Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sou absolutely just gave Sara the sacrifice card right?

It's either him or Nao, since Gin doesn't have enough coins.

If it is Sou, I must wonder why pick that moment to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

HydroSphere posted:

“...Nothin' but paste, huh.”

Sara eats paste confirmed!

lol if the twist with Sou relies on people not remembering him, but I suppose it's established a memory erasing machine exists. Considering we had a scene with Sou essentially talking to himself, does that mean he has a split personality or a twin or something?

Also, does ASU-NARO mean anything? I'm assuming in it's some kind of portmanteau that can be extended or rearranged into something else.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 2, 2020

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

He was probably banking on the laptop to fully implicate Sara, so only part of this would be needed, but when that didn't work he got this set up. I'd bet that if she trades back, she gets the Sage card, assuming she even has the tokens to make one trade.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Tenebrais posted:

It's either him or Nao, since Gin doesn't have enough coins.

If it is Sou, I must wonder why pick that moment to do it.

Oh Nao giving Sara the sacrifice card is :discourse: just right for drama and fits into the trend of Sou taking the rap for doing anti-sara things while just playing the game as other people have.

Also uh, now it kind of makes sense why they needed to write out Keiji being able to save Sara by just swapping cards with her, with the earlier trade to gain trust, unless he's in on it with Nao.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
You have a point about Nao throwing Sou under the bus, but I'm not completely convinced.

It's already been established that all trades are made public as they happen. In other words, you can have an alibi for a particular trade if people are around you. Nao was unlikely to know whether or not Sou was alone since trades have to be done in your own room. If he hadn't left, then the group of 6 (Keiji/Sara/Alice/Sou/Kanna/Q-Taro) would conclude it was Nao since Gin has no tokens.

(Gin technically could have done it since players have not been banned from trading their tokens. Also a technicality, but Reko's body also has tokens to scavenge.)

All that said, I don't know if the game cares to think along these lines.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
So at the time of the trade three people weren't present: Sou, Gin and Nao. Unless he had a change of heart and started trading tokens with people then there's no way that Gin had the Sacrifice since you can't use your own tokens to force a trade. If Gin still hasn't made any trades then he can only be either the Sage or a Commoner since the Sacrifice was someone else and Sara was the Keymaster at the time of the trade. That leaves either Sou or Nao as the former owner of the Sacrifice.

Sou is the obvious choice because, well, it's SOU... but that seems a little too convenient. Nao however could work as the former owner of the Sacrifice, especially if this new Mishima AI isn't on the up and up. MishimaBot v2 wouldn't have too much trouble convincing Nao that the best course of action is to trade away the Sacrifice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, I still don't get why Sou is so (ba-dum-tish) afraid of Sara for.

Is he just paranoid? Is he fundamentally mentally disturbed enough that he thinks that all people are just like him and cruel and callous?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He heard the background music change the first time she had an idea and realized she’s the main character. :j:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
ASU-NARO is Galbadia Garden.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Guys, don't they need to use the phone in their bedrooms to make the trade? They pointed out Keiji had to use the phone in Sara's to make the keymaster trade.

So I don't think it's Sou who made that trade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robindaybird posted:

Guys, don't they need to use the phone in their bedrooms to make the trade? They pointed out Keiji had to use the phone in Sara's to make the keymaster trade.

So I don't think it's Sou who made that trade.

Sou ran off, and any phonebooth in anyone's bedroom will do.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Junpei posted:

You know, I still don't get why Sou is so (ba-dum-tish) afraid of Sara for.

Is he just paranoid? Is he fundamentally mentally disturbed enough that he thinks that all people are just like him and cruel and callous?

There's been a few implications that he saw (and ripped up) the cards that Gin found and Sara was given in whole later, showing her with a 15+% chance to survive and him (as Shin) with 0%. Seeing some high school girl rated higher than a boxer and ex-detective would definitely shake the hell out of someone who's naturally bad at people and normal social survival.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
To add another level of the pun, "Kai" also means shellfish in Japanese. That's why there's images of shells in his notes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Don't discount Gin because he didn't have coins. We never caught Gin, and we never got to Reko/Rio. He could have taken Reko's coins.

It also makes little sense for Sou to trade away Sacrifice after seeing the guy he replaced, and it also makes no sense to give Sacrifice to Sara after she starts looking suspicious.

Edit
Since the Sacrifice WINS if they get votes. If Sou already was one, he would want people to vote him out. He can't know that Sara was a Keymaster unless he previously already traded with Keiji, and we are not aware of any other trades, so he didn't.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 2, 2020

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Veryslightlymad posted:

Don't discount Gin because he didn't have coins. We never caught Gin, and we never got to Reko/Rio. He could have taken Reko's coins.

It also makes little sense for Sou to trade away Sacrifice after seeing the guy he replaced, and it also makes no sense to give Sacrifice to Sara after she starts looking suspicious.

Edit
Since the Sacrifice WINS if they get votes. If Sou already was one, he would want people to vote him out. He can't know that Sara was a Keymaster unless he previously already traded with Keiji, and we are not aware of any other trades, so he didn't.

Were we told the timing of the Sage knowing who the Keymaster was?

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Hazdoc posted:

Were we told the timing of the Sage knowing who the Keymaster was?

I thought the Sage was made aware of the possessor of the Keymaster card the moment the cards came into play.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering that it's all on tablets, the Sage card could just say "The current keymaster is:"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
But only one trade was made, so whoever traded with Sara was the Sacrifice. SO the only way they could know this is if:
1)The Sage is someone else (Kanna?) and told them
or
2)Keiji told them

And then they trusted that person and wanted the keymaster card from Sara.

No one made the trade to become the Keymaster, whoever made the trade did it to ditch the sacrifice. Ditching the sacrifice to someone who is now likely to accumulate a lot of votes seems dumb. Sou acted really suspicious here, but him making the trade only makes sense if 1)he somehow has knowledge about the keymaster---a stretch or 2)he figured people wouldn't vote for Sara despite all the incriminating poo poo and this way he can get rid of her anyhow. I see this as somewhat more likely, but still a little... strange way of doing it.

I still think it's much more likely Gin or Nao made the trade. Nao is more likely because Gin would have had to rob a corpse to do it, but... there's nothing saying he couldn't. These two also didn't see the infodump about Sara, so might see her as a reasonable person to stick in this role.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Even with all this evidence people are clearly willing to listen to Sara, even those nominally on Sou’s team are hearing her out instead of accusing her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord_Magmar posted:

Even with all this evidence people are clearly willing to listen to Sara, even those nominally on Sou’s team are hearing her out instead of accusing her.

That's why Sou stuck her with the Sacrifice Card. She's an active threat, and he has an opportunity to remove that.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Goon Boots posted:

Also, does ASU-NARO mean anything? I'm assuming in it's some kind of portmanteau that can be extended or rearranged into something else.

From VGPerson's translation notes:

"ASU-NARO comes from Asunaro, the Japanese name for Thujopsis, a type of Japanese cypress. This is mostly just a theory given there's not a lot revealed yet, but the significance of the name could be related to the associated phrase "asu wa hinoki ni narou" ("tomorrow, it will become a hinoki cypress"), i.e. the idea of something growing to become something greater."

(The translation notes contain spoilers; if anyone's interested, I'll post the link to them later.)

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

(Sacrifice...?)

There's no mistaking it. Someone traded cards with me. And of all things, they pushed on me the Sacrifice.

(Inconceivable...I mean... I... I'm fighting for everyone's...)

(I'm suffocating... Huh...? I can't... breathe right...)

(Calm down... Right now... the laptop...)

(...The laptop...)

(...)

(...Ah...)

I feel a touch on my shoulder... It's warm... But.

(I need... I need to trade cards!)

(And I have 50 tokens! Right, I left the wallet in my bedroom!! I need to go get it...!!)

My body moves on its own. Not caring about anyone watching, I start running.

“Where's... the wallet...?!”

Investigate the bed

The wallet isn't under the bed.

Investigate the chair on the left.

The wallet isn't near the chair on the left.

Investigate the right chair.

The wallet isn't near the chair in the middle.

Investigate bedside table.

The wallet isn't on the bed or next to it.

Music stops.

(Why...?! I know I couldn't have lost it!!)

“Sniff... Urgh... ahhh...”

(Is there... any other way...?)

(The Room of Lies...)

(If I take Reko's tokens...)

I start running again. Before they collect the body. For the sake of my future.

• If you have less than 50 tokens at the end of 2-1, Sara just goes straight to the Room of Lies from the Lobby.

“No...”

Reko's body has been completely cleaned up.

“You're kidding...!! Why...?! No...!! Now I'm going to...”

“What... do I do...”

Music stops.

“...Safalin...”

“I just finished cleaning...”

“Are my tokens around here somewhere...?”

“Huh...?”

“Did you lose your wallet? I haven't seen it anywhere...”

“Oh, I don't mean that. I entrusted my tokens to Reko. All of them, temporarily, for a certain plan...”

“............”

“I planned to take them back, assuming survival...”

“So... could you give them back?”

“Reko didn't have any tokens.”

“Huh...?”

“Sorry... I'm busy, so if you'll excuse me...”

(What's going on...? Reko didn't have any tokens? That's impossible...! Reko should have had her own tokens, right?!)

“Ahaha...”

(Huh? Why am I laughing?)

“Hahahahaha...!!”

“Yeah... I can't muster the energy to think about anything anymore...”

”In the end, I guess you weren't seriously thinking you could escape either, huh?”

“Is... that so...?”

“That's wrong, Joe... I was the one who needed hope.”

“But the future waiting once I return... I can only imagine it as pitch black.”

“Hahaha...”

“Gin...?”

“Big bro Joe isn't here, meow! Don't give any attention to anything weird, woof!!”

“Why are you here, Gin...?”

“Why am I here...? So I can cheer big sis Sara up, obviously!!!”

Music stops.

(You aren't Joe...!! I need to push aside the evil clutches reaching for me!!)

• It's another bad end if you don't push the hands away quickly enough.

Music stops.

“Gin... Thank you...”

“I... had forgotten something important.”

“You're... back to normal, woof?”

“Yeah. Let's all return alive... together. I won't let anyone else's lives be lost.”

“Yeah!”

(I'm brimming with energy... It's more than just my life...!)

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 3, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Aww. That was sweet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You’re a good kid, Gin. :shobon:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Aww. I like that Sara's face went back to how it was originally too.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gin is such a good kid. :unsmith:

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

What a heartwarming update. Gin :unsmith:

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Oh dear, so Trade 3 is the one that gave Sara the Sacrifice and Reko's tokens are coming into play. Yay!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay so Sara's tokens got stolen right after someone pushed the Sacrifice on her. ...This is either Sou or Nao's doing and I don't really know which possibility is worse. At least we have Gin, who is a really good kid.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay so Sara's tokens got stolen right after someone pushed the Sacrifice on her. ...This is either Sou or Nao's doing and I don't really know which possibility is worse. At least we have Gin, who is a really good kid.

Yeah, Nao has been a little off ever since Reko's death and I suspect the new Mishima AI has something to do with it. It seems like Nao's been performing tasks (assignments?) that MishimaBot v2 has given her. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tasks was taking Reko's tokens. It would take some convincing but I could see MishimaBot v2 finding a way to convince Nao to force the Sacrifice onto Sara as well. As for Sou, I still don't think he's the one who made the third trade but I do think he found a way into Sara's room in order to swipe her tokens. Sara would then be unable to make any more trades unless she can convince someone to either give her tokens (possible) or to make a trade with her (unlikely, at this point I don't think Sara would voluntarily stick someone with the Sacrifice, not even Sou).

If someone in Sou's group has the Sage card though then he would know that Sara had the Keymaster after the first and second trades then lost it after the third trade. Even if more trades are made Sou's group has more than enough tokens between them for additional trades thanks mostly to Q-Taro. In short, Sou can guard against the Sacrifice being traded into the group and also be able to trade away the Sage before the Main Game starts. About the only way it could backfire (that I can think of off the top of my head) is if more trades are made, Sou waits until the last moment to force the Sage onto Sara, and none of the trades between now and then involved Sara meaning that Sou just traded the Sacrifice into his group.

I don't see Sou being the one stuck with the Sacrifice in such a case since he has to survive in order to keep antagonizing Sara but that still leaves Q-Taro, Alice or maybe Kanna as someone Sou throws under the bus in order to survive.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

What does Scary Joe mean when he says we can't get rid of him "again"?

HydroSphere posted:

(The translation notes contain spoilers; if anyone's interested, I'll post the link to them later.)

The translation notes would be interesting to see at the end! I always like reading all of the clever tricks translators have to pull when translating puns and the like.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Goon Boots posted:

What does Scary Joe mean when he says we can't get rid of him "again"?

I'm guessing referring to Sara using the machine? Though iirc that's completely optional.

Or more likely, the "first time" is when Joe was executed.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Or more likely, the "first time" is when Joe was executed.

Yeah, I think that's almost certainly it, since hammering on "it's entirely your fault I died, Sara" is like 99% of what Hallucination Joe does.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

“Let's see...”

“Ah! How about we question melon soda lady about an exit, meow?!”

(Come to think of it... Didn't Safalin retrieve Rio Ranger's body? If she found the chip, we should probably hurry.)

“Huh...? Are we really off to make her cry, meow?”

Investigate red item on stairs.

There's something on the ground.

“What's this, meow? A video...?”

(This seems familiar...)

(Ah...!)

(As I recall...)

(From behind, the man looked just like Keiji, but...)

“Did big sis Nao drop this, woof?”

(Why here...?)

Talk to Alice.

Alice is quietly listening to Kanna.

“.............”

“Alice...”

“Sara Chidouin...”

“Hmph... For how blue in the face you were when you ran off, you're looking better now.”

“So you were worried for me...”

“Me, worried...? That's for someone far more gullible... Fool...”

“.............”

“Sara Chidouin, after you left, we did continue to investigate the laptop...”

“Thank you very much.”

“More importantly, would you take my place as Kanna Kizuchi's conversation partner?”

“She's treating me just like a friend. Has she not forgotten I'm a murderer...?”

“I'm in a hurry, so...”

“...Mgh...”

Talk to Kanna.

Kanna is conversing quietly.

“Yes... Sou really has done a lot to help us escape...”

“Kanna...”

“Sara!! Are you okay now?”

“Yeah... I just wasn't feeling well earlier.”

“Please, sit down! By all means!”

“Nah, I'm fine... You were sitting here first.”

“No thanks... Anyway, what's this about Sou?”

“Earlier... I went to return the laptop to Sou...”

Music stops.

“I... Is that right?!”

(Was what he said before really true...?)

“I'm sure Sou can come up with a way for all of us to leave...!”

“So...”

“Eh...?”

(Kanna...?)

Sniff at Kanna.

*Sniff sniff *...

“Huh...?! I-I'm sorry...”

Sniff at Alice.

*Sniff sniff *...

Talk to Nao.

“Ah... Sara and Gin.”

“Big sis Nao? What're you doing, meow?”

“I was just looking for Safalin...”

“Why Safalin...?”

“Ah... um... No particular reason...”

“She wasn't here, meow?”

Sniff at Nao.

“Meow... She has sort of a pleasant scent mixed with the smell of an art room, woof.”

“Definitely a scene that screams “big sis Nao,” meow!”

“Sniff... You're embarrassing me...”

Sniff at door.

“Myah! I smell a weird smell, woof!”

“What sort of smell?”

“Hmmeowww...”

“Ah...”

Music stops.

“Wh... What?!”

“A-Are you two okay...?”

“I think it's coming from that glass door...”

(Behind this door...?)

“I'll open it up, woof!”

“Ah... Gin...!”

(...Hey, hold on. Then where did that doll disappear to?)

“Ah...!”

“Big sis Sara! There's a path in the back, woof!”

“Say what...?!”

“M-Maybe Safalin is through here...”

“Should we go in, meow?”

“If you're going, I'll come too...!”

Investigate the door.

There's a pitch black path further in.

Music stops.

“Myaooowww?! Creepy, woof!!”

“Oogh...”

“Dolls...?”

“There's even one that looks just like me, woof!”

Investigate dolls on the right.

On the right stand numerous dolls, including ones of Gin and Alice.

“Like looking in a mirror, woof...”

“Talk about cute.”

“Mroow... You can't say that to a boy, big sis Sara!”

“Sorry. I meant to say “cool”.”

“Yeah! No prob, woof!”

(Haha...)

Investigate dolls in the centre.

In the middle stand numerous dolls, including ones of myself, Keiji and Kanna.

“Oof... Feels like they'll start talking to me any second, meow...”

(Hmm... I don't think they're going to start moving.)

“There are even dolls of people we never met...”

Investigate dolls on the left.

On the left stand numerous dolls, including ones of Sou, Q-taro and Professor Mishima.

“Even the loner gets a doll, meow. Peeves me, woof.”

“Sou, huh...”

(The person in the photo on the laptop... Alice called him Sou Hiyori. Just what relation do the two Sous have...?)

“Big sis Sara, what do you think of the loner, woof?”

“...I don't know. What Sou wants, what he's thinking... I feel there's something deep within him that I still don't know.”

“Meow...”

Investigate dolls on the left again.

“Let's scribble on the loner's doll, meow!”

“Safalin will find out. Don't touch them.”

“Meow! You'll live to see another day, loner!”

Investigate dolls on the right again.

“Making a doll of me without permission is infringing on my likeness, meow!”

“Not like our rights are being respected anyway, woof.”

Sniff at back of room.

“I smell something further back too, meow!”

(It keeps going...?! Once we've searched here, I guess we'll go there...)

Investigate Ranger's head.

Ranger's head is sitting on a table.

(It was here...!)

“Let's look for the chip while we can.”

“Y-Yes...”

(Wait... What's this chip like, even? Not good...! I don't know anything about complex machinery like this...)

“Wha...”

“He talked, meow!!”

“Gin! Don't shout...”

Sound of a card trade.

(Why now...?!)

“Safalin...!”

“Miss Sara...”

“Melon soda with the lousy tastes! What's up with this, woof?!”

“Ah...”

“Yeah, woof! You should leave a bad guy like this alone, woof! And yet... Don't tell me you wanna fix him, woof?!”

“..............”

Music stops.

“There's no fixing you.”

“In order to complete you.”

“How much do you know about yourself, Ranger...?”

“...That is not your real name.”

“You are an incomplete creation...”

“Gashu strongly imbued you with a certain emotion.”

“Inferiority...?”

“Yes... which gave birth to jealousy and hatred. It could be said that it made you more human...”

“...And he discarded what you originally possessed.”

“Kindness... compassion... happiness...”

“Nearly all of your positive emotions.”

“Even with the mechanisms to create expressions, you can't create a heartfelt smile.”

“...It was originally my job to insert it.”

“Gashu handled the negative emotions, and myself the positive emotions.”

“Claiming that imperfection was more human... he rearranged you into a warped doll.”

Music stops.

“I will perfect you to your true form.”

Safalin began working at a machine.

“Stop...!! STOOOOOP...!!”

“They're flowing in... all these unwanted emotions...”

“No...!! This isn't...!! Forgive me... just....!!”

“I don't want to know that...!!”

“Now, you will be perfected.”

“...Hu... man...?”

Music stops.

“Waaaaaahhhhhh...!!”

“....It's ended.”

“I feel... a little bad, meow.”

“This is just my obligation...”

Safalin began rustling around in Laizer's head.

“...This is the chip.”

“Huh...?”

“You came looking for it, didn't you...?”

“But to do that, you must find a secret room only Gashu knows about.”

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo, Salafin. That was brutal. "No, you can't die, you need to feel guilt first."

Rio Laizer is the worst pun yet and I love it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone explain the pun to me because I'm not seeing it.

Also holy poo poo that's a way to make someone really suffer in their last moments. Deserved, but we could've avoided all of this had Gashu not been a monster to Ranger/Laizer in the first place.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Someone explain the pun to me because I'm not seeing it.

Also holy poo poo that's a way to make someone really suffer in their last moments. Deserved, but we could've avoided all of this had Gashu not been a monster to Ranger/Laizer in the first place.
Realizer.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
"We built him wrong. As a joke."

Also Gin is a really excellent partner button. Every time you go into beast senses mode there's a little gruff bark sound effect.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Card trades are suddenly happening in rapid succession. I wonder what got traded this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay that "it doesn't matter what your role card is" from Kanna was way too on the nose, and it seems to confirm that it was Sou who did the trade at least, and he's still playing Kanna like a fiddle. I think Sou did the trade while Nao stole her tokens and cleaned up Reko's at the order of Mishima AI v2.