Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I vaguely remember something a few versions of iOS ago where other apps could make non-destructive changes to photos, similar to the in-built filters.

Can anyone recommend a good app with a bunch of nice looking pre-set photo filters that do non-destructive changes rather than saving a whole new file? I really don't like any of the stock filters ever since they got changed a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Question Mark Mound posted:

Can anyone recommend a good app with a bunch of nice looking pre-set photo filters that do non-destructive changes rather than saving a whole new file? I really don't like any of the stock filters ever since they got changed a few years ago.

VSCO can save changes in-app only as an option (not sure if that's what you're looking for). They have the best filters out there IMO. For better or worse they changed to a subscription model however. The base app is free so you can try it at least.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fly Ricky posted:

VSCO can save changes in-app only as an option (not sure if that's what you're looking for). They have the best filters out there IMO. For better or worse they changed to a subscription model however. The base app is free so you can try it at least.
I’ll download it today and see if it works, thanks!

Edit: Hm, sadly not. For the filtered one to display in the Photos app it needs to be saved as a duplicate photo.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 27, 2020

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I vaguely remember something a few versions of iOS ago where other apps could make non-destructive changes to photos, similar to the in-built filters.

For it to support the non-destructive changes, I believe it has to be activated from the Photos app -> Edit -> [...] -> app list that pops up, rather than opening whatever app directly and then loading a photo.

I never really use filters so I can't really judge the quality, but Camera+ and Pixelmator both work as you want. I more often use Retouch in this workflow to magic-erase things from photos.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Froist posted:

For it to support the non-destructive changes, I believe it has to be activated from the Photos app -> Edit -> [...] -> app list that pops up, rather than opening whatever app directly and then loading a photo.

I never really use filters so I can't really judge the quality, but Camera+ and Pixelmator both work as you want. I more often use Retouch in this workflow to magic-erase things from photos.
Ahh, I knew there was some weird knack to it.

Seems like I already had Darkroom installed and it'll let me make and save a bunch of filter presets so I can work on that for a bit, maybe try to recreate how some of the old iOS filters looked!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone have any thoughts on EpocCam vs iVCam vs Camera for OBS Studio vs anything else? Are they all functionally the same? Seems like they all only support up to 1080p, and none do 4k?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

frogbs posted:

Posted this in the iPad thread, but this might be a more appropriate place:

I’ve been using Terminus to do some SSH stuff on my iPad, and it largely works great. The only thing bothering me so far is that I can’t select and copy/paste text from within terminal windows easily. Does anyone know if other apps like Prompt allow this? That might be enough for me to switch...

I use prompt and selecting and copying text is just like any other text field.

Just double-tap on the text you want, it brings up the selector, then you can refine/copy/etc.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Protocol7 posted:

I use prompt and selecting and copying text is just like any other text field.

Just double-tap on the text you want, it brings up the selector, then you can refine/copy/etc.

Thanks! I think I might spring for Prompt then, I usually really like Panic's stuff.

Have you used 'Code Editor by Panic' (formerly Diet Coda)? I'm looking for a combined SFTP client/editor too and that looks to be one of my only options.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jazz Marimba posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on EpocCam vs iVCam vs Camera for OBS Studio vs anything else? Are they all functionally the same? Seems like they all only support up to 1080p, and none do 4k?

NDI HX Camera is free right now and supports 4K (and OBS Studio supports NDI input.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

frogbs posted:

Thanks! I think I might spring for Prompt then, I usually really like Panic's stuff.

Have you used 'Code Editor by Panic' (formerly Diet Coda)? I'm looking for a combined SFTP client/editor too and that looks to be one of my only options.

I have not, I mostly use Prompt for on-the-fly server admin stuff (mostly because I work with an off-shore team who seems to be completely clueless how to use systemd services, so I always have to jump in and restart services).

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is it impossible for iMovie to export an mp4 file on iOS? I swear I’ve somehow done it in the past.

I have to upload videos for my classes now and it takes weeks for our server to process MOV files. Right now I’m exporting and then using Handbrake on my PC to convert the file, but the computer sucks so it takes forever.

If iMovie can’t do it, is there a better solution than my current method?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Purchase WALTR.

EDIT: Maybe not, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

cryptoclastic posted:

Is it impossible for iMovie to export an mp4 file on iOS? I swear I’ve somehow done it in the past.

I have to upload videos for my classes now and it takes weeks for our server to process MOV files. Right now I’m exporting and then using Handbrake on my PC to convert the file, but the computer sucks so it takes forever.

Don’t you have you to ‘share’ your project then ‘save video’?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

frogbs posted:

Don’t you have you to ‘share’ your project then ‘save video’?

Tried it on the iPhone and iPad and they both came out as a MOV file.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

Depending on size you might get away with an online converter. Just google .mov to .mp4 converter. Won’t work for a 90 minute 4K movie but for a short lesson it should be pretty quick.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

What you might want to do is remux rather than re-encode; it will go much faster. I don't use Handbrake so I have no idea if it has a 'just remux it' setting you could use.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

astral posted:

What you might want to do is remux rather than re-encode; it will go much faster. I don't use Handbrake so I have no idea if it has a 'just remux it' setting you could use.

This appears to work! I’ve been using OBS to record and I just threw it in the and turned it from a MOV to an mp4. Yay!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Looking to replace Chrome Remote Desktop for remoting into my Mac and gaming PC from my phone.

Looking at Screens and Jump and was wondering if anyone has any leaning either way. Even better if you've used both and have a reason to prefer one over the other.

I'm leaning towards Screens personally since the UI looks a little cleaner and more Apple-like

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

101 posted:

Looking to replace Chrome Remote Desktop for remoting into my Mac and gaming PC from my phone.

Looking at Screens and Jump and was wondering if anyone has any leaning either way. Even better if you've used both and have a reason to prefer one over the other.

I'm leaning towards Screens personally since the UI looks a little cleaner and more Apple-like

I'm a big fan of RealVNC's VNCViewer.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Jump Desktop is incredibly good. It was one of the first apps ever on iOS to support external mice (just a couple mice, but still), which was neat. It does RDP and VNC perfectly. I use it all the time to administer home and work machines.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was recommended Jump to replace TeamViewer, and install it on everything I use now and bought licenses for iOS and macOS. I use it constantly, it's good stuff.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Jump it is. Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a bunch of videos I’ve converted to mkv and thrown up onto my iCloud Drive. Is there any way for me to just stream these directly on my iPhone or iPad or do I need to manually download them each to watch them?

Tried browsing my iCloud files via nPlayer but the videos don’t show for some reason.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I have a bunch of videos I’ve converted to mkv and thrown up onto my iCloud Drive. Is there any way for me to just stream these directly on my iPhone or iPad or do I need to manually download them each to watch them?

Tried browsing my iCloud files via nPlayer but the videos don’t show for some reason.

VLC can open files from iCloud, it’s under
network->cloud services

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

VLC can open files from iCloud, it’s under
network->cloud services
Seems to require a local download rather than a stream but works better than nPlayer at least, cheers!

edit: Side note, but holy loving lol, I tried sending a link to a shared folder on iCloud (now that they finally restored folder sharing) and turns out it's completely inaccessible to them if they're not an Apple user with their own iCloud account. There was me hoping that there might be an extra benefit I can use since I'm paying for a higher tier in order to keep my photo library stored online but nope, Apple still can't play nice with anyone not in their ecosystem. :(

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 3, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No gently caress you outlook how about making reply to all not the default option (that can’t be changed as far as I saw).

I’ve never done it but gently caress it’s stupid that it’s the default behavior.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

No gently caress you outlook how about making reply to all not the default option (that can’t be changed as far as I saw).

I’ve never done it but gently caress it’s stupid that it’s the default behavior.

Did you send them a comment or question through their in-app support in Settings? They'd love to hear from you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

astral posted:

Did you send them a comment or question through their in-app support in Settings? They'd love to hear from you.

I’m going to link them my post.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Reply all is the default on every mail app, isn’t it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i use mail.app on my phone and outlook on my pc. in both of those apps, when you go to reply to an email there are two buttons, reply and reply all. having a default behavior at all sounds bizarre

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

Jump Desktop is incredibly good. It was one of the first apps ever on iOS to support external mice (just a couple mice, but still), which was neat. It does RDP and VNC perfectly. I use it all the time to administer home and work machines.

I've been using Parallels Desktop which has served me fine this past year, but I'm always looking for alternatives. I'm not entirely pleased with how Parallels responds to key commands often, but I have a bad feeling that's at the OS level. Thanks.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Anyone have a good recommendation for a 2D CAD app on iPad? Tried AutoCAD as I’m used to working with it on PC, but on iOS you don’t really have the full feature set. Sketchup does not allow editing, and Shapr3D requires the pencil which I don’t have.
Thanks in advance!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The latest iOS/iPadOS kindle apps now lose your book’s position if you background or kill the app. Thanks amazon!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The latest iOS/iPadOS kindle apps now lose your book’s position if you background or kill the app. Thanks amazon!

still works normally for me. have you tried reinstalling the app?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

still works normally for me. have you tried reinstalling the app?

Same. Just tested it, zero issues.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow my Gmail just switched over to dark mode without an app update so I guess it is some remote feature enable geegaw. Anyway, fuckin finally!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Wow my Gmail just switched over to dark mode without an app update so I guess it is some remote feature enable geegaw. Anyway, fuckin finally!

Me too!!!

gently caress YOU GOOGLE FINALLY YOU FUCKERS

Only gripe I have is that when you delete something the lower bar is blinding white.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I’m having this issue and it’s only with .mobi files gotten from other ecosystems/sites (like Project Gutenberg). Contacted amazing support for fun, apparently they didn’t know this was an issue and now I’m supposed to wait for a call back for more details for an escalated ticket. I... don’t expect to ever get that call back but yep. Yeppppp. Rly annoying.

You can manually force it to “remember” the location if you have whispersync enabled and in the book you hit the hamburger button and hit sync.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

Me too!!!

gently caress YOU GOOGLE FINALLY YOU FUCKERS

Only gripe I have is that when you delete something the lower bar is blinding white.

Yeah that’s pretty janky and a lot of emails display with dark grey text. Very google-y of them.

Stuff like the buttons in humble bundle emails show as a dark dark green with dark grey text instead of bright green with white text, it’s a bit of a gong show imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah that’s pretty janky and a lot of emails display with dark grey text. Very google-y of them.

Stuff like the buttons in humble bundle emails show as a dark dark green with dark grey text instead of bright green with white text, it’s a bit of a gong show imo.

Hey man they only had 8 months to beta test this. I think they deserve a break for working so hard! (They've been doing A/B testing on this since at least oct.)