Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like that the Marauder still follows Big Rods original plans where to work, warp nacelles needed to see each other with nothing in the way. So that's why the Warbird has this giant negative space in it, and the aforementioned Marauder has the edges of its wings(?) pointed down so this works. Though the Bird of Prey ignores this before Roddenberry died.

Marvel hasn't given us that many ships so far, but I really like Ronan's Dark Aster ship from Guardians 1

It's simple, but very sinister. I like how the interior is completely alien, like you have no idea how this thing is controlled, but it works.

And big, big fan of the Milano

It is a spaceship, but it also looks like a high performance sports car. I also like the way its command deck is positioned, stepped down along the prow.

Battlefleet Gothic, either the PC games or the tabletop game has some great ship designs. But my favorite are the Imperiums Battleships

They are just massive, bristling with guns and an armored prow that can just plow through anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My favorite Lego spaceship that I ever had, even more prized than bigger and fancier ones that came later, was the Deep Freeze Defender:

https://twitter.com/LegoSpaceBot/status/1055846425534316544/photo/1

twistedmentat posted:

I like that the Marauder still follows Big Rods original plans where to work, warp nacelles needed to see each other with nothing in the way. So that's why the Warbird has this giant negative space in it, and the aforementioned Marauder has the edges of its wings(?) pointed down so this works. Though the Bird of Prey ignores this before Roddenberry died.

Roddenberry had no direct control over any of the movies except The Motion Picture. He could write memos (which, if I remember right, the producers said they used about a third of) and he could leak scripts to the fans, but that was about it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a memo moldering in some file cabinet about how the Bird of Prey needs x and y changes.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The stiletto from Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Guns in the front and back, engine nacelles in the front and back so it doesn't have to spin around to slow down and can fire any direction while accelerating or decelerating. Basically the B5 starfury in capital ship form.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My favorite Lego spaceship that I ever had, even more prized than bigger and fancier ones that came later, was the Deep Freeze Defender:

https://twitter.com/LegoSpaceBot/status/1055846425534316544/photo/1

Roddenberry had no direct control over any of the movies except The Motion Picture. He could write memos (which, if I remember right, the producers said they used about a third of) and he could leak scripts to the fans, but that was about it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a memo moldering in some file cabinet about how the Bird of Prey needs x and y changes.

I accidentally dropped one of those as a kid when playing Legos and it shattered.

It was my friend’s

We stopped playing for a couple of days after that day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dialhforhero posted:

I accidentally dropped one of those as a kid when playing Legos and it shattered.

It was my friend’s

We stopped playing for a couple of days after that day.

I admit that I too was one of those weird kids who liked keeping their Lego kits in stock configuration, and was unreasonably grumpy if one of my friends busted one up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea I watched those videos about the Trek movies about how Roddenberry would just send notes that everyone would go "lol okay whatever" and ignore. He also really wanted to make a movie where Spock had shot JFK.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I watched those videos about the Trek movies about how Roddenberry would just send notes that everyone would go "lol okay whatever" and ignore. He also really wanted to make a movie where Spock had shot JFK.

Yeah, after TMP he was “kicked upstairs” to a supposedly more important position in which he had no influence over how the movies were made. But he was obsessed with Spock killing JFK and apparently brought it up during the planning of four different movies. He just thought it was the neatest idea.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Action Jacktion posted:

Yeah, after TMP he was “kicked upstairs” to a supposedly more important position in which he had no influence over how the movies were made. But he was obsessed with Spock killing JFK and apparently brought it up during the planning of four different movies. He just thought it was the neatest idea.

He just wanted to do City on the Edge of Forever with JFK, basically, because Gene loved to recycle plotlines. This particular habit is why early TNG is so rocky before he becomes too ill to control the writing.

I think he was also on board with Kirk getting into a fist-fight with Literally Jesus, which eventually became Star Trek V after a fashion.

Anyway, space ships. While you can't beat the iconic TIE Fighter in terms of its simplicity and amazing sound design, the coolest version of it is easily the TIE Interceptor.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 5, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Posting that is shaming me for all the kits i have sitting in my closet unassembled.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's the famous Starship Dimensions, which shows relative sizes of ships from different media. Yes, I know that sizes are inconsistent even from scene to scene in the same show or movie but it's still neat to look at so stop complaining.

http://merzo.net/indexSD.html

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

Posting that is shaming me for all the kits i have sitting in my closet unassembled.

oh yeah speaking of which, i have a bunch of ships at the same scale:

(pictures are a bit old, i've since added the -D in there, maybe i'll take new pics later)

all in 1:1400 scale. also all assembled/painted by friends who are much better at model-making than i am, and were so kind as to do so as birthday/christmas gifts.

but what's that peeking in from the corner?

Arcadia! Also in 1:1400!

also an old Bandai Enterprise-refit chilling at the back as well.

the plexiglass is less about keeping dust out and more about keeping cats out; the Bandai is pretty fragile these days after having been knocked over a few times.

oh, that poster peeking from behind?

and what's that to the left of the poster?

it's 19.5 square feet of Enterprise-D blueprints! :buddy:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I will always love basically every design from Homeworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCODXqlCxc

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Could go for some waffles right about now

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Just spent some cash on one of these meaty bastards

The sphere isn't black and the black things aren't spheres :confused:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Just spent some cash on one of these meaty bastards

The ship that caused the Millennium Falcon to be redesigned during production to avoid copyright infringement:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

"Mothership" from Homeworld.

The "Kuun-Lan" from Homeworld: Cataclysm - Made all that cooler due to the incredible story arc in that game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I always liked the United Earth warships from Escape Velocity Override:

(the ships in the foreground)

They always had such a charming retro-rocket ship look to them while still really espousing what the UE was all about in that game: fast, maneuverable and covered in guns.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Robot Style posted:

The ship that caused the Millennium Falcon to be redesigned during production to avoid copyright infringement:

You sure this wasn’t for the Corellian Corvette?

Because the Corvette is a blatant rip off right down to the engines and escape pods if this came first.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

You sure this wasn’t for the Corellian Corvette?

Because the Corvette is a blatant rip off right down to the engines and escape pods if this came first.

that is the original millennium falcon model. after they decided to redesign the falcon, the model was modified and repurposed as leias ship

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flimf posted:

"Mothership" from Homeworld.

The "Kuun-Lan" from Homeworld: Cataclysm - Made all that cooler due to the incredible story arc in that game.

I've always liked the HW1 mothership more with the chunk missing from the top and exposed pillar for a bridge. It breaks the design up in a pleasing way.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Squizzle posted:

that is the original millennium falcon model. after they decided to redesign the falcon, the model was modified and repurposed as leias ship

And that original design has lived on as the Corellian gunship:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Aluminum Mallard occupies a special place in my heart. I'll see a surgeon about having it removed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
SPACE SHIPS

HELL YEAH

READY TO LAUNCH

ALL SYSTEMS GO

WHERE WE'LL END, UP NOBODY KNOWS

WE'RE FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM

WE'RE FIGHTING FOR HOME

SOMETIMES WE'RE OUT THERE JUST FIGHTING ALONE

WEIRD ONES

POINTY ONES

FAMILIAR ONES

REBEL ONES

BIG SCORE AHEAD...

...I MEAN IT THIS TIME

BUT IF WE DON'T MAKE IT

THE HONOR'S BEEN MINE

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

twistedmentat posted:

And big, big fan of the Milano

It is a spaceship, but it also looks like a high performance sports car. I also like the way its command deck is positioned, stepped down along the prow.

The Milano and the other Reaver ships are actually really cool designs, even if a lot of other Marvel stuff is fairly meh, definitely among my favorite ships from modern years.

I think the ship from Prometheus was another very solid design, both outside and inside, that you don't really get to see in action enough to appreciate

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
The SA-43 Hammerhead from Space: Above and Beyond. It isn't the slickest design (and the show only lasted one season) but loved it while it was on. It was an early attempt to do a real-ish/grim dark sci-fi show and it seems like it left finger prints on stuff like Stargate and New Battlestar.

https://snubfighter.fandom.com/wiki/SA-43_%27Hammerhead%27
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oBazJ

Also it had R. Lee Ermey as Space DI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlyNiXPA47M#t=1m45s

edit: diff. link

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let's talk star destroyers a little, as an excuse to post some glamour shots.

This is the Republic-era "the Empire is about to happen" star destroyer, the Venator-class, featured prominently in Episode III during the Coruscant battle sequence. It's a pretty cool design, with its distinctively different-but-recognizable silhouette from the star destroyer. In a testament to overall Star Wars design, it's also amazing how much work that single red stripe is doing to make it look less menacing:

There are lots of star destroyer models scattered around the fiction and I'm not going to attempt to find all of them, as many only appear in books and have only fan art to use as pictures. The Secutor-class, below, began as fan art in 2011 and was officially knighted by Lucasfilm as a "real" star destroyer and retconned into the EU. It bears a striking resemblance to the Supremacy from The Last Jedi.

Anyway, the real star destroyer, the one to which all others must be compared and found wanting, is the "Imperial"-class star destroyer. The bone-white design makes good use of the aesthetic of 2001: A Space Odyssey to create something ominous. Unlike a lot of fictional spaceships it also looks like it's designed with its overall use in mind. It looks easy for this ship to engage enemies on multiple vectors, and it has seemingly utilitarian aspects to it, like the raised bridge area and globes that we later learn are shield generators. It looks much like a spaceship "ought" to look, in that it brings up strong real-world parallels with aircraft carriers, and while its coloration is a design choice, no one is likely going to see a paintjob in space, even at dogfight range.

The Gladiator-class is a 2016 design created for Fantasy Flight's Star Wars RPG. It plays a role as and visibly represents a "half" star destroyer, and the design is pretty neato in my opinion.

Now let's talk "super" star destroyers, differentiated by their even bigger size, which surely gives them many more hit points than regular star destroyers.

As the EU continued to recycle Sith v. Jedi plots interminably, the writers invented a new star destroyer, the Pellaeon class, named after one of the many in the never-ending succession of "Imperial remnant" leaders who never seemed to go away throughout the EU. To give you an idea of the stagnancy here, this ship shows up in the storyline over a hundred years after Return of the Jedi. It has a sleek, "hooded" design that creates a unique silhouette.

The famous one is of course Darth Vader's Executor, reputed by various technical manuals to be infinity meters long. What I think is interesting about this design is that it's ugly. The midsection has an affect not unlike exposed guts or a skidmark in gray dirt. In closeup it looks like it has a serious bug problem.

The sequel trilogy for the most part is riffing on old designs to build up that nostalgia. Its star destroyer class is the Resurgent, which features a hollowed out wedge:

The Last Jedi introduces the Mandator IV dreadnought, also known as the pizza of death. Note that this ship is basically designed from a production standpoint so that you can have a starfighter race all around it and keep it very easy to see the spatial relationships between shots.

Perhaps the most notable new star destroyer design is the Supremacy, Snoke's "command ship." This is a star destroyer dressed up like a B-2 stealth bomber, which is a cool riff on the design, but the reason anyone really remembers it is one particular shot from The Last Jedi.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 10, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The Dämmerung from Xenosaga.

I love this stupidly extra, legally classified as an artificial planet in-universe, gaudy-rear end corporate headquarters starship. It is exactly the thing you would think of if someone asked you to dream up what a man who was basically space anime Elon Musk (a hyper rich cryptic dipshit who thinks he's humanity's savior, but is actually just an idiot who ruins others lives for fun and profit) would build to be his version of Tesla's headquarters.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Didn't see these yet but I like them all

Buck Rogers Thunderfighter (cool name)

Starbug (it's cute!)

and the Sulaco (it... looks like a gun, how appropriate)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the uss cygnus, from disneys THE BLACK HOLE, is fuckin beautiful

over the past few decades, the trend has-been steadily increasing the size of space ships. the enterprise-d was a huge ship for the 1980s/early 90s, and it barely rates today. the uss cygnus was, like the star destroyer, an impossibly-big mile-long spacecraft. that might not seem like much now, but in its day, it was a titan

it was just as weird and beautiful inside as outside

the cygnus, is rad

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I will upload photos and expand my explanations when not phone posting but...

TCS Lexington
I loved seeing this ship in WC3 and being able to fly through it.

TCS Midway
I am convinced that the reimagined BSG took elements from the Midway and rustic Lexington to create the Galactica and Pegasus.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ooh I completely forgot about the Xenosaga ships.

I liked the Durandal which also functioned as a office building when docked with a station.

EDIT: A Picture

Actually all the Xenosaga ship designs are great. I'll have to post some images when I'm home from work.

Can I just take a moment how much i hate Wikis and their cluttering up GIS with their undownloadable images?

I posted The Starfury, but generally all the Babylon 5 ships are great. They are primative looking because mid 90s cgi, but they still are awesome

Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer

Minbari Sharlin Crusier

Narn G'Quan Crusier

Centuari Primus Battleship

I wish i could have found a better picture of this one.

I'd love to see a modern version of B5 with upgraded cgi models, though as I've complained before, they'd half rear end it.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 11, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
So some dude has put out some renders that are allegedly, for the most part, the original art assets (and even allegedly rendered on the same software), just with the resolution cranked up to 1920x1080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AJP0693mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU91BMLgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFFfmE0L_ac

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

So some dude has put out some renders that are allegedly, for the most part, the original art assets (and even allegedly rendered on the same software), just with the resolution cranked up to 1920x1080.

While they look good, they're still just mid 90s cgi. Though they do illustrate how alien and terrifying the Shadow's ships were.

That also reminds me of one of the things I loved about Babylon 5 is that the tech between races was varied. In most sci fi settings everyone's normally at parity, like someone might be faster or have better shields or whatnot, but in b5 some races don't even have artificial gravity and lack the engineering to even make rotating hulls to create gravity. Humans are shown to be somewhere in between there, will bow Omega and Nova class ships serving at the same time.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Huh. I've never noticed before that the Agrippa's lights start flickering when the Alexander lasers it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

While they look good, they're still just mid 90s cgi. Though they do illustrate how alien and terrifying the Shadow's ships were.

That also reminds me of one of the things I loved about Babylon 5 is that the tech between races was varied. In most sci fi settings everyone's normally at parity, like someone might be faster or have better shields or whatnot, but in b5 some races don't even have artificial gravity and lack the engineering to even make rotating hulls to create gravity. Humans are shown to be somewhere in between there, will bow Omega and Nova class ships serving at the same time.

Oh true, it wouldn't hold up for a new modern production, but it's still pretty amazing how good it looks just by cranking up the resolution. A lot of the magic in the B5 exteriors was in the "camerawork".

Nova class are the Omega-looking ones without rotating sections, right? Yeah those ones just don't have any gravity at all, it's just zero-g for the full deployment. Probably a contributing factor to why General Franklin didn't want his troops sitting out on the transport ships for too long. First EarthForce ship with artificial gravity is the Warlock destroyer... I can't remember when it's first seen, definitely not in the main series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh true, it wouldn't hold up for a new modern production, but it's still pretty amazing how good it looks just by cranking up the resolution. A lot of the magic in the B5 exteriors was in the "camerawork".

Nova class are the Omega-looking ones without rotating sections, right? Yeah those ones just don't have any gravity at all, it's just zero-g for the full deployment. Probably a contributing factor to why General Franklin didn't want his troops sitting out on the transport ships for too long. First EarthForce ship with artificial gravity is the Warlock destroyer... I can't remember when it's first seen, definitely not in the main series.

I think you see one in one of the movies, or maybe the Crusade pilot? And yea, Nova's were precursors to the Omega and served along with Hyperions in the Earth Minbari war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm a fan of the NASA concept art of a real-life Starship Enteprrise:

Legit want to see a Star Trek reboot that looks something like this.