Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ok thread what is the best way to drop a small hobby drone at about 50 yards safely? I am going to start with 12g #4 steel shot, seems like the best option. I don't want to use a rifle since I don't want to send rifle rounds off at high trajectories.

Anyone have any experience shooting down or getting their drones shot down?

Is there any way to track down which shithead owns the drone based on the serial number or anything else afterwards?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Tail between my legs, with a new sense of humility, I return with a new Mini. Best Buy took it for exchange, no questions asked.

I've now learned that these things have a bit wider turn radius than it appears on camera, and will treat this one much more carefully!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't shoot firearms at toy helicopters, you lunatic.

e: not jonny

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I've got an Air 2 pre-ordered. This will be my first drone. I'm a certificated private pilot working on my instrument and all I need to do to get my 107 is make time to get with a local DPE to sign me off (COVID has made that somewhat challenging).

I also live under delta airspace. Downloaded the DJI fly app and looks like I have to get an unlock every time I want to fly around my yard. This is a blue "Authorization" area. I'm not that far off the approach end of a runway and thus not far from a red "restricted" zone.

Is this going to be a giant pain in the rear end? Are unlocks in authorization zones hard to get? What about restricted zones? This is probably me being a little to proud of myself, but can I just photocopy my private certificate and send it to DJI to get some kind of permanent unlock?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sagebrush posted:

don't shoot firearms at toy helicopters, you lunatic.

Why not? Getting tired of this thing flying around my house every Saturday morning. I already moved the shotgun to the deck, just waiting for next week now.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Ok thread what is the best way to drop a small hobby drone at about 50 yards safely? I am going to start with 12g #4 steel shot, seems like the best option. I don't want to use a rifle since I don't want to send rifle rounds off at high trajectories.

Is there any way to track down which shithead owns the drone based on the serial number or anything else afterwards?

I’m guessing you’re trolling but if not here you go https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/88696-before-you-pull-the-trigger-the-legal-implications-of-shooting-down-a-drone

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Not trolling, it's perfectly legal to discharge firearms on your property around here, and the polite deputy already informed me they have zero resources to deal with idiots and their drones, he was the one who suggested I shoot it down.

I killed a squirrel for fun and then shot through a box of old 9mm just because I was bored this morning. Not everyone lives in a studio in Williamsburg.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Not trolling, it's perfectly legal to discharge firearms on your property around here, and the polite deputy already informed me they have zero resources to deal with idiots and their drones, he was the one who suggested I shoot it down.

I killed a squirrel for fun and then shot through a box of old 9mm just because I was bored this morning. Not everyone lives in a studio in Williamsburg.

It’s also perfectly legal to fly a drone. It’s illegal however to shoot down a drone. Maybe try TFR if you want a better response; you just did the equivalent of asking a pet owners group how to kill your neighbors German Shepard.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah that's some cursed poo poo. Looks like it's a federal crime to shoot down UAVs of any size. good luck using the "but i can shoot guns on my property" defense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you can take down the drone with a javelin, sling, trained falcon, or other ancient weapon i'll grudgingly allow it.

https://i.imgur.com/lfFDjAV.mp4

if you need to use your chrome bang bang wee wee to attack the scary plastic helicopter you need to grow a set of balls.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why not? Getting tired of this thing flying around my house every Saturday morning. I already moved the shotgun to the deck, just waiting for next week now.

It's very illegal, for one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

if you need to use your chrome bang bang wee wee to attack the scary plastic helicopter you need to grow a set of balls.

You could even get your own runestone for the feat!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

pro tip: airport primary radar doesn't work below the horizon and no piloted aircraft should be flying lower than 500' AGL anywhere except within like a mile of an airport. no one's gonna know or care what you're doing with a drone if you stay low.
This forever. You can pry my telemetry-less acro quad from my cold dead hands, but also the highest it's ever been is probably 100m over terrain, couple dozen meters over features. If you're flying that close you've got more pressing issues.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Destruction of property, probably some reckless endangerment charges if someone's feeling aggro that day. In the US there might be charges related to willful damage to aircraft.

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol

Pryor on Fire posted:

I killed a squirrel for fun. Not everyone lives in a studio in Williamsburg.
nice.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 2, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please shoot that drone down, it’s for sure not super illegal and nothing bad will happen to you.

Also lol at getting mad enough at a drone to shoot it down. Get your own drone and joust it out of the air like a real man.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Pryor on Fire posted:

Have you considered the same rights that let you own guns and murder random animals for no reason, also might let other people play with flying toys?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
If the drone follows the same path every time around your house, get a few spools of sewing thread and put together a huge spiderweb or grid of thread. Invisible to Any FPV cam and will catch it without destructive intent, then wait for them to show up to retrieve it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Rontalvos posted:

If the drone follows the same path every time around your house, get a few spools of sewing thread and put together a huge spiderweb or grid of thread. Invisible to Any FPV cam and will catch it without destructive intent, then wait for them to show up to retrieve it.

Why would you give this guy ideas. If the drone pilot gets murdered by this toothless hillbilly it's on you

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also lol at getting mad enough at a drone to shoot it down. Get your own drone and joust it out of the air like a real man.

Sacrificial babyhawk should take down just about anything while also being much cheaper than a lawyer.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Jonny 290 posted:

Tail between my legs, with a new sense of humility, I return with a new Mini. Best Buy took it for exchange, no questions asked.

I've now learned that these things have a bit wider turn radius than it appears on camera, and will treat this one much more carefully!

If you want to play in the fastest mode, do some stop tests close to you. For the size and power they really move fast, but for stopping and turning at top speed they are really underpowered. To watch it lean back 30 degrees-ish and it just keeps sliding forward is a bit clench inducing. The turning circle is also horrifying to witness at top speed.

Also, a bit of a tip because it caught me one day, beware the wind. Yeah, when the wind warnings pop up they are normally some bullshit, but you can get enough wind travelling underneath it that it doesn't want to come down, and it won't throttle down enough to lose altitude. Sometimes you can circle downwards and get down that way, sometimes hide near a tall structure to shield you, but people have been known to lose them like that so keep it in mind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah “too much wind to descend” is a real thing and it’s scary to see. I’ve had it a couple times with mine. Usually descending while moving makes it a bit better, as it gets you into different air and you can descend a bit as the wind moves around.

I’ve never had mine straight up get stuck in the air, mind, but I could see it happening with a decent thermal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fly your routes forwards before you fly them backwards, kids!

https://youtu.be/TGEqRboBtFo

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I hope you're able to rebuild it!

To the guy wanting to skeet shoot, is there an RF jammer that could work? Those are probably also illegal but less dangerous

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

CloFan posted:

I hope you're able to rebuild it!

To the guy wanting to skeet shoot, is there an RF jammer that could work? Those are probably also illegal but less dangerous

That's probably even more illegal than shooting it out of the sky, tbh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Strictly speaking .22 long ought to cut it, you just have to aim at the fellow what's flying the drone. Please for the love of god do not do this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buy your own drone, make sure it's fully charged, when it shows up next week follow it home and go knock on their door and make a new friend

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What are FAA regulations about taping a pointy stick on your drone to air joust other drones? Would it be possible to make a sport out of this? Man, RobotWars with semi-autonomous quads would be fun to watch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Warbird posted:

What are FAA regulations about taping a pointy stick on your drone to air joust other drones? Would it be possible to make a sport out of this? Man, RobotWars with semi-autonomous quads would be fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69X23jI68c

Already a thing indoors!

They're built for super fast parts swaps and whatnot

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Bumble Dong posted:

It’s also perfectly legal to fly a drone. It’s illegal however to shoot down a drone. Maybe try TFR if you want a better response; you just did the equivalent of asking a pet owners group how to kill your neighbors German Shepard.

Yeah I can’t imagine TFR being at all into doing illegal things with guns either tbh.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Yeah I can’t imagine TFR being at all into doing illegal things with guns either tbh.

Not after the puckins guy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

buy your own drone, make sure it's fully charged, when it shows up next week follow it home and go knock on their door and make a new friend

This is actually the only correct post on this subject yet

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Please refrain from discussing how best to shoot people, animals, or things, here in our forum 210, and probably wise for the rest of the forums too.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jaded Burnout posted:

Please refrain from discussing how best to shoot people, animals, or things, here in our forum 210, and probably wise for the rest of the forums too.

Man, I was just typing up a post about how he could have a nuclear-powered rocket-propelled jammer system that hacks the drone's camera TX to trace back the operator. That way he could have the FAA, ATF, DOE, FCC, and NSA all after him at once!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Man, I was just typing up a post about how he could have a nuclear-powered rocket-propelled jammer system that hacks the drone's camera TX to trace back the operator. That way he could have the FAA, ATF, DOE, FCC, and NSA all after him at once!

I never said refrain from discussing how to be awesome. Just don't get the treasury involved.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Not to distract everyone from the utter moron trying to shoot other people's property, but this guy actually had a good question and nobody answered it:

Prefect Six posted:

So I've got an Air 2 pre-ordered. This will be my first drone. I'm a certificated private pilot working on my instrument and all I need to do to get my 107 is make time to get with a local DPE to sign me off (COVID has made that somewhat challenging).

I also live under delta airspace. Downloaded the DJI fly app and looks like I have to get an unlock every time I want to fly around my yard. This is a blue "Authorization" area. I'm not that far off the approach end of a runway and thus not far from a red "restricted" zone.

Is this going to be a giant pain in the rear end? Are unlocks in authorization zones hard to get? What about restricted zones? This is probably me being a little to proud of myself, but can I just photocopy my private certificate and send it to DJI to get some kind of permanent unlock?

Yes, if you are in a Delta surface area, you will need ATC authorization for every flight. Grab Kittyhawk and you can submit LAANC requests through there, and you don't have to actually follow up and fly if you're approved. I've also noticed many areas have different authorization levels available for Part 107 vs recreational flying (for example, the outer edges of a D area usually have increasing amount of ceiling available for Part 107 requests, but not for recreational requests).

I have flown in some areas that were marked restricted and either had written permission or LAANC authorization, and was able to just skip past the warning in the DJI software (Mavic Air or 2 Pro). I don't know if the Mavic Air 2 is different and won't fly at all, but I would imagine there's an override method somehow, since there's lots of scenarios where a flight should be legally possible.

And yes, it's a little smuggo to try and wave your PPL. :) Lots of drone ops have credentials, or (like me) some logged hours and extensive manned fixed-wing knowledge but not any actual certs. You're not that special :)

Although, the one thing I can think of where that might be helpful: if you're having trouble getting authorizations in a timely manner or whatever, get ahold of the airport manager, tell them you're a private pilot who wants to work out a standing authorization for UAS in a small area, and that might increase your chances of getting somewhere.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My mini is a real pain in the rear end. I live in a blue area according to the DJI map, and it demands boxes to be checked off, a text message code confirming authorization just to fly. Even just to test it out in my apartment.

If I'm in the zone that DJI marks red, then I need a code from what I assume is LAANC, otherwise i can't take off. And if I dare stray into the red zone it will try and force a landing and I have to leg it back to the blue. This nearly was the end of my mini as it wanted to land in the middle of a river.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that loving sucks, my OG mavic with really old firmware doesn't do any of that poo poo.

It'll tell me I shouldn't fly there, but only with a single warning box then I can do whatever

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I think I’m gonna put in a preorder for a Mavic Air 2. Been eyeing a drone for years and been waiting for them to reach the price point / quality / feature level they seem to be hitting with the MA2.
Kinda wish I knew what DJI had planned for the M3 because waiting for that is my only hesitation.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Rincey posted:

Yes, if you are in a Delta surface area, you will need ATC authorization for every flight. Grab Kittyhawk and you can submit LAANC requests through there, and you don't have to actually follow up and fly if you're approved. I've also noticed many areas have different authorization levels available for Part 107 vs recreational flying (for example, the outer edges of a D area usually have increasing amount of ceiling available for Part 107 requests, but not for recreational requests).

Thanks! One other question that has come up when looking through all this, if I want to use the drone for hobby and possibly some commercial stuff down the line, should I just register it under 107? Will that interfere with using it for hobby purposes in LAANC?

E: Also, I registered in Kittyhawk and tried to get authorization for a hobby flight in the class D surface area and it said that authorizations are not eligible over 0ft. Am I boned without contacting the tower for a written waiver? Maybe it’s because the tower is closed and it’s the middle of the night (is the software that smart?)?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 4, 2020

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, so now it's time to suggest building a medium-range (100s of meters) GPS spoofer under a class delta airspace near the approach end of an airport so you can fly your drone without its software complaining. Just keep replaying the data that says its 9/11/01 and you're in the Azores and you'll be fine. Of course, you're going to have to re-map your geo altitudes to match the local geoid or your thing will just fly to 0ft MSL, which I hear is a problem outside of Florida.

I think that's only FCC and FAA. But maybe the Air Force Space Command (Space Force now?) because it's GPS. And of course, USGS because you're messing with their WGS-84 geoid data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

probably the FBI too since if you're screwing with the GPS near an airport that's gonna affect interstate commerce