Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Several weeks after the character was introduced and I've just realied that "Jean-Mi" is an abbreviation of "Jean-Michel".

What makes it even worse that I've only just figured it out is that those are my middle names :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Elias_Maluco posted:

I watched 3 more episodes yesterday and I have to confess I'm still loving it

The world outside the park is surprisingly alive, visually stunning and touches many interesting subjects. I liked all the new characters, Im enjoying all plots and the acting is superb all around.

Definitely a huge improvement over the confusing mess that was S2, and so different it almost feels like a sequel to Westworld

I'll be back after the finale to read you guys explain why it was poo poo

edit: random fact: I loved that in that scene with the president of Brazil, the guy playing the president obviously never spoke a word of portuguese before, which is the normal in american TV shows whenever a brazilian shows up. But then Vincent Cassel talked and I was shocked to hear he speak in perfect fluent brazilian portuguese. I looked it up and turns out he lives here

So many questions, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

How do you feel this compares to the first season? Who are your favorite characters this season? What’s your favorite episode? What are you hoping happens in tonight’s episode?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ghostwritingduck posted:

So many questions, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

How do you feel this compares to the first season? Who are your favorite characters this season? What’s your favorite episode? What are you hoping happens in tonight’s episode?

I don't know if I have a favorite. I really liked Caleb and his dynamic with Dolores; I really like Serac, I found him a cool and smooth complex villain with believable motivations; as for the old characters: Dolores "I'm a badass" attitude is maybe a little overdone, but I enjoyed most of her scenes (while I hated her in S2); Willian was awesome as always, I loved having Stubbs back and working with Bernard, Maeve is cool and good but problabky her plot is the weaker part of the season

As for how it compares to S1, I dunno. Like I said, for me S3 feels more like a sequel than a new season of the same show, but one that it is very interesting on its own. The plot is a lot less convoluted and actually makes sense and the world outside the park is fascinating

I don't know what to expect for the finale, also because I didn't watched episode 7 yet, I will watch before the last one

Anyway, I would give it a 8/10 for what I watched so far, while season 2 was at most a 5 (and S1 a 9)

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I mean, Westworld is mostly a good show. The outfits are fantastic, the acting is good with some occasionally terrific moments, the set design and locations have been top notch, the music is wonderful, the special effects are mostly great....

It's just, y'know, the writing.

(Also sometimes the editing.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
tviv: i’m sick of ~prestige television~ and just want shows to be fun

also tviv: i refuse to enjoy anything that doesn’t solve the fundamental questions of human existence

:thunk:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

who said that? i certainly didn't

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If they didn’t want people to expect that maybe they shouldn’t have spent 2 seasons asking a bunch of fundamental questions of human existence including positing that human behavior can be codified.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My final prediction is that the "real world" is just a simulation and Dolores and Caleb escape into the real real world, which next season will be all about (probably also a simulation).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I anxiously await the introduction of aliens into season 4.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My final prediction is that the "real world" is just a simulation and Dolores and Caleb escape into the real real world, which next season will be all about (probably also a simulation).

I hope this happens at the end of every season, for 10 more seasons

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

beanieson posted:

I hope this happens at the end of every season, for 10 more seasons

Me too. With a different crazy genius with convoluted motives every season.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Each season has reality world more far into the future, with more advanced driverless golf car prop.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Each season has reality world more far into the future, with more advanced driverless golf car prop.

Next season is all about Bikelores bonding with someone who appreciates her: Pee Wee Herman. Unfortunately, Bikelores is then stolen/lost and Pee Wee has to get her back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bikelores should have gotten her own episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bikelores should have gotten her own episode.

Give her a spinoff.

Get it? Get it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why didn't he take Maeve's pearl too?

People have to act like idiots for this show to have conflicts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I like Ed Harris the White

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Caleb wandering around half the episode looking confused has been a waste.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Bikelores spotted! Stubbs went out like a bitch.

Edit: and Dolores final form, Terminlores.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 4, 2020

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Can someone quote that post from last week? You know which one I’m talking about.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tomapot posted:

A very accurate audience insert.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I like Ed Harris the White

Lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Okay, I'm pretty sure I liked that season more than the second one

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Okay, I'm pretty sure I liked that season more than the second one

Definitely higher highs. The lows were the same: characters whose motivation only makes sense if you’ve read the script for the entire season.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
At least it didn't turn out to just be a simulation. Yet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm realizing that I'm feeling the same way about this show now as I did about Person of Interest - some really good highs, but kind of blank out when it comes to everything else and just watch it in the background, which is kind of to be expected of a network show, but not of what Season 1 was, which was more of a contained (long) film.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Another Dolorii cameo.

Don't help those guards or anything Maeve. Instead just make a face when they all get murdered.

So Serac isn't an AI, he just listens to one unquestioningly. Got you again reddit!

"You're all copies of me." That seems like a huge retcon. Or is it? I can't even remember. Seems to push Dolores as more of an egomaniac now that she wants to just create a race that are all Dolorii. Wait no I guess Dolores just wants to kill all humans on her new path. Wait no Dolores planned it all to convince Caleb! "We had to destroy the village in order to save it" :v: Now world's slowest guards, kill Caleb and Maeve!

I guess Bernard knows that Dolores is dead the same way that Dolores took control of Rehoboam. Because the script demanded it.

tomapot posted:

Look it's either him or Bernard. Someone has to do it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Poor Stubbs still sitting in the tub ten years later, because Bernard just couldn't patch him up before putting the VR headset on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dolores was always the first one that worked so it’s not a retcon, it’s just how computer programs work.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Dolores is dead except there's still two? Dolorii out there besides Hale.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Well that didn't answer anything

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Well that didn't answer anything

Not much of a crust on you

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

That was not as bad as I was expecting. It had some really cheesy moments but I felt like Caleb’s payoff was solid at least. Maybe Rehoboam played along because it just wanted to be wiped and check out of the show. Good to see Bikelores and ED-209. Post credits was awesome.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Another Dolorii cameo.

Don't help those guards or anything Maeve. Instead just make a face when they all get murdered.

So Serac isn't an AI, he just listens to one unquestioningly. Got you again reddit!

"You're all copies of me." That seems like a huge retcon. Or is it? I can't even remember. Seems to push Dolores as more of an egomaniac now that she wants to just create a race that are all Dolorii. Wait no I guess Dolores just wants to kill all humans on her new path. Wait no Dolores planned it all to convince Caleb! "We had to destroy the village in order to save it" :v: Now world's slowest guards, kill Caleb and Maeve!

I guess Bernard knows that Dolores is dead the same way that Dolores took control of Rehoboam. Because the script demanded it.

Look it's either him or Bernard. Someone has to do it.

Serac being totally human and free but willingly choosing to be Rehoboam's puppet was a way cooler reveal than just him being the ai. We all knew he was controlled by the AI, but him being a willing participant really fit the character they built up and was a nice little swerve imo.

Dolores was the first host and all future hosts would have been based on her programming. She's not saying that every host is dolores like hale and the others were, just that she was the original and the blueprint for all of the hosts.

Dolores didn't magically take over Rehoboam, she had a trojan/system key or whatever that could take over the ai hidden in her mind and Serac/Rehoboam thought it was the encryption key for robot heaven, which was actually stored in Bernard. The little usb drive that Caleb had was never the payload for the plan, Dolores was.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
If Caleb's chill mercenary buddies aren't major characters in season 4 I'm out. Every scene with Ash and Marshawn Lynch's character, who I forget the name of, was great.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 4, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tweet my meat posted:

Serac being totally human and free but willingly choosing to be Rehoboam's puppet was a way cooler reveal than just him being the ai. We all knew he was controlled by the AI, but him being a willing participant really fit the character they built up and was a nice little swerve imo.

Dolores was the first host and all future hosts would have been based on her programming. She's not saying that every host is dolores like hale and the others were, just that she was the original and the blueprint for all of the hosts.

Dolores didn't magically take over Rehoboam, she had a trojan/system key or whatever that could take over the ai hidden in her mind and Serac/Rehoboam thought it was the encryption key for robot heaven, which was actually stored in Bernard. The little usb drive that Caleb had was never the payload for the plan, Dolores was.

Yea the Serac thing was neat. It also reminded me of one of the antagonists in PoI who created a godlike AI and then choose to defer and follow to it unconditionally. At least that guy had enough faith to die for his machine beliefs though. Step up your villainy Serac :colbert:

I honestly couldn't remember that plotpoint from s1. My point was more that she was still really lucky that her insanely convoluted plan was successful.

Difference without a distinction for the last point.

tweet my meat posted:

If Caleb's chill mercenary buddies aren't major characters in season 4 I'm out. Every scene with Ash and Marshawn Lynch's character, who I forget the name of, was great.

Add one of those riot control ED-209 robots to his posse too.

e: somehow put Stubbs into that thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Overall I really liked this season and the ending was good but christ that was a really long stinger for TV if you cut it off after credits rolled you'd have missed some major poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like that season, but I am also a season 2 liker. Bring on Season 4 please. I hope its not a 2 year long wait but with the way this pandemic is going, it probably will be. It'll actually probably be longer than 2 years if its not just outright canceled due to world events.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea the Serac thing was neat. It also reminded me of one of the antagonists in PoI who created a godlike AI and then choose to defer and follow to it unconditionally. At least that guy had enough faith to die for his machine beliefs though. Step up your villainy Serac :colbert:

I honestly couldn't remember that plotpoint from s1. My point was more that she was still really lucky that her insanely convoluted plan was successful.

Difference without a distinction for the last point.

The trojan was placed by the rogue ai and she was the payload for its plan to overthrow Rehoboam. Made sense that the rogue ai programmed by Serac's brother, who saw things a lot more clearly despite his mental issues, would be able to take over Rehoboam given direct access and I thought it was a pretty neat way to write the plan.

They knew she had something hidden in her mind, the twist is that it was something entirely different than we were led to expect, and it was foreshadowed pretty heavily through Bernard's whole plotline about him trying to figure out what Dolores planted in his mind. I thought it was one of the better twists in the season personally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm still holding out hope for the Lee Sizemore riot bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I won't accept Season 4 unless Stubbs upper body is attached to the top of a riot control robot.