Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think there's anything especially unique or American to to the concept of "relating to characters in a story." Especially something like a sitcom that asks you to just come back week after week, season after season because you just enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

I feel like I only ever see this sorta weird desire to "relate to" the main character from Americans, maybe because in the early 80s and 90s in British TV the main characters were all shitheads so we're used to it and it's not a new concept.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think there's anything especially unique or American to to the concept of "relating to characters in a story." Especially something like a sitcom that asks you to just come back week after week, season after season because you just enjoy it.

Having to "identify with" or "relate to" with characters is a very American thing, I agree. Taear is picking up on something.

I don't really run across it interacting with media from other cultures. It probably has to do with our racial hangups and compartmentalizing over here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just seems like a weird take to me. Stories have been crafting relatable characters for as long as they've been getting written. The entire point of parables or fairy tales was to create characters you could see yourself in. Connecting with a character has value. It gets you engrossed in the story and invested in the fates of the characters. It lets you relate to the story on a personal level.

Even "unlikable" protagonists or anti-heroes are often characters people end up relating with or connecting to in some way, which is how you get shows like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead where some viewers end up pushing back against the narrative because they like or sympathize with the villain too much.

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with non-American sitcoms or contemporary TV and there's some active split there. I can't say. But like... centuries of non-American storytelling has tons of the same hallmarks of relatable characters.

Certainly if you "can't" enjoy something unless you can project yourself into a character, that's maybe a weird hangup with something deeper to it. But I don't think that's remotely the same thing as liking or relating to characters in a sitcom.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 3, 2020

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Peep show is really good and every single character in that show is The Worst.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also love Its Always Sunny and if I ever felt I related to a character on that show I'd become very concerned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People like to relate to characters even magical Euros.

Doesn’t mean every story is like that

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

People like to relate to characters even magical Euros.

Doesn’t mean every story is like that

Exactly.

And relate doesn’t have to mean “that’s me writ large”. It can be “oh there’s an aspect of my personality” or “I know a guy just like that” etc...

And I while I’m no expert on English television I’ve watched enough of it to see relatable characters over the decades. It’s a weird stance to take that it’s an American thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You don't have to relate to characters to enjoy a show, but goddamn... it helps.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is why It's always sunny in Philadelphia is still going strong after 15 years. The hatred just grows and feed of itself.

How could Americans devise such a programme?!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
It's not as hard as you think. Turns out, historically speaking, the US isn't the bubbling cauldron of love and peace that Europe has always been.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

British sitcoms are about "horrible" people failing, while US sitcoms are about "good" people succeeding.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Taear posted:

I feel like I only ever see this sorta weird desire to "relate to" the main character from Americans, maybe because in the early 80s and 90s in British TV the main characters were all shitheads so we're used to it and it's not a new concept.

Well, my husband is not American and grew up almost exclusively on British TV shows, but yeah, the idea that every single TV show has to have relatable characters is a big one in America.

On the other hand, there are shows where it straight-up doesn't work for people. I stopped watching The Good Place because I hated the main character so much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HookShot posted:

Well, my husband is not American and grew up almost exclusively on British TV shows, but yeah, the idea that every single TV show has to have relatable characters is a big one in America.

On the other hand, there are shows where it straight-up doesn't work for people. I stopped watching The Good Place because I hated the main character so much.

I can't watch it because of Jason, the monk. He's dumb in the worst way possible and incredibly irritating. Even the way he says everything is bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw I completely understand where Kaedric is coming from. Long running sitcoms always seem to have that thing where the main characters become overly warm and familiar with each other because the audience and writers are, even when it doesn't quite make sense in-universe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean long running sitcoms they should be more familiar. They are spending sometimes years doing whatever wacky thing.

It be weirder if they weren’t friends

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't watch it because of Jason, the monk. He's dumb in the worst way possible and incredibly irritating. Even the way he says everything is bad.

Yeah, Tahani was the only character I actually liked.

Plus I think I may have mentioned it before in this thread but Kirsten Bell just makes me think of a less-funny Amy Poehler. Like, every time I would watch the show I could imagine Amy saying every single line and just being way better at it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kaedric posted:

If you say so.

I'd prefer more characters like Wuntch or the Vulture to make a return.

Outside antagonists that aren't criminals made the show better. Doug Judy episodes are always great, and until recently Wuntch episodes were amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean long running sitcoms they should be more familiar. They are spending sometimes years doing whatever wacky thing.

It be weirder if they weren’t friends

Yeah, I mean it might be more "realistic" or "relatable" to many if your average office sitcom went 7 years with everyone kind of just tolerating their coworkers as they try and escape and get to the people they actually like. But that would be a very different kind of comedy and watch and probably wouldn't last 7 years.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

VanSandman posted:

Outside antagonists that aren't criminals made the show better. Doug Judy episodes are always great, and until recently Wuntch episodes were amazing.

I mean...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

He's a criminal, but his presence in the show from a certain point on is not AS a criminal, if that makes sense?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

VanSandman posted:

Agreed, although again they're doing the same thing with Doug Judy as the rest of the cast. Now him and jake are best buddies, which is fine, but it was funnier when every single episode with Doug Judy was him tricking jake, and jake falling for it. Every time.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Kaedric posted:

Agreed, although again they're doing the same thing with Doug Judy as the rest of the cast. Now him and jake are best buddies, which is fine, but it was funnier when every single episode with Doug Judy was him tricking jake, and jake falling for it. Every time.

strong disagree, trudy judy has added spice to an already delicious dish

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lunatic Sledge posted:

strong disagree, trudy judy has added spice to an already delicious dish

:hmmyes:

Nicole Byer is a national treasure.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The latest one was still him tricking Jake though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Serperoth posted:

He's a criminal, but his presence in the show from a certain point on is not AS a criminal, if that makes sense?

Aye, yes it does.

For anyone else wanting more Doug Judy Craig Robinson action, he’s been popping up in What we do in the shadows, and is excellent as always.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

McTimmy posted:

The latest one was still him tricking Jake though.

that too, Doug Judy's still got it even if he's not using it to break Jake's heart

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Mods, rename the thread to the Doug Judy Appreciation Station

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

Aye, yes it does.

For anyone else wanting more Doug Judy Craig Robinson action, he’s been popping up in What we do in the shadows, and is excellent as always.

This is an excellent show as well. Is there a thread for it?

Also I spent forever searching but is there a letterkenny thread?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

hanales posted:

This is an excellent show as well. Is there a thread for it?

Also I spent forever searching but is there a letterkenny thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885749 for WWDITS

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

hanales posted:

Exactly.

And relate doesn’t have to mean “that’s me writ large”. It can be “oh there’s an aspect of my personality” or “I know a guy just like that” etc...

And I while I’m no expert on English television I’ve watched enough of it to see relatable characters over the decades. It’s a weird stance to take that it’s an American thing.

I've never seen anyone from anywhere else stop watching a show with the reason "They don't relate to the characters". Like you're expected to see yourself in them somehow.
But others have said that here already.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Jesus there are a lot of bad takes in this thread

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ishamael posted:

Jesus there are a lot of bad takes in this thread

Sure, but Taear is right this time.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Quick question (since I haven't found a Parks and Rec thread yet). We've binged through The Office, B99 and P&R and are wondering what to watch next. Which of these shows should we tackle next (and is vaguely appropriate for mid-teens too).

Community
Arrested Development
IASIPhilly
Curb My Enthusiasm

Those are the shows I always see talked about but I don't know anything about them really.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Community

Sunny is a judgement call on the teens.

Also The Good Place

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

Quick question (since I haven't found a Parks and Rec thread yet). We've binged through The Office, B99 and P&R and are wondering what to watch next. Which of these shows should we tackle next (and is vaguely appropriate for mid-teens too).

Community
Arrested Development
IASIPhilly
Curb My Enthusiasm

Those are the shows I always see talked about but I don't know anything about them really.

Community is very watchable for teens and up.

Always sunny has some real inappropriate stuff and stuff that hasn’t aged super well. I’d watch a season or two before deciding to watch with your kids since every family is different.

I think arrested development is fine but I haven’t watched it in a few years.

I’ve never liked curb so I can’t really comment.

E: also hell yeah the good place

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I asked a similar question after finishing The Good Place and was directed towards Superstore, and I loved it. Also The Detour, but again it's probably best to try a couple out before showing your teens.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
I'm recommending Party Down, a little bit because it fits in nicely with all those shows (and shares a few actors) but mostly because I think more people should watch it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Leocadia posted:

I'm recommending Party Down, a little bit because it fits in nicely with all those shows (and shares a few actors) but mostly because I think more people should watch it

Absolutely this. Party Down was very good and it’s a shame it got canceled as it was hitting its stride

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Psych

Second movie is coming out soon so now's the perfect time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I didn't give Psych a chance for so long, and when I did watch it for the first time, I kicked myself hard for not taking a lot of people's advice about it. Because, a lot of people told me to watch it.

One of the first episodes I saw was "Tuesday the 17th," and from the homage title card at the beginning to the best Rick roll ever at the end, it was excellent. Maybe it's not a great first episode, but it does serve as a good example for the show.