Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Goober Peas posted:

Swiffers are mystical things. It's amazing how you can run a high-end, well performing vacuum and still pick up enough swiffering afterwards.

Seriously and they are the best thing for ceiling fan dust buildup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Galler posted:

They're for satellite internet but due to the volume of them and having them in a much lower orbit than traditional satellite internet the speed, latency, and capacity is supposed to be much better than existing satellite internet.

Thank you, that's pretty cool!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Galler posted:

They're for satellite internet but due to the volume of them and having them in a much lower orbit than traditional satellite internet the speed, latency, and capacity is supposed to be much better than existing satellite internet.

Its gonna be a poo poo show, as he started launching tons of these things and basically messing up a lot of ground based astronomy, as well as the possibility it'll never be as economical as Musk has been selling.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm very torn on that. On one hand I hope he succeeds so I don't have to build myself an ISP when I move, on the other I hope he fails so I can build myself an ISP and sell service to about 120-150 of my nearby townfolk and never commute or have a boss again.

There isn't jack poo poo for internet out there aside from 1 bar of LTE and satellite, and I'll be damned if I'm paying money for those options.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm very torn on that. On one hand I hope he succeeds so I don't have to build myself an ISP when I move, on the other I hope he fails so I can build myself an ISP and sell service to about 120-150 of my nearby townfolk and never commute or have a boss again.

There isn't jack poo poo for internet out there aside from 1 bar of LTE and satellite, and I'll be damned if I'm paying money for those options.

Look into your heart and remember who is selling this.

The same guy who just trashed his own companies stock and then said he's selling all his belongings. At this point I think he's in 2nd place to be the next McAfee.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Look into your heart and remember who is selling this.

Yeaaaaah as much as people want to take big oozy poo poo on a guy who IS a terrible person or spew more C-Spam style rot the problem is that there's a track record of delivery.

Late, but delivered. Usually when he puts competent manager(s) to carry out what appears to be idiot ideas. Starlink might not be exactly like Musk blurts out but at this point I'm not betting against SpaceX on this one.

quote:

The same guy who just trashed his own companies stock and then said he's selling all his belongings

Oh so did uncle Elon say some poo poo on a platform he is noted to say poo poo on - and said platform should be blocked at the router anyway?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I honestly hope he sells a billion Teslas because I want more idiots crashing them into things and the hulks flooding copart so I can Tesla-ify every ICE powered jalopy I own. I mean the Justy will likely get Leaf guts instead due to size but a Tesla powered Roadmaster and Honcho sound like a party to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

I honestly hope he sells a billion Teslas because I want more idiots crashing them into things and the hulks flooding copart so I can Tesla-ify every ICE powered jalopy I own. I mean the Justy will likely get Leaf guts instead due to size but a Tesla powered Roadmaster and Honcho sound like a party to me.

I completely endorse this message

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Late, but delivered. Usually when he puts competent manager(s) to carry out what appears to be idiot ideas. Starlink might not be exactly like Musk blurts out but at this point I'm not betting against SpaceX on this one.

Oh so did uncle Elon say some poo poo on a platform he is noted to say poo poo on - and said platform should be blocked at the router anyway?

I'm not betting against SpaceX, I'm betting against the Apartheid benefactor and his racist brother that's on his Board.

SpaceX is doing fine, even if Musk might be using SpaceX funds to keep Tesla afloat.

And its not like Musk delivers on everything: There's his recent spat with "ventilators" that turned out to be re-branded CPAP machines, there's the Tesla Roofing stuff which has largely fallen apart, there's his spat with the Cave rescue.

Musk is trash. Tesla has cool products but honestly Musk is probably part of what is holding them back because he'd rather people pad his ego than actually get engineering done. Hell, SpaceX is probably doing well because the actual engineering decisions are kept at arms length from Elon unlike Tesla where so many Engineering leads and C suite execs have jumped ship that its got a higher turnover rate than some Call Centers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I completely endorse this message

I do too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
May so far?
Two words: "murder hornets."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today we bought a paint sprayer and why the gently caress didn't I do this a year ago.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

May so far?

Yep, I saw that too. Can someone please tell the writers for this simulation to cool it, if you throw too much at your test subjects all at once they get fatigued and stop caring.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Giant Hornets are literally my nightmare. Like I've had nightmares about them buzzing around my head and crawling into my ears to sting my brain. gently caress the whole hymenoptera order, I am terrified of the fuckers

I'm already un-furloughed and haven't gotten a single unemployment check. I wanted to get at least a month of welfare queening going, but I think I'm going to ask about a promotion from laborer/apprentice to full apprentice when I get back tomorrow morning. This was supposed to be a temporary job while I waited for my welding degree, but school has been indefinitely postponed, so I want to do more than just bitch work. Or more likely be paid better and get benefits for my bitch work while occasionally doing actual carpentry

At the very least I want a company shirt that has my own name on it after 6 months of working there :v:

E: there's a Facebook AI group, right? Can I get an invite? I finally got a new, "anonymous" account to get access to the marketplace and I don't have enough friends

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Today we bought a paint sprayer and why the gently caress didn't I do this a year ago.

I feel like at least 3 of us explicitly told you to, dammit Rhyno

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You didn't tell me squat!

Also my wife did most of the painting so I had no real complaints. But I will be using this fucker to paint the garage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Built another amp.
Now I have twins!

TWINS BASIL!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm sitting out on my deck, smoking a cigar and enjoying a whiskey (Westland Distillery, an amazing Scotch style American Whiskey) and my cat's trying to guilt me into coming in and petting her.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm playing zoom jackbox games with my drunken work mates and sipping on some Clase Azul Reposado

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rhyno posted:

What kind of a paint sprayer?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

May so far?

There have been some posts from Entomologists basically saying we're massively overreacting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrOnBicycle posted:

What kind of a paint sprayer?

Grayco something or other. I'll post the model when I am home.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Made Brad & Claire's sourdough doughnuts. Only burned myself once!

Big up's to AI chat thread for putting me on to Brad/Claire/Bon Apetit in the first place. Best YT content besides Binky.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

There have been some posts from Entomologists basically saying we're massively overreacting.

You mean the media is overreacting? Fear sells man, nothing like giant hornets from Japan to freak everyone out....Somebody call Godzilla :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Built another amp.
Now I have twins!

This is cool man, what kind of speakers have you been running with them so far? I'd love to hear how it sounds hooked up to a good CD player and bookshelf speakers.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Made Brad & Claire's sourdough doughnuts. Only burned myself once!

Big up's to AI chat thread for putting me on to Brad/Claire/Bon Apetit in the first place. Best YT content besides Binky.

That looks delish and I'm tempted to try those myself.

I've been trying to get on the Bon Apetit, and Brad is entertaining, but I just can't deal with the stupid speech bubbles and animations all the time. It's way overdone. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

In other news, I've been battling a work problem (rootless podman containers on CentOS 8 if anyone cares) and I was basically living xkcd #349, but today it all came together and it's pretty awesome. Feels good man!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You mean the media is overreacting? Fear sells man, nothing like giant hornets from Japan to freak everyone out....Somebody call Godzilla :v:

Remember the news reports from, what, 1998? about how killer bees were invading the US, and rogue swarms would hunt you down and sting you to death with no provocation.

I feel like in the late 90s, we were out of the Cold War, we were getting a handle on HIV, and we still had a few years before we learned to be really afraid of terrorists, so TV news was just casting around for The Next Big Scare. Killer bees, cancer from high-tension power lines, scary irradiated food, and I definitely remember a special about cars randomly turning on and ramming into people's living rooms (the computers are trying to kill all humans!).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh.... I think I broke my ex. Not in a good way.

She's likely quitting her job of 18 years and moving in with her mom.. 600 miles away. Unless she can find a roommate really soon. She's citing "it's too expensive to live alone here", along with depression and her mother's health issues.

The depression, I definitely get. I've been there, breakups really suck when you're the one getting dumped (and they often suck for the person dumping you - this was not easy for me, despite how unhappy I've been - I've known her a long time and really do care about her, but I need vitamin D instead of vitamin V), and she's taken it a lot worse than I did. I also get her mom's health - her mom's an octogenarian with several issues. But she's been in this city for 15 years. She claims to have no friends outside of coworkers (when she moved here, she was already working for the same company). She's throwing away a career, even if it's a retail career, with excellent benefits. She's been telling me she makes more than me even after I got my last raise, but then told me she actually makes a little less than me after the breakup. Still, paid off Toyota she bought new that has <100k, zero debt at all, so frugal that she can make a penny scream for mercy (as long as it doesn't involve the AC thermostat, she likes it COLD). She left her tax return sitting on the printer... we really do make about the same (~$35k/yr - you can live on that here, alone, if you're frugal). I'm moving into a house (not on my own, but it's still a house vs an apartment), with crushing student loan debt and some IRS debt on top of that (though I'm throwing most of my Trumpbux at the IRS debt to make it go away).

Her mother is pushing her to move back, more because of the depression. I don't want to be the reason she throws away an 18 year career (and she's grandfathered into a bunch of benefits that she'll lose if she quits and gets re-hired). Her cats will probably wind up going to her ex before me, who lives about 20 minutes away. All of the furniture she has now? Who knows - it might get put into storage, she might try to have me sell it for her, she might try to drag it all back. We'll see. She literally has a whole house of furniture that her mother has been keeping in storage for her, plus an apartment full of furniture here. All I have is a few tables and an ottoman.

I feel like poo poo over her breaking down. And worst part is, it took her over a month to finally realize that yes, this is real, we're not getting back together, and I'm not getting another place with her. :smith: We're down to 2 weeks left on our lease, the time to act on finding a place that's not a complete shithole came and went awhile ago.

Or she might find a place and/or roommate. That's the best outcome for both of us. The property management company we rent from now owns several sliding-scale properties where they base your rent on how much you make, and this company has been the best I've ever dealt with as a tenant. At least that way she'll still have a job, and not wind up starting her life completely over. The only thing I'm sure of is I am NOT going to split an apartment with her. It's going to be too awkward when I start dating again. She and I have already agreed that it'll be really hard for her to deal with if I bring a guy over.

:sigh:

I'd love to hear how it sounds hooked up to a good CD player

Apparently my dumpster-find (well, next to a dumpster) Sharp DX-670 is supposed to be a pretty decent CD player if you want "true" music? No real processing aside from a D2A converter. It can be bitchy sometimes if it's been sitting a bit, it needs a good smack to read a CD (I suspect the belts are dried out, or maybe it just needs a little lube :quagmire:). But it's over 30 years old. It's running through a low end Onkyo receiver through 20 year old Infinity bookshelf speakers. And I'm half deaf at this point anyway.

Pham Nuwen posted:

cancer from high-tension power lines

One apartment complex I lived in had high tension lines running across it. When I made the switch to CFL bulbs, none of the bulbs would ever go completely off, they would always glow a bit. When manglement swapped out the 60s incandescent kitchen light for a T12 fixture, that did the same.

It was kinda neat sitting out on the patio on a humid night and hearing the crackling of the lines. They really made a lot more racket after a recent rain. These were definitely high tension lines and ran across the parking lot (and over a couple of buildings); one of our power line guys can chime in I'm sure. They did seem to feed the substation next to the apartment complex, so I'm assuming at least 100kV.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 4, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

I've been trying to get on the Bon Apetit, and Brad is entertaining, but I just can't deal with the stupid speech bubbles and animations all the time. It's way overdone. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Claire's gourmet makes videos don't have the same OTT editing so they may work better for you. Claire is great too, I really feel her frustration when she can't get something to work. I really like all the failure the BA videos show - cooking isn't like a perfect instagram "how-to".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

STR posted:

So uh.... I think I broke my ex. Not in a good way.
Not your problem.

:sever:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:sever: happened a couple of months ago. But I still care enough about her that I don't want to see her do something stupid. We've known each other for over 25 years, FFS. I don't want to write off a nearly lifelong friendship over a breakup.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Requested a refund from steam for Red Dead 2. Its a gorgeous game, but playing the same quest over and over and over and over as it constantly crashes ruins it. Typical Rockstar PC port (like GTA5)

I'll come back to it in a few years after they unfuck it and i'll use the money from Red Dead to buy Doom Eternal instead!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This is cool man, what kind of speakers have you been running with them so far? I'd love to hear how it sounds hooked up to a good CD player and bookshelf speakers.

These ones I've only hooked up to some Realistic Minimus 11's and Spica TC-50's for testing. They're perfect for the 4ohm Spica TC-50's.
The first amp has a slightly louder hiss than the second one so I might revisit and see if it's because of the wiring or the module.
The amp itself sounds perfect. I used B&O IcePower 50ASX2se modules that I snagged cheap on ebay. The only down side is the input impedance dips at higher frequencies to around 6k ohms so you really need a proper powered preamp or input buffer (unity gain) circuit on the input.
I eventually plan to use them with a miniDSP HD. The miniDSP will be running room correction and the active crossover so each amp channel will be wired directly to a single driver in each speaker. Four channels for two 2-way speakers.

I'm going mad right now because one of the neon lamp indicators died on me after I finished the second amp so now I'm town between just saying gently caress it and trying to ignore it, or finding a replacement for a 30 year old neon lamp, or just replacing all the neon lamps with new ones because I can't find anything to exactly match the dead one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slothrop posted:

Claire's gourmet makes videos don't have the same OTT editing so they may work better for you. Claire is great too, I really feel her frustration when she can't get something to work. I really like all the failure the BA videos show - cooking isn't like a perfect instagram "how-to".

Agreed, Claire got me in to the show, I have a huge crush on her.

I also recommend the series where they go to a reputable restaurant and order one of everything on the menu. (It's called One of Everything, if you search that you'll find the entire playlist). There's a few of the goofy speech bubbles and stuff but for the most part it's great hearing two food-trained people describe all the reasons a restaurant is awesome. It'll make you hungry as gently caress though.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 4, 2020

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

STR posted:

:sever: happened a couple of months ago. But I still care enough about her that I don't want to see her do something stupid. We've known each other for over 25 years, FFS. I don't want to write off a nearly lifelong friendship over a breakup.

I can tell you wish the best for her, but everyone's poo poo is their own business. If she spirals on downward, best you should do is make sure you're doing well. You have no responsibility for her mental health. I know you know this, but it's helped me to have other people state it.

Clearly you tried to make it work, but you gotta be who you are, and you are doing that. She needs to find stability and that's not your property to survey. Hope you're doing well, STR.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I eventually plan to use them with a miniDSP HD. The miniDSP will be running room correction and the active crossover so each amp channel will be wired directly to a single driver in each speaker. Four channels for two 2-way speakers.

This is interesting I've never heard of these....How exactly do they work? Would I benefit using one with a 2.1 powered system on my desktop?

I've got a pair of powered M-Audios and a powered Polk sub running through a DAC at the moment. It's in a pretty large echo-y room and using the EQ in Windows Media Player doesn't do much to help the sound.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This is interesting I've never heard of these....How exactly do they work? Would I benefit using one with a 2.1 powered system on my desktop?

I've got a pair of powered M-Audios and a powered Polk sub running through a DAC at the moment. It's in a pretty large echo-y room and using the EQ in Windows Media Player doesn't do much to help the sound.

MiniDSP does all the things. There's different hardware products and software solutions for almost anything audio-related.

The MiniDSP HD I got, is a very good DAC that can also handle room correction (I bought the Mic too for room analysis), has a parametric EQ and active software crossover.
You can absolutely benefit from it but you'll probably get more bang for your buck out of decent speakers and some sound absorption panels. Room correction is great, but it's not a panacea. If your room sucks, then your room sucks, and you need to fix that first. Room correction is just a way to get that last little bit of performance out of your system. Think of it like driving a race car. If you have a slow lovely car, then you can only drive it so fast no matter how good/terrible of a driver you are. If you have a really good car, but you're poo poo at driving, then you're not necessarily going to outperform the slow car. You have to take steps to improve your driving and setup before you can wring more performance out of your car.
If you're already pushing it to 9/10 in the corners, braking into the turn, hitting that apex and FLOORING it out of the turns, then you're not doing so bad. If you want to take it to 10/10 then the MiniDSP can help you take it there easily and cheaply. It can be a bit of a crutch (like traction control? I'm running out of analogies) but it's greatest use is when you're already set up for success and you just want to fine tune everything for the best possible outcome.

I bought it more as a project / proof of concept for future projects more than anything else, and to have a specifically calibrated mic for measuring speaker outputs.

e: I neglected to mention that the 2x4 HD is running miniDSP software but there is a firmware upgrade that will allow it to run Dirac 2.0 (for $200).
A good analogy of the difference between the MiniDSP and Dirac 2.0 would be like having full time active all wheel drive vs just a limited slip diff.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 4, 2020

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

STR posted:

Counterpoint :sever:

You're clearly a good guy but she is an adult and has to make her own choices the same we all do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stevobob posted:

I can tell you wish the best for her, but everyone's poo poo is their own business. If she spirals on downward, best you should do is make sure you're doing well. You have no responsibility for her mental health. I know you know this, but it's helped me to have other people state it.

Clearly you tried to make it work, but you gotta be who you are, and you are doing that. She needs to find stability and that's not your property to survey. Hope you're doing well, STR.

Ultimately, I guess stability may mean moving back in with her mother. She's STILL trying to pretend we can make a 2 bedroom apt work. That's a hell to the loving no. I'm not putting myself through that (I've tried that song and dance before, it doesn't end well), and definitely not putting her through that. It would be nothing but heartache for her anytime I actually wound up dating, and it would just be awkward all the way around. I've tried living with ex's before after a breakup, and out of every ex I've tried to live with after a breakup, I speak to exactly zero of them. It hurts really bad to inflict this kind of pain on someone, I'm usually the one getting dumped, but... damnit.

If the best thing for her mental health means leaving a job of 18 years and moving to the other end of the state, so be it, and I'll support her in that decision. Hell, I'll drive the drat moving truck across the state for her pulling her car behind it (just like I drove a moving truck halfway across the state pulling my car behind it to move in with her), so long as I can find a way back home. I'll load and unload the drat thing myself, so long as her mother isn't waiting with a shotgun. I just want her to at least try to explore other options outside of "gently caress everything, moving back in with mom at 42 and throwing away a nearly 20 year career". She's had a little over 2 months to prepare for the loss of apartment at this point (we're just shy of 2 weeks left), and I've been splitting my time between sleeping on a friend's couch, at our place, and occasionally in my car as it is.

TBH I think taking a 1-2 month leave of absence and going into some kind of psychiatric treatment (maybe a week inside a private facility, the rest outside, but still off of work) would be better. She has more than enough PTO (she's grandfathered in under a plan that isn't "use it or lose it", I think she has like 6 months saved up), she's enrolled in short and long term disability, her insurance will cover mental health... we have almost identical medical benefits aside from deductibles, right down to the insurance company.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 4, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Catching up - I apologize for the dump. Didn't have time to shitpost this weekend.

slidebite posted:

Oh, no problem and totally my fault. Canada and firearms.

A horrible mass shooting in Nova Scotia by a resident who was legally not able to own firearms (unlicensed) and killed people with smuggled US firearms appears to be the catalyst.

Making knee jerk decisions that impacts tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people based on terrible occasions makes the best policy!

It's going to be a total cluster gently caress. Absolutely guaranteed.

I'm at a loss to comprehend how more laws would have prevented someone who was unable to purchase and own firearms under the current laws from purchasing the same illegal firearms illegally that were already illegal in Canada regardless of who purchased them. Redundancy intended for effect.

InitialDave posted:

Who says white people have no culture?

Humphreys posted:

That's beautiful! But needs more flames on the mask

jonathan posted:

what's the workflow for getting images into a project thread these days ? gently caress me if im going to manually copy and paste a bunch of imgur ur;'s or whatever I did 10 years ago. What's the easiest way ?

That *is* the easiest way.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just saw the line of Starlink satellites go across the sky and it's honestly one of the coolest things I've seen. I appreciate that they intend to make them less visible, but for now it's super cool to witness.

Astronomers, both pro and amatuer, are hating on the Starlinks pretty bad. They'll spread out a bit eventually, but there are still concerns.
Personally... eh. We have space telescopes, and rural parts of the world need internet more than we need to discover new galaxies that we can't reach (yet.)

Regarding teens and COVID-19. This is my daughter's senior year as well. In her case, it doesn't affect her mas much, since she's largely apathetic about school, and Aspergers/introvert to boot, so all the social aspects are largely moot. It's hard getting her to do the actual schoolwork, though, so she may actually fail and get to do it all again, which would be just *lovely*. It's maddening - she doesn't even have to do well. They're doing pass/fail on the the work since Shelter In Place, and GPA will be based on work completed prior. All she's got to do is *do* it, and we're having a hard time doing that. I try to keep out of it and just support my wife, because we're too similar and just lock horns to no good effect.

kastein posted:

I'm with you on this.

Rhyno posted:

I bought one a few weeks ago, and said the same thing. The answer, of course, was "it's several hundred dollars", but I can deal with that now.

Rhyno posted:

Grayco something or other. I'll post the model when I am home.

I got the Graco Project Painter Plus, their cheapest consumer model ($259 at Home Depot), and it's more than adequate for my needs. I don't plan on spraying 100 gal/year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Astronomers, both pro and amatuer, are hating on the Starlinks pretty bad. They'll spread out a bit eventually, but there are still concerns.
Personally... eh. We have space telescopes, and rural parts of the world need internet more than we need to discover new galaxies that we can't reach (yet.)

Unfortunately Space Telescope and Ground Based Telescopes actually do two different jobs, and having Space based telescopes doesn't replace the need for ground base astronomy.

Its also the problem of access: If you want to utilize a space based telescope, there's a waiting list. Almost anyone can book time on a ground based telescope or build one. It would shut off access to astronomical tools to all but the wealthiest and most influential of research teams.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus loving Tapdancing Christ.

So whenever anyone moves out of an "old" apartment in my complex, they spend 2 months tearing it apart to remodel it (and speaking of, my current apt is listed as being available in late July to early August, my move-out date is late May). I just woke up from a nice nap to sledgehammers.

Opened my door. They're demoing the apt across from this one. With the front door wide open. I went over to ask if they can just close the door - the doors are insulated fire doors, and kill sound pretty well. I have a nearly deaf neighbor next door that has his TV cranked to 11 24/7, to the point that I can hear it a bit inside the car while in the parking lot, and can make out words once I'm out of the car (and definitely figure out what he's watching once I'm in the breezeway) - I DON'T HEAR A loving THING INSIDE THIS APARTMENT. I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)

I just had a polite chat with the property manager. Well... polite in that I didn't yell or curse at them. About 1/3 of the population in this place works "essential jobs", and a decent chunk of those either work at my store on overnights, or work at a neighboring store (mostly also on overnights). Up until they started doing remodels, it was one of the more affordable apt complexes nearby. It's now one of the most expensive...and the oldest apt complex in this part of town.

All they had to do was close the loving door. They're not going in and out until they've knocked out all of the kitchen, the bathroom, a few walls, and a few ceiling fans. That's gonna be at least a few days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 4, 2020