Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks duckman, last question i think.

When i select plans on my current devices its telling me $40/line but when i lookup the plan its $30 for 5+ devices. Is that just because i havent signed up for auto pay yet and when i do it will drop $10/line - $60 total?

Keystoned fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Thanks duckman, last question i think.

When i select plans on my current devices its telling me $40/line but when i lookup the plan its $30 for 5+ devices. Is that just because i havent signed up for auto pay yet and when i do it will drop $10/line - $60 total?

Correct, discount won’t show until you setup autopay with checking account.

If possible, setup auto pay before plan change , it may grab the discount faster (especially if back dating plan).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kitten posted:

I've gotten a text already for 5/1 to 5/31 extending mine.

Yeah that's what prompted my question. They apparently just found 15 more gigs for everyone tucked in a dusty corner somewhere

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Yeah that's what prompted my question. They apparently just found 15 more gigs for everyone tucked in a dusty corner somewhere

In the back office on the 3rd floor actually.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Len posted:

Yeah but you know the basic bills have to stay high because Bandwidth Is Expensive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got an additional 15 GB of tethering to my unlimited plan. Pretty amazing they were able to find a way to let me use more of my unlimited data!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I got an additional 15 GB of tethering to my unlimited plan. Pretty amazing they were able to find a way to let me use more of my unlimited data!

Is that supposed to show in your account somewhere? My "Get More" line still shows the same 75GB on-device and 30GB tethering allowances.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is that supposed to show in your account somewhere? My "Get More" line still shows the same 75GB on-device and 30GB tethering allowances.

It was an “emergency provision” so you won’t actually see it. Yes, I know that’s pretty dumb.

I don’t know if it adds to the 75GB premium data (I assume you are on Get More), but it would give you 45GB tethering. Goes until May 31st.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

So uh, my Pixel 4XL did a strange thing where it showed -1% battery. I restarted it and now it will not go above 50% battery even if I charge it wirelessly for an extended period or time or plugged in. Guessing I need to take it in and have someone look at it?

No battery optimizing apps or any of that installed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

So uh, my Pixel 4XL did a strange thing where it showed -1% battery. I restarted it and now it will not go above 50% battery even if I charge it wirelessly for an extended period or time or plugged in. Guessing I need to take it in and have someone look at it?

Well, with Covid you can’t take it in, stores that are open will only look at critical. If it turns on, and functions , it unfortunately isn’t critical.

That said, dial 611 and say “tech coach,” to get to tech support. They’ll probably run whatever test over the phone. Likely they’ll just mail a replacement (same thing the store would usually do) since it’s under a one year warranty.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

kensei posted:

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try a factory reset first, because they will probably ask you to do that anyway.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anytime you get a gently caress up like that on a phone its a piece of hardware failing. Do not kid your self.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

kensei posted:

Ugh, sorry Kensei, sounds like the battery shenanigans we had on the wife’s Nexus 5 and my 6P. Hope you have a better outcome than we did.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hey duck man, I’m on the (old) New Verizon Plan Unlimited, from when they first brought unlimited back, with 3 smartphone lines. My wife is a teacher, but it looks like this plan is not eligible for the new teacher discount. Is that correct? Are the gaggle of more recent unlimited plans cheaper or more expensive? Do they adjust my throttle caps or something in a way that’s unfavorable, or are there any other unadvertised downsides? Also does this teachers discount stack with the auto pay discount?

Thanks

Right now my plan is $110 (-$10 for auto pay) + $20 +$20 +$20 for $160 total. It says that the top “get more” plan is $56.66 per line (I hate this formatting) which is actually more expensive, and I’m guessing they are loving with my video streaming or throttle caps or something on top of that. The “do more” plan is a little cheaper but I’m not sure what I’m giving up for that.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 6, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

Hey duck man, I’m on the (old) New Verizon Plan Unlimited, from when they first brought unlimited back, with 3 smartphone lines. My wife is a teacher, but it looks like this plan is not eligible for the new teacher discount. Is that correct? Are the gaggle of more recent unlimited plans cheaper or more expensive? Do they adjust my throttle caps or something in a way that’s unfavorable, or are there any other unadvertised downsides? Also does this teachers discount stack with the auto pay discount?

Thanks

Just checked, only the new plans qualify. Here's the break down:

Your plan:
$110 + $20 * 3 = $170. $160 with autopay

Play unlimited is the same exact data as your unlimited:
$65 * 3 = $195 .
w/ autopay it is $55 * 3 = $165

Teacher discount for 3 lines is $25 off (total, not each). So basically, if you don't do autopay stay where you are at. if you are cool with autopay (with debit/checking, not credit card), go to play more with the discount.

i would add the discount either way just so its there. go to
vzw.com/teachers

it'll prompt to verify via ID.me , it'll ask for her teacher certificate.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
My sister bought a phone yesterday and almost instantly cracked the camera because she's a loving moron. She tried taking it back to the store today and they told her it was going to be a $250 restocking fee. Is this right? Verizon lists a $35 restocking fee on their website but I can't find any evidence of a $250 fee for anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

My sister bought a phone yesterday and almost instantly cracked the camera because she's a loving moron. She tried taking it back to the store today and they told her it was going to be a $250 restocking fee. Is this right? Verizon lists a $35 restocking fee on their website but I can't find any evidence of a $250 fee for anything.

It's damaged so they're charging a repair fee. If she has insurance on it she can send it to Asurion to get repair for $30, then return it (current restock fee is $50). Return policy is temporarily 30 days, so if she can get it repaired that is optimal (and i guess maybe just keep it if she wanted it anyway ?).

If she doesn't have insurance on it, that sucks, but that's rolling the dice. I don't have insurance myself, long term its def a higher payout, but yeah, its a risk for the first few months.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Well things got weirder. My sister wasn't actually authorized to buy the phone and the associate forced the transaction through without seeing if she was a manager on the annoying. . In the end we essentially got the phone for free as they're crediting the remaining cost of the phone to the line.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm currently using an iPhone 11 Pro and might wanna jump back to my Galaxy S10+ for a while. I can't just take the SIM out and throw it in the old phone and have it go, correct? Both phones currently have SIMs in them anyway. Is following the My Verizon app pretty painless? Enter in the SIM ID numbers or whatever and my phone number and stuff just shows up on the old phone? How long does it take to "switch" over? Can I jump back and forth every week like a crazy person?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Does the next bill estimate usually show device credits? I’m on payment like 8 of 24 and it’s showing my next bill without the credit. Not sure if it was always that way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

I'm currently using an iPhone 11 Pro and might wanna jump back to my Galaxy S10+ for a while. I can't just take the SIM out and throw it in the old phone and have it go, correct? Both phones currently have SIMs in them anyway. Is following the My Verizon app pretty painless? Enter in the SIM ID numbers or whatever and my phone number and stuff just shows up on the old phone? How long does it take to "switch" over? Can I jump back and forth every week like a crazy person?

Just swap the SIM , the system will auto provision what you have. What’s more important going Apple to Samsung is go into your iPhone settings and sign out of iMessage and FaceTime before you swap your SIM, or else you risk missing iPhone to “iPhone” text messages. Other than that concern, you can always swap a SIM no problem.

Fcdts26 posted:

Does the next bill estimate usually show device credits? I’m on payment like 8 of 24 and it’s showing my next bill without the credit. Not sure if it was always that way.

Next bill estimates have been wonky for forever. What is more important is the question : have you already been getting your bill credits ? If so, then you’re fine.

Since I’m here, fun fact, as I think I’ve posted my store has been closed since mid March, and I was “re deployed” as work at home customer service. I have now been doing that for 2 weeks , and yeah, it is weird how it is both the safe and yet totally different.

Unsurprisingly , a majority of my calls are just people getting impacted my Covid 19, so it can be at times depressing , but I’ve just been focusing on trying to make the system work for said customers as much as possible , it honestly has been rewarding to help people work through whatever bill issues and get a nice thank you at the end.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Duckman2008 posted:

Just swap the SIM , the system will auto provision what you have. What’s more important going Apple to Samsung is go into your iPhone settings and sign out of iMessage and FaceTime before you swap your SIM, or else you risk missing iPhone to “iPhone” text messages. Other than that concern, you can always swap a SIM no problem.

Oh, neat, I had no idea that works. Thanks!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Since I’m here, fun fact, as I think I’ve posted my store has been closed since mid March, and I was “re deployed” as work at home customer service. I have now been doing that for 2 weeks , and yeah, it is weird how it is both the safe and yet totally different.

Unsurprisingly , a majority of my calls are just people getting impacted my Covid 19, so it can be at times depressing , but I’ve just been focusing on trying to make the system work for said customers as much as possible , it honestly has been rewarding to help people work through whatever bill issues and get a nice thank you at the end.

I was curious what they had done with Verizon retail employees. I was speaking with a regional T-Mobile store manager and I had no idea the employees were still in store.

I am not with Verizon but Apple and I have been pulled to quality control for voice support aka AppleCare since the retail employees are on the phones now and Jesus it's not pretty. Standard Applecare has always been WFH for direct hires and I believe most of the contracting vendors were WFH as well so Apple was prepared but the call volume is nuts since everyone is home now. Thankfully retail is slowly starting to open since customers freaked at the only repair options being mail on or Express replacement where they had to foot the bill for a full device until they sent their non working device back.

I'm curious how Verizon handles the whole insurance stuff. I imagine it's customers not understanding or listening but so many times customers are buzzing mad because they have no idea what their Apple ID or password is and they can't turn off Find my to start their insurance claim.

I will agree that when I have to get directly on the phone with a customer to keep my voice support skills back it's fun to help customers out..old people are my specialty and I will spend an hour talking with them to figure out their issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I was curious what they had done with Verizon retail employees. I was speaking with a regional T-Mobile store manager and I had no idea the employees were still in store.

I am not with Verizon but Apple and I have been pulled to quality control for voice support aka AppleCare since the retail employees are on the phones now and Jesus it's not pretty. Standard Applecare has always been WFH for direct hires and I believe most of the contracting vendors were WFH as well so Apple was prepared but the call volume is nuts since everyone is home now. Thankfully retail is slowly starting to open since customers freaked at the only repair options being mail on or Express replacement where they had to foot the bill for a full device until they sent their non working device back.

I'm curious how Verizon handles the whole insurance stuff. I imagine it's customers not understanding or listening but so many times customers are buzzing mad because they have no idea what their Apple ID or password is and they can't turn off Find my to start their insurance claim.

I will agree that when I have to get directly on the phone with a customer to keep my voice support skills back it's fun to help customers out..old people are my specialty and I will spend an hour talking with them to figure out their issues.

Well, insurance is mostly processed by Asurion, Verizon just handles extended warranty. And overall, any "i don't know my Apple password," after general trouble shooting we have to refer them to Apple anyway.

Its weird, our call volume is up and down, i usually have 3-8 mins between calls. Except for Mondays. Mondays are non stop and I dread them.

That's great to hear Apple gave you something to do at home, anything to keep pay coming in and keep people busy is overall good.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

DangerZoneDelux posted:

So wait a second. I totally understand Asurion wanting to salvage a damaged phone to make back some of their insurance payment.

If I damage my phone beyond repair, or the screen is damaged enough, then I won't be able to remove the activation lock Are they denying claims when you can't remove the activation lock? Even if the damage would prevent you from doing so?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't work for them but from my understanding you can't even file the claim unless activation lock is removed

Edit:of course Apple does the same but you can remove it from iCloud.com/find the problem is when people don't have a single clue what their Apple ID or are not using 2factor security on the Apple ID

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 15, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

So wait a second. I totally understand Asurion wanting to salvage a damaged phone to make back some of their insurance payment.

If I damage my phone beyond repair, or the screen is damaged enough, then I won't be able to remove the activation lock Are they denying claims when you can't remove the activation lock? Even if the damage would prevent you from doing so?

Asurion allows you to file the claim , but you have to remove activation lock before sending it in. If it’s damaged, you call Apple, and they do whatever they have to do to help you remove the lock.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I just switched to start unlimited. When i look at my data hub it shows unlimited but also says 0/4 gb used on my line. Is the 4gb when I may get throttled? I thought it was 25 gb on that plan.

I have 6 lines. Is the 25gb an account limit or per line?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

I just switched to start unlimited. When i look at my data hub it shows unlimited but also says 0/4 gb used on my line. Is the 4gb when I may get throttled? I thought it was 25 gb on that plan.

I have 6 lines. Is the 25gb an account limit or per line?

Uh....start unlimited doesn’t get priority/premium data. If you’re on a congested tower (which right now is potentially uncommon depending on where In the country you live) you will get slowed down.

To get the 25GB of premium, that line has to go to Play/Do, which is $10 more a month. It is per line that has said plan, not shared.

Start unlimited also does not have mobile hotspot, although with the 15GB emergency data Verizon gave everyone for May they temporarily have it this month.

Not sure what the 4Gb thing is to be honest. Might be a glitch if you just switched from an old plan

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I recently moved in to a new house and the service sucks. If I call Verizon, will they offer me a free or cheap in-home cell to improve service?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DEUSFORORUM posted:

I recently moved in to a new house and the service sucks. If I call Verizon, will they offer me a free or cheap in-home cell to improve service?

You can call and ask, sometimes they'll discount it, sometimes they won't. You will def have to ask for a supervisor. Please be polite about it.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
The Verizon Wireless Megathread

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
I have a interesting dilema, don't know if it's something that I can do. I'll be moving soon, and want to get a new local number. But I'd also like to port out my current number to Google Voice or something similar to keep it, but from what I understand, when you port out a number, it cancels the account. Is there a way to do this without closing the account? I currently have 6 lines on my account, not sure if we'd do it on all 6, but would definetly want it on my wife's line as she thinks it will help having a local number with her job search in the new area.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

I have a interesting dilema, don't know if it's something that I can do. I'll be moving soon, and want to get a new local number. But I'd also like to port out my current number to Google Voice or something similar to keep it, but from what I understand, when you port out a number, it cancels the account. Is there a way to do this without closing the account? I currently have 6 lines on my account, not sure if we'd do it on all 6, but would definetly want it on my wife's line as she thinks it will help having a local number with her job search in the new area.

Only disclaimer : google voice won't work with iMessage. i use google voice and that doesn't bother me. Also, google voice sucks for video messages. otherwise works fine.

Retention should be able to re construct the line with a new number, call them at 800-392-0717

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

Only disclaimer : google voice won't work with iMessage. i use google voice and that doesn't bother me. Also, google voice sucks for video messages. otherwise works fine.

Retention should be able to re construct the line with a new number, call them at 800-392-0717

thanks! IMessage and video messages arn't really an issue, but is there somewhere free or cheap(<$5/mo) that would be better to transfer the number to that it better with those features if she latter needs them?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

thanks! IMessage and video messages arn't really an issue, but is there somewhere free or cheap(<$5/mo) that would be better to transfer the number to that it better with those features if she latter needs them?

iMessage likely only works with carrier based numbers. I've had great luck with google voice, so its probably your best option.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I just picked up the LG V60 and submitted all the info for the free dual screen case to LG. I received an email saying it was confirmed and that they would let me know when it shipped. That was about a week ago and from what I'm reading TMobile and AT&T customers are receiving theirs within a week while most Verizon customers are at 3+weeks. Any insights?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’ll see if there’s anything on the info page, but honestly I probably won’t have any insight on that on, sorry.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
My wife and I are looking to update our phones (Galaxy S7 for me, iPhone something for her, same gen as mine.) My daughter is getting to the age for her to get a phone. Is it possible/worth doing to update our phones (keeping the same numbers) while giving her my wife's old iPhone with a new number? We currently have the shared 8 GB plan with a state discount. We could be persuaded to switch to unlimited, I guess, if there was some major reason to. Thanks for any help/advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Liberator_44 posted:

My wife and I are looking to update our phones (Galaxy S7 for me, iPhone something for her, same gen as mine.) My daughter is getting to the age for her to get a phone. Is it possible/worth doing to update our phones (keeping the same numbers) while giving her my wife's old iPhone with a new number? We currently have the shared 8 GB plan with a state discount. We could be persuaded to switch to unlimited, I guess, if there was some major reason to. Thanks for any help/advice!

Ok, this is fun because there can be multiple options. let's start with plans:

8GB: $70 for 8GB, probably $58 after discount.

$20 a line, $20 * 3 = $60. + $58 = $118 . assuming your kid doesn't crush your data plan.

Unlimited: with autopay with checking account. $10 more a month per line
Start: $45 * 3 = $135
Play: $55 * 3 = $165

these are mix and match, so 2 can have play, one start, etc.

if you are military, first responder, nurse or teacher, you can get $20 off (account, not per line)

i need more info, what phones are you two wanting ?