Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd say it was more to do with his prison experiences. "You get a pass for that". He did a lot of time.

It is a shame that we never got to learn just how much time Phil did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
TWENNY FUCKIN YEEAHS :bahgawd:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

crispix posted:

TWENNY FUCKIN YEEAHS :bahgawd:

"Not a fuckin' peep!"

If only.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Even when it comes to Phil "winning one" with Vito, he ends up with both a public and private retaliation, the former being the wire room and the latter being the murder of Fat Dom.

For the most part, Phil has a lot of legitimate grievances (at least according to the code) against Tony. Tony had only been made for a year or two when Phil went away, then twenty years later he comes out and Tony's now a Boss, and has seemingly stepped over people like Junior, Ray Curto, Larry Barese, even Jimmy Altieri to get there. Yeah, Phil was being disrespectful by ducking Tony on what he owed due to the sale of the racetrack, but Tony didn't need to publicly embarass and almost kill a Capo of a New York Family to get his point across. Then, as others said, he thinks (for good reason) that Tony had a lot more to do with Tony B. killing Joey Peeps and his brother Billy than he actually did. And he doesn't even get the revenge that he is owed (again, the code) because Tony takes out his cousin himself, at which point he's told he has to swallow all of that and keep the peace by Johnny, who then makes a deal and allocates for a better sentence when Phil spent two decades without saying a word. And then of course you have the fact that Tony has only ever spent a few days in jail (not even prison) in his life, while constantly questioning the loyalty of others that have actually served real time, like Paulie.

Phil went into prison in the early 80s, just before the FBI and Justice Department and US Attorneys offices in New York and New Jersey really started taking down important people and getting them to flip on dozens of others. He comes out just as Carmine Sr. has died, and now he's supposed to sit at a table and show deference to this kid that's now in charge of the Jersey glorified crew, who has Christopher (who was like fourteen when Phil went away) as his protege?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously

Like a loving horror movie villain.

I wonder how long he had to stand there waiting for Vito. This was back before people had games on their phones too.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

escape artist posted:

I wonder how long he had to stand there waiting for Vito. This was back before people had games on their phones too.

I hope he tried to sell this to the rest of his crew, no, no seriously, it's going to look so sweet guys, then they have to awkwardly stand around while he closes the doors on himself, the noise from the jostling hangers settling down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

and now he's supposed to sit at a table and show deference to this kid that's now in charge of the Jersey glorified crew, who has Christopher (who was like fourteen when Phil went away) as his protege?

Another reason Tony and Phil's working relationship was probably always doomed is this, I think. Throughout the series Tony frequently reacts angrily at reminders of a time when he wasn't powerful, partly because of his own self-doubt about his worth and whether he really belongs in the position he's in.

Probably the smartest move he ever made in terms of nullifying such a threat was the way he orchestrated Feech's return to prison, but in every other case things either come to a violent head (Ralphie, Junior) or are only staved off by pure chance (Richie). With Phil eventually reaching a rank equal to Tony's own (and, Phil would argue, superior to Tony's) he's back in a position of being able to look down on him again, and at that point a confrontation seems inevitable since Phil wants to treat Tony like a junior partner and Tony wants to be considered with serious respect.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd say it was more to do with his prison experiences. "You get a pass for that". He did a lot of time.

He compromised. He jacked off in a tissue.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
If the Six Feet Under writers had done a Sopranos episode Phil's prison lover would have come back to the motel room with Vito

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I didn’t get that read at all from Phil- not like Richie Aprile, and his resentment of his gay son. The scene after getting blown at the Bada Bing when the stripper says “I see you like the dark” and he replies “Yeah, something like that”- you have to wonder if he wasn’t fantasizing about another man?

Tony’s comment re: Janice- “there are men in the can better looking than my sister” may not have been what he wanted to hear either for that reason.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Poor Parvatti :(

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

crispix posted:

I want a straight-to-Netflix Sopranos spinoff sequel for wine moms where it's Janice going on a road trip to find Harpo... and herself

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I want a straight-to-Netflix Sopranos spinoff sequel for wine moms where it's Janice going on a road trip to find Harpo... and herself

Imagine if they actually did do a spinoff like that and someone tried to say something about Tony that would confirm one way or another what happened at the end of the series and Janice just said she doesn't want to talk about her brother to cut it off.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The last scene of the series is where she's waiting to finally meet Harpo in a coffee shop and she looks up towards the camera with a teary smile and it cuts to black

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, I would totally watch that.

I’m surprised the actress who played Janice didn’t get more high profile work. I think the only other movie I remember her showing up in was Deep Blue Sea.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1255691773999034376

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That's funny. I was thinking today of who would make a good Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul style spinoff character and for some reason the first person I thought of was Furio but I like your idea better.

I guess Lillyhammer was a spiritual successor to the Sopranos but as far as I can tell not one person watched it.

E

ruddiger posted:

I’m surprised the actress who played Janice didn’t get more high profile work. I think the only other movie I remember her showing up in was Deep Blue Sea.

She was in one of those Grisham movies; The Rainmaker or The Client I think. Wait, nope, it was Sleepers.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 1, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

ruddiger posted:

drat, I would totally watch that.

She was in the Car Periscope episode of Curb in I think 2011 :jerry:

Actually Lenny Venito, the guy who plays Murmur was also in that episode as "the one-armed man".

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 1, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

crispix posted:

Janice! Her name is fuckin Janice!

Fallen is a great movie with both janice and Tony in it and a ton of other great actors. Go watch Fallen because it rules.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BiggerBoat posted:

That's funny. I was thinking today of who would make a good Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul style spinoff character and for some reason the first person I thought of was Furio but I like your idea better.

I guess Lillyhammer was a spiritual successor to the Sopranos but as far as I can tell not one person watched it.

I watched it, it was funny I also actually watched it pre-sopranos because I never had HBO. I do like the idea it was like a fever dream of Silvio in a coma, and the inspiration for the series was Silvio's throwaway line back when Tony was shot going "What am I speaking loving Norwegian".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Give me the Artie spinoff. "Fine Dining Establishment."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Give me the Artie spinoff. "Fine Dining Establishment."

Would it be the style of The Office where it's a fake Jersey Shore meets Kitchen Nightmares reality show?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Furio plays the straight man to his new boss, a lovable scamp of an obese don in the mold of Dom DeLouise. They scramble around the old country to solve a series of elaborate clues they hope will lead them to a cache of Sicilian bullion. This fall on Starz OnDemand: The Fat and the Furio

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

Would it be the style of The Office where it's a fake Jersey Shore meets Kitchen Nightmares reality show?

God, I really hope so now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Janice! Her name is fuckin Janice!

Fallen is a great movie with both janice and Tony in it and a ton of other great actors. Go watch Fallen because it rules.

Fallen is one of my absolute favorite movies. I think I first saw it when I was about 19 and I was absolutely glued to my seat. I remember it ending and just being dumbfounded that I poured 100% of my attention into a movie that hard. Usually I watch things but am still aware of being in a theater or of people around me, etc. I was just transfixed.

I really like that movie, is what I'm saying.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fallen is one of my absolute favorite movies. I think I first saw it when I was about 19 and I was absolutely glued to my seat. I remember it ending and just being dumbfounded that I poured 100% of my attention into a movie that hard. Usually I watch things but am still aware of being in a theater or of people around me, etc. I was just transfixed.

I really like that movie, is what I'm saying.

Hell yeah. That was pretty much my experience with it too.

God i need to go find it somewhere to stream it tonight

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just found it on Starz in Prime Video!

edit:
Check out Black Sails while you're in there! Another of my favorite things. Like it was a show that was basically made with me in mind.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 2, 2020

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Wonder how artie is handling the covid 19 crisis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jack2142 posted:

Wonder how artie is handling the covid 19 crisis.

*Cut to Artie complaining that they pay more to use GrubHub than they get out of GrubHub* Sadly that's not really a joke, but a thing that actually happens.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just found it on Starz in Prime Video!

edit:
Check out Black Sails while you're in there! Another of my favorite things. Like it was a show that was basically made with me in mind.

Black Sails is really loving good, was there ever a thread here about it? I probably don't want to know because I get incredibly mad at people who interpret the ending wrong which actually has a lot in common with the Sopranos ending now I come to think of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was! In fact, I think Toby Stevens got @ed (or however you do that) with a screenshot of all of us in the thread going nuts about how awesome his season 2 coat was.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was! In fact, I think Toby Stevens got @ed (or however you do that) with a screenshot of all of us in the thread going nuts about how awesome his season 2 coat was.

But was it as cool as Ritchies jacket?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jack2142 posted:

Richies jacket?

Tony: The what?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The jaaaaaackeeeeettttt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was always interesting to me it was 'Rocco DiMeo' Richie took the jacket off of and DiMeo is the name of the crime family.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

It was always interesting to me it was 'Rocco DiMeo' Richie took the jacket off of and DiMeo is the name of the crime family.

That happens a lot because so many Italian-Americans have similar last and especially first names. At one point Elliot tells Melfi "I thought you were talking about Little Augie Aprile" when we've never heard someone with that name in the Aprile family. And earlier in the thread I mentioned that there are four Anthonys, three Jacks, two Ercolis, two Pussys, two Paulies, three Bobbys, three Johns, etc in the show.

Odd question, but do we ever learn what the JT stands for now that the poor guy is dead? It seems like that was his WGA name and so he's only ever referred to as such.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
“All their sons were either named Peter or Paul, and all the daughters were named Marie”

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

So why is it still called the DiMeo family? It's been, what, like 10-15 years since the DiMeo boss got put in jail? Do they just keep the name out of respect?

Also, is the super high level of capo/boss attrition we've seen through the show usual, or is it supposed to be another reflection of Tony's dysfunction?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

joneswt posted:

So why is it still called the DiMeo family? It's been, what, like 10-15 years since the DiMeo boss got put in jail? Do they just keep the name out of respect?

Also, is the super high level of capo/boss attrition we've seen through the show usual, or is it supposed to be another reflection of Tony's dysfunction?

It's called the DeMeo Family until Junior officially takes over as Boss halfway through the first season. And even then, the mainstream media is a bit behind and continue to refer to it as such. From the second season on, there are a few mentions of DiMeo, but at that point it's become the Soprano Family, which is what DiMeo always wanted in the first place, based on what others say about his praise of Johnny Boy, Junior, and Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Colombo family is still called that even though Joe's been dead 40 years.