Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FR: Cop bots appear every time you remove your pants.

Hotfix: Define inside/outside re cop bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Once they actually fix pants, though, it's going to be amazing. Used to be the case that it was easier to put new pants on before you take the old ones off, just so you didn't drop a dozen items on the floor.

Now it's much more realistic, you can take off the original pants first. And then you realize the dozen items are still in the pants, and you have to unload them, which makes your character pick them up and wield the pants.

At which point it seems like wielded pants are counted as something you have with pockets again, so if you take anything out of them, the items go into your inventory. Specifically, back into the pants. It's a never-ending loop of pants pockets.

The way around this, as far I can tell, is to dump everything in your pants pockets on the floor, then carefully remove the pants and drop them elsewhere, wear the new ones, and pick everything back up. Which obviously is much better than the old way.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

PiCroft posted:

On the one hand this owns and I’ve been wanting this feature for a long time. On the other hand I can imagine this will probably break the everloving poo poo out of mods, including the big ones like Aftershock.

Also the concept of a character wanting to drop a cellphone they are carrying in their trouser pocket so they conclude that dropping their trousers is the way to go is super funny.

That is pretty funny, but sadly, what happened was even more absurd. My character was keeping the cellphone in the pocket of their hoodie.

The bug is somewhere in the advanced inventory menu. Don't use it or things happen. It's very easy to generate nones (placeholder items to keep the game from crashing with zero weight or volume) or drop something you didn't want to.

On the bright side, people are doing absurd things all over the place, like putting socks into hip flasks, or assault rifles into hydration packs. I'm calling it the "ship-in-a-bottle" bug.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 4, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks for the responses, sounds like it mostly got its poo poo together.

I can't find such a post.

Ms Adequate posted:

Hate to make such a low quality post but I haven't played CDDA in about three years and suddenly I'm feeling the itch, is there a quick overview anywhere of stuff that's changed? I looked at the latest release log and there's a lot there, but I've obviously missed quite a bit before that as well.

I'm not normally averse to diving in to roguelikes and finding out the proper hard way, but I'm here to get hype for new poo poo and also try not to get caught out by old habits that might now be fatal rather than helpful.

Leal posted:

Before getting hooked again I took a haitus about that long, off the top of my head since I last played they:

Add a metric fuckload of professions but who cares when unwilling mutant lab escape start is right there
Speaking of labs, there are now research labs which are like regular labs but the top floor is like a campus with multiple floors.
Zone function has been added, so you can mark a spot as unsorted, then mark a place you want your food in, your ammo, etc and you can hit shift + O to organize your junk.
... Or you can get your NPC buddies to do it, who also have a ton of new functions added to them.
Now you can properly packmule them and trade out gear without needing to barter for it.
You can also talk to your NPC friends for a mood bonus
You can use zones to set up blueprints and have an NPC build the thing
You can give books to NPCs to read and gain skills
Refugee center has a bunch of quests
Wanderer spawns isn't so rear end
Sadly mutations are still aaaaaaasssssssss
Bionics requires finding an autodoc to install CBMs
Hunger system is changed to be calories based and food needs time to digest and its really loving weird and you'll be going through 4 MREs a day wondering why your survivor is anorexic
Oh and you need your vitamins. Don't rely on supplements cause that'll give you a disease
Loot has been greatly increased so you should be able to find useful stuff like tools more easily
A bunch of different buildings
Freezer unit for vehicles

There may have been a couple other responses with other misc info as well

fake edit: actually I do think I misread your original post, apologies

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe some containers need a “tiny opening” rag then?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does this mean I can move a dresser and all the crap in it won't fall out? And I can actually keep all my sugar in one bag?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HiroProtagonist posted:

There may have been a couple other responses with other misc info as well

fake edit: actually I do think I misread your original post, apologies
I appreciate you digging this up all the same. Mostly I wanted to know what was still (or newly) broken, but some things on this list do help answer that question anyway.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I believe you need the sanguine codex to make it, but let me pull up my game. It's not obviously labeled as mutagen, which is probably the problem.

Here's the vehicle cooler though:
https://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/mountable_cooler/craft

Three books have the recipe to make it. It's quite powerful, but you'll want a sealed room. I mined out next to my basement.

Here we go, the dragon mutagen is called Blood Effigy, it's arcana 5 cooking 3. To go post threshold you'll need... congealed blood, which takes a putrid heart, and will make you a full dragon. I've not killed the dragon yet so I'm just pre threshold, but it's mostly useful. A few encumbrance penalties, but some nice extra attacks, some armor, and a beefed up metabolism that makes you heal really quickly if need lots of food and water. Carnivore was the worst, but I purified it easily enough. Keeping cannibal, it lets me dissect human cyborgs without getting sad.

Btw thanks for clarifying this for me, I honestly would never have guessed that. I want to try out the vehicle cooler now but I’m just trying to get a fridge up and running. It’s annoying finding a butcher shop and knowing that most of it is going to rot before I can get a fridge up and running.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
"once they fix pants" I don't even play this game but I love reading about it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I've developed a new form of appreciation for all the random animals I am finding inside locked houses

Hunting is a lot easier if they can't run away from you :ssh:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The best part is they start laying more eggs after awhile. Got Deluxe Scrambled Eggs for days.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is there a win condition for this game yet that you don't set for yourself (like ascension in Nethack, etc.)?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SlyFrog posted:

Is there a win condition for this game yet that you don't set for yourself (like ascension in Nethack, etc.)?

No. The real endgame is throwing your character into ever more dangerous situations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is anyone up to date with the volume numbers for constructible storage containers? My search leads me to believe that bookcases can hold 2000l but I'm not sure if that's still accurate

Caidin posted:

The best part is they start laying more eggs after awhile. Got Deluxe Scrambled Eggs for days.
I thought Leal was joking earlier but now I tend to believe that all these animals spawn from the eggs placed in the fridges when the map gets generated :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I used to be hot poo poo at this game, I am not anymore :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

There are a series of quests with the refugee center that leads to building a new place for NPCs and another series of quests that lead to attacking a necropolis, those can be considered a victory condition. You can also build up your own base, think of it as something like "And thus the bionic catgirl with a crippling crack addiction started the slow return of civilization."

Tin Tim posted:

Is anyone up to date with the volume numbers for constructible storage containers? My search leads me to believe that bookcases can hold 2000l but I'm not sure if that's still accurate

I thought Leal was joking earlier but now I tend to believe that all these animals spawn from the eggs placed in the fridges when the map gets generated :v:

You can use the advance inventory sorting that'll show how much the max liters the spot can hold.

Also I wasn't kidding, chicks hatch from eggs, even rotten ones.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tin Tim posted:

out here buyin' a dozen fertilized rattlesnake eggs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What about powdered eggs? :v:

Though how does it determine what to hatch from the eggs?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I would assume it has a list of animals that can spawn from the pre-placed eggs and then rolls if it's a chicken or a duck or whatever :shrug:

Leal posted:

You can use the advance inventory sorting that'll show how much the max liters the spot can hold.
Thx

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Leal posted:

There are a series of quests with the refugee center that leads to building a new place for NPCs and another series of quests that lead to attacking a necropolis, those can be considered a victory condition. You can also build up your own base, think of it as something like "And thus the bionic catgirl with a crippling crack addiction started the slow return of civilization."

Hmmm. This might be good enough for me, thanks! I don't have to have something the ends the game and has a "You Win!" screen, but I don't usually play games that are basically pure sandboxes without quests and in-game generated goals. I think this might be good enough, since it sounds like a great game otherwise.

Thanks again.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Do animals need food to eat? I've found a farm with a fenced off chicken coop with a few chickens in, and I'm using that as a base while I work through a nearby massive town, so I'm wondering how far into the farming life I can go.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Animals don't need food, but there is some animal food in game that is used to tame them. So feeding cow fodder will make cows become friendly and follow you, same for dog food and dogs, etc.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Between the chickens, fields, and water pump I think I've got the perfect base for raising this town now, even managed to find a working ambulance on the outskirts of the town to ferry stuff back and forth, so it looks like I'm sorted.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SlyFrog posted:

Hmmm. This might be good enough for me, thanks! I don't have to have something the ends the game and has a "You Win!" screen, but I don't usually play games that are basically pure sandboxes without quests and in-game generated goals. I think this might be good enough, since it sounds like a great game otherwise.

Thanks again.

I have the same problem with Cataclysm, it's a shame because I love the gameplay loops but not having a real goal makes it extremely difficult for me to keep motivated to play for long enough to get to the really fun stuff. I mostly just stick my head in every time they add some big new features and play around until I get bored. It's still fun!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Do cellphones in this game even have a use beyond their batteries?

Waiting for the realism update that makes cellphone batteries non-removable.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
If you don't have a wristwatch or similar, they let you know the exact time, and I believe they additionally tell you the phase of the moon.

Beyond that, you can use them as a roughly (exactly?) candle-level light source.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

You can light up the screen to illuminate the tile you're standing on to read/craft at night or in dark rooms. Also you can gut them for parts

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just came across a prepper's house. God drat

E: And the center kegs are full of homebrew beer

E2: ignoring all the various flavorings like honey, syrups, coffe etc. I'm walking out with nearly 200 pounds of canned and dried food

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 4, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thinking about those beans

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone know how to get rid of the "you need to eat more calorie dense food" message?
My character has been mostly eating scrambled eggs and horse meat.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Found a pair of NPCs in a desolate barn on the side of the road. One was a hallucinating psycho who chased me around with a trench knife, got stuck on a tree, and took 6 rounds of 30-06 to bring down, and the other gave me a quest to find a relic that I could hear despite being deaf from only having a makeshift silencer and no earplugs.
Still in the middle of nowhere.

Then down the road I found a mostly intact APC with an M2 turret. It's just mocking me, I keep finding all this stuff, but I dont have the tools to install it or more storage space.
I think the most sensible course of action is to strip off what I can and stash it for later.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Arven posted:

Do cellphones in this game even have a use beyond their batteries?

Waiting for the realism update that makes cellphone batteries non-removable.

In addition to what Stathol and Tin Tim said, you can use it as an alarm clock when you sleep.

I massively lucked out with my starting shelter NPC, he has mastodon mutations which made him Large, and has Pointed Tusks. He's an absolute loving mosnter and pounds the ever loving poo poo out of any zombies who come close in like one or two hits.

I'm just towing him around and standing back and watching the fireworks, he's made my incursions for loot pretty easy. Might nickname him my "Tusken Raider".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

Anyone know how to get rid of the "you need to eat more calorie dense food" message?
My character has been mostly eating scrambled eggs and horse meat.

You need to eat a silly amount to make it stop. I remember when I was getting it I killed a moose and I swear I ate about 20% of its meat in one day and the message finally stopped.

Quick question, my all in one workshop is coming along perfectly, do liquids in vehicle containers get accounted for when crafting? Or should I stick with a standing tank for food crafting water?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes, if you can access them. Keep a rubber hose handy.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes, if you can access them. Keep a rubber hose handy.

Water faucet?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

My hoarding habits have led me to discover that furniture not only has a storage limit in volume but also another independent limit for the total number of items it can hold :negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Water faucet?

I think that only works for water.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So does anyone know how to get into the locked fuel storage containers that spawn at some gas stations and the like? Because I have no idea if that’s possible or not.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

You can just pay and pump the gas from the container into the pumps. It's not like money has other important uses outside of that and vending machines I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Restarted after the new inventory system hosed my save :( Should have listened to Goons!

Whats a good melee weapon until I can go the CBM route? Copper Spear is great but needs loving planks to repair which I don't have and haven't come across.