Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One of my coworkers wears his Apple Watch in a massive, Otterbox-style case. It's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta protect that investment!

That is worthless in five years, probably less.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gotta protect my sapphire screen from any diamond particles in my walls

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your left arm might be converted to hamburger, but at least your watch won’t get scratched.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I might have gotten a tiny nick on my screen since my quartz kitchen countertops are like the exact same height as my wrists and I always manage to accidentally smash the watch into them. I could probably just buff it out though. It seems pretty strong.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

withak posted:

One of my coworkers wears his Apple Watch in a massive, Otterbox-style case. It's hilarious.

At the same time I ordered my watch I ordered one of those cases. Took about 1/2 a second for me to put it on and then throw it in the trash.

The Apple Watch is designed to be worn naked. I’ve never damaged a regular watch, and I don’t see myself damaging this one either.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow. Pretty over the top reaction to a simple question.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Screen protector recommendations, or are they all the same? I got a pack of 6 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCNHYGW/

First couple lasted a few months til they started bubbling up and peeling, but the last 3 or so have only lasted a week or two. I’m sure working out and running a lot doesn’t help much, but was just curious if there was a goon recommended one.

I have the IQ shield one and it’s OK. Looks good and feels fine. Only downside is that it doesn’t fit the entire watch and you’ll probably have to change it out every few months as they kind of wear out.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Red_Fred posted:

Wow. Pretty over the top reaction to a simple question.

Have you ever actually damaged a watch before? There’s nothing inherently more delicate with the Apple Watch. You can put it in “water” mode for the elements.

And the truth is the Apple Watch is relatively disposable when it comes to watches. The battery is going to go to poo poo. You’re looking at like five years of use.

Do your own thing, protect it if you really can’t handle a possible scratch on a watch you’ll wear for a handful of years. But when it comes down to it, they are relatively cheap in the world of watches and they don’t last as long as proper non-tech watches.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It really was an over the top reaction. I nicked the poo poo out of my series 1 because I'm pretty active and would have my watch on all the time while either outdoors, doing housework, or working out. I knew intermediately with my S5 that I should get a screen protector and bought one of those random 6 packs on amazon.

The ones I got don't seem to bee cut to the perfect shape but you really can't see it when it's applied. I feel like I notice the edges of it when I tap the watch way more than I ever would a phone shield.

But I've hosed up two of them already with kettlebells and I'm pretty drat happy I did it to the $10 plastic and not the watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Red_Fred posted:

Only downside is that it doesn’t fit the entire watch and you’ll probably have to change it out every few months as they kind of wear out.

These are not the signs of a good product.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

These are not the signs of a good product.

Nah dogg, they’re consumables. Like tires or diapers.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Screen protector recommendations, or are they all the same? I got a pack of 6 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCNHYGW/

First couple lasted a few months til they started bubbling up and peeling, but the last 3 or so have only lasted a week or two. I’m sure working out and running a lot doesn’t help much, but was just curious if there was a goon recommended one.

I have that one, seems ok. I bought it because I was not used to wearing a watch and figured I'd accidentally smack it against things all the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

I change my screen protector every point update whether it needs it or not.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve definitely damaged a regular watch by banging it into something. I also do worry about dropping my watch onto the tile in our bathroom when I’m taking it off to shower. Don’t think a screen protector would help much in either case.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I change my screen protector every point update whether it needs it or not.

This is insane. Imagine how much waste you’re generating

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is insane. Imagine how much waste you’re generating

For real. Look, if you have a screen protector on your Apple Watch all you have to do is roll it back and clean underneath it when you take a shower.

Do that regularly and you won’t have any problems when you go on a date.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had my AW for nearly a year now and I think the only damage is a slight nick in the aluminum casing (because I'm a cheap rear end and bought the base model.)

Screen looks fine. I mean if you've got the money to waste on screen protectors and cases, go for it, I guess. Only delays the inevitable IMO.

You want to see a watch that scratches easily, I've got a few Vostoks with acrylic crystals. That poo poo will scratch if you look at it funny. My AW is extremely durable in comparison.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ok Comboomer posted:

This guy gets it. You aren’t going to hand your Apple Watch down to kids like you would an actual quality timepiece.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

This guy gets it. You aren’t going to hand your Apple Watch down to kids like you would an actual quality timepiece.

I was talking about screen protectors and making fun of this dude’s comment:

Red_Fred posted:

I have the IQ shield one and it’s OK. Looks good and feels fine. Only downside is that it doesn’t fit the entire watch and you’ll probably have to change it out every few months as they kind of wear out.

But yeah, nobody should be holding onto their Series 3 like it’s a vintage Rolex. Although I actually tend to baby my tech poo poo and not physically damage it as much/quickly as most other people I know. Like out of everyone I know I’m probably the most likely to ever be in a position to have poo poo worthy of handing down, even when it’s old.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

phosdex posted:

I have that one, seems ok. I bought it because I was not used to wearing a watch and figured I'd accidentally smack it against things all the time.

I run, lift weights, and play hockey all with my watch. When not in quarantine, of course. Also I wear it on my right arm and being right-handed, I bang the poo poo out of it on walls and other stuff all the time. My watch gets beat up like crazy. I don't care about nicks and stuff to the case, but scratches on the screen are annoying.

When I saw 20 posts in this thread, I knew I set some people off about screen protectors :lol:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I wear it on my right arm and being right-handed,

This is the craziest post in the thread so far.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This is the craziest post in the thread so far.

Agreed.

I don't know why, I've always worn it this way. Watches on my left hand just feel weird as hell. I'll try ever so often, but can't last more than a day with it on my left.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agreed.

I don't know why, I've always worn it this way. Watches on my left hand just feel weird as hell. I'll try ever so often, but can't last more than a day with it on my left.

I'm mostly left-handed and wear it on my left. So I sympathize.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was talking about screen protectors and making fun of this dude’s comment:

But yeah, nobody should be holding onto their Series 3 like it’s a vintage Rolex. Although I actually tend to baby my tech poo poo and not physically damage it as much/quickly as most other people I know. Like out of everyone I know I’m probably the most likely to ever be in a position to have poo poo worthy of handing down, even when it’s old.

Who said anyone thought of an AW like a Rolex? Cool projection.

Also lol at worrying about the waste of screen protectors and then talking about swapping out your AW every year.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Same. Taught myself to do a lot of things mostly right-handed though, the left-handedness only applies to writing these days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Also lol at worrying about the waste of screen protectors and then talking about swapping out your AW every year.

I didn’t, but pot/kettle on the projection there champ?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Red_Fred posted:

I’m pretty sure the person talking about changing screen protectors every x.y.z watchOS version bump was joking.

I’m left handed and wear it on my left as well. I think I started doing this cause I never had a watch before the AW0 and felt self conscious about wearing the AW cause 1) never had a watch and 2) AWs weren’t common and I didn’t wanna stand out. I saw everyone wear it on their left so I just copied.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I rotate my screen protectors as part of my scheduled phone/watch maintenance cycle.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

withak posted:

I rotate my screen protectors as part of my scheduled phone/watch maintenance cycle.

I rotate which wrist I wear it on, and which side is it faces as well. Get on my level.

Ain’t nobody got a shinier disposable watch than I do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fly Ricky posted:

I rotate which wrist I wear it on, and which side is it faces as well. Get on my level.

Ain’t nobody got a shinier disposable watch than I do.

Why not just get 4 watches so you can put 2 on each wrist in both orientations, that way you don't need to spend precious time on rotating or orientating the watch. Think of how productive you could be without having to do that.

Serious post, I need an app that can keep track of multiple timers, not necessarily at the same time. For example I'd like to set Activity1 with 30minutes and Activity2 with 15minutes, and on the watch it should be easy (1ish taps) to activate Activity1 and have it count down and so on. Is there an app for that?

(Please don't say Timer because I need to keep track of multiple.)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I used to wear my watch on my left-hand as a left hander because I hated using a mouse with my watch on. Now that I exclusively use a trackpad, I'm glad I can wear it on my right wrist.

I'm also in the "Wear your watch without a screen protector, get Applecare+, and if in 2 years your display is dinged to hell and you want a new one, just go swap it out for $69" camp. I definitely wish there were more arm bands for the Series 5 - even with a screen protector, I don't trust myself to not destroy it when I'm swinging a kettlebell around.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 6, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So I have a weird rear end question.

I have a series 1 aluminum Apple Watch that got the swollen battery issue. Of course, Apple wouldn't repair it, god forbid. I have a series 5 SS now, but I want to give this watch to a friend.

Well I reglued it with Gorilla Glue, and it seems stable but the watch computer itself seems super hosed up. I got the red/green snake of death, and now when I click the wheel, it makes what sounds like morse code (little beeps) and then says something insanely weird in mandarin. Is my old watch hosed?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Taima posted:

So I have a weird rear end question.

I have a series 1 aluminum Apple Watch that got the swollen battery issue. Of course, Apple wouldn't repair it, god forbid. I have a series 5 SS now, but I want to give this watch to a friend.

Well I reglued it with Gorilla Glue, and it seems stable but the watch computer itself seems super hosed up. I got the red/green snake of death, and now when I click the wheel, it makes what sounds like morse code (little beeps) and then says something insanely weird in mandarin. Is my old watch hosed?

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, but what do you think? Of course it's hosed. Why would you give a watch with a swollen battery to a friend, anyway? Do you want them to get burned/maimed/killed by a swollen battery?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, but what do you think? Of course it's hosed. Why would you give a watch with a swollen battery to a friend, anyway? Do you want them to get burned/maimed/killed by a swollen battery?

At least it will self-cauterize when it blows the friend's hand off their wrist.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Please post sources of this happening. I'm not mad or have any problem with you thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat but your assertions demand sources.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

And I'm talking about injuries not the watch face becoming swollen due to the battery and expanding outwards/ popping off, which is what a lot of people count as "exploding"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Taima posted:

And I'm talking about injuries not the watch face becoming swollen due to the battery and expanding outwards/ popping off, which is what a lot of people count as "exploding"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=exploding+cell+phone+battery

Those are cell phone batteries. While a watch battery is smaller, just imagine this poo poo happening right on top of your wrist.

A bad lithium ion battery is nothing to gently caress with.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Get real dude I'm talking about apple watches (you know the thing we're talking about) exploding and hurting people. I'll literally accept 1-2 sources of that happening.

quote:

While a watch battery is smaller, just imagine this poo poo happening right on top of your wrist.

I can imagine it just fine but until someone provides a source it's just the worst kind of unsupported tripe. A watch battery is much smaller and therefore different than a phone battery.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

Please post sources of this happening. I'm not mad or have any problem with you thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat but your assertions demand sources.

I'm being hyperbolic. However when the battery starts swelling that means it's starting to fail. It's only a matter of time until the thin foil that keeps everything together tears and when that happens you get a violent exothermic reaction. Just because you glued down the case isn't going to stop the expansion.

Do I have any evidence of it happening *specifically* to Apple watches? No.

Is there surfeit of evidence of lithium battery swelling leading to explosions and/or fire in general? Hell yes.

If the battery is swelling, you need to get the battery/device disposed of in a responsible manner. I'm pretty sure watch battery replacements are $49, but you have to ask if a S1 watch is really worth trying to keep going.

And no, I'm not going to spend a Saturday hunting down articles and videos (you can google "lithium battery fire" if you're curious). After years of reports and videos about phone, laptop, and vape pen battery fires/explosions I'd say this falls under common knowledge at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Taima posted:

Get real dude I'm talking about apple watches (you know the thing we're talking about) exploding and hurting people. I'll literally accept 1-2 sources of that happening.

I can imagine it just fine but until someone provides a source it's just the worst kind of unsupported tripe. A watch battery is much smaller and therefore different than a phone battery.

Lithium ion batteries exploding are no goddamn joke. While it might not be the video you see of some jackass with an unregulated 30 amp vape rig exploding in his pocket, even the small Apple Watch batter can be a pretty serious burn. If it's swelling then it's at some point going to explode.