Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

One Winged Angel84 posted:

A 1.6 million dollar house.

post the transaction id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
please under no circumstances attempt to use the transaction id to identify transactions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
oh I thought they fixed that with the segway thing

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

oh I thought they fixed that with the segway thing
it looks like this is correct, in 2017.

but that will never not make this funny:

Boxturret posted:

please under no circumstances attempt to use the transaction id to identify transactions
iirc was a big problem for mt gox i think but i cant remember specifically how.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

iirc was a big problem for mt gox i think but i cant remember specifically how.

yeah from what i recall there was some dumb thing where you could change what a transaction was doing but keep the same id so you could pretend to send them money and they would act like you did because the transaction id went through the blockchain or something like that. then things started falling apart as they had less money than they thought

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Boxturret posted:

yeah from what i recall there was some dumb thing where you could change what a transaction was doing but keep the same id so you could pretend to send them money and they would act like you did because the transaction id went through the blockchain or something like that. then things started falling apart as they had less money than they thought

nah, it was the other way around, you could create two transactions that did the exact same thing, but with different transaction IDs

so someone would initiate a withdrawal from mtgox, it would create transaction A, and then once you see it you create transaction B and blast it everywhere, eventually hoping your B would be accepted

then you go to mtgox and compain that transaction A never went through and customer support re-credited your mtgox account

as far as I know this didn't really happen at scale since it would be detectable (transaction B would have a signature that was clearly nonstandard but still valid) and was just a theory/excuse for why mtgox lost all their money

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

my favourite thing about the mt gox thefts is that some of the transactions done by the thief to take bitcoins out were interpreted by mtgox systems as putting bitcoins into random people's accounts, and then of course these people see that they have mystery bitcoins in their accounts and withdraw them. it takes special skill to write code so bad you can have the same bitcoins stolen twice

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ymgve posted:

nah, it was the other way around, you could create two transactions that did the exact same thing, but with different transaction IDs

so someone would initiate a withdrawal from mtgox, it would create transaction A, and then once you see it you create transaction B and blast it everywhere, eventually hoping your B would be accepted

then you go to mtgox and compain that transaction A never went through and customer support re-credited your mtgox account

as far as I know this didn't really happen at scale since it would be detectable (transaction B would have a signature that was clearly nonstandard but still valid) and was just a theory/excuse for why mtgox lost all their money

in a way im happy that i don't remember this stuff

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

rip serry

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lmao:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

approved by no less than lowtax himself

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Serry for you loss.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
<SHODAN-ized Iliza voice> Ok YOSPOS, are you ready to hear the pitch for my new app that will revolutionize registration and posting?

jon pop

ON THE BLOCKCHAIN

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lomarf

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

<SHODAN-ized Iliza voice> Ok YOSPOS, are you ready to hear the pitch for my new app that will revolutionize registration and posting?

jon pop

ON THE BLOCKCHAIN

powerful tech

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Shumagorath posted:

jon pop

ON THE BLOCKCHAIN

what

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i looked up jon pop and the first result was someone on a dead comedy forum asking who jon pop was

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

i looked up jon pop and the first result was someone on a dead comedy forum asking who jon pop was

for twelve years you've been asking, who is jon pop

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

yes they did that bit too

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

stop it the dragons don't know this is vaporware

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Shame Boy posted:

:nsavince:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2572

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

if only the saclopedia were a blockchain based wiki then we could be sure

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
if the saclopedia were a blockchain it'd be pretty majorly difficult to get the slurs out of it

it's already difficult enough to get the slurs out of it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

also :wrong: :shuckyes:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ad by Khad posted:

if the saclopedia were a blockchain it'd be pretty majorly difficult to get the slurs out of it

it's already difficult enough to get the slurs out of it

The hardest part is getting slurs out of SA's codebase.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:wrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh so this is who that kylo ren guy was that everyone was getting so emotional over a few months ago

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
jon pop made one of my all-time favorite sa posts

Single By Choice posted:

The humiliation, isolation, and beatings I endured for five years would have broken a navy seal. Every therapist I have told about my past has said they were surprised I didn't kill anyone or myself. Now I face a new bully. Feminism.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS SLANDEROUS THREAD TITLE

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

he touched a bitcoin once. while he had the best of intentions it can't be ignored

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
i want to press my keys against your bitcoins like a docking maneuver in space...i feel the vibrations of your lower fans going hurgl gurgl as your CPU winks inwards slightly before erupting a train of crypto heaven straight into my wallet

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

mark has committed a few sins: watching anime, exercise ball chairs, owning a katana, developing in PHP, the list goes on.

however in regards to comedy gold mark did nothing wrong.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Oh ok. In the interest of objective truth that makes sense

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

Oh ok. In the interest of objective truth that makes sense

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

CampingCarl posted:

mark has committed a few sins: watching anime, exercise ball chairs, owning a katana, developing in PHP, the list goes on.

however in regards to comedy gold mark did nothing wrong.

oh is gold mark his new handle

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the actual thing he did wrong was tamper with mt. gox's records to hide the extent of theft by hackers and buy more time for the exchange. he was sentenced to two and a half years of probation. he was acquitted of embezzlement, which was the main case against him.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the actual thing he did wrong was tamper with mt. gox's records to hide the extent of theft by hackers and buy more time for the exchange. he was sentenced to two and a half years of probation. he was acquitted of embezzlement, which was the main case against him.

golden mark karpelès

DOER OF
NOTHING
WRONG

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

so the problem was attempting to repay people who lost funds when he should have given users a haircut and issued imaginary IOUs. the thing he did wrong was not creating Tibanne coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
WRONG
LESS
FRENCH