded and bitter was fantastic.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

A really good episode all around. The Glom energy drink was a good sightgag too. I expect to see Professor Akita again though since he seems like a probable fit for FOWL (as long as he's kept on some sort of leash). Also, part of me expected him to the the chopsticks thing with the potato chips, but that might've been too much animating effort.

Professor Akita doing all his little sound effects was absolutely hilarious.

"Boop!"

Also this felt like they took a movie and squished it perfectly into 20-something minutes. The animation was on-loving-point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Professor Akita doing all his little sound effects was absolutely hilarious.

"Boop!"

Also this felt like they took a movie and squished it perfectly into 20-something minutes. The animation was on-loving-point.

Prof. Akita is a good dog.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
On the one hand, appropriate that the Astro-Boy tribute had a Tezuka in it. On the other, Boyd did not have a butt-gun, and there was no Akira-slide on the bicycle.

I also thought I briefly spotted a Lupin-lookalike in the crowd. On a rewatch, there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it better shot of him.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I’m a pretty diehard Astro Boy fan and this gave me so much joy. Ducktales has such a great way of weaving new stories with new characters, while also using and taking inspiration from older characters. It’s incredible.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I appreciate that Inspector Tezuka was named after Osamu Tezuka but is also very obviously Inspector Zenigata

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This episode was really good and surprisingly consequential for what the synopsis promised.

One thing that occurred to me when I was watching this (that I'm sure has come up in this show before before but had never been quite as prominent as in this episode) is how the Japanese characters weren't all one species and how commendable that is. A lot of media featuring fantasy races or aliens or anthropomorphic characters falls into this trap where white-coded or American-coded characters can be a variety of species but stand-ins for other real-world races or cultures are represented as being all one species, which has some unfortunate most-likely-unintentionally racist implications. But the streets of Tokyolk were as diverse in species as the streets of Duckburg. So they did a good job by sticking with their schema of "humans = a variety of animal species" rather than deciding to make all the Japanese characters shibas or something like that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Elfface posted:

and there was no Akira-slide on the bicycle.

I was also disappointed by this, I thought for sure it was coming. Although the credits gave the name of the two bikers as "Clown" and "Capsule". :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They did a Kamen Rider sequence for Gizmoduck, fully sick.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Loved the Gizmoduck anime yell of "TWO-BEE-OHHHHHHHHHH~!!" :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Anything that gets me more Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa on this show, yes please. I never say no to more Shang Tsung in my life.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Oh this was an amazing episode. Totally agree on how fantastic the animation was.
Boyd was great the first time we saw him, it’s good to see him back. He’s just so wholesome. I hope he becomes Huey’s BFF.

Oh and the Sailor Moon at the start was great too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

Oh this was an amazing episode. Totally agree on how fantastic the animation was.
Boyd was great the first time we saw him, it’s good to see him back. He’s just so wholesome. I hope he becomes Huey’s BFF.

Oh and the Sailor Moon at the start was great too.

Becomes? He clearly is Huey's BFF. The big question is if Boyd's gonna start calling Gyro Dad or something.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

drat they really went for it animating the fight scenes in this one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elfface posted:

On the one hand, appropriate that the Astro-Boy tribute had a Tezuka in it. On the other, Boyd did not have a butt-gun, and there was no Akira-slide on the bicycle.

I also thought I briefly spotted a Lupin-lookalike in the crowd. On a rewatch, there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it better shot of him.

There was a Sailor Moon cosplayer earlier in the episode as well. Not sure if there were any more besides those two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anyone else get Rusty Venture vibes from Gyro? Especially in the voice.