Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

2013 Trailer:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNefE89DZds

What is this?

Wonderful 101: Remastered is a 2020 re-release of the 2013 Character-Action game made by platinum games for the WiiU, directed by Hideki Kamiya. This exciting game has you leading playing as color-coded Sentai-Style Superheroes who lead a 100 person strong team of superheroes. Your mission is to defend the earth from an evil alien GETHJERK invasion.

How does it work?

Gameplay Video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCXboy6Ne1o

Wikipedia posted:

In The Wonderful 101, players control a horde of superheroes from an isometric viewpoint and can turn them into various objects called "Unite Morphs." As levels progress, players must explore each stage to find helpless citizens and recruit them to join their army of heroes. The more heroes gathered, the greater the special morph powers can be. At the cost of depleting their battery meter, players can use "Unite Morph" forms to defeat enemies, solve puzzles, or traverse the environment.

The meter can be recharged by performing normal attacks or by picking up batteries dropped by a defeated enemy. Enemies will also drop "O parts" (the in-game currency used to buy upgrades), new "Unite Morph" abilities and items. To transform the horde of heroes, the appropriate symbol is drawn on the Wii U GamePad's touchscreen or right analog stick, such as an “L” for a gun or a squiggly line for a whip. In specified areas, the GamePad (by default) is used to change the view to a traditional, third-person angle and better explore tighter environments, such as those found indoors and inside caves.

What makes this game unique?

Simply put, this is one of the best and most jam-packed titles Platinum has ever made, it has a genuinely awesome story, it has a unique gameplay system, it’s characters are extremely fun, well realized and endearing, and the escalation of events make this one of the hypest videogames I have ever played. Absolutely one of the best overall experiences of the last decade.

Featuring tons of special moves, bayonetta action, unlockables, items, stuff. This is easily Platinum at their top form.

It has incredible sense of direction, the boss battles are loving awesome, this game is great. It’s like playing incredible sentai Saturday morning cartoon!

Also it has an incredible soundtrack and has inspired tons of kick rear end remixes!

Wonderball 101 Tables-Turnover:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjR7JZbdONs

The Wonstoppable Wonderful 101:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvHKxnMv04k

Tables Turn:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

The main theme and tables turn will get a full orchestrial rendition in the remaster!

So Why haven’t I heard of it?

THIS IS WHY:-

1) It was stuck on the WiiU
2) It was not marketed
3) It’s one of the most disastrous sale numbers for a big videogame in history, it sold less than 30,000 copies, it was a disaster.
The game ended up becoming a cult hit and it’s reputation slowly spread in the years, leading to February 2020, where a kickstarter for a remaster was announced and blew the doors open!

THE KICKSTARTER

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/platinumgames/the-wonderful-101-remastered

Campaign Video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG2XUCTXKJ8

Kamiya Interview:-

https://youtu.be/MJ08UnPGF9w

Wikipedia posted:

“Platinum launched a Kickstarter in February 2020 to port the game in a remastered edition to the Switch and other platforms including personal computer and PlayStation 4 when stretch goals were met, with further stretch goals to add downloadable content to the game.[13][14] Hideki Kamiya and Atsushi Inaba said that they had approached Nintendo, the publisher and co-owner of copyright and solely owner of trademark, about republishing the game for a wider audience.

Nintendo only wanted to publish a new game if it was going to be exclusive to Nintendo Switch, while Platinum wanted the remaster to be on more platforms. Nintendo allowed them to do it, though they wouldn't publish the remaster. This gave Platinum the opportunity to try self-publishing. With the game nearly in a complete state for these new ports, they opted to use Kickstarter not only to judge how popular the game was, and thus mitigate the Kickstarter's stretch goals based on this, but also that there was still a necessary business element to self-publishing that the Kickstarter funds would help cover and deal with risks involved with publishing.[15]

Studio executive director Atsushi Inaba affirmed the Kickstarter was not about money for development but as a means to bring the community together and to make sure what additional content they could bring to the base game.[16] Among other cosmetic updates, Platinum had devised a way to take the two-screen approach that had been used on the Wii U version (including the picture-in-picture) into a version that will work on the single-screen platforms. Drawing features will still be incorporated in the Switch version.[17]

Within hours, the campaign had surpassed its goals for all three versions.[18][19] The campaign concluded with over US$2.25 million raised, achieving several of the stretch goals that included a separate 2D side-scrolling game based on the adventures of Luka.[20][21] A celebritory Twitch stream held by PlatinumGames on the Kickstarter's conclusion brought in additional donations that allowed a last stretch goal, orchestral arrangments of two of the game's songs, to be made as well.[22] Remastered is planned for release in North America on May 19, 2020, in Europe on May 22, 2020, and in Japan on June 11, 2020.[23]”

Sounds good! When is it coming out?

If you had backed the project on Kickstarter, the game will be delivered to you digitally and physically by late April, if you didn’t make the kickstarter, the official release date is May 19 2020 in the US, and May 22 2020 in Europe. It will be released for Switch, PS4 and PC.

LP’s and Gamer videos (may be spoilery)

Chip & Ironicus:-

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrekaHLD2rhYbLMMmVQ_5E_vLbKDYHnSB

Super Best Friends:-

https://youtu.be/8dj6SF7C-FM

Woolie Versus:-

https://youtu.be/vB2Bxuy2PZk

MatthewMatosis:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEb19dBGzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVgZ13DGaSw

So if you're new to the game, or have played through the WiiU game, or backed the game on Kickstarter, lets talk about it! I cant wait for this game to reach a much wider audience as it deserves this time!!

I cant wait to play this game again!

TEAM, UNITE UP!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Reserved for Screenshots and Reviews! Coming shortly!

Original 2013 Metascore:-

https://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-wonderful-101

Eurogamer 2013 review:-

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-18-the-wonderful-101-review

SCREENSHOTS:-

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You link LPs and neglect Chip and Ironicus'?

EDIT: \/ fair enough but their LPs attracted a lot of folks to this place in the past.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 3, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

You link LPs and neglect Chip and Ironicus'?

Lol sorry I dont watch them so let me find them and I'll link them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know why I didn't buy this the first time round despite owning a Wii U, loving Platinum and thinking it sounded really cool. Probably the same reason no other fucker bought it.

Have they confirmed that the drawing/formation stuff will be done with the analogue sticks? Because that just makes me think of the misery of drawing stuff in Okami.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Really want this, but need to see what kind of control implementations they have, they've been really silent on what that will be.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Really want this, but need to see what kind of control implementations they have, they've been really silent on what that will be.

I think the drawing controls will be similar to the way it was done originally if you selected the non drawing option which was to use the analog sticks, which was mostly fine.

The REAL worry I have is how they’ll get around those infuriating indoor tablet sections that forced you to use the gyro controls, I really hope they handle that well and also move the camera back a little in the main game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is one of my favorite games of all time and I can't wait to play it again. Got it on PS4 just so I could get my trophy game on.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I want the drawing option, just wondering if they've modernised it to be used one handed with a stylus like Pikmin 3, which would be ideal.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I want the drawing option, just wondering if they've modernised it to be used one handed with a stylus like Pikmin 3, which would be ideal.

I think the Switch version is the only one that has the finger-drawing option.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Kamiya Stream was a fun time to troll Kamiya.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I picked up the original release on sale for :20bux:, and it was easily my favorite game on the WiiU. I always got terrible scores in fights because I'd just make a bunch of hands and punch every enemy to death if it didn't need other weapons. I backed the kickstarter as soon as I found out, can't wait to play it on the perfect platform!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is the only Platinum Game I have ever wanted to play that I haven’t played yet. I am VERY excited about it!

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
drat I still have a Wii u guess there goes one more reason I shouldn't.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey Guys if any of you backed the kickstarter at the 'Kamiya Blocks you on Twitter' tier better get on it quick because Kamiya's about to start the great blocking soon:-

lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

update on the kickstarter backer situation was just posted:-

Due to the Corona situation, they will be delaying shipments of the game, however, as an apology all physical backers will receive a digital steam code!

big props to Platinum for this!!

Platinum Games posted:

Hey there all you Wonderful backers,

We hope you’re all taking care of yourselves in these difficult times. In this update, we want to address a few questions and concerns regarding game and reward delivery that have cropped up recently.

Physical Versions

Unfortunately, due to the effects of the COVID-19 epidemic, we’re expecting delays in preparing the US and EU physical versions. Backer rewards are being given the highest priority, but due to distribution issues, backers who have chosen physical versions of the game may receive it after general retail release. Our current estimate for the start of shipping rewards is late June. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

We know this is incredibly frustrating, and as a token of our apology for this, we will be providing all physical version backers with a Steam download code for The Wonderful 101: Remastered, so that they can play the game at the same time as backers who purchased the digital version.

Digital Versions

Codes for digital versions of The Wonderful 101: Remastered will go out to backers who pledged the corresponding tiers starting on May 7th. Due to the number of codes it may take some time for all backers to receive them, but we will work to get all digital tier backer codes out ahead of the retail release.
Physical Version Retail Release

Due to the effects of COVID-19 on production on distribution, the retail release date of The Wonderful 101: Remastered has been pushed back, to June 30th for the US version package release, and July 3rd for the EU version package release. While we are working to prioritize backer rewards, please bear in mind that the state of shipping and distribution in various areas may result in some backers getting their rewards after retail release. Again, we apologize for the unforeseen issues, and we are doing our best to get everyone the game as soon as possible.

We thank everyone for their patience in these unpredictable times, and hope you are all staying safe and healthy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I give platinum no props at all, backers will be receiving their copy after the general retail release. I don't need a steam code, so once again I have been hosed over by kickstarter. Never ever back a kickstarter, ever.

e: I don't mean to come across a dick about the pandemic, obviously it was going to gently caress up the shipping and is much more important than videogames. I'm just mad that I backed this game specifically to play it early and now I'm getting it late. I hate kickstarter, and I've really really learned my lesson this time. When they posted this, I said "I don't do kickstarter, but I'll make an exception for platinum". Guess the egg is on my face.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 30, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I give platinum no props at all, backers will be receiving their copy after the general retail release. I don't need a steam code, so once again I have been hosed over by kickstarter. Never ever back a kickstarter, ever.

There's a literal global pandemic, and the retail release has been pushed back too.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

stev posted:

There's a literal global pandemic, and the retail release has been pushed back too.

yep, it's a uniquely difficult situation. I'm fine with waiting a couple months, I'll clear up my backlog in the meantime, also now I get two copies of the game for PC and Switch!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm glad I backed this kickstarter and would do so again. I'm sure the steam version will run better than the switch port anyway.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm glad I backed this kickstarter and would do so again. I'm sure the steam version will run better than the switch port anyway.

Yeah I got the switch version for the portability and stuff but having a more permanent digital copy on steam works as well.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I visited my parents recently and was able to play my old copy on the Wii U. I have no idea how I beat this game the first time around :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That sucks.

I can't say I'm surprised though or even angry or anything. It'll come with time, and honestly I was kinda nervous anyway. I'm a at risk person so been cutting down on mail and as many trips out as I can so the idea of getting a package fulla stuff, while exciting, still has me concerned.

I can't play the steam version so feeling pretty glum there too- but I guess I could just give it to a friend maybe. I just find the part of 'getting it later than stores' a bit weird as you'd think backers would be first priority.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No difference for me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I backed the kickstarter so they would have extra funds to do more wonderful 101 stuff and that worked.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I would prefer to have a choice for what platform I get the code for rather than getting a Steam code that I have no use for.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Going to just play the game on Steam and leave my Switch copy in the shrink wrap I guess. Awesome for Platinum to do this but my heart goes out to the people without good PCs who are still out of luck.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That sucks.

I can't say I'm surprised though or even angry or anything. It'll come with time, and honestly I was kinda nervous anyway. I'm a at risk person so been cutting down on mail and as many trips out as I can so the idea of getting a package fulla stuff, while exciting, still has me concerned.

I can't play the steam version so feeling pretty glum there too- but I guess I could just give it to a friend maybe. I just find the part of 'getting it later than stores' a bit weird as you'd think backers would be first priority.

While I overall like Platinum's frankness on the situation it's weird and, let's face it dumb, to announce that the physical version will arrive later than the retail release and then later in the same post note that the retail release has been delayed as well- Making the statement mostly redundant. I say 'mostly', because I think it implies that even outside of both delays, shipping and processing backer copies might still be later than the region's retail release in some cases which sucks.

Also, the physical bonuses on higher tiers are not going to go out until later this year, this shipping is only for the backer copies. I would not be surprised if this if the physical goods get delayed too- Frankly whether or not the pandemic is happening in the first place. I never trust a KS project to be delivered timely, so it's basically impossible for me to be disappointed. So long as it is delivered, I ain't gonna complain, but I understand and respect those that would.

Thanks to this incident I now have an extra-extra Steam copy, as I got myself a physical release and my cousin a physical/digital, which the digital steam copy was for myself. If I somehow get a third copy I'm probably going to sell it on SAmart. If not well at least me and my cousin get two copies each!

Midjack posted:

I would prefer to have a choice for what platform I get the code for rather than getting a Steam code that I have no use for.

I imagine, unfortunately, that it comes down to cost. Requesting keys from Valve is probably tonnes easier than Sony or Nintendo. I'd imagine the delay in response was likely them figuring how best to soften the news, get legal outta the way, etc...

poo poo, I hope now my computer can actually run it. I can run Bayonetta/MGR:R/Transformers and to a certain extent Vanquish (not full 60fps). I use Linux/Proton and a cheap dual core/Nvidia that's years old so I'm not running the latest and greatest games. But most of Platinum's output works, so I should be good to actually boot up the game at least.

UnintelGen fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 30, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I backed for the digital/physical tier for a switch copy and a steam key.

Kind of hoping this means I can get a digital copy on two platforms. If not I'll have a second key to gift.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190400/The_Wonderful_101_Remastered/
Steam page is up.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mokinokaro posted:

I backed for the digital/physical tier for a switch copy and a steam key.

Kind of hoping this means I can get a digital copy on two platforms. If not I'll have a second key to gift.

as a cheapass PC non-backer, I will definitely be scoping out SA-Mart for keys

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I don't like in Platinum Games games where there enemy clearly telegraphs that they are going to attack, so I press the button, but it turns out I pressed it a little bit too soon so my dodge or roll is finished and I get hit before I can press it again. Then when I almost get used to it, there's an orange version of the same enemy and it happens all over again. Then there's the first enemy again but there's three of them at once and I almost got used to it for the orange enemy so I'm pressing the button too soon and getting tripple punished.
If I do manage to beat the game, it turns out that now the real game starts which is grinding the entire game again to get better grades on my report card.

Wonderful 101 was really neat and colorful. I'm gonna get it eventually on PC for sure.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya hyped for this, Platinum make really fun games for the most part and a lot of people who have similar tastes to me recommend this to me but I never had a wii u. Going to get it on PC, hopefully the controls are good.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So am I reading it wrong? We will get digital keys end of next week?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

So am I reading it wrong? We will get digital keys end of next week?

They'll start being sent out on the 9th but it might take a while to get them to all backers.

That also doesn't mean they'll work before the 19th.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

That's cool, geoblocking store pages in 2020.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

They'll start being sent out on the 9th but it might take a while to get them to all backers.

That also doesn't mean they'll work before the 19th.

Ah good point. Thanks just wanted to ask before I got my hopes up that next week was going to be a Wonderful weekend. :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ErrEff posted:

That's cool, geoblocking store pages in 2020.
Blocked in several countries. Trollkami gets the last laugh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Steam trailer has Japanese voices; will the English voice work be in this remaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Hwurmp posted:

The Steam trailer has Japanese voices; will the English voice work be in this remaster?

There's both an English and Japanese release trailer- For some reason P* is just using the Japanese one on the Steam page.

It's got the English VO, says so on the store page as well.