Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Master mode was the perfect chance for Nintendo to do some rebalancing with the food/armor systems to make it the fun kind of challenging. Instead they went with the shittiest option and made it awful.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Takoluka posted:

What Araxxor is referring to is when a huge idiot had a tantrum over Akiba's Beat and the alteration of the words "KKK Witches" on a wall to "AKK Witches." The original devs weren't aware of what the KKK was, so they were on-board with the change. Huge idiot decided it was censorship and requested that his name be removed from the credits. Xseed company policy states that in doing this, his name would be removed from the credits of all future games from Xseed, regardless of his involvement. I am net neutral on his particular situation, because while Xseed is garbage for that, this guy was very upset that Senran Kagura games had the girls' ages removed, because "that's censorship."

I posted on the same forum as this particular dipshit for many years and his sole concern about "censorship" began and ended at anything related to nudity and age of girls in anime games and under no circumstances could he be persuaded that a girl's age being raised to 18 rather than 13 was anything less than the destruction of the very concept of capital A Art Itself

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

Master mode was the perfect chance for Nintendo to do some rebalancing with the food/armor systems to make it the fun kind of challenging. Instead they went with the shittiest option and made awful.

I do like the more agressive AI and enemies showing up in different spots but the regenerating health sucks. I still plan on doing a MM run next time I play though.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Not using fast travel is one of those things that really reminds me that other people enjoy things I loving hate. If I wanted to have to put in effort to get back somewhere I've been, I've got real life.

Fast travel is redundant anyway when you can just stasis a log and ride it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know in Xenoblade 1 I'm supposed to break then topple, I just can't remember which if the 500 moves my character and his companions have does that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Leal posted:

Nintendo what segdoesn't.

Nintendoes what Segavoids.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I will not use fast travel in games where interesting stuff can actually happen on the road, like Zelda or Skyrim. The latter meant that I would even limit my looting of tombs and dungeons to the best value/weight poo poo, and a couple of times I think I even schlepped back to a house halfway through a dungeon to unload poo poo before running back for more. Coinciding with this I will also keep a little log of interesting poo poo/quests I need to do in a certain area and plan my movements around the map accordingly. I also try to eat and sleep at relatively realistic and regular intervals. I really enjoyed the plethora of food in Skyrim and treating my character to a hearty meal and ale once they'd finished a dungeon. Maybe this means my brain is broken?

In games like DQXI then yeah I'm fast travelling everywhere.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I've got like two hours play time on Xenoblade 2. Should I play 1 before carrying on? Or is it not related games like Final Fantasy?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It is not related until like 60 hours into the game when it suddenly is but to be honest you don't *really* need to know, it stands on its own just fine.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I know in Xenoblade 1 I'm supposed to break then topple, I just can't remember which if the 500 moves my character and his companions have does that

the pink one and then the green one

Spiteski posted:

I've got like two hours play time on Xenoblade 2. Should I play 1 before carrying on? Or is it not related games like Final Fantasy?

There is a story connection but it's not very important for playing through 2. Although it might actually spoil some stuff in Xenoblade 1 if you finish 2 first.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know it’s two rather different games but a fight never bore me in Dark Souls where in BotW it didn’t long for me to want to avoid them. Could be that once the danger is gone you just have to mash the button. Could be the relative lack of enemy diversity and moves. I don’t know, it’s just wildly dull.

It's probably that one is designed around difficult enemy encounters that force the player to learn and excel at the mechanics while the other prioritizes exploration much more to the point where the combat is half-baked with no real balance.

Basically don't play BotW for the combat, you'll probably enjoy exploring more unless you're one of those players who love doing really crazy bizarre poo poo to defeat Lynels.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I really wish Fallout New Vegas was on this thing and it bums me out that it will never happen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually prefer not fast traveling in Skyrim but don't mind doing it all the time in BOTW. I don't know why that is, but it is how it is. I've found a poo poo ton of extra, neat content in Skyrim just from walking around, and I actually enjoy switching up my playstyle to have to concern myself with how much I can carry, what's really worth picking up, planning my route accordingly.

gently caress, I should get skyrim on Switch....

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

gently caress, I should get skyrim on Switch....

I've played Skyrim on drat near every platform, and Switch is by far my favorite. I'll always choose portable over anything else though when it comes to gaming.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ErrEff posted:

"The computer rendered graphics aren't the only wild thing about Donkey Kong Land"

Wait. What the hell is "Super Gameboy"

Oh, it's just that 32X-like adapter that lets you plug a Game Boy cart into a SNES

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Wait. What the hell is "Super Gameboy"

Oh, it's just that 32X-like adapter that lets you plug a Game Boy cart into a SNES

It ruled. Back before backlights were a thing the original GB screen was.. rough to see if you weren't in good lighting.

Playing GB games on a TV in 'crystal clear' quality was amazing, better yet it also enabled colour in some unique games and different palettes in others.
To top it off it off some games gave you custom borders for the TV - http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/sgb/

It was a really really really good peripheral.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
too bad it doesn't actually play the games at the right framerate unless you have the Japan only SGB2

the SGB2 also has an atomic purple shell so it's really better in every way

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Infinitum posted:

It ruled. Back before backlights were a thing the original GB screen was.. rough to see if you weren't in good lighting.

Playing GB games on a TV in 'crystal clear' quality was amazing, better yet it also enabled colour in some unique games and different palettes in others.
To top it off it off some games gave you custom borders for the TV - http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/sgb/

It was a really really really good peripheral.

The Super Game Boy was also secretly a powerful, idiosyncratic peripheral. Christine Love did a series of blog posts on it and it's really fascinating. It had a lot of features, like applying different palettes to different sections of the screen, that could make Game Boy games a lot prettier but that basically nobody bothered using extensively. Because, well, nobody owned a Super Game Boy anyway.

There was also a GameCube peripheral that could play Game Boy Advance games, which I remember equally fondly although I don't think it was nearly as odd.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Bloop posted:

:thunk:

An interesting trick but definitely not essential

If you're using a splatling, it's the quickest way to change your direction while still firing a clip, especially with the heavy.

Andrast posted:

rebalancing with the food/armor systems

I don't like the master mode as is, but these are the two things they didn't need to touch. Player moderation is all it takes for these to not be an issue. There's literally an in game mechanic to power down.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 3, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

nrook posted:

The Super Game Boy was also secretly a powerful, idiosyncratic peripheral. Christine Love did a series of blog posts on it and it's really fascinating. It had a lot of features, like applying different palettes to different sections of the screen, that could make Game Boy games a lot prettier but that basically nobody bothered using extensively. Because, well, nobody owned a Super Game Boy anyway.

There was also a GameCube peripheral that could play Game Boy Advance games, which I remember equally fondly although I don't think it was nearly as odd.
Did they ever release something similar for the N64? Seems like a missed opportunity (then again, maybe not if the Super GB sales were disappointing).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeXReX posted:

too bad it doesn't actually play the games at the right framerate unless you have the Japan only SGB2
Literally no one was aware of this problem until years after it came out. Even now most people wouldn't notice even if they did know about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would be about 10 years between my owning a gameboy and the first time I would ever hear or read the term “frame rate”

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

anatomi posted:

Did they ever release something similar for the N64?

The Wide-Boy was a GBC/GBA shim for the N64 that was sold to developers and the press, but not the general public.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

No, it wasn't. It's really fun once you got used to the controls. The biggest downfall was not having online mp imo.

I found the controls to be really difficult and not fun. I put it away after about 5 hours and I'm glad I only paid $5 for the thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

If you're using a splatling, it's the quickest way to change your direction while still firing a clip, especially with the heavy.

Oh you right

I misread the part about the splatling

Not even close to my favorite weapon class

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm all about the heavy splatling and L2 nozzlenose, though I was a brush main in og.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nrook posted:

The GBA Player kept the link cable attachment. We've played Crystal Chronicles and 4 Swords with one player being a GameCube before

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

anatomi posted:

Did they ever release something similar for the N64? Seems like a missed opportunity (then again, maybe not if the Super GB sales were disappointing).

Pokemon Stadium let you play the gameboy pokemon games on it, and you could even unlock a speed up function.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

The GBA Player kept the link cable attachment. We've played Crystal Chronicles and 4 Swords with one player being a GameCube before

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The forbidden combination

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't like the master mode as is, but these are the two things they didn't need to touch. Player moderation is all it takes for these to not be an issue. There's literally an in game mechanic to power down.

I prefer it when games don't become trivially easy when you engage with the game mechanics at all.

I do understand why they made the design decisions they did though. Its a game for all ages and you don't want that to be too demanding. A hard mode would have been the perfect place to adjust those systems so that they are less broken since it wouldn't have affected the core gameplay for people who don't specifically seek out harder stuff.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 3, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

An option for Master Mode where you could tweak the difficulty would have been nice.

Been spoiled with Celeste and it's range of assist options.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Instead of changing base game values, they decided to change the monsters health, which was a decent solution, until no one shushed the guy who suggested it be regenerating.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

An option for Master Mode where you could tweak the difficulty would have been nice.

Been spoiled with Celeste and it's range of assist options.

Yeah that would have been great. I don't think Nintendo would ever do something like that though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I went to play BotW for the first time since it came out and decided I'd try Master Mode, whereupon I ran up to a bokoblin, broke my axe on it, and died

durability is real bad, folks

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Basically any game where added difficulty is just “every enemy is now a crazy bullet sponge” is doing difficulty scaling wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm trying to use my Switch Pro controller on my PC, but it seems to just press random buttons constantly. Steam has a workaround, but that doesn't really help for non-Steam games (or things like using it as a discord push to talk). Some googling brought up people with the same issue but most of them were from 2018 and seemed specifically about Steam. Has anyone bumped into this and fixed it?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember this. THE GIGAQUAD!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man, those guys did some of the last LPs I ever watched. Are they still at it? Their Sonic 06 run was incredible and something I share with absolutely no one because it was too long to ever recommend to anyone. General Tso's remains ideas to me and me alone.

On topic, I do wish they would port 4 Swords Heroes along with Crystal Chronicles. I also wish that Crystal Chronicles would come the gently caress out already, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

barkbell posted:

got botw by recommendations of this thread, a few hours in, does this game get harder?

Stronger variants of enemies will appear as you defeat them. It goes red -> blue -> black -> silver.