Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shrecknet posted:

I was going to watch Sucker-Punch but instead I masturbated to Sailor Moon while reading Mein Kampf and the effect was identical

Horror Thread: I was going to watch Sucker-Punch but instead I masturbated to Sailor Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just watched The Stranger sequel Strangers: Prey At Night. I had 0 expectations going in. I have to say I kind of loved it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I hear Stranger: By The Lake is the even better prequel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's amazing how bad/wild the Mark IV movies are and yet how they manage to be watchable they are for the batshit, unchanging viewpoint of evangelical Christianity. All four of them are up on Amazon now. They've had some alternate titles over time but the original ones are used here:

A Thief in the Night
A Distant Thunder
Image of the Beast
Prodigal Planet

The first one is only 69 (nice :D ) minutes long so give'em a shot.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

married but discreet posted:

I actually looked this up thinking it was a real sequal to see if I could stream it. Nice.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

married but discreet posted:

goddamn this one had me cackling

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thing 2011 talk back- A perfectly fine B movie. As a fan of B monster movies, it works well enough. The CGI is unfortunate but the few, very few, practical effects are great and there are some fun characters hidden amongst the chaff. It's never very scary and never quite achieves an air of paranoia, and has an incredibly stupid moment where three named characters get dropped in an instant, but for what it is, it works.

The most awkward moments were taking the time to specifically show why certain things were what they were in the next film, that is the prior film, and the worst thing about the movie over all is that it is not Thing 82, but on its own terms it's fine. I don't think the leading lady has been bad in any role I've seen her in and the rest of the cast do their jobs competently.

There's a couple of MISSING SCENEs here and there for how it ties into the original but considering how forced a lot of the connective tissue even was, that's maybe for the best.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just watched The Stranger sequel Strangers: Prey At Night. I had 0 expectations going in. I have to say I kind of loved it.

The first time I saw it, I really didn’t care for it. But i recently rewatched it on Prime and dig it more. I just wish the whole movie was as awesome as the last stretch (from the pool scene on is just amazing)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Burkion posted:

Thing 2011 talk back- A perfectly fine B movie. As a fan of B monster movies, it works well enough. The CGI is unfortunate but the few, very few, practical effects are great

From what I understand, there were going to be many more practical effects, but the studio got cold feet and demanded more ‘safe’ CGI.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Guys I'm not really sure this Stranger By the Lake movie is really a sequel to When a Stranger Calls, but I'm going to watch it a few more times to see if I can find the connection.

Anyway, Blood Quantum. I thought the first half was good, but maybe I looked away for ten seconds and missed something because I don't get why Lysol just suddenly breaks bad and starts killing people and sicks the zombie of that girl he picked up on the camp. I mean they establish that Lysol is an rear end in a top hat but I feel like there's a whole missing reel of character motivation there that they forgot to explain. It felt like they were setting up Lysol having a redemption arc at some point but then that just doesn't happen.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Guys I'm not really sure this Stranger By the Lake movie is really a sequel to When a Stranger Calls, but I'm going to watch it a few more times to see if I can find the connection.

Anyway, Blood Quantum. I thought the first half was good, but maybe I looked away for ten seconds and missed something because I don't get why Lysol just suddenly breaks bad and starts killing people and sicks the zombie of that girl he picked up on the camp. I mean they establish that Lysol is an rear end in a top hat but I feel like there's a whole missing reel of character motivation there that they forgot to explain. It felt like they were setting up Lysol having a redemption arc at some point but then that just doesn't happen.

I think his sole motivation was that he had his dick bitten off, and decided it was the camp's fault for not listening to him earlier. Yeah, it didn't really work for me either.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

From what I understand, there were going to be many more practical effects, but the studio got cold feet and demanded more ‘safe’ CGI.

It's worse than that; the practical effects were done and the studio literally had them CGI over the existing puppets and whatnot

:suicide:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Then they crowdfunded Harbinger Down and it sucked :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think his sole motivation was that he had his dick bitten off, and decided it was the camp's fault for not listening to him earlier. Yeah, it didn't really work for me either.

Wow I must've completely spaced, but I swear that he still goes from zero to murder in the span of like ten minutes of movie time. Something like that, you set it up way earlier in the movie and leave it at a low simmering resentment and foreshadow it instead of just... a thing happens and a character turns heel. Or you have a character start off as a liability or capital B Bad Guy and then just get worse, like Cooper in Night of the Living Dead or Rhodes in Day of the Dead.

It still wasn't a bad movie, but it had some issues. Namely that it felt like a just-barely-above-average episode of The Walking Dead.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I read In The Tall Grass while camping yesterday and just now started the movie. I've only heard bad things and the short story was awful. How are they gonna stretch such a short, stupid story into almost 2 hours?

If you were gonna film a story from Full Throttle, Late Returns was loving awesome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And now Thing '82 is watched.

Having watched them back to back- I stand by what I said earlier. Thing 2011 isn't That Bad. It's a fine B movie.

It just does not connect to Thing '82 at all, from quality to style to tone to character to effects to effectiveness. It doesn't even read as a true prequel- there are things that are crowbarred into shape for it to be a prequel, but almost every single one of those is flawed or imperfect. The style of the movie is completely different, the way the Thing acts, the circumstances of how it came to be, none of it lines up.

And part of that is also tied to the biggest MISSING SCENE from Thing '11 that would have tied it into Thing '82. The discovery of the space ship and the imagery associated with it. For those who don't know, in Thing '82, Mac and the Doc discover video recordings of the Norwegian's discoveries. None of this is in Thing '11, but that's not really the issue.

With Thing '11, you could go into the whole host of cinematic blunders and mistakes it makes as far as continuity goes. The axe is in a wall, not a door and on the wrong side to boot, the two faced thing looked wrong, Lars has the wrong hair color and his beard is too short, blah blah blah blah

None of those things make Thing '11 bad. None of them. Sure it's silly but that's not a crime. That's not an issue with the film.

What the Thing 2011 is missing- and this, I must stress, is also not a negative quality just A Quality, neutral at most- is The Thing From Another World. There is no The Thing From Another World 1951 in its blood. No imagery, no take aways, no ideas, nothing from The Thing From Another World. And that ties back into the biggest MISSING SCENE- the recorded footage from The Thing '82, of the scientists discovering the space ship, is effectively lifted straight from The Thing From Another World 1951. That iconic, everlasting image of the people joining hands in a circle around the shape of the ship, realizing that it is in fact a flying saucer they've found.

That, like all elements of The Thing From ANother World, is absent from The Thing 2011. Completely, without comment or acknowledgement.

And that's fine.

The movie stands on its own terms and is not trying to be anything but what it is. Well it's trying to be a prequel but barely succeeds but that's neither here nor there. The Thing 1982's true prequel is something that doesn't exist- a fusion of The Thing From Another World 1951 and Who Goes There, a hypothetical film that doesn't and probably won't ever exist. Getting mad at 2011 for not being something that doesn't exist is very stupid, so I won't bother.

The Thing 1982 is an untouchable classic, greater than what has come before (I'm including Horror Express, though the Cossack is amazing) and greater than what has and probably will come after. The music, the atmosphere, the tension- even going into it knowing exactly what was going to happen and who the Thing was at any given time, it stands as a monument to itself, the actors, the director, the SFX team and all others who played a hand in its creation. Even on bluray at 1080p the effects hold up, and the Thing is a chillingly effective and immortal threat.

It is a movie that plays with ambiguity and paranoia like few else ever will. Also so many dogs die. Just, so loving many.

Thing 2011 is dumb, but it's fun and harmless. I had a blast watching it tonight even if the CGI is awful and they wasted the kind of body horror you could have gotten from finally having a woman infected. It's not what it could have been, but what it is is a solid B movie that's more entertaining than Harbinger Down because it at least decided to show you the loving movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does Thing '11 even imply an extraterrestrial origin? Are the stakes literally just the people worried about themselves against an unknown monster?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

feedmyleg posted:

Does Thing '11 even imply an extraterrestrial origin? Are the stakes literally just the people worried about themselves against an unknown monster?

They go inside the alien ship, so yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ooh, I misread. I thought that Burkion was saying that the ship wasn't seen at all, not just the discovery of it wasn't seen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Ooh, I misread. I thought that Burkion was saying that the ship wasn't seen at all, not just the discovery of it wasn't seen.

Oh no, the ship is absolutely seen. It's one of the biggest problems with actually connecting The Thing '11 and The Thing '82- the designs are different, I think the size is different, how they uncover the ship is different, so on so forth. If you told me that the movie started its life not as a true prequel but just A Thing Remake and they added in the minor connections that they do have during production, I'd believe you. It'd make the Norwegian base setting suspect but there's very little connective tissue between the two films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC the filmmakers talked it up as a remake-slash-sequel when they were hired on. They talked about it as a "best of both worlds" scenario where new viewers get a remake and return viewers get a prequel, and about their slavish devotion to the '82 film where everything was going to line up perfectly. So it kinda did start its life as a remake, in a sense. Just a particularly wrongheaded one.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

In the Tall Grass is just Cube 2 set in some tall grass.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Z but it feels like they just kinda filed the numbers off of Lights Out. It's definitely creepier and better acted than Lights Out though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thing 11 is a movie I find hard to recommend for anything other than a sleepy stoned sunday afternoon. that said there's loads of great character actors from television in the carnage and that's very fun. it's definitely got charms and the amount of norweigan casting in it was pretty nice for a mainline american film.

I dunno though. it's like Doctor Sleep. eventually I just think "why?"

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Thing talk. It's been a while since I watched them, but a few Halloweens back we watched TTFAW, Thing 2011 and 1982 back to back.

My biggest problem with the 2011 film is that I just don't remember any of it. When I rewatch it I think "actually, this isn't too bad" but then my brain just glazes over and nothing sticks. Even now the only things sticking in my head are the pretty nasty death of the guy being absorbed into the crawler (ruined by plastic CGI superimposed on top) and the human bad guy face awkwardly CGI'd onto the monster at the end.

Burkion posted:

It just does not connect to Thing '82 at all, from quality to style to tone to character to effects to effectiveness. It doesn't even read as a true prequel- there are things that are crowbarred into shape for it to be a prequel, but almost every single one of those is flawed or imperfect. The style of the movie is completely different, the way the Thing acts, the circumstances of how it came to be, none of it lines up.

The 2011 Thing acting differently to the 1982 Thing is kind of consistant (but only going by reading extended stuff). The more the creature absorbs, the more intelligence it gains. There was a short story written from the thing's perspective and it knew it was acting more on instinct as it tried to get back to having the intelligence and awareness it had before. Going on my hazy memory, it's been pretty messed up by the time the 82 guys get involved and it's a more instinctive creature.

I agree on the overall tone and feel though. It still felt like a modern film and didn't capture the bleak tone of the original. They could have gone for an older stock look and embraced the period. Instead it felt like a modern film but without cell phones.

Shrecknet posted:

It's worse than that; the practical effects were done and the studio literally had them CGI over the existing puppets and whatnot

:suicide:

This though... this was loving unforgivable. I think one of the reasons the film is just so forgettable is because of the cheap, rushed CGI literally slapped on top. Everything feels like generic CGI computer game garbage. And yet if you find the test footage of the practical effects on Youtube they would have been incredible. They really went all out with the puppet work and stood on the shoulders of the 82 work. Then some studio suit took a steaming turd on it.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 4, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

I liked Z but it feels like they just kinda filed the numbers off of Lights Out. It's definitely creepier and better acted than Lights Out though.

I just looked that up out of curiosity and it has Lance Preston from Grave Encounters in it? Shudder got the streaming rights, any idea when it will hit?

Edit: It could already be on Shudder. The Prime Channels layout fuckin sucks.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I was really surprised that it was way more fun than a sequel to The Strangers had any right to be.

The pool sequence is one of my favorite things in recent horror movies, plus the joyful absurdity of the killer chasing down the final girl while burning to death in a flaming car

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking about Linnea Quigley's incredible performance in Return of the Living Dead rn

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pomp posted:

Thinking about Linnea Quigley rn

:same:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Trash is taking off her clothes again!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well poo poo; if you're talking about the VS Blu-Ray, that means that this McPherson Tape is actually a new third cut of the film.

Finally watched this and it owns.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gillis & Woodruff’s VFX tests for Thing 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8ASn25GLg

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What's weird about this is I'm pretty sure he's one of the Two Faced victims.

But that was The Bad Man Whom We Were Not Meant To Like For He Was Sexist so I guess they had to slap his face onto the monster at the end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s the main bad human in the movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

He’s the main bad human in the movie

This being a Thing movie, I hope you can see why I find that prospect laughable at best

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just noticed the Phantasm remaster is on Prime now. Definitely check that out if you haven't seen the movie in a while, it looks fantastic.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/xpdDf8_0g34

Has this been discussed yet? Jordan Peele & JJ Abrams have a new horror HBO series called Lovecraft Country coming out

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I got the book a few days ago, and I’m very much looking forward to reading it in prep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

https://youtu.be/xpdDf8_0g34

Has this been discussed yet? Jordan Peele & JJ Abrams have a new horror HBO series called Lovecraft Country coming out

Based on the trailer and the new Twilight Zone, I'm not holding my breath.

Separate the content from that "talent" and we'll see.