Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Syphilicious! posted:

The magic is a metaphor for money. drat.

:hmmyes:

I think you've cracked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ConfusedUs posted:

If you're okay with dragons instead of Unicorns, there's a fair bit of that in one of the Discworld Watch books. Men at Arms, I think. Lady Sybil is part of a group of people who raise dragons and while she's a good person, the rest, not so much.

Huh, I thought the other dragon breeders were just all the really wealthy ladies, I don't remember it ever mentioning anything about them being bad.

ConfusedUs posted:

I really love Gil's All-Fright Diner, and most of that author's stuff is good too. The Automatic Detective is probably my favorite of them all.

Ya, the books aren't that fancy but they are fun to read.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just finished Gil's All-Fright Diner and thoroughly enjoyed it as an easy romp, leaving aside the dozen-or-so too many descriptions of the protagonists' lust for the 17-year-old antagonist. Will have to check out Martinez's other work.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Just read Lost Falls Book One by Chris Underwood. It was fun, I recommend. Entertaining main characters, lots of blood and ghoulies, pretty strong emotional core and some moral grey areas.
Easy read, but kept my attention. I've got 2 and 3 now
It's not Sandman Slim/Dresden levels of male power fantasy and very little drooling over jailbait.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm not sure I'd call it urban fantasy, as such, but I'm about a third to halfway through Beauty, by Robin McKinley; it's a retelling of "Beauty and the Beast". It's slice-of-life and ambiguously Age of Sail Genero-Europe, and while it does mention witches and magic fairly early on, you don't actually see it for quite a while. It's well-written and worth a read on its own merits, at least, though.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Aerdan posted:

I'm not sure I'd call it urban fantasy, as such, but I'm about a third to halfway through Beauty, by Robin McKinley; it's a retelling of "Beauty and the Beast". It's slice-of-life and ambiguously Age of Sail Genero-Europe, and while it does mention witches and magic fairly early on, you don't actually see it for quite a while. It's well-written and worth a read on its own merits, at least, though.

I love Robin McKinley’s stuff. If you want her ufish story and don’t mind (absolutely not sexy) vampires, try Sunshine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DreamingofRoses posted:

I love Robin McKinley’s stuff. If you want her ufish story and don’t mind (absolutely not sexy) vampires, try Sunshine.

Seconding Sunshine.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

torgeaux posted:

Seconding Sunshine.

Thirding.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Prime UK is currently offering omnibus urban/, paranormal fantasy for cheap.
Blue Moon investigations 1-10 by Steven Higgs (£8)
Keira Chronicles 1-8 by Martha Carr (£1)

Anyone read these? Are they entertaining crap?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Welp, I took the plunge on a smaller bundle of Blue Moon Investigations. Wish me luck?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

torgeaux posted:

Seconding Sunshine.

Nthing, sunshine is great.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
For any Schaerfer/Faust fans, he decided to write a little slice-of-life story while he's trapped in during quarantine, and it's.. His characters, trapped in during quarantine. It's short, sweet, and left me with a smile on my face.

http://craigschaeferbooks.com/lockdown

Free to read on his site.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

OmniBeer posted:

For any Schaerfer/Faust fans, he decided to write a little slice-of-life story while he's trapped in during quarantine, and it's.. His characters, trapped in during quarantine. It's short, sweet, and left me with a smile on my face.

Oh that was good

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the fuckin book butcher

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Ramadu posted:

wheres the fuckin book butcher

Someone's behind on the news.

Peace Talks is out July 14. Battle Ground is out September 29. Yes, that's right, two Dresden Files books this year.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

rndmnmbr posted:

Someone's behind on the news.

Peace Talks is out July 14. Battle Ground is out September 29. Yes, that's right, two Dresden Files books this year.

what the!!!!

thanks man!!!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So was I right that the previous "Book is totally done and will be published X date" announcement was pushed back yet again?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There was no delay, and the publication dates were announced on schedule. So you you were the exact opposite of right.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gnoman posted:

There was no delay, and the publication dates were announced on schedule. So you you were the exact opposite of right.

There were multiple delays, but okay.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Actually you were so wrong there's going to be two books this year.

You need a release date to have a delay, and there was never an official release date. But keep on tilting at windmills.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like that the argument here is based on "The author claiming things would be done by X date don't count"

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just re-read the series every time a new release date is announced

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BurgerQuest posted:

just re-read the series every time a new release date is announced

Nah, whenever I try to re-read something I remember the rest of the book as I'm starting it and have to find something else to read.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I like that the argument here is based on "The author claiming things would be done by X date don't count"

Provide a quote from Butcher stating the book would be done by a certain time and I'll send you an av cert.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Provide a quote from Butcher stating the book would be done by a certain time and I'll send you an av cert.

"The book will be done five minutes before you read this."

- Jim Butcher, probably.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ornamented Death posted:

People were posting links to him saying as much on Twitter in this very thread? Keep your av cert, I've never paid for an avatar and this one will be replaced at some point anyway the next time a gimmick thread happens where random avatars are handed out.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

No, they posted quotes of him saying he's working on it but doesn't know when it'll be done, as well as quotes detailing why it's taking so long. Butcher learned his lesson about promising when a book will be finished with Ghost Story, he's been careful not to give specifics.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
This was posted in 2018 with nobody coming along to say that the person in the image didn't work for Jim or that they were incorrect about the completion date (until after that deadline passed and was pushed back).

Vicissitude posted:

A little update for Dresden folks:

6 weeks to finish, then what, 4-6 months for final publishing?

It's happened, but nobody really cares all that much any more because Jim Butcher pushing back the next Dresden book is just the usual thing.

Whoever posted "See you guys in 2021 when the book is released!" way back around page 100 or whatever is probably correct.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fair enough. Since you don't want the av cert, want me toss an equivalent amount towards a charity?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ornamented Death posted:

Fair enough. Since you don't want the av cert, want me toss an equivalent amount towards a charity?

Yes, I think Direct Relief is going to need everything anybody can spare for it in the near future.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yes, I think Direct Relief is going to need everything anybody can spare for it in the near future.

Let's see if I can master uploading an image with the app...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
What a civil disagreement and resolution! Icing on the cake of two Dresden books this year

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i cant afford two dresden books this year

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Up Circle posted:

i cant afford two dresden books this year

Wait for the fire sale.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Doing a re-read of the most recent half-dozen or so to get hyped for Peace Talks. I wasn't super duper thrilled with Ghost Story the first time I read it (to be fair Changes is a tough act to follow) so it had been years since I last read it. Came across a bit of foreshadowing that got me amped as fuuuuuuck. Harry's getting shown around the Better Future Group and one of the viking warrior dudes asks Butters when he's going to step in the the ring and learn how to fight.

(MASSIVE Skin Game Spoiler)

"About five minutes after I get a functioning lightsaber."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

This was posted in 2018 with nobody coming along to say that the person in the image didn't work for Jim or that they were incorrect about the completion date (until after that deadline passed and was pushed back).

It's happened, but nobody really cares all that much any more because Jim Butcher pushing back the next Dresden book is just the usual thing.

Whoever posted "See you guys in 2021 when the book is released!" way back around page 100 or whatever is probably correct.

gently caress it, it's not like anybody died for lack of a new Dresden Files novel over the past five years or so. An unusual confluence of events hosed with Butcher's ability to get the book(s) done sooner. But the books are and they're presumably being shipped to various warehouses in preparation for their release dates.

And in the meantime, I read other stuff. I'm still very much looking forward to getting a double dose of Dresden this year with the idea of getting more Butcher books on a more regular schedule as time goes on.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm ready for more Cinder Spires books, The Aeronaut's Windlass scratched an itch I didn't know I had.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm ready for more Cinder Spires books, The Aeronaut's Windlass scratched an itch I didn't know I had.

I need to reread that, but I did recall a distinct lack of teenage boobtalk and sexual slavery, so it was definitely a step up.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy crap, I didn't know the latest Rivers of London book was out!

(False Values spoilers) It was pretty fun, but it felt like he didn't do much with the AI stuff and the undercover concept was kinda half-baked; I think it would've worked better as a straight-up "Post-suspension Peter does Wizard Cop Stuff" deal without the Silicon Valley Confidential angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

OmniBeer posted:

I had missed this when it came out, and I needed this tonight.