Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wet hot American summer ten years later did it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

community did it in the jack black episode, it was pretty funny

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Did Nathan For You do this, too? Why's he at the top of this page?
Image was posted without the caption
https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don't piss off the Lost writers

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Just finished the season, another stellar effort. This is still the best show on TV for my money. There may be a show or two I like more, but I think this is the highest quality in terms of acting, story, and shooting. The scene in Bad Choice Road (best episode of the season) with Kim, Saul, and Lalo was off the charts good. Tony Dalton gets into the so charismatic you almost like them bad guys territory with the best of them.

Tony Dalton is the best villain in the Breaking Bad verse, at least on the cartel side. All of the Salamancas are heartless killers who can go from zero to killing you in nothing flat, but his brand of affable, laughing psychopath is even scarier than Tuco or Hector in his prime. They got so many great scenes from one character who was mentioned exactly once in all of Breaking Bad.

The scene Bulky mentioned was indeed phenomenal. It was arguably the best scene produced in the last year of television. All of it. They even got the network to front load the episode with commercial breaks because the last 18 minutes had to air uninterrupted. The writing was great, the direction was great, all three performances were great. If that scene doesn't finally get Rhea Seahorn her Emmy I will be very upset. She's very solidly established herself as one of the best actresses working today; although the fantastic material she's been getting and excellent direction can't have hurt. Kim Wexler is the best character on TV, and in large part it's the actress elevating already good writing.

The show as a whole is run by a creative team with a lot of Breaking Bad alumni. They had five years to hone their craft on a very well done show, and that was obvious from the start of BCS. It's a slick production, well written, well directed, and beautifully shot. The cast is solid.

Best show on TV ? Probably. It's on the short list for sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't piss off the Lost writers

If it helps, I loved The Leftovers.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I had no idea they filmed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br4jFRXFvXM

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This is incredible.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I think I might know why.

edit: I misread as "I had no idea why they filmed this" We all know

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If Kimmy saw this work of art she wouldn't have chastised Jimmy for it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

I just kind of wish that Kim could put Walter White in his place. Goddamn, that'd be wonderful to see.

That wouldn't end well for Kim. White was more of a destructive force of nature than an actual human being

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just finished season five.

Maybe season six will finally be the season the show feels like it has a cohesive identity and justifies its own existence? It's so weird; the acting is great, it's well shot and decently paced, but when I think about the show as "a whole" or what I'm meant to feel, I just come away completely apathetic. I never wondered how Gus built his big cool lab and having seen how he did it, I don't know why it was a story worth telling.

I like this show as an exploration of Jimmy and Kim, and some flavour of cartel fun around the edges would have helped dramatise that a bit, but by making Gus and the cartel a major element of the show I can't help but feel like they misfired. I know I might be in the minority, but I can't bring myself to care about some cartel business where we know the ultimate fates of most of the major players. What am I meant to actually feel when the chicken shop is burned down? Kinda worried about Nacho, I guess, but "kind of worried about Nacho" is the only role he's served since the show began.

I dunno, it's weird. I think the first season is a kind of perfect story and explanation of why Jimmy is the way he is; everything after that just kinda feels like window-dressing and reiteration.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I just kind of wish that Kim could put Walter White in his place. Goddamn, that'd be wonderful to see.

i'd prefer not to see kim get murdered by the manchild

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I always forget of all the things they decided to show in bcs, the kevin costner thing haha

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Calico Heart posted:

I never wondered how Gus built his big cool lab and having seen how he did it, I don't know why it was a story worth telling.

I loving loved the WERNER ZIEGLER subplot... he was an amazing character.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I agree that I never was curious about how the superlab was built but they somehow managed to wring out a great story out of that. The disconnect of the two plots has been *greatly* reduced now too, and has never been a huge problem for me, so I personally disagree. Season 1 was good but I feel like the show really found its footing once it could allow itself to be a more complex narrative about its characters.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe season six will finally be the season the show feels like it has a cohesive identity and justifies its own existence? It's so weird; the acting is great, it's well shot and decently paced, but when I think about the show as "a whole" or what I'm meant to feel, I just come away completely apathetic. I never wondered how Gus built his big cool lab and having seen how he did it, I don't know why it was a story worth telling.

I like this show as an exploration of Jimmy and Kim, and some flavour of cartel fun around the edges would have helped dramatise that a bit, but by making Gus and the cartel a major element of the show I can't help but feel like they misfired. I know I might be in the minority, but I can't bring myself to care about some cartel business where we know the ultimate fates of most of the major players. What am I meant to actually feel when the chicken shop is burned down? Kinda worried about Nacho, I guess, but "kind of worried about Nacho" is the only role he's served since the show began.

I dunno, it's weird. I think the first season is a kind of perfect story and explanation of why Jimmy is the way he is; everything after that just kinda feels like window-dressing and reiteration.

I don't know how much of a minority opinion it is but I found season 5 to be the weakest of all of them due to the increased focus on the cartel and the Howard subplot feeling like a reach. Really feels like it's become more and more of the rote prequel you would expect it to be.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 30, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This season ruled and maybe I'm just nostalgic for uh..February 8, 2015 to April 18, 2016 but stuff like squat cobbler, buttholes, kellerman campouts are more interesting than the cartel stuff. And chuck was the best antagonist in either series

The last season will whip rear end of course

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Rather than the cartel stuff in general it's the Gus/superlab stuff in particular which feels extraneous. It really seems like a bad idea to bring Gus into the show, at least the way they did it. They establish him as being under the thumb of the big boys down Mexico way, which is the same state he was in at the beginning of Breaking Bad, so there's not much else he can do except be secretly disobedient. Like if they'd had a story about him falling back under the thumb of the cartel, or extricating himself from a different situation we didn't see, there might be a story there. You could probably wring something out of Gus establishing a network or getting in with Madrigal, something which might even require some legal consultation.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Oooooooo, that's something I haven't seen considered yet. Saul doesn't know anything about banking/corporate law, but what if Kim gets in with Gus and is cooking books or something for Madrigal or Los Pollos under penalty of :ese:? Might be one way to keep her alive but in some cushy office job in another city so she never appeared in NM during BB.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was thinking not even necessarily illegal stuff, or at most questionably legal stuff. It would have to be a minor plot point; Kim helping Gus franchise Los Pollos Hermanos all over the southwest like she did the bank would be far too silly for my liking, but you could definitely write a plausible several episode arc guest starring Giarcarlo Esposito about stuff caught up in shipping, or workers failing a background check and their visas getting denied. I'd rather have had that than like three seasons of building a meth lab.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Rochallor posted:

Rather than the cartel stuff in general it's the Gus/superlab stuff in particular which feels extraneous. It really seems like a bad idea to bring Gus into the show, at least the way they did it. They establish him as being under the thumb of the big boys down Mexico way, which is the same state he was in at the beginning of Breaking Bad, so there's not much else he can do except be secretly disobedient. Like if they'd had a story about him falling back under the thumb of the cartel, or extricating himself from a different situation we didn't see, there might be a story there. You could probably wring something out of Gus establishing a network or getting in with Madrigal, something which might even require some legal consultation.

You know, if they had presented the Gus story as him being cocky and on the top of his game before slowly falling back under the thumb of the cartel, it not only would have made for a more interesting story but actually enriched his character in Breaking Bad.

But I think people wanted "Cool Gus!" so they couldn't really have a "fall" story or present him any differently. So Gus is just an unemotional, stony-faced man who quietly tells people what to do. For six seasons of screentime now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rochallor posted:

I agree with this being the real issue, rather than the cartel stuff in general, though I have a perhaps slightly different view on how to deal with it. BB Gus might have been under the thumb of the cartel, but they were a distant overlord that allowed him quite a lot of freedom as long as he was making them money. Put BCS Gus in a position of absolute subjugation to Hector, a man who doesn't trust Gus and who is right there to keep an eye on him, and you've made Gus a far more vulnerable character - quite distinct from his BB self - even more so because of their personal history. Yes, the story would still be one of getting back at the cartel and taking over, but from a very different position.

I do like the idea of the Madrigal connection getting more play, of Gus using his legitimate business as a cover for activities he doesn't want the cartel to know about, just as much as it's a cover vis-a-vis law enforcement. Admittedly in large parts because I want to see how you approach convincing the most nervous woman in the world to join your criminal empire when you're not even an empire yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I agree with this being the real issue, rather than the cartel stuff in general, though I have a perhaps slightly different view on how to deal with it. BB Gus might have been under the thumb of the cartel, but they were a distant overlord that allowed him quite a lot of freedom as long as he was making them money. Put BCS Gus in a position of absolute subjugation to Hector, a man who doesn't trust Gus and who is right there to keep an eye on him, and you've made Gus a far more vulnerable character - quite distinct from his BB self - even more so because of their personal history. Yes, the story would still be one of getting back at the cartel and taking over, but from a very different position.

I do like the idea of the Madrigal connection getting more play, of Gus using his legitimate business as a cover for activities he doesn't want the cartel to know about, just as much as it's a cover vis-a-vis law enforcement. Admittedly in large parts because I want to see how you approach convincing the most nervous woman in the world to join your criminal empire when you're not even an empire yet.

Lydia's already on board, isn't she?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah Lydia was helping him convince her boss not to bail on him even

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yes. I was talking about a hypothetical entirely different Gus storyline, with Lydia being introduced much earlier.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Inner Light posted:

WERNER ZIEGLER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdKi5Ynk88

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"He's he up to man?" I love Tony Dalton.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was hoping this was an edit of Lalo just repeating it over and over again.

Sort of like what someone did with Keyboard Quinn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyM_JjN7yw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I miss those Dexter edits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I miss those Dexter edits.

I think there were really only two.

This was the other one, and is also lovely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TsSHqVd724

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like there was definitely a BLACK SUV edit, but I may also have just seen that gif a lot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's also this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjJRgpuoKU

God I loved that stupid loving show :allears:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I liked this one that was comparing the tense and dramatic scenes in Breaking Bad and Dexter in episodes that were airing at roughly the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwV6gZcSH8

Matbacon
Aug 5, 2014
A favourite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmNCachEKA

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*old robocop smashes his car into the car of the man he's tailing, giving up his identity to the target, likely bringing two independent insurance companies into the equation to investigate the collision, and causing potentially thousands in damages*

"its an old P.I. trick"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was a fun thread. Hatewatching can be a lot of fun, but requires certain elements I can't quite pin down.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was a fun thread. Hatewatching can be a lot of fun, but requires certain elements I can't quite pin down.

it has to start out decent enough for you to actually start watching and enjoy it but not so amazing that you'll be crushed if it becomes bad, and then needs to decline so rapidly that it skips passed boring and mediocre straight into complete trainwreck that you can't look away from

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

It got poo poo, but in a novel way e.g. The Saga of Quinn's Weird Hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The best part was that the actors for Dexter and Debra were brother and sister on the show (but not really) and they got married in real life, then got divorced in real life, and then started dating on the show.