Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I just dropped a hundred bones on 3 Tamiya car kits (Calsonic GT-R, first-gen GT-R, and Honda S600) and another $150 on an RC Subaru. Quarantine is hard on my wallet.

Crummy snipe. Here's the kits:
Calsonic R33 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24184-nissan-skyline-gt-r--129382
GT-R https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24194-nissan-skyline-2000-gt-r-hard-top--129389
Honda https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24340-honda-s600--943603

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Molentik posted:

I'd love to build that! Are you going for an aftermarket deck?

Yeah! RCSubs has several PE sets to enhance the kit, and I'm definitely going for their main "Decks and Details" set.

I was initially looking at the Eduard sets, since they're the king of PE these days, but they oddly dont have any options for replacing the main deck. Their addons are just for detailing, and small sections of the deck at the fore and aft sections of the boat.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 27, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fearless posted:

Yeah. I just dropped $150 CAD on string so I am not about to criticize someone else's hobby purchase. Best of luck on that build, and post pics!
Holy poo poo! Not a judgement, because hey, spend it if you've got it, but for those of us who don't do wooden boats, could you elaborate on this? Is it literally just string, or does it come with, say, rigging type accessories, little brass fiddly bits, etc?

Additionally, wooden boat folks should post more WIP stuff in here. Locator's posts used to be some of my favorites.

Anyone have thoughts on how to scratch build this little headlight cage? I'm thinking brass rod might be easiest to shape, and give the best finish, but I feel like I'd have to solder it, which would be a whole thing. Stretch some sprue?

Or, you know, if someone is aware of someone selling this part already made, that'd be super. I failed to find it anywhere (It's the Czech version of a T-34-85).

Edit: if this is breaking tables, let me know. First time using the app's image attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I think thin rods of evergreen styrene can be bend enough if you take it easy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I would personally use wire and solder. If you can get your hands on some cheap solder, you can solder with a micro torch lighter. You don't need to splash out out on a full soldering kit or anything.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Molentik posted:

I think thin rods of evergreen styrene can be bend enough if you take it easy.

Definitely. Use some heat and you can get some serious curves out of Evergreen. If I'm gonna be bending up a bunch (roll cage, etc.), I'll just light a candle and have a heat source ready to party.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Train update

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Slugworth posted:

Holy poo poo! Not a judgement, because hey, spend it if you've got it, but for those of us who don't do wooden boats, could you elaborate on this? Is it literally just string, or does it come with, say, rigging type accessories, little brass fiddly bits, etc?

Anyone have thoughts on how to scratch build this little headlight cage? I'm thinking brass rod might be easiest to shape, and give the best finish, but I feel like I'd have to solder it, which would be a whole thing. Stretch some sprue?

It was a pile of cordage for the Bluenose to replace the mostly crap that came with the kit. If I had immediate plans to build another large wooden model after this one I would probably look at picking up a ropewalk to make my own lines, but I have something very different in mind once this is done. I also got a bunch of beautifully done replacement blocks (pulleys) for the rigging as well-- that ate up quite a bit of the total.

As for making the cage: brass or steel wire can be bent and soldered (or even epoxied) to make that shape. If you go down that rabbit hole, I strongly recommend picking up a set of wire looping pliers. They make that kind of task so much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_V2Fy1Yjm0

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slugworth posted:

Additionally, wooden boat folks should post more WIP stuff in here. Locator's posts used to be some of my favorites.

Or, you know, if someone is aware of someone selling this part already made, that'd be super. I failed to find it anywhere (It's the Czech version of a T-34-85).

Edit: if this is breaking tables, let me know. First time using the app's image attachment

24 or 28 gauge wire should work

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And if you solder, use flux! Makes the solder stick like a dream. I used to try soldering without it and that sucked.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The roni has my brain, and is making me purchase huge silly expensive things.

Although, it's actually kind of a deal. Got it for $500. I was thinking of getting the Revell 1/72 Type VII/C U-Boat, as well as a poo poo-ton of aftermarket CMK kits, to do a cutaway view model. Except the Revell kit is already approaching $200, and the CMK kits are about $70 per compartment, plus the extra figs and addons, etc etc.

Then I see the Trumpter 1/48 kit. A little research shows that it's basically the Revell kit and all the CMK kits, plus 40+figs, all sized up to 1/48 scale and packaged together. Right there I'm getting a bigger kit with all the addons, for less money.

In truth, I'm actually going to buy a few addons PE kits from RCSubz, so that'll make this more expensive overall, but not by much.

Thats a big boat.

Whenever you post progress pics, dont use timg. let those pics break the forums.

Baronjutter posted:

Train update

Welcome back train guy!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I won't lie, I've been heavily tempted by the 1/72nd scale Revell Gato in the past. I settled for the 1/144 instead and though it looked big in that scale.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Ive got a 1/72 Type 7 that i just dont have the space for. Im thinking of cutting it in half and have it crash dive with a Sunderland or something like that above it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Also, here's a tiny cockpit:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Managed to chip some paint for real off of the fender, so I thought I'd play with rust before I stripped it and started again. Looks pretty okay, I think.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Could anyone recommend a good 1/72 modern helicopter crew kit?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've been planning on putting up signal flags on the Bluenose model that I have been working on and selected a message that I wanted to spell out. Rather than order the flags (which would be prohibitively expensive) from the aftermarket, I took some sewing pattern paper and marked out 21 half inch squares and painted in the flags I would need. I spent the evening doing the first side; tomorrow will be painting in the other sides and then eventually affixing them to lines and chaining them together to run up one of the flag halyards (probably the one on the foremast as the Nova Scotia flag will fly from the main mast, and the Canadian Red Ensign will fly from the flag halyard on the main gaff. They will spell out a message when properly arranged.

I am aware that while spending a shitload of money on what amounts to string seems odd while being too cheap to order signal flags, the thing is that I have the capability and equipment to make those flags myself where I do not have the means to make scale rope.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
I'll bite.
What, pray tell is the message you wish to convey??

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Nucken Futz posted:

I'll bite.
What, pray tell is the message you wish to convey??
Stuck in flag factory, send help

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It's a line from a Stan Rogers tune, "...child of the wind and tide."

Finished them up this evening, and linked each flag with a tiny reef knot. There was no way in hell I was making tiny Inglefield clips for this part of the project.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Big thanks to all the suggestions for scratch building the headlight cage. Ended up using 22g wire. Probably a smidge too thick for proper scale, but it was what I had on hand, and I'm happy with how it came out. Was actually a pretty enjoyable task too, considering how much I'd been dreading it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Slugworth posted:

Big thanks to all the suggestions for scratch building the headlight cage. Ended up using 22g wire. Probably a smidge too thick for proper scale, but it was what I had on hand, and I'm happy with how it came out. Was actually a pretty enjoyable task too, considering how much I'd been dreading it.

Did you work in brass or steel? I've had great luck working with both and it's pretty neat how many doors it opens once you get used to working with something like that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fearless posted:

Did you work in brass or steel? I've had great luck working with both and it's pretty neat how many doors it opens once you get used to working with something like that.
Brass. It was easy to work, but holds its shape well. Of course, a minute after I posted, I accidentally slipped while working on something else and smashed the cage apart. And of course I can't get it put back together aligned as well this time. Still calling it a success though, dammit. Now to scratch build a second headlight, since the kit only came with one.

Or steal a headlight from an already built model that I care less about...

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Two magic words ; Battle and Damaged ;)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good brands/places to buy aftermarket details for model planes and ships besides Eduard?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fearless posted:

It's a line from a Stan Rogers tune, "...child of the wind and tide."

I'd have gone with the one where the dude bangs a lady centaur.

But seriously, that's a really cool idea. And the boat looks great.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 30, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phi230 posted:

What are some good brands/places to buy aftermarket details for model planes and ships besides Eduard?

Eduard really is king poo poo of model mountain for this stuff. Griffon Model makes good stuff, as does Lion Roar. Victory Models, Airscale, White Ensign, etc etc. The list goes on.

If you have a kit already in mind you want aftermarket for, best to hop on over to Scalemates. You can find said kit there, and it'll show a fairly comprehensive list of all aftermarket kits available for it. It won't show 100% of every possible aftermarket kit possibly available, but they come drat close. They also show reviews, book resources, people build logs. It's a pretty great site.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd have gone with the one where the dude bangs a lady centaur.

But seriously, that's a really cool idea. And the boat looks great.

:stare: I'm good with what I chose, thanks!

And thank you for the kinds words too-- I saw an image of Bluenose after one of her races and they had a bunch of signal flags up then so I wanted to replicate that. Twenty tiny reef knots later, and the flags are all tied off and ready to be attached to their halyard on the foremast.

E: I hadn't heard that song before-- I heard Bluenose as a kid, and Barrett's Privateers was a regular fixture in the mess but the Witch of the Westmorland is new to me so thank you for that!

Fearless fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 1, 2020

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Decided to try cutting open a 1/144 canopy:

Had to thin out the center section a decent amount to get it to sit on the rear piece:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Nice sub. I just burned about $350 on space mans.

But I really just replied to say that fogging and crazed are two separate things; I typically like to start habby tine with a thorough fogging and and maybe get a bit crazed on solvent/propellant fumes as I go along.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 30, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Slugworth posted:

Stuck in flag factory, send help

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

If I'm getting a dumb 5" pewter mascot for a work anniversary, how do I paint it? What do I need?

I've looked up some warhammer mini guides, but those aren't helpful.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePopeOfFun posted:

If I'm getting a dumb 5" pewter mascot for a work anniversary, how do I paint it? What do I need?

Paint it with the blood and tears of the workers?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The mini painting thread has advice in spades for you.

You'll want to prime it, then whatever you use to paint it, and then a layer of varnish over the top so your paint job doesn't immediately flake off when someone touches the thing. Acrylics are probably a safe bet.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Paint it with the blood and tears of the workers?

I've been bottling my own for some time and now I have something to do with it all, thank you.

grassy gnoll posted:

The mini painting thread has advice in spades for you.

You'll want to prime it, then whatever you use to paint it, and then a layer of varnish over the top so your paint job doesn't immediately flake off when someone touches the thing. Acrylics are probably a safe bet.

Ahhhh nice. Thanks.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

For what it's worth, -site:pinterest.com at the end of your search term will omit pinterest from google searches. Nothing worse than pinterest poo poo popping up, tantalizing you, and then being garbage. Worst website ever.

Thank you for this tip. I hate pinterest results making GBS threads up my attempts to assemble visual clipfiles.

I'm building a kitbash inspired by the Canavan antigrav combat car from the game 'Brigador'. It has been ongoing for a long time but I'm making a lot of headway during the pandemic even though I have very little free time. It gives me something totally personal to work on when I'm home from my job.

It's built around a nascar kit as an armature, with the main portion of the sleek outer hull taken from a racing boat.

There will be a long skid-shoe along the bottom edge. I'm still figuring out what looks right for positioning. I tried this arrangement last night with the front tip of the skid well forward of the front of the vehicle but I don't think I like it. I'm going to try it so that it doesn't protrude past the nose armour.

Finding a lot of satisfaction in greebles like this intercooler. It will be mostly covered up but I want something fun to look at when the hood/glacis is opened.

Working out ideas for exhaust ducts and spoilers. This bigass exhaust I sourced from the smokestack of a WW2 ship. I think I'm going to need milliput or something to craft a Nihei-esque tangle of hoses and and pipes feeding through.

I wish I had started kitbashing a decade ago.

Baronjutter posted:

Train update

I've loved watching your take on train sets. This new arrangement is so dense and pleasing. Were you using those laser cut templates to slot your buildings into before? It's very clever!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Scut posted:

Thank you for this tip. I hate pinterest results making GBS threads up my attempts to assemble visual clipfiles.

I'm building a kitbash inspired by the Canavan antigrav combat car from the game 'Brigador'. It has been ongoing for a long time but I'm making a lot of headway during the pandemic even though I have very little free time. It gives me something totally personal to work on when I'm home from my job.

It's built around a nascar kit as an armature, with the main portion of the sleek outer hull taken from a racing boat.

There will be a long skid-shoe along the bottom edge. I'm still figuring out what looks right for positioning. I tried this arrangement last night with the front tip of the skid well forward of the front of the vehicle but I don't think I like it. I'm going to try it so that it doesn't protrude past the nose armour.

Finding a lot of satisfaction in greebles like this intercooler. It will be mostly covered up but I want something fun to look at when the hood/glacis is opened.

Working out ideas for exhaust ducts and spoilers. This bigass exhaust I sourced from the smokestack of a WW2 ship. I think I'm going to need milliput or something to craft a Nihei-esque tangle of hoses and and pipes feeding through.

I wish I had started kitbashing a decade ago.

I've loved watching your take on train sets. This new arrangement is so dense and pleasing. Were you using those laser cut templates to slot your buildings into before? It's very clever!

All this poo poo is turbo awesome. You can never have too many hoses.

Got cracking on the S600 and it's coming right along. First 7 steps of the instructions from engine to rolling chassis:

It's so tiny!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm excited to see how your bash turns out, Scut. I like using a bunch of different gauges of wire, with the thinner ones wrapped around the ticker ones for texture for greebly hose bits.

Content: camouflage that is not green.

I wish I'd committed to a third color, but I'm a dumbshit. Turns out I only have one other 1/48th model right now. I should probably remedy that.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

What a Cutiekrad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Lego thread has been talking about backlogs and it got me curious - What do you all have squirreled away in closets? Or overflowing spare bedrooms?

I've just got a VW Bus waiting for me, but it arrived a few days ago and I'm already eyeballing my next purchase.