Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

l m a o

Why is he on the throne from Akira?

just wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flustered Kaguya is very good, and her voice actress nails it

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
drat, that is one fine reproduction of an Akira throne right there. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it's basically asking very talented artists to reproduce something in a similar art style with perfect reference material to use. I like that there's just enough different about it to tell that someone definitely drew it from scratch and it's not just some form of copy-pasting.

I haven't read most of the early chapters, so I'm really excited to see Miko finally appear, since she's always been around in the issues I've read.

Shirogane had the biggest win of the anime so far I think, if we're judging just based on trapping the other person into showing affection for you. That was some real love confession energy coming from Kaguya at the end of ep. 3. I really hope we get to the cultural festival for the season finale, though I feel like they'd skip a lot of material to do that.

The fan and moonstruck Shirogane have been great elements, and I want both to return as at least brief gags in the season (Ideally the fan at least once an episode, and the moon one more time with Kaguya being jealous of it).

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 26, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Shirogane has some real game when he's not stuck in his head.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i can't believe ishigami is loving dead

Anyway, a day later and i'm still marveling at the rooftop/moon sequence.

e: was that Akira reference in the manga too?

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

a kitten posted:

e: was that Akira reference in the manga too?

Nope, it's anime-original.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
This show is very good

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I should've watched this episode much earlier this week! They're really doing a great job, particularly with the moon gazing segment. Kaguya's VA kicks rear end.

No 80s western pop sound-alike this week, though, unless I missed it. If it was at the very end when Shirogane is submitting the application I didn't recognize it.

Please enjoy a pensive (or plotting?) Fujiwara:

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Agronox posted:

I should've watched this episode much earlier this week! They're really doing a great job, particularly with the moon gazing segment. Kaguya's VA kicks rear end.

No 80s western pop sound-alike this week, though, unless I missed it. If it was at the very end when Shirogane is submitting the application I didn't recognize it.

Please enjoy a pensive (or plotting?) Fujiwara:

Well, there was the X-Files theme in the first part.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Holy cow this was the best episode this season so far. Pretty much a 100% elevation from the original manga chapters.

"Haysaca" was done perfectly and big :lol: at Hatakeyama literally recreating the first scene of Araragi and Hanekawa in Bakemonogatari when Shirogane was talking to Fujiwara.

Oh and Iino showed up too I guess. Just her intro but it was done super good too.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hayasaka's VA puts in some exceptional work this week.

HEY HEY~

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eight minutes and thirteen seconds: my soul has left my body

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Agronox posted:

I haven’t read the manga so I dunno what you’re talking about exactly but I was wondering why the show was so blatantly ripping off Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) during the birthday present battle toward the end of episode 2

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

fairlight posted:

I haven’t read the manga so I dunno what you’re talking about exactly but I was wondering why the show was so blatantly ripping off Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) during the birthday present battle toward the end of episode 2

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about, I probably said it poorly. Episode 2 had You Spin Me Round, and the Ai Spyasaka scene in Ep. 1 ripped Madonna's Vogue. I was wondering if there was something like that in the third ep... I'll have to pay attention now in the fourth.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Agronox posted:

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about, I probably said it poorly. Episode 2 had You Spin Me Round, and the Ai Spyasaka scene in Ep. 1 ripped Madonna's Vogue. I was wondering if there was something like that in the third ep... I'll have to pay attention now in the fourth.

Oh. They brought back the song from e2 for a minute and ripped off another non-pop piece I won’t spoil

If Kei Haneoka is doing the music for season 2 as well, I know he’s done a handful of direct ripoffs for the Monogatari stuff he’s worked on (e.g. Tsukimonogatari was full of homages to Steve Reich, including a few tracks that were just Piano Phase to a T) along with the other composer for the monogatari series, Satoru Kōsaki. Seems like the two of them are especially skilled at musical reference/appropriation, to put it charitably. I certainly don’t mind.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://imgur.com/JGw0957

Hey Hey!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The bit in ep2 where Kaguya is distracted by the fan reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7D5Sy8XfJE&t=101s

fairlight
May 18, 2007

sinky posted:

The bit in ep2 where Kaguya is distracted by the fan reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7D5Sy8XfJE&t=101s

Given Haneoka’s previous references to Reich’s work, I would trace the line of influence to Philip Glass, but I’d also guess that Daft Punk are almost certainly drawing on the same lineage so you’re not wrong

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Agronox posted:

There was also a beat of Rose of Versailles when she was talking about studying 10 hours a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=has-Ru1lGTM

Also I think there was a knockoff of the Godfather theme during the "confession".

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

EDIT: Also, I didn't know Ume Aoki worked on this anime

Kibibit fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This caught me off-guard hard.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Speaking of references, and monogatari (which is a hyper-referential series itself), the bit just before that with shirogane and chika in the classroom was def a direct reference to bakemonogatari episode 1

e: oh someone already mentioned that, oops. Let’s keep cataloguing those refs because it’s impressive they can pack so many in without getting in the way of the actual comedy of the show. Nice job production team

fairlight fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 2, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Oh and as they're running away from the school a variation of this plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68vI135oMQ
It's a cover (but seems appropriate)

fairlight
May 18, 2007

2reachmu posted:

Oh and as they're running away from the school a variation of this plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68vI135oMQ
It's a cover (but seems appropriate)

Are the production team referencing this poo poo??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soeJfc0_iG4

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Inject all of episode 4 straight into my veins.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the way the directors and animators have elevated already amazing source material by adding all these dynamic visual elements is really cool

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
like, that sweeping dolly shot into the outdoors portion of the confession is something that i think 95% of anime adaptions gag manga wouldn't bother with. all the ways they find to heighten the feeling of the character's tension throughout is just a treat

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah this show has always had really good cinematography. Maybe that's not the right technical term to use with animation but y'all know what I mean.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the way the directors and animators have elevated already amazing source material by adding all these dynamic visual elements is really cool

I tried reading the manga a bit and it felt so lifeless without the amazing audiovisual treatment. People who read the manga first must be so satisified, this is a killer adaptation.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I will say that it's pretty disappointing that funi didn't even try to translate Iino's flier at all.

fairlight posted:

I tried reading the manga a bit and it felt so lifeless without the amazing audiovisual treatment. People who read the manga first must be so satisified, this is a killer adaptation.

It's an extremely good adaption, yeah

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Saagonsa posted:

I will say that it's pretty disappointing that funi didn't even try to translate Iino's flier at all.

yeah, the non-manga reader i watch with got the gist of it from the context, but it was a weird thing not to make clear.

especially when it's so important to the impression of the character that's being introduced

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I am so so happy now that Hayasaca has joined the ranks of neurotic morons that make up the rest of the cast. Seeing this week's episode animated exceeded all of my expectations so I hope we get like however many more seasons of this we need to cover the entire manga.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Art from the official Twitter

I love Monogatari so seeing it referenced in the adaptation of my favorite manga was awesome!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This show looks cheaper than ever and despite that the directing has been absolutely phenomenal. It hit peak Monogatari in the middle scene, but even the scenes before that were very Monogatari.

...wait crap, I had completely forgotten that this was directed by the same dude who directed Rakugo Shinjuu and Sankarea. Of course, he was Shaft alumni who made DEEN stuff look good.

Saagonsa posted:

I found this hopefully it helps.

Yeah she doesn't have a chance, she doesn't pair her ideals of brutal hierarchy with the cruel bullying joy, unlike modern movements with traction. She's a throwback to Taisho/early Showa ideals.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kaguya.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I need a new compilation of Kaguya/Chika/Shiro noises

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

Kaguya.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

One of the funniest moments honestly. I love visual gags like that

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I never got past the first chapter initially because my first impression implied a radically different genre than what I ended up experiencing and glad I gave the anime a chance.

Phobophilia posted:

This show looks cheaper than ever and despite that the directing has been absolutely phenomenal. It hit peak Monogatari in the middle scene, but even the scenes before that were very Monogatari.

...wait crap, I had completely forgotten that this was directed by the same dude who directed Rakugo Shinjuu and Sankarea. Of course, he was Shaft alumni who made DEEN stuff look good.

I found this hopefully it helps.

Yeah she doesn't have a chance, she doesn't pair her ideals of brutal hierarchy with the cruel bullying joy, unlike modern movements with traction. She's a throwback to Taisho/early Showa ideals.

Holy shiiiiit and she's in second!? Is this "The Wave" being recreated!?

You'd think she should lose from such strict discipline but maybe the students of such a highly prestigious school might all be comprised of stuck ups who think the rules are for other people.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I mean the place was originally set up for the hyperelite to lord it over the peasants. But at some point, a power shift occurred in the background, and the as people graduated out, the newcomers were not as pathologically obsessed with brutal hierarchy as the old guard. The Iino types are a hard core minority within the broader body, the majority of them aren't cloistered from the general public and would prefer more relaxed standards of behavior. Well, the Shinomiya clan would have fit neatly into the old system, found common ground with Iino, but then Shirogane happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I never got past the first chapter initially because my first impression implied a radically different genre than what I ended up experiencing and glad I gave the anime a chance.

Holy shiiiiit and she's in second!? Is this "The Wave" being recreated!?

You'd think she should lose from such strict discipline but maybe the students of such a highly prestigious school might all be comprised of stuck ups who think the rules are for other people.

The second place might just come from her noteriety, with students not actually knowing what she stands for.