Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

oh but seriously I posted:

The only way to not kill us all... is to kill us all.

Anti-time. We have to go back... to the future.

O'brien is about

Seriously, just tell past crew what's what

OTHER NAME OF THE SHOW

The Trial never ends

OMG Q you are a sexy bitch

Aaaaand.... now I am crying. Shaky start, but it finished strong

Sorry about this outburst. It will not occur again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I will take a short break and then I will do The Voyager. I promise to constrain it to one post.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

What the gently caress is going on in here? I thought Picard season 1 was over? What's with all these total plausible quotes from Picard?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sooooo.... here we go with this. Ah, parts 1 & 2 are combined together because I must be punished. We open with The Voyager being seen back in with fireworks. Oh, poo poo that was all the past. Janeway has aged, which is treated as a shocking scene zero twist. gently caress, this mediocre space opera had a seriously stirring introduction. Old Harry has been away. Grandma Janeway is.... hitting on Harry? Joe the Doctor will outlive his mortal wife, as he is eternal. B''Lenna checks in with El Capitan. Tuvok is not well. Barclay is also old & hosed and proposes a toast.

We learn of the Borg in CGI San Francisco. Is that Barclay?! Admiral Janeway excuses herself and gets into some shady poo poo.

K-Mew checks in on Tuvok, who has had a psychotic break. I have just noticed that Janeway does that same kind of weirdo voice modulation that Bane from out of Batman does, which is super-cool.

Janeway is off.

The Doctor checks The Janeways health. The Doctor expresses his appreciation for MILFs

Janeway Requires Space Drugs

It was Barclay. He sees Janeway off.

Chakoty is dead. Didn't we not just see him? Ah, it is Seven.

BACK TO THE PAST we get some skippable nonsense.
It really should have been JanewayxChacotay over the incomprehensible SevenxChakoty angle.

Eyeball death borg plays kerplunk. He wrecks Tuvok's poo poo.

Harry is the worst.

Tuvok's mind is going. Don't forget, he's real old.

gently caress off, Neelix

Ah, thank god,some space bullshti., A wormhole? Janeway is totally hitting on Kim.

Back in the future, Tuvok flips out. The Doc interrogates Future Reg.

Some Klingon bullshit. Janeway is aggressively horned up

Back in the past, it's the fukken borg queen. She leaves The Voyager alone, because...

Harry is aggressively horned up. He accosts Paris.

Chakotay is aggressively horned up. He accosts Seven.

Seriously. All of you. Keep it in your pants.

Seven gets De-Borged. The Doctor is aggressively horned up. Jesus Christ

Future Janeway steals some Klingon poo poo. Janeway seriously has the coolest loving diction

She completely owns Harry poo poo and sends him on his way

Past Seven and Chakoty do... whatever

Future Janeway and Harry are actually aligned and do some bullshit

Future Janeway tells past Janeway they are going home . The Borg Queen watches on because this is literally a cartoon

Janeway vs. Janeway gets really camp.

The Janeways hatch a plan. Have I mention just how cool Janeway's vocal stylings are.

The Borg Queen psychically projects at 7 and gets unnecessarily horned up. Just assume everybody involved is acting like a 1940s femme fatale unless otherwise specified

Tom loving Paris acts like a 1940s femme fatale. Was this show actually good?

Borg Fight. Space Amour.

Some Borgs explode. Trans Warp Hub

Janeway fight.

Warp nonsense.

The dream team hatch a plan. The Janeways hash it out. They attempt to out husky voice each other. Then they start Really Dramatically Whispering

BOLD NOTION: Voyager is Good

Tuvok Dying. 7 & Future Janeway get real dramatic

Harry loving Kim gives a stirring monologue. Was everyone just on tip-top form this day or has The Roni destroyed my mind?

Janeway vs Janeway camp-fest once again

Janeway vs Janeway camp-fest once again

Old Janeway goes on her way. Things get weird with 7 and Chocatay. It all gets a bit Days of Our lives.

And then again with the T'ores/Paris. This mess is vacillating between High Camp enjoyable and A Soap Opera faster than I can scribe

Borg stuff.

Janeway accosts the Borg.Yes, once again things get weird. They cut a deal.

This is power rangers

Borg dude campily assimilates Old Janeway. But it is all a ruse.

Borgs die, poo poo explodes.

Mind War Old Janeway dies

Oh, it is Paris's dad.

V'ger arrives home and a baby is born. No moral. Maybe it is just poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Endgame is 45 minutes of waiting for the five minutes at the end to happen, and 45 minutes of zero dramatic weight because the ship has literal plot armor and the writers gave zero fucks anymore because they wanted the show dead and buried.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Endgame is 45 minutes of waiting for the five minutes at the end to happen, and 45 minutes of zero dramatic weight because the ship has literal plot armor and the writers gave zero fucks anymore because they wanted the show dead and buried.

Watching it even as a kid, I knew that ending was absolute "phone it in" poo poo.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

This may just be an excuse to link another Garak scene because it doesn’t have anything to do with lying but there is also the scene at the end Cardassian/Romulan 2 parter with Odo which is in Garak’s shop

https://youtu.be/ofmTGCvYCag

Apparently Auberjonois couldn't be at the shoot that day so they improvised this instead, using Odo's stunt double as the stand-in and the dirty mirror to mask the substitution. What a happy accident, the way all the focus is on Garak while the mirror emphasizes Odo's ambiguous feelings at that moment (not to mention his fundamental formlessness as a changeling) makes this perfect. :allears:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Rewatching some DS9 episodes I skipped previously because the plot summary sounded meh and saw some stuff with Nog joining Starfleet that I missed before.

Nog is good. Rom is good too.

(RIP Nog's actor)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

Apparently Auberjonois couldn't be at the shoot that day so they improvised this instead, using Odo's stunt double as the stand-in and the dirty mirror to mask the substitution. What a happy accident, the way all the focus is on Garak while the mirror emphasizes Odo's ambiguous feelings at that moment (not to mention his fundamental formlessness as a changeling) makes this perfect. :allears:

neat

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Parts Kit posted:

Rewatching some DS9 episodes I skipped previously because the plot summary sounded meh and saw some stuff with Nog joining Starfleet that I missed before.

Nog is good. Rom is good too.

(RIP Nog's actor)

The Ferengi actors slowly become the best thing about DS9, second only to Garak. Zek is the only semi-weak Ferengi character but that’s excusable when he’s still played by Wallace Shawn.

The one where Quark goes home to deal with his rebellious mother and has to navigate the bureaucracy is low-key one of my favorite episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The one where Quark equates greed with self improvement to convince the wormhole aliens to undo their de-evolution of Zek is great because he ends up annoying them into fixing the issue.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm now imagining some contemporary hacky version of this where instead of using a creative trick to hide the stunt double and end up with a beautifully shot scene, they just create a CG frankenstein by superimposing Rene Auberjonois' face a la Cats. his face swimming around on the head with every slight movement.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

piratepilates posted:

I'm now imagining some contemporary hacky version of this where instead of using a creative trick to hide the stunt double and end up with a beautifully shot scene, they just create a CG frankenstein by superimposing Rene Auberjonois' face a la Cats. his face swimming around on the head with every slight movement.

Although that would be sort of a cool Odo effect in general

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Ferengi actors slowly become the best thing about DS9, second only to Garak. Zek is the only semi-weak Ferengi character but that’s excusable when he’s still played by Wallace Shawn.

The one where Quark goes home to deal with his rebellious mother and has to navigate the bureaucracy is low-key one of my favorite episodes.
Clearly they should have made a spin off of DS9 that was like Cheers, only about Quark's.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But nobody knows garak's name!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Burn Notice but it's Garak.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Garak, A man nobody knows

(guitar riff starts to build and intensify into a crescendo)

UNTRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTH

3... 2... 1... Tall tale! I'm here for fun
Tailor number one
(What are you saying?)
(Frustration! No one can stop me!)
One Lie! That's it! I always win!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
what if garak really is a humble tailor and the tailor business in cardassia is just very cutthroat?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Although that would be sort of a cool Odo effect in general

Now I'm imagining just one episode that went all Cronenberg with Odo and had him sliming around and loving up his transformations like The Thing :allears:

Basically the DS9 counterpart to TNG's "Conspiracy".

The General
Mar 4, 2007

dudeness posted:

Garak would look rad in that red Satan suit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

Now I'm imagining just one episode that went all Cronenberg with Odo and had him sliming around and loving up his transformations like The Thing :allears:

Basically the DS9 counterpart to TNG's "Conspiracy".

If I was a thief or whatever on DS9 and all of a sudden some inconspicuous box turned into a man-sized version of the Spider-Head from The Thing and arrested me, not only would I swear off all crime forever, I’m pretty sure I’d warp the gently caress away from that sector for the rest of my natural life. Odo is a poo poo cop for not taking advantage of his ability to become a horrible monster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
those cgi transformations were very expensive, so they couldn't use them casually. as for much more elaborate and detailed cgi transformations? forget about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

he needs the shirts

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm rewatching Non Sequitur and that Libby is a tasty lady. Love those eyebrows

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

those cgi transformations were very expensive, so they couldn't use them casually. as for much more elaborate and detailed cgi transformations? forget about it.

We're at the state where Star Trek is prestige TV and if you don't spend ludicrous amounts of money overproducing every single shot then the shareholders will get mad at you for being lazy and not doing your best to make the show profitable.

No I don't know how that works either.

What I do know is that when it comes to cinematography, the underlying skeletal structure of a scene is more important than any amount of CGI or flashy camera work. Sacrifice of Angels looks just as good now as it did in the 90s while the battle at the end of Discovery or the big Lotus ships in Picard look bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

We're at the state where Star Trek is prestige TV and if you don't spend ludicrous amounts of money overproducing every single shot then the shareholders will get mad at you for being lazy and not doing your best to make the show profitable.

No I don't know how that works either.

What I do know is that when it comes to cinematography, the underlying skeletal structure of a scene is more important than any amount of CGI or flashy camera work. Sacrifice of Angels looks just as good now as it did in the 90s while the battle at the end of Discovery or the big Lotus ships in Picard look bad.

i was talking about ds9's production, not the shiny heap of poo poo we have now. it'd be trivially cheap and easy to do odo's rather lackluster shapeshifting today, but no one is going to revisit odo or anything else from ds9. s31 is the only thing from ds9 kurtzmann and his gang of subhumans has any interest in.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I watched Wrath of Khan from start to finish last night. Discovery and Picard are complete poo poo and should never have been made.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Discovery's alright.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DebonaireD posted:

Discovery's alright.

Mods!?!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's true, discovery is only moderately worse than the worst enterprise episodes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Discovery is good if you take into account the Picard Factor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
picard presents the star trek universe only slightly less accurately than tj hooker does. so you know, it's not that bad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The General posted:

Discovery is good if you take into account the Picard Factor.

Disco is good if you spend a few hours editing a Pike supercut.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I mean, the scene is awesome because Garak just spent an episode torturing Odo, a man not known for his forgiving nature, and the moment he spies Odo on the dirty mirror Garak knows that he's in for some holy retribution, possible expulsion from the station or something a lot worse. Odo, on his part, has just spent the last episode being tortured by Garak, finally spilling his guts out, and is probably half a mind to throw the book at Garak as hard as he can. However, he also knows that he has a kindred spirit and a possible friend in Garak and decides to follow his better instincts instead. That we cannot make out Odo from the mirror tells us everything we have to know about his emotional state and the ongoing struggle with his changeling identity. All the while the camera stays focused on Andrew Robinson conveying the entire range of emotion from sadness to resentment to fear to eventual surprise on the face of a man who has learned to stay alive by keeping those emotions at check at all times and only the corners of his mouth and eyes divulge the storm inside. No cuts, a single shot that lets the theatrical composition of the scene work its magic.

Modern day Trek would deliberately gently caress this up in every way possible way to sap it out of the last drop of meaningful drama and replace all of it with PRESTIGE TV.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

Disco is good if you spend a few hours editing a Pike supercut.

If CBS had a lick of sense, they'd have taken one look at Ansem Mount's performance in Disco season 2 and started trying to cobble together a Star Trek: Early Years spinoff show immediately :colbert:. Not like they don't have THE most important set ready to go or anything...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If CBS had a lick of sense, they'd have taken one look at Ansem Mount's performance in Disco season 2 and started trying to cobble together a Star Trek: Early Years spinoff show immediately :colbert:. Not like they don't have THE most important set ready to go or anything...

The fan reaction to Pike, New-new-spock, and the Enterprise was loud enough to be heard by studio execs sticking their heads out the window. . . which leads me to believe it will never happen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Blistex posted:

The fan reaction to Pike, New-new-spock, and the Enterprise was loud enough to be heard by studio execs sticking their heads out the window. . . which leads me to believe it will never happen.

It's almost a certainty that some eager young executive producer walked out of a C-level suite, hat in hand, after some corporate idiot shot down their idea for Star Trek: Pike because it would compete with said corporate idiot's pet project, Star Trek: Section 31.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
DS9 made it seem like Section 31 had only one operative who is the entire bureau and that is the only interpretation of Section 31 that I respect.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Applewhite posted:

DS9 made it seem like Section 31 had only one operative who is the entire bureau and that is the only interpretation of Section 31 that I respect.

That makes very little sense because Sloan clearly has some resources to keep himself semi-hidden. A more accurate read is that section 31 is probably just 10-20 people who have wormed their way into critical but not necessarily high ranking positions throughout Starfleet. They don't have any real power but are capable of going undetected and causing havoc because they have their ears to the right walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Besides the two goons who appear with Sloan in the introductory episode, since they just seem to be muscle, Section 31 had at least three operatives that we know of.

Sloan, Vice Admiral Ross, and Dr. Julian Bashir.