Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wasn't final fantasy 14 such a stinkpile that the first expansion was them literally rebooting the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

wasn't final fantasy 14 such a stinkpile that the first expansion was them literally rebooting the universe

ARR is the reboot. Nobody has to or even can play the original version anymore.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yup, that's why the base game is 2.0.

1.0 was so bad they dropped a moon on it. Quite literally, lore-wise; 2.0 starts after the Seventh Umbral Calamity, which marked the end of 1.0 (hence A Realm Reborn) :v:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Anonymous Robot posted:

What’s the best way to play FFVIII anyways? I keep going back and forth on the remaster. It sounds insane and maybe it’s just nostalgia, but there’s something about the original models (the up-rezzed pc port versions) that feels more characteristic than the more genericized anime style of the remaster models.

You should play the original, and then the remaster. No other information will be given.

Okay, well, a little more information will be given: The original models work best for the gameplay/dialogue in the original game, but the remake's new models aren't mostly visuals with the same kind of lines and reactions - they went full hog and have a bunch of new, good dialogue that sounds like actual humans speaking, both in writing and in delivery.

(Also cloud's the only one who looks anything like 'generic anime,' and that falls apart after a few hours when he starts, you know, reacting to things and having expressions)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sinteres posted:

ARR is the reboot. Nobody has to or even can play the original version anymore.

Yeah I think calling ARR "actively bad" is overstating things a little. It definitely has rough edges, more visible now that you have good expansions to compare it to, but it was good enough to literally save a game that was so bad they blew it up and started over so like....it's fine, lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orcane posted:

No, FF14-ARR is actively bad, sorry. You also have to play through Heavensward (mostly good I guess?) and Stormblood (bad) to reach Shadowbringers or pay another $40 to skip ahead to the most recent expansion. I know some people adore FF14 but come on.

Yeah it's pretty bad. It took me 80 hours to slog through and I think a lot of peoples' memories of it have softened with age. Just lots of tedious MMO design in extremely bland environments.

Weirdly, I actually liked the post-ARR patch content.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

John Lee posted:

You should play the original, and then the remaster. No other information will be given.

Okay, well, a little more information will be given: The original models work best for the gameplay/dialogue in the original game, but the remake's new models aren't mostly visuals with the same kind of lines and reactions - they went full hog and have a bunch of new, good dialogue that sounds like actual humans speaking, both in writing and in delivery.

(Also cloud's the only one who looks anything like 'generic anime,' and that falls apart after a few hours when he starts, you know, reacting to things and having expressions)

Seems like they asked about FFVIII, not FFVII

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I went and looked at a bunch of screenshots and it seems like the remake models don’t usually have expressions appropriate for the situation like the original models do? Seems like a real lazy update.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Does the remaster maintain some of Squall's lines getting replaced with "Whatever"? Because that's integral to the FF8 experience.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Funky Valentine posted:

Does the remaster maintain some of Squall's lines getting replaced with "Whatever"? Because that's integral to the FF8 experience.

we all had that period of being emotionally stunted assholes who thought leather jackets were cool while being deeply obsessed with a stupid ccg ok

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Did they keep zell's Mike Tyson tattoo?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

funkmeister posted:

Well, THIS summer is a great summer for an MMO. :(

Hah ya maybe.

Btw I was thinking of playing Skyrim but I never got the DLCs on PC. It seems like the only legal way to get the dlc is to buy the special edition? How stupid is that.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Only thing I remember about FF8 Remaster is they put panties on Siren or something. I never got into 8 because of the draw mechanic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

#6 literally who?

I gave up on FF14 midway through Stormblood.

#12 :bubblewoop:

#20 who?

Noctis should be #1 :colbert:

So far Heavensward>Stormblood>ARR. IDK how shadowbringers falls into that.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 4, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

orcane posted:

No, FF14-ARR is actively bad, sorry. You also have to play through Heavensward (mostly good I guess?) and Stormblood (bad) to reach Shadowbringers or pay another $40 to skip ahead to the most recent expansion. I know some people adore FF14 but come on.

It just seems like it's you that hate the game. ARR is a generic Jrpg plot at worst and both Heavensward and Stormblood are undeniably great.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

It just seems like it's you that hate the game. ARR is a generic Jrpg plot at worst and both Heavensward and Stormblood are undeniably great.
I'm sorry I insulted your favourite game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Even from people who really like the game, the best I ever seem to see people say about it is that it starts to get good once you're finally three quarters or so in, which is really quite telling.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Final Fantasy XIV is very good. ARR can be a slog at at times but when the update that purges a lot of the quests happens then it'll be pretty alright. The story is just a vector to get you to the dungeons and it sets up characters for the expansions, all of which are great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Even from people who really like the game, the best I ever seem to see people say about it is that it starts to get good once you're finally three quarters or so in, which is really quite telling.

I think the difference for me is that ARR is good for an MMO and post-ARR is good for an RPG.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I subbed for i think two months and didn't make it through ARR, it was an absolutely dreadful slog.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cardiovorax posted:

FFXIV has its low-points and high-points. As you get further in, the balance tips more and more towards the latter, especially storywise. But let's not kid ourselves, the combat system relies heavily on the relationship between managing your rotation and dodging attacks. If the enemy poses no challenge, you will go braindead from boredom because every class has only one true rotation. Fortunately, the big battles really force you to be situationally aware and dodge like crazy, and the spectacle is certainly worth experiencing.

I really, really want them to stop adding classes and just provide a more varied toolkit for each class, but I doubt this will ever happen.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 4, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cardiovorax posted:

Base ARR yeah maybe, it definitely has some pretty poorly-paced parts to it, though over time "parts of this thing really drag" kind of morphed to "all of it is actually bad" because the expansions were so much better in comparison.

If you actually mean "it doesn't get good until three quarters in for all total content" though then that's more on either your eyes or your memory being highly selective.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's literally designed as "newbie's first MMORPG" so in tried and true JRPG tradition you're stuck in the "tutorial" for way too long.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ARR's stinkiness is also partly a symptom of the combat/gameplay being designed a) for console compatibility, and b) for people who'd hardly played MMOs before. So for 30 hours the fighty bits are boring and unchallenging because you have all of seven or eight regularly useful buttons total

From the expansions onward, if you're just playing for the story, it's at least more interesting and the bosses are more complicated (and consistently readable). Unless you find hotbar ability combat with GCDs totally anathema, which I don't blame you for

(e) what orcane said in far fewer words :eng99:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I made it through ARR, Heavensward, and most of Stormblood. I bought Shadowbringers, but was still stuck in Stormblood when I finally decided it wasn't worth it and quit again. The story from Heavensward and Stormblood is just as forgetable and generic JRPG as A Realm Reborn, it's just presented better by not having so much (still too much) annoying back and forth quests. Really the major difference from ARR and post-ARR is ARR took out the travel quests from the generic kill quests so you were doing them seperately, post-ARR just combined them like most other MMOs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I still love that Vivi and Zidane actually ranked notably higher than Sephiroth of all characters. Even Tidus scored higher.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

Base ARR yeah maybe, it definitely has some pretty poorly-paced parts to it, though over time "parts of this thing really drag" kind of morphed to "all of it is actually bad" because the expansions were so much better in comparison.

If you actually mean "it doesn't get good until three quarters in for all total content" though then that's more on either your eyes or your memory being highly selective.
Or it could just be that I wasn't saying that in a 100% literal "exactly three quarters of the content available" sense. But really, opinion on the expansions seems to vary quite a bit and I don't really have the time to play it myself, so I can only go by the negativity I see every time the game is mentioned - which, in spite of apparently being far, far better than it started out as, is still quite substantial and strongly worded.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

exquisite tea posted:

I tried playing the free trial of FF14 a couple weeks ago and it was without a doubt the dullest few hours of gaming I've had in a recent memory. I think I spent the first couple hours delivering packages back and forth around town.

Yeah, XIV has a problem in that the base game is really dull, and then the post-main game is like 100 fetch quests and easily enough to turn someone off completely. The good news is that the expansions after that are fantastic. And ARR is about to get cropped and add flight. The story is incredibly melodramatic in a kojima-esque insane way at times. It all gets so much better starting at heavensward. The writers they bring in later are great and the storyline from heavensward on is quickly becoming my favorite in the franchise.

FWIW I play a ton of MMOs and bounced off ARR at launch really hard. I finally quit wow before BFA and don't see myself going back because I got real tired of titanforged bullshit and the mythic balancing. I've played almost every MMO under the sun, and FFXIV is probably the only one I'll be playing going forward until something new and exciting hits. I was really skeptical until heavensward, but It's pretty much my perfect MMO these days.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 4, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1257353923372949507?s=19

Yakuza 7 coming to PC

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:thatsrad:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

yes...yes!!

Not sure if I’ll enjoy the switch to turn-based gameplay but bet your rear end I’ll at least look into it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yes! Now just get 6 and Judgment in there. I own them both on PS4 but the load times suck and I’d rather play games with that much text on my monitor.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like a dragon,

torched for the very first time

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya hope at some point Yakuza is all pc. That's my favorite thing about PC gaming, you can just have everything in one place.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Yakuza release schedule on PC is going to be so much weirder than the Ps4 at this point

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

:woop:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe someday they’ll release those good games in a form extracted from their mmo trappings.

Funnily enough, because the MMO-ness is basically a pivotal point and part of the big "oh gently caress yes" of the Shadowbringers showdown, removing the online multiplayer component would ironically lessen the climax that's so highly acclaimed. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yup, that's why the base game is 2.0.

1.0 was so bad they dropped a moon on it. Quite literally, lore-wise; 2.0 starts after the Seventh Umbral Calamity, which marked the end of 1.0 (hence A Realm Reborn) :v:

iirc the baddies in the original pre-reboot FFXIV tried to defeat the good guys by dropping the moon on them, except the moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut, who in this universe is a dragon slightly smaller than a moon and oh boy did he wake up in a foul mood

basically every faction on the battlefield got wiped out by laser dragon-breath shortly afterward

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 4, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oxxidation posted:

iirc the baddies in the original pre-reboot FFXIV tried to defeat the good guys by dropping the moon on them, except the moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut, who in this universe is a dragon slightly smaller than a moon and oh boy did he wake up in a foul mood

basically every faction on the battlefield got wiped out by laser dragon-breath shortly afterward

The moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut who they were using as a battery.

There's a raid series at the end of ARR (Binding Coil of Bahamut) which explains all the shenanigans Allag got around to regarding Bahamut. It's also not mandatory (actually super easy to miss if you don't know it's there) and impossible to matchmake for at this point in time. You can still just go in there with a handful of level 80s and destroy the raid if you want to see the story and cutscenes, I ran my boss through them this past weekend with the help of some other goons.

/edit: fun fact: during the last stretch of 1.0 you could actually see Dalamud (the moon prison) getting bigger in the sky as it hurled towards Eorzea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1257356005484179460