Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Flourish increases the damage your critical hits do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

Anise's dungeon really needs some worthwhile loot or minibosses to break it up, it's just an endless ocean of trash mobs and nothing but healing items and item seeds as treasure. I ended up running past the entire second half instead of exploring.

And then as if to be as anticlimactic as possible, Angela with Lucent Beam+ killed the final boss's second phase in like 10 seconds :kiddo:

It sure is a low effort dungeon seeing as it's just all the major towns/castles in the game except with creepy lighting.
Out of curiosity what are the rewards for beating Anise at different time limits?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Item Getter posted:

It sure is a low effort dungeon seeing as it's just all the major towns/castles in the game except with creepy lighting.

I kind of like it, while it is low effort there was some effort in it. The way the areas are damaged to create new paths through them, and how they are damaged is appropriate, the various elements nearby "overflowing" into them. Altena's waterways and underground being frozen over, crystals overgrowing in Valsena, broken windows spewing strong winds in Laurent... there wasn't no thought put into it. Which is kind of the remake's ethos.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s a room in Anise’s Stockade that is based on the town part of Altena which I’ve found to be an excellent place to gain levels and get seeds. There are five battles and if you run around in a circle, fighting each one as you go, they will respawn giving you basically an endless string of battles, plus you can get back to the mid-point teleporter super quickly, without needing to go back through the castle basement.

Would recommend!!!
I haven't found those groups to drop Rainbow seeds, which you need for Class 4 stuff. Then again, I'm only just getting Hawkeye's Item Find stuff going on my NG++ playthough :v:

Alxprit posted:

I kind of like it, while it is low effort there was some effort in it. The way the areas are damaged to create new paths through them, and how they are damaged is appropriate, the various elements nearby "overflowing" into them. Altena's waterways and underground being frozen over, crystals overgrowing in Valsena, broken windows spewing strong winds in Laurent... there wasn't no thought put into it. Which is kind of the remake's ethos.
Agreed. Also that low effort is pretty on-point. The dungeon is designed to pump your levels up and give you stuff so you can max out your characters and the final boss having a Time Attack mode makes all of that worthwhile for people who care about such things. I've had a lot of fun going over my characters, their skills and the particulars of the final fight in order to see how fast I can beat her.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

EponymousMrYar posted:

I haven't found those groups to drop Rainbow seeds, which you need for Class 4 stuff. Then again, I'm only just getting Hawkeye's Item Find stuff going on my NG++ playthough :v:

I got a few rainbow seeds but they’re rare. And I got about 20 gold item seeds in like 20 minutes. You can get some class 4 gear from gold seeds but not every piece.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
... man the Crystal Desert is kinda annoying what with all the sand falls. Ended up getting a game over because I got trapped on fast moving sand and couldn't go anywhere, though I probably could've run out of the fight if I'd thought about it. Also the lack of save points basically meant starting the area over which... y'know, not right now.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Alxprit posted:

I do actually also like that part since it's like what each kingdom would be like if it was (more than temporarily) taken over by its enemies and fallen into ruin. I just mean it's low effort in the sense that it's only repurposing existing towns and super long because they could reuse every main character's starting town to make it.
Though I guess JRPG postgame dungeons with a lot of effort put into the design are pretty rare, the only one I can think of off hand is the Seraphic Gate from Valkyrie Profile (especially 2).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Item Getter posted:

I do actually also like that part since it's like what each kingdom would be like if it was (more than temporarily) taken over by its enemies and fallen into ruin. I just mean it's low effort in the sense that it's only repurposing existing towns and super long because they could reuse every main character's starting town to make it.
Though I guess JRPG postgame dungeons with a lot of effort put into the design are pretty rare, the only one I can think of off hand is the Seraphic Gate from Valkyrie Profile (especially 2).

Ys 8's postgame dungeon might be its best dungeon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Item Getter posted:

it's pretty in-character for this game though...many of the most memorable sections of the game are invasion sequences. i could see where the developers, as fans of the original, would think "everyone loves the fights in the towns, let's just make more of those"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Got Anise down in under a minute. It's true that you don't NEED to do her in under a minute, but it was satisfying nonetheless. The strat basically boiled down to manually targeting the crystals with their weaknesses while Riesz got in a multi-target Enfeeble, and then spamming Lucent Beam+ after the fact. If I got lucky the friends would use their class strikes but I didn't need them to hit under a minute. The True Queen's "start with magic up" chain ability is such a nice one.

I guess I'm done with this game for the time being? I do'nt have it on a cheevo platform so I'm not motivated to run through the Dark Majesty path. But I'm sure I'll be replaying this game periodically just like the original.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Item Getter posted:

Out of curiosity what are the rewards for beating Anise at different time limits?

Under 8 Minutes in Normal Mode gets you a chain ability that gives you 100% CS at the start of battle, which is inferior than the Cactus ability but I guess it can stack
Under 4 minutes in Hard mode gives you a chain ability that fully heals you at the start of battle.
Under 2 minutes in Hard you get a chain ability that turns all difficulties into beginner difficulty (aka you don't consume an item when using it in battle).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My main complaint about Anise's Stockade is that I really would've loved to see it sprinkled with upscaled old bosses like Dragonsmaw and the other penultimate dungeons were, just so you could put your level 70+ characters through their paces on some big targets.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Some beefed up Benevodons would have been nice inbetween illusion worlds

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Anise's Stockade sucked, but I'm finished. Don't know if I'm gonna try to beat Anise three more times, as I'm not sure I'm ready to do NG+/another party just yet. But I did take down the Black Rabite. Said bunny didn't kill me, but Anise did because of her loving mass petrification. Seriously, I got like 3 game overs in my entire playthrough and they were ALL due to that poo poo.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I didn't have a problem of the design of Anise's Stockade, but it needed some boss fights to top off each area instead of it just being endless mooks for about 45 minutes then the end boss. The fact that by the time you unlock Class 4 the only things left to hit with it are your story boss (which is comically outclassed at this point) and Anise... well, kinda calls back to how underwhelming 3rd Classes were in the original release, except this time you can't just get your grind on if you want to cheat the curve and get them earlier then the game thinks you should have them.

So, I guess same rules for original SD3 apply to ToM Remake- Don't plan your builds around Class 4 because the amount of time you are going to have them is utterly insignificant compared to how long you'll spend in 2nd and 3rd classes.

Also, it's an awful shame how after this game has done a lot to rehabilitate SD3's 'bad' classes like Light Duran and Dark Angela, Light and Light/Light Hawkeye are still hot garbage. At least Rogue's good now!

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
I'm thinking of starting my second run, but not sure how I wanna build Hawkeye for it. I am going to use Riesz, so the conventional wisdom is to have him go dark while she goes light for both buffs and debuffs. But, I was going to use Kevin for my third, and between his and Hawkeye's passives it would be pretty trivial to get attack and defense down without an actual debuffing class. So, it comes down to which classes would be more fun. Which gets to my point...

Does anybody have much experience with Rogue/Ninja Master? They both seem like they could be quite strong, so I was curious if either one stood out as more fun. They both seem to rely a lot on skill spamming, is one notably higher in damage than the other? Does either have an easier time in their second-tier class?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

I'm thinking of starting my second run, but not sure how I wanna build Hawkeye for it. I am going to use Riesz, so the conventional wisdom is to have him go dark while she goes light for both buffs and debuffs. But, I was going to use Kevin for my third, and between his and Hawkeye's passives it would be pretty trivial to get attack and defense down without an actual debuffing class. So, it comes down to which classes would be more fun. Which gets to my point...

Does anybody have much experience with Rogue/Ninja Master? They both seem like they could be quite strong, so I was curious if either one stood out as more fun. They both seem to rely a lot on skill spamming, is one notably higher in damage than the other? Does either have an easier time in their second-tier class?

Rogue is pretty much Pure Caster Hawkeye. He's not going to be doing much besides spamming Grumpkin, Rocket Launcher, Silver Dart or Hurlbat at enemies (let's be fair, about 75% of that will be Grumpkin) but he's shockingly good at those things. Hawk's already probably more of a caster then Charlotte is in the Trials Remake, but Rogue's spells are pretty comparable to Angela in terms of raw damage, while being a sturdier, more combat-capable chassis. He just, y'know, lacks some of the complete absurdism that Anglea can get to with... well, most of her builds since he lacks Light Angela's spell diversity and MP conversation or Dark/Dark Angela's absolutely absurd damage multipliers. (And, er, Rune Master exists. It's a thing too. It's... fine. It's still an Angela build, so it can't be bad, buuuuuutttt....)

Ninja Master is a little less of a raw caster, but the ability to apply instant debuffs across the entire enemy spawns while generating CS while doing so gives him a kind of Debuff -> CS -> Dirt Diversion or Melee Attack play pattern in normal fights. He's a much better support character then L/D Hawkeye (which is decidedly NOT a support build) but less stable then Rogue as a main DPS (though definitely not a slouch at it.) It's a great pick regardless of team, only really having overlap with specifically Dark/Dark Reize.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Are there any numbers on how Trials of Mana did sales wise? It kinda had the unfortunate timing of coming out relatively close to big titles like FF7R and Animal Crossing and I'm concerned that if it didn't do so hot it would deter Squarenix from doing more remakes (PLEASE.CHRONO.TRIGGER)

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I havent found anything for worldwide numbers. It apparently sold pretty well on Steam but I haven't heard a direct number.
Japan numbers are about 150k in its first week, with PS4 selling slightly more than the Switch version. For SE JRPG's in the last generation or so, it outsold every other series in its first week aside the big guns (FF and DQ) and Nier 2B's rear.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202004/30197772.html

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 4, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So I'm still in my first playthrough, and it's taking a bit because of lack of time, but also because I did something stupid like see if I could get the no damage bonus on every boss. And well it's going pretty well and has actually been a pretty fun little challenge.

But I don't want to draw attention to that necessarily, just use it to set up this crap, where I'm trying to beat Dolan in this way and, well...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

So I'm still in my first playthrough, and it's taking a bit because of lack of time, but also because I did something stupid like see if I could get the no damage bonus on every boss. And well it's going pretty well and has actually been a pretty fun little challenge.

But I don't want to draw attention to that necessarily, just use it to set up this crap, where I'm trying to beat Dolan in this way and, well...

... I wish you all the luck in the world with Zable Fahr, I really do.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mr. Locke posted:

Also, it's an awful shame how after this game has done a lot to rehabilitate SD3's 'bad' classes like Light Duran and Dark Angela, Light and Light/Light Hawkeye are still hot garbage. At least Rogue's good now!

Nomad is definitely not top-tier, but I don’t think he deserves the bad rap that he gets either. Sure, a lot of his skill set is useless, but the parts that work actually work pretty well. Judging by skills, since I don’t know the raw stat values of all the classes, he’s the best set up to deal melee damage of any of Hawkeye’s classes because of Pinpoint 2, Moon Energy and Critical Damage. Hawkeye will never be able to compete with Duran or Kevin in melee, but Nomad supports those classes with Attack Up All 2 and does solid damage himself.

It’s easy to look at Poison Bubble and think it sucks compared to Grumpkin and the Rogue kit, but it has some solid advantages. Since it’s a spell, rather than a trap, it can be boosted with stat manipulation spells. It has reasonable AoE, is pretty cheap, benefits from Nomad’s crit bonuses and triggers Special Effect on it’s own damage. As long as normal enemies aren’t shielded or immune, Nomad can simply tear them to pieces with spell spam.

If Lunatique works like in the original, Nomad also accounts for 20% of your team’s damage against bosses automatically.

The problem is that while he has versatile options against bosses and normal encounters, he’s not overwhelmingly strong at any one thing and requires support from other characters to shine while only contributing niche support himself. I still think Nomad could be very good on the right team, though, particularly depending on Nature Aura’s interaction with certain passives.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What do I do with the left over ??? seeds after I have all the class items on one side of the class tree for my characters? Do I reset their classes to the opposite side and plant the seeds or do I save them for new game +?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I saved mine for the next game.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Nomad is definitely not top-tier, but I don’t think he deserves the bad rap that he gets either. Sure, a lot of his skill set is useless, but the parts that work actually work pretty well. Judging by skills, since I don’t know the raw stat values of all the classes, he’s the best set up to deal melee damage of any of Hawkeye’s classes because of Pinpoint 2, Moon Energy and Critical Damage. Hawkeye will never be able to compete with Duran or Kevin in melee, but Nomad supports those classes with Attack Up All 2 and does solid damage himself.

It’s easy to look at Poison Bubble and think it sucks compared to Grumpkin and the Rogue kit, but it has some solid advantages. Since it’s a spell, rather than a trap, it can be boosted with stat manipulation spells. It has reasonable AoE, is pretty cheap, benefits from Nomad’s crit bonuses and triggers Special Effect on it’s own damage. As long as normal enemies aren’t shielded or immune, Nomad can simply tear them to pieces with spell spam.

If Lunatique works like in the original, Nomad also accounts for 20% of your team’s damage against bosses automatically.

The problem is that while he has versatile options against bosses and normal encounters, he’s not overwhelmingly strong at any one thing and requires support from other characters to shine while only contributing niche support himself. I still think Nomad could be very good on the right team, though, particularly depending on Nature Aura’s interaction with certain passives.

Also, crystalline is actually pretty cool if you bind it to a hotkey, and have some way to generate enough mp to spam it. It has a short enough cast time that you can use it as an active parry with a practically infinite timing window.

It's basically "masterful kill" from dragon's dogma, that allows you to move and fight while waiting for the enemy attack to land, but doesn't deal damage on it's own. Wall is probably even better with it's damage reflection when used like this, but I don't have enough system mastery regarding enemy attacks to be able to reliably identify which enemies/attacks outside of the literal wizard enemies it would effective to use against.

Though my first team with hawkeye in it was on my new game+ playthrough, so I was feeding my crystalline spam fueled invulnerability with obsidian power. As such, I don't know how viable that is with just the less op mana recovery tools the game gives you.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Oo Koo posted:

Also, crystalline is actually pretty cool if you bind it to a hotkey, and have some way to generate enough mp to spam it. It has a short enough cast time that you can use it as an active parry with a practically infinite timing window.

It's basically "masterful kill" from dragon's dogma, that allows you to move and fight while waiting for the enemy attack to land, but doesn't deal damage on it's own. Wall is probably even better with it's damage reflection when used like this, but I don't have enough system mastery regarding enemy attacks to be able to reliably identify which enemies/attacks outside of the literal wizard enemies it would effective to use against.

Though my first team with hawkeye in it was on my new game+ playthrough, so I was feeding my crystalline spam fueled invulnerability with obsidian power. As such, I don't know how viable that is with just the less op mana recovery tools the game gives you.

Yeah, I was actually just thinking that Wall and Crystalline are probably better than I’m giving them credit for being if you’re good at using them. I did find I had trouble with MP on Nomad on a regular playthrough, though, even just mostly using Nature Aura, Moon Energy and Poison Bubble. Even with MP Move Saver, he needs some other kind of MP support to be able to go nuts with his spells. I think Nomad, Warrior Monk or Edelfrei (especially Edelfrei) and any Riesz could make a really good team and I’ll probably try that out at some point. Now I’m doing Kevin, Duran and Riesz, aiming for Divine Fist, Edelfrei and Vanadys and am really enjoying how disgustingly strong Kevin is.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't think the HP percent Lunar spells work against bosses given my own testing, but yes; Nomad's Crit buff spell, ability to easily set up crits (even for itself) and very good ability synergy, probably makes it the third best class among Hawkeye's classes this time around (the best being Ninja Master and Rogue for AoE/debuff and pure DPS).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Angela's trial would be 90% less obnoxious if they put a loving save point before the fight.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 4, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Definitely set her up and save outside the cave, but I think it autosaves when you enter the map that's exclusive to her trial.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Of course I beat it immediately after complaining.

Really amusing seeing Angela have a serious heart to heart with her mom while in a metal bikini

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

I don't think the HP percent Lunar spells work against bosses given my own testing, but yes; Nomad's Crit buff spell, ability to easily set up crits (even for itself) and very good ability synergy, probably makes it the third best class among Hawkeye's classes this time around (the best being Ninja Master and Rogue for AoE/debuff and pure DPS).

Yeah, I actually bothered to use lunatique against a normal enemy and it applies a debuff icon, which it doesn’t against bosses. That just can’t be intentional. Half Vanish (I can’t remember the new English name) is already incredibly niche and is more than twice as strong. Even if it allows you to trigger status effect related abilities, it would basically never be worth it.

Edit: I can confirm that Crystalline and Wall are quite nice on shortcuts. They’re quick to apply and help you ignore a lot of bullshit. MP is not an issue with the MP regen chain abilities the game hands out to you going into the post game.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 4, 2020

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Really amusing seeing Angela have a serious heart to heart with her mom while in a metal bikini

After beating the game with Angela in the party I like to imagine her mom wasn't actually being mind controlled and never cared about her. But after seeing how powerful Angela really is went ":stonklol: Angela my uh...beloved daughter! Who I have always loved! Yes, I have always loved you! That whole sacrifice thing was all mind control and I am completely totally innocent!"

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Folt The Bolt posted:

I went nightblade and it seemed drat good. The 10% to instant kill normal enemies goes off more than you’d think given he can charge into a cluster and power swing 4 times in an AoE during a few combos. I was using the chain skill to apply poison with power attacks already that went nicely into the later skill to instant kill with power attacks 10% of the time unconditionally. Plus his fire/poison breath attacks can trigger the instant kill too and they multi hit in an AoE.

I got a bit down on the debuffs for bosses since his last boss seems to absorb every element but water. Weirdly, his best ability for dealing damage to bosses seemed to be to just keep chucking wrenches at them for 1k damage a shot at level 70 and only swing at them to build CS for fight gimmicks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to check in and say that I am really loving this game :) And not just for nostalgia’s sake like I expected; the combat is really addictive, and hunting for treasure is really fun too!

I’ve beaten 5/8 Benevodons, with a successful class change between 3 & 4. Currently rocking LL Angela, LD Duran and DD Hawkeye.

I will also cop to being pretty much exactly where the devs wanted me to be, both in experience and lucre. I usually have enough money to upgrade almost all my armor and weapons when they become available, but I’m usually short by 1-3 items worth and have to decide who to upgrade first and make a note to come back and get the rest. And difficulty wise it feels just right, too. I win most fights with no problem, but if I waltz into a Benevodon or some back to back plot bosses unprepared, I occasionally get wrecked and have to prepare items and strategy a bit better.

Game is Good!

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

This was a great remake. On my 2nd playthrough now, using Angela, Keven, Hawkeye. First run was Reisz(D/D), Duran (D/L), Charlotte (D/D), and my favorite ended up being Warlock Charlotte just summoning demons and breathing hellfire on everything. She makes the cutest "bleeeeeeeeh" clip when using Fetid Breath.

2nd time around, I'm endeavoring not to get overleveled, and things have definitely been a fair bit harder, especially with me playing as Angela, at least early on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm surprised you're having issues with Angela in NG+, did you not grab any of the chain abilities that make MP management a thing of the past?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Oh, I just started a new game because I didn't want to abuse any of that stuff anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh, that's fair. Once I get all the achievements I'll probably do the same sine I'm gonna keep on replaying this game for the next couple years/decades until they make a re-remaster, just like FFV!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I make a party with Angela/Charlotte I could hear twice as much "HOOOLY BOLT!" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't know if I can make a party the doesn't have Angela in it anymore. Not because she is so powerful, but because her dialogue is amazing. Every battle that starts with her saying "I. DON'T. HAVE. TIME. FOR. THIS." is the best.