Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ah, "Fellas, Is It Gay?" This game never seems to go out of style

https://twitter.com/commie_cum/status/1256306355188535296?s=20

Pretty sure I've seen an unironic "Its gay to like girls because that means you like femininity" take from crazy internet pepes, though i guess it could've been a troll.

All this BiNet stuff comes off as though someone is suddenly desperate for money and has decided this flag is 100% their ticket out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Page 69 :nice:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

A gamer complaining about a video game lady's tits being too big

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MizPiz posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise that gamers don't like female characters to be developed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MizPiz posted:

I wouldn’t exactly call Varg Vikernes a gamer. Dude is an insane, church burning, murderer. Don’t think he’s really a JPRG dude. Loves him some loving runes though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MizPiz posted:

Varg is one of the most famous figures in the development of Scandinavian black metal. That means he's a guy who stabbed another musician to death, burned down a bunch of churches because paganism, and distances from other Nazis because they're not extreme enough for him.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wouldn’t exactly call Varg Vikernes a gamer. Dude is an insane, church burning, murderer. Don’t think he’s really a JPRG dude. Loves him some loving runes though.

Varg is actually massively into games, but the grognard racist type instead.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So as I've talked about itt I've done a fair amount of queer and trans organizing, starting from campus activism. And I saw a lot of this sort of behavior from people in these spaces. It often came from the loudest, most sectarian members of groups, and this flailing, incoherent appeals to social justice was often a way to control and constrict groups. (Yell at people who disagree with you until they learn not to or leave; discredit another person who is taking away attention from you.)

"Having for profit parties to sell bisexual merch while Black, Brown and Indigenous bisexuals, pansexuals, fluid, bi+ queer are buried at high rates was actually happening;"

Here we see basically a flurry of appeals to intersectionally oppressed groups, setting up the speaker as the sole savior who defends a group. The buried clause puts the pressure of life and death on the person's argument, cheaply tokenizing the suffering of the group to set up the second half of this.

"this is one way we see to educate folks about the history, while saying bi pride flag isn’t for profit."

Now we have the magic We that turns binet into every bisexual everywhere. (hello) The people arguing are accused of being interested in profit, whereas binet just wants to educate people.

I don't mean to sound too 4channy, but these people were the loving worst. They'd develop little cliques where a small group of constantly terrified lackies did Maoist self crit style poo poo to each other and other members at the whim of the Problematic Inquisitor. Any actual attempt to do, say, queer activism would be either shut down entirely or derailed with constant tangents on how terrible and privilaged other people were.

I don't want to be an armchair psychologist, but I did notice many of these people would talk about having BPD, cPTSD, and whatever else personality disorders. I don't really know of much being written about them, aside from comedy podcasts making fun of particular people like this. (Xeni comes to mind). They seriously sucked away a lot of potential activist praxis, made growing a group almost impossible once established (turns out being constantly haranged over imagined slights makes people stop showing up) and of course brought only the most juvenile, tumblr level incoherent analysis.

After a while I stopped being a part of the groups I'd find these people in, but there's almost always one or more of them in a moderately large community event or group. It sucks the life out of you just being near them, and before I really understood what was happening it really hurt to think that I was absolute garbage because I didn't think about trans disabled pacific islanders in my event planning, constantly trying to avoid upsetting the white able bodied cis woman who knew so much about their struggle when it suited her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/BrotiGupta/status/1256694343642963968?s=20

Broti is not the idiot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

T-man posted:

I don't want to be an armchair psychologist, but I did notice many of these people would talk about having BPD, cPTSD, and whatever else personality disorders. I don't really know of much being written about them, aside from comedy podcasts making fun of particular people like this. (Xeni comes to mind).

Just to make sure, you mean making fun of people who are just outrageous in causing trouble for others and not targeting people suffering from BPD or PTSD right?

T-man posted:

After a while I stopped being a part of the groups I'd find these people in, but there's almost always one or more of them in a moderately large community event or group. It sucks the life out of you just being near them, and before I really understood what was happening it really hurt to think that I was absolute garbage because I didn't think about trans disabled pacific islanders in my event planning, constantly trying to avoid upsetting the white able bodied cis woman who knew so much about their struggle when it suited her.

This poo poo is just the worst, yeah. It is so exhausting to be a part of a group that ostensibly is about one particular thing but ends up turning into something else because of people who are very quick to anger and go out of their way to try anything they can to target someone. What's worse is when the people in charge of the group don't do anything about it out of fear of upsetting the natural order of things even when those kinds of people are the toxic ones upsetting said natural order. :| I remember a similar thing happening to me relatively recently where a group I was in just became unsafe for me to be around because of someone who was always super quick to rewrite every narrative into them being personally attacked and escalating everything into an argument and fight. It just destroyed the entire group for me because I just don't have the energy to put up with someone like that.

It's a shame to see binet doing this. I'm not familiar with them but I'm bi and seeing them try to mess with the bi community by claiming ownership of the bi pride flag is just silly and I'm glad that they're being rightfully raked through the coals for it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TinaEva36789256/status/1256746690566131712

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

EL BROMANCE posted:

darkwasthenight posted:

Varg is actually massively into games, but the grognard racist type instead.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I keep reading binet not as bi-net, but bin-et. Not sure if it rhymes with bidet or if it's like binette.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RoboRodent posted:

I keep reading binet not as bi-net, but bin-et. Not sure if it rhymes with bidet or if it's like binette.

Yeah it's like spinet but bi, so a two-level spinet? A spinet with twice the range?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm curious if someone bought :sueme: (note the shortcode) or if a mod/Lowtax added it directly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

T-man posted:

So as I've talked about itt I've done a fair amount of queer and trans organizing, starting from campus activism. And I saw a lot of this sort of behavior from people in these spaces. It often came from the loudest, most sectarian members of groups, and this flailing, incoherent appeals to social justice was often a way to control and constrict groups. (Yell at people who disagree with you until they learn not to or leave; discredit another person who is taking away attention from you.)

"Having for profit parties to sell bisexual merch while Black, Brown and Indigenous bisexuals, pansexuals, fluid, bi+ queer are buried at high rates was actually happening;"

Here we see basically a flurry of appeals to intersectionally oppressed groups, setting up the speaker as the sole savior who defends a group. The buried clause puts the pressure of life and death on the person's argument, cheaply tokenizing the suffering of the group to set up the second half of this.

"this is one way we see to educate folks about the history, while saying bi pride flag isn’t for profit."

Now we have the magic We that turns binet into every bisexual everywhere. (hello) The people arguing are accused of being interested in profit, whereas binet just wants to educate people.

I don't mean to sound too 4channy, but these people were the loving worst. They'd develop little cliques where a small group of constantly terrified lackies did Maoist self crit style poo poo to each other and other members at the whim of the Problematic Inquisitor. Any actual attempt to do, say, queer activism would be either shut down entirely or derailed with constant tangents on how terrible and privilaged other people were.

I don't want to be an armchair psychologist, but I did notice many of these people would talk about having BPD, cPTSD, and whatever else personality disorders. I don't really know of much being written about them, aside from comedy podcasts making fun of particular people like this. (Xeni comes to mind). They seriously sucked away a lot of potential activist praxis, made growing a group almost impossible once established (turns out being constantly haranged over imagined slights makes people stop showing up) and of course brought only the most juvenile, tumblr level incoherent analysis.

The ironic upshot is that you never need to worry about spaces like BiNet ever getting real power because their only mechanisms for control-- social shaming-- are inherently limited, and if tin dictators had the savvy and the muscle to gain conventional power they would already be doing that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I'm curious if someone bought :sueme: (note the shortcode) or if a mod/Lowtax added it directly.

Someone in the gbs thread (corgski?) posted the image and it was bought almost immediately.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Varg is one of the most famous figures in the development of Scandinavian black metal. That means he's a guy who stabbed another musician to death, burned down a bunch of churches because paganism, and distances from other Nazis because they're not extreme enough for him.

I loved his feud with the golden one where they both accused each other of being Jewish agents leading people astray from the true faith (paganism and Christianity respectively)

Burzum were great, but there’s a lot of good metal bands who aren’t nazis. Should probably go through all the metal bands I’ve had on my iPod for years and check for other nazi ones

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

And just like that... blue lives didn't matter anymore

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/robertjhawke/status/1256398732867796993

The Punisher skull and "Punish the Guilty" tie it all together.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Literally "Bush is better than Trump because his acts of genocide were bipartisan and intentional"

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1256780608015138819?s=19

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kind of hard to come together when we have a demented conman and his cult of pet psychopaths ruining the country

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256957565562486784

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
There was a pretty good conversation in another pyf thread a while back about the problem of bad actors in leftist spaces. Due to a variety of factors, intersectional spaces like this are very attractive to narcissistic personality disorder folks. Apparently you need consistent reliance on rules, strong moderation, and leadership willing and able to eject people permanently, or else you likely end up a little kingdom ruled by narcissists and staffed by people terrified of saying the wrong thing and suddenly being an oppressor.

Of course many places dont or cant create and enforce consistent rules and keep folks like this out. This is part of why most online spaces fukkin' suck. Big chunks of Tumblr, YA author twitter, etc etc, just full of little narc kingdoms battling it out over e-turf like the lamest possible cyberpunk gangs.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Inceltown posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise that gamers don't like female characters to be developed.

:boom:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

quote:

1) How many children should starve in order to make you feel safe?
2) How many families must go bankrupt in order to make you feel safe?
3) How many business owners should lose everything they've worked for in order to make you feel safe?
4) How many people have to lose their jobs, their health insurance, their life savings, to make you feel safe?
Come up with the number of people that you think should surrender their lives for YOUR feelings and YOUR safety.
Does it make you feel safer knowing that your unwarranted fear and panic are costing others their livelihoods and even their own lives?
Each time you whine and complain about keeping the country shut down, remember what it's costing OTHER people for you to sit in your house watching TV, swallowing the panic narrative and hoarding toilet paper.
Also, remember this - if the TV news had never told you to be afraid of this virus, you wouldn't have been. You would have never given it a thought. You would have gone about your life as usual along with everyone else. You would likely have never known there was a virus at all. You would have thought that this was just another type of flu.
So, remember that all your fear and panic exists because you were TOLD to live in fear and panic. Regardless of whether things reopen or not, you still have the choice to stay home and not go places if you feel that is what is best for you and your family.
✨ shared from a friend ✨

If you were never told about the virus, you never would have noticed it existed :thunk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never in ten billion years would it ever occur to them that staying home is for OTHER PEOPLE'S benefit

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Data Graham posted:

Never in ten billion years would it ever occur to them that staying home is for OTHER PEOPLE'S benefit

They probably do understand that. They just don't give a poo poo about anyone else's benefit other than their own because freedom.

it's hyper individualism, fygm

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

seiferguy posted:

If you were never told about the virus, you never would have noticed it existed :thunk:

Wow and if I didn't know that cigarettes cause lung cancer, I could be smoking a pack a day! If I didn't know that germs cause disease I could stop washing my hands! Man, life is so much better now!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

seiferguy posted:

also who the gently caress is still only watching tv news

anyone who's not in a nursing home and a lot who are are at least looking at facebook

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The only thing that's making a lot of people wear masks when they go out in public is the mistaken perception it's for their own protection. The idea that someone would voluntarily inconvenience themselves for a minor benefit to others nearby that nonetheless makes a big societal difference is alien. So if that idea DID occur to them, they'd just stop staying home (and expect everyone else to either stay home or be at work, whichever is more convenient for them at that time).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

If only there was some way for people to stay home AND get the resources they need to survive.

In completely unrelated news, Elon Musk just lost billions of dollars for no loving reason.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

gently caress there's a guy on my facebook who is constantly posting corona memes and anti-trudeau stuff, and is now switching over to anti gun ban posts calling trudeau a dictator. I want to touch the poop, but I don't think that's a great idea.

What happened to facebook anyway? I go on like once or twice a day and it's nothing but food pictures, album covers and covid/gun control memes and conspiracy theories.

Someone mentioned this in a QCS thread recently and it stuck in my head, basically in any online community, the community degenerates to the worst level of posting that you tolerate. Facebook has basically no content moderation except for things that are actually both illegal and for which Facebook can be punished (case in point, something like 1 in 3 of Facebook's moderation staff worldwide are in Germany, because Germany actually has laws that punish Facebook for not taking down illegal content immediately), and they absolutely do not care about people posting conspiracy theories, death threats, whatever. So over time, Facebook gets taken over by people posting conspiracy theories and death threats, and people who don't want to see that stuff stop going on Facebook as often, which means more of the content is people posting conspiracy theories and death threats, which leads to a positive feedback loop of those things getting more and more common.

You can avoid this by carefully curating what things you see on Facebook or by only participating in groups with active moderation preventing people from posting like that, because then someone else is applying a higher standard of posting than Facebook itself allows. And as soon as you leave those more heavily-moderated bubbles, pretty much any public post about any subject rapidly descends into online culture wars fighting, because that's what Facebook tolerates and so that's what they get.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here in North Texas our resident moshpit club held a big house party two nights ago. One of them went to the hospital with a staph infection shortly after.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Here in North Texas our resident moshpit club held a big house party two nights ago. One of them went to the hospital with a staph infection shortly after.

What the hell is a mosh pit club? Do they just meet up and form a pit while playing a record because there’s no live music? Are half the members bowling ball shaped guys in Pantera shirts?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the plaid guy who seems like he didn't realize a photo was being taken

why is everyone standing so still ???

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Ferret King posted:

tag yourself I’m the dog’s butthole

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That dog is the only good thing in that image.

Edit:I'm the guy in the middle with the face and neck tattoos

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty has a new favorite as of 19:41 on May 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Pretty sure I've seen an unironic "Its gay to like girls because that means you like femininity" take from crazy internet pepes, though i guess it could've been a troll.

Ah circling back round to Roman gender politics I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Ferret King posted:

our resident moshpit club
The gently caress is this silly poo poo