Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Goes to show how poorly I understood the game's tactics and how this isn't a brainless beatemup when I tried Arcade with Floyd and was doing WAY better than my first playthrough on Story. Understood how poo poo works a lot more in terms of seeing encounters like a puzzle and recognizing how the enemies work.

I think Axel could use a slight buff? Weird how his stats listed in the game are basically the same as Adam's except Adam gets one extra point in "Jump" and has a quicker toolset for combos. Axel's biggest weapon is absolutely the rolling special from the air; I think his grand upper needs more priority though. Seems like it doesn't have the interrupting power it should. He's not godawful but right now he seems a step behind where he should be compared to everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

exquisite tea posted:

Holy poo poo, I just beat Chinatown on Mania. That was basically the most insane act of gaming in my life. Every single screen has at least one thing that can instantly drop you, sometimes more than one! Very humbling to put on possibly the greatest performance of my beatemup career and only hit C rank.

Just wait til Y tower, that poo poo is bananas. There really is no getting through it without gitting gud on Mania, but it feels so good once you dominate it. :)

DLC Inc posted:

Goes to show how poorly I understood the game's tactics and how this isn't a brainless beatemup when I tried Arcade with Floyd and was doing WAY better than my first playthrough on Story. Understood how poo poo works a lot more in terms of seeing encounters like a puzzle and recognizing how the enemies work.

I think Axel could use a slight buff? Weird how his stats listed in the game are basically the same as Adam's except Adam gets one extra point in "Jump" and has a quicker toolset for combos. Axel's biggest weapon is absolutely the rolling special from the air; I think his grand upper needs more priority though. Seems like it doesn't have the interrupting power it should. He's not godawful but right now he seems a step behind where he should be compared to everyone else.

Axel absolutely could use a stronger Grand Upper, just because he feels real bad to play. He's not weak, but...his forward special being nothing more than a combo tool means his options are very limited compared to how Blaze can use her Kikosho to establish massive screen control and the same for Cherry, Floy and Adam. He needs an option beyond his power move and air special to assert himself with.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

What I want to know is how is he throwing that many forward specials next to a wall without even one more wallbounce? Is it just because it's hitting on a juggle?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

One thing I appreciate is how well this game took Adam Hunter, a character who was pretty much a nothingburger and got replaced with his younger hipper bro, and transformed him into the coolest motherfucker. Great example of breathing new life into such a plain-rear end design.

I kinda missed Skate but given this game takes place 10 years later, makes sense we probably wouldn't see an adult Skate still rolling around. Still want them to possibly add Roo later on, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Adam is kinda weird because i thought he was amazing because i just played Axel but the more i play him the more weird it is how awkward his no-range dash attack plays with things like his forward special. Adam's bread and butter is that f-special even though it uses up health, which makes him weaker than Blaze or Cherry, imo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Guy in Street Fight Doing Considerably Worse After Eating Turkey Leg Out of Trash Can

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've dabbled around with Cherry and Adam because their strengths are obvious but I keep coming back to Blaze. That forward special and airdash put in some work on these insane Mania comps. I also suck too much to switch mains before I can beat the whole thing.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Took me a while to work out a 1 star Blaze combo that did over 400 damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZtQXnMZFE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LIGHT PUNCH
MEDIUM PUNCH
LIGHT KICK
HEAVY PUNCH

https://twitter.com/Sometimes_Fendo/status/1256707882457927680?s=19

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

LIGHT PUNCH
MEDIUM PUNCH
LIGHT KICK
HEAVY PUNCH

The combo's interesting but....Are you referencing something here? I don't recognise it, and it sounds specific.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Bloodly posted:

The combo's interesting but....Are you referencing something here? I don't recognise it, and it sounds specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYdEjvAg3k

Gotcha covered.

Also man, I love this game to pieces and I'm still experimenting with the characters to decide who I like best.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I know y’all are already on that daigo air juggling multi combo dark souls no hit speedrun but I still need to know

How does babby avoid the robot magneto attack

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So far I've settled into Floyd, just because YEETing people off buildings is the best (and also it's good crowd control). Played my first run of Hardest Arcade yesterday and got stopped in the sewer stage, that felt like a huge difficulty spike.

Alan Smithee posted:

I know y’all are already on that daigo air juggling multi combo dark souls no hit speedrun but I still need to know

This is something I haven't figured out either. I've circumvented this by infiniting them to death when I can. Fine when it's just them but if people spawn behind me it's not really an option. I think there's some limited invincibility in neutral special attacks, but the timing is tricky and might get caught after the i-frames anyway.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 4, 2020

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Alan Smithee posted:

It tracks to where you are when the objects start moving towards you-they don't home afterwards. If you're at range, you might be able to move out of the way. Up close? As far as I can tell, you're hosed. Of course, to me that seems true of a lot of things.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 4, 2020

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Am I missing something extremely obvious with Axel? If there's a cool combo around for him I'd like to see it, but everyone else seems to have combo pathing that's way more interesting than him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Goodpart posted:

Am I missing something extremely obvious with Axel? If there's a cool combo around for him I'd like to see it, but everyone else seems to have combo pathing that's way more interesting than him.

I havent used him but yeah seems like everyone finds him underwhelming

guess hitting the bottle made him slip

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

also I didnt see in the OP is there a goon co-op pair up system in place

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo this game is amazing and 4P co-op is plain loving ridiculous.

So far managed Arcade on Hard with 2P, but neither of us think we're capable of anything higher than that just yet. We can't even finish Boss Rush :downs:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Any official word on the GamePass version being different from the others? It kind of put me off on playing for now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just started hardest

the robo skeles hosed my day up

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ghostinmyshell posted:

Any official word on the GamePass version being different from the others? It kind of put me off on playing for now.

I think on Page 8 or 9 some Game Pass people were reporting in, saying they had difficulty launching, and for some, disabling VPN helped it work. Also apparently it's a different save file that doesn't transfer over to Steam.

So...if you're on Game Pass already it's worth a shot, probably, but if you're not might as well get it on Steam?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

OH MY GOD I DONT REMEMBER LEVEL 1 BEING THIS LONG

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Floydlords, has anyone made a DPS spreadsheet for optimal attacks when dealing with a solo enemy? what's the best thing to do when grappling for max pain

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Alan Smithee posted:

Floydlords, has anyone made a DPS spreadsheet for optimal attacks when dealing with a solo enemy? what's the best thing to do when grappling for max pain
My go to has been PP xx backfist PPP ffP fS, PP j.P j.P j.S

I'm sure you can do more with stars etc but this is pretty good for basically no resource spend

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Alan Smithee posted:

I honestly can’t hate the KEVIN-Dillon-Francis cuz as far as new criminal goon design goes, it Fits in with the classic streets thugs perfectly

Yeah I can't hate those dipshits because they're all dressed like white boys who thought they was hard because they listened to System back in 2003 and are all named absolutely perfectly to match :discourse: (Tho gently caress Francis's long range triple kick poo poo)

Enemies I hate most, ranked:

Whoever last made me eat poo poo

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 4, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

also can gently caress themself: Officer Cop with the choke slam taser

B.T. who even the gently caress are you? More B.G.: Brown Galcia get your own identity bro

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Enemies I hate the most?

In no particular order: jumping tube-top girls, taser cop, the weenies that just charge at you holding a knife with GIANT hitboxes, and the flame-breathing fatties.

Only one of those enemy types appears in truly large quantities, and all four types can attack on the Z-axis. Basically I hate any enemy that can attack-move on the Z-axis.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is there any tells as to whether or not Estel will land on her feet if you throw her? She doesn't always

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I got my first A grade using Axel, so I think ill keep grinding him since all my dumb friends wanna play blaze. everyone loves BLAZE! but yeah Axels jump special is what you use for his mobility and it OTGs. Axels strong just not as obvious.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I was going to try out playing co-op with an internet rando to learn that online play isn't available if you bought this on GoG.

Developers even stated that they wouldn't make online for that because.......are Steam servers explicitly separate? Is that a DRM thing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Steam has a free to use server infrastructure, GOG doesn't. Creating online for the GOG version would require them to host their own servers, at the very least the matchmaking server.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

why is skytrain so loving brutal

no food until the boss

is it even possible to get an extra life

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 4, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's very possible on Hardest/Mania to get an extra life for Skytrain if you get a good combo streak going.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My friend just told me I have a top 1000 hardest score and I am just so proud.

E: also I play a lot of Axel and I think that all round he's excellent. You don't get the same level of control and have to be very careful with the grand upper, but I like that all his poo poo hits repeatedly. I can build 150+ combos that I wouldn't hit with other characters. His lockdown is also awesome if you use his special correctly. He's the man that generates extra lives on arcade for me.

Blaze is number one though.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 4, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

It's very possible on Hardest/Mania to get an extra life for Skytrain if you get a good combo streak going.

Yeah if you bust your hump you can get another life on hardest. Haven't gotten into mania.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blaze's voice clips for when she's using her specials weird me out because it's not the same voice actor as the lines she says in the character selection screen. I'm assuming those are straight up voice clips from older games?

Her blitz attack specifically doesn't sound like it's being said by her.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I got it on hardest

That wasn’t so bad but Y tower is killing me

I take back what I said about Dillon Francis

gently caress his music

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first floor of Y tower is I think the hardest segment in the entire game. Just brutal.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Blaze's voice clips for when she's using her specials weird me out because it's not the same voice actor as the lines she says in the character selection screen. I'm assuming those are straight up voice clips from older games?

Her blitz attack specifically doesn't sound like it's being said by her.

My brother and I noticed it’s like she has two different voice actors. Blaze still bae though.

On hardest stage 12, trying to finish this and get on maniac already. I hope when they do a dlc update for new characters that they also include a practice mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I really would love an Endurance Mode added to this game because sometimes I'd like to beat on increasingly ridiculous configurations of bad guys without having to deal with stage gimmicks.